D&D 5E Tired of doing WotC's job

Nebulous

Legend
I've been running a new game online and its been ok. Today, one of the PCs failed to save against a wererat's bite and has lycanthropy. This was just as we ended the session. So, I took some time to research it and found very little information. Just that it is a curse and can be removed with remove curse. Some questions arose:
is it magical? can you detect it with*detect magic*? if so, why can't you use dispel magic? is the target aware they are cursed? and so on.

I guess the cool thing is you can modify/tailor the effects specifically for your own campaign. I had a PC nearly killed by a wereboar in ToA. I rolled the save for the PC, he failed, I never mentioned anything about lycanthropy, but he started having bad dreams on a long rest. REALLY bad dreams, where he was eviscerating his allies and drinking their blood. He would wake up exhausted. He didn't actually transform until weeks later, and it took the entire party by surprise, the inflicted character too. They had to literally hog tie him and hang him from a tree until he turned back to his normal shape.

Reynard

Legend
I suspect the disagreement comes down to two diametrically opposed philosophies. For some people "there's a rule for that!" increases their enjoyment, and for others it (or too much of it) gets in the way.
I don't think it is simply about rules, or exclusively so. The mention of the cost of cloak is revealing: the OP appears to want (among other things) rulebooks that help the world feel complete and full and lived in. Are those rules? Maybe, maybe not. But they do provide a certain something that leaving everything up to the DM might not.
For my part, I have decided to Stop Worrying and Play 5E. That is to say, I have many of the same concerns as the @dnd4vr but I finally decided to just roll with it.

G

Guest 6801328

I don't think it is simply about rules, or exclusively so. The mention of the cost of cloak is revealing: the OP appears to want (among other things) rulebooks that help the world feel complete and full and lived in. Are those rules? Maybe, maybe not. But they do provide a certain something that leaving everything up to the DM might not.

Yeah, I was counting those as rules, in the sense of "something written down that tells the DM exactly how to handle a given situation."

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
is it magical? can you detect it with*detect magic*? if so, why can't you use dispel magic? is the target aware they are cursed? and so on.

Compared to the amount of information in prior editions, 5E is severely lacking.

I just read the 3e entry for lycanthropy. Guess what? It does not answer any of those questions either.

So I checked 4e. Nope, doesn't answer them either.

Mind you I think they are all good questions. I just don't see answers in the core books, at least since WOTC took over.

Mistwell

Crusty Old Meatwad (he/him)
My house rules have been the opposite. Maybe 4 pages for 1E/2E, about 10 for 3E and SW d20, and now close to 30 for 5E.

And yes, I can use old sources, but I shouldn't have to IMO. There is not a single rule for lycanthropy in the PHB or DMG for 5E that I have found anyway.

MM - because you get it from...a monster:

Curse of Lycanthropy. A humanoid creature can be afflicted with the curse of lycanthropy after being wounded by a lycanthrope, or if one or both of its parents are lycanthropes. A remove curse spell can rid an afflicted lycanthrope of the curse, but a natural born lycanthrope can be freed of the curse only with a wish.

A lycanthrope can either resist its curse or embrace it. By resisting the curse, a lycanthrope retains its normal alignment and personality while in humanoid form. It lives its life as it always has, burying deep the bestial urges raging inside it. However, when the full moon rises, the curse becomes too strong to resist, transforming the individual into its beast form — or into a horrible hybrid form that combines animal and humanoid traits. When the moon wanes, the beast within can be controlled once again. Especially if the cursed creature is unaware of its condition, it might not remember the events of its transformation, though those memories often haunt a lycanthrope as bloody dreams.

Some individuals see little point in fighting the curse and accept what they are. With time and experience, they learn to master their shapechanging ability and can assume beast form or hybrid form at will. Most lycanthropes that embrace their bestial natures succumb to bloodlust, becoming evil, opportunistic creatures that prey on the weak.

...A non-lycanthrope humanoid hit by an attack that carries the curse of lycanthropy must succeed on a Constitution saving throw (DC 8 + the lycanthrope’s proficiency bonus + the lycanthrope’s Constitution modifier) or be cursed. If the character embraces the curse, his or her alignment becomes the one defined for the lycanthrope...etc.

[Honestly I think you picked a bad example. If these are your questions about lycanthropy, I think you'd run into the same questions in all versions of the game. And they're a tad EASIER to find in my opinion in 5e than in some other editions. It's just...they give about the same level of information as all the prior versions of the game did.]

Remove ads