D&D 5E Tired of doing WotC's job

G

Guest 6801328

An inviolate rule at our table is this: if it's not written on your character sheet, you don't have it.

This to prevent people from "just happening" to have the right tool or mundane item at the right moment when logically they'd never have thought to buy and-or carry such a thing. And though by no means do I enforce encumbrance to the letter, having one's gear listed in detail at least allows me to do a vague audit now and then if something seems really screwy.

I'm pretty much the opposite. If the rogue wants to say, "I just happen to have a small bag of marbles!", then I want to see where the story goes. I'm not sure how it makes the game more fun to make them go shopping in each town, and keep track of this stuff.

Lanefan

Victoria Rules
I'm pretty much the opposite. If the rogue wants to say, "I just happen to have a small bag of marbles!", then I want to see where the story goes. I'm not sure how it makes the game more fun to make them go shopping in each town, and keep track of this stuff.
We like at least a vague nod to realism in our games, which in this case includes that if you want to have something like a bag of marbles on hand you need to have had enough forethought to pick it up ahead of time.

That, and the "just happen to have" idea completely dismisses the otherwise very realistic frustration of "oh, if only we had...", which forces players/PCs to either improvise a replacement or to abandon that idea for something else. (in last night's session, for example, the PCs needed to pry open a door and nobody had any suitable tools at all on hand; so they improvised with daggers, and a few bent-and-now-useless daggers later they got it open)

G

Guest 6801328

We like at least a vague nod to realism in our games, which in this case includes that if you want to have something like a bag of marbles on hand you need to have had enough forethought to pick it up ahead of time.

How does that have anything to do with realism. Have you ever needed something IRL, and somebody just happened to have it?

That, and the "just happen to have" idea completely dismisses the otherwise very realistic frustration of "oh, if only we had...", which forces players/PCs to either improvise a replacement or to abandon that idea for something else. (in last night's session, for example, the PCs needed to pry open a door and nobody had any suitable tools at all on hand; so they improvised with daggers, and a few bent-and-now-useless daggers later they got it open)

That's fair, but letting people "happen to have" something doesn't have to be a license to have anything. And/or it could require a roll.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
How does that have anything to do with realism. Have you ever needed something IRL, and somebody just happened to have it?
Agreed. It has nothing to do with realism; having the item or NOT having the item are both equally valid things to happen within the game world.

It's really a function of the players and the playstyle, it's the desire to recognize forethought and strategic planning as laudable play goals. Which are perfectly fine play goals to have, they're simply not universal.

G

Guest 6801328

it's the desire to recognize forethought and strategic planning as laudable play goals.

I agree with that, if there's some kind of in-game information to act on. But what if it's just a combination of a) buying everything in the PHB and b) having enough experience as a D&D player to know what kinds of things are useful?

Are those behaviors worth rewarding? Is that really "forethought" and "strategic planning", or gamism?

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
I agree with that, if there's some kind of in-game information to act on. But what if it's just a combination of a) buying everything in the PHB and b) having enough experience as a D&D player to know what kinds of things are useful?

Are those behaviors worth rewarding? Is that really "forethought" and "strategic planning", or gamism?
I dunno. But obviously Lanefan finds it worth rewarding, so there must be some rationale behind it.

I am a strong proponent for "if it's something the character would have bought and brought they probably have it". Just because they are obeying the commands of some foolish 21st century Earth person for this phase of their life doesn't mean a Rogue inclined towards carrying a bag of marbles would forget his bag of marbles.

Just don't do it too often if there is a Conjuration Wizard in the party. Providing for unforeseen mundane item needs is what they live for.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases