Tirlanolir/D'nemy's Tales of Turgos: The Heroes of Goldfire Glen (UPDATE 7/26)

iStrider said:
Another couple of great updates! I cannot wait for the next installment!

My sentiments exactly.

Very sad to see Lilian bite the dust again. But, I assume that means there will be a new PC to look forward to.

Canaan said:
“Oh, shove it, you pansy!” Shouted Hu Li. “Get out of our way or be fed to the Eyeless Hollow Ones!”

And have I mentioned that, even if he's as great a threat to friend as to foe, I really like Hu Li. :D

Canaan

First Post
Chapter 35: Farewell

HOHB,

Thanks for tuning in! The story is about to take an interesting twist.

But for my faith in Canaan, I fear I would have succumbed to the maddening vistas of the Far Realm. If what I saw there was indeed real and not imagined or some queer defect in my capacity to perceive, we live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far. The schools of arcane magic, each straining in its own direction, have hitherto harmed us little; but some day the piecing together of dissociated knowledge will open up such terrifying vistas of reality, and of our frightful position therein, that we shall either go mad from the revelation or flee from the deadly light into the peace and safety of a new dark age.

The screeching was so piercing that I thought my ears might bleed from the effort of hearing it. It was a repetitive sound that took some time to distinguish as actual speech. This is my best effort at committing to paper that which I heard: Ph’nlgui mglw’nafh Cthulhu R’lyeh wgah’nagl fhtagn. I know not what it means, but it is terrifying even to this day. Merely writing it has taken such supreme will that I must now rest.

I have decided that of the things I learned on my journey no more must be told. There is a secret that even torture could not extract from me. But make no mistake, Mankind is not absolutely alone among the conscious things of the earth, for the shapes came out of the dark and made their presence known. I wish I never learned what secrets lay just beyond the veil of awareness. Are they here now? Or are they sealed away in that place of madness. I shall never know.

I was at first envious of the unconscious Hu Li, who escaped that terrifying assault on the senses and mind. Perhaps it is a technique learned from his training with Balian that allowed him to so easily numb his mind and body to the horrors around him. Although I suspect that it is instead a defense he developed to the insanity that must have constantly beleaguered him as Balian’s pupil in that dark, mysterious tower. Recognizing the danger that lay along the path of jealousy, I quickly threw off the mood, praying to Canaan for His forgiveness of my momentary weakness.

Talon had managed through by his meditation in lotus-style pose, eyes shut and formidable mind closed like a trap against the insinuations of madness that crept over us in that place.

Rin seemed nearly impervious to its affects. The only outward sign of trouble he exhibited was a melancholy frown. I have no common frame of reference with the half-fiend, so find it difficult to empathize with him. But I know something of Hell and its structure. Bertrand’s Anatomy of Hell and Bishop Vangard’s Treatise of Sin and the Afterlife were required reading in the seminary. Bertrand’s Theory posits that Hell is bifurcated into nine layers, each of which contains its own unmentionable horrors, governed by an overlord of evil. If memory serves, he suggests that some landscapes in Hell are so maddening…. I’m sure they must rival the place we had just been pulled through. Perhaps the melancholy that affected Rin was caused by the memory of home that place evoked in him, rather than exposure to the insanity of the place itself.

Shallahai seemed most affected by our journey. The Green there has been twisted and perverted into some unnatural state. Or was it natural. Perhaps what we see is the perversion and the natural state that lays beyond or tiny world, behind our imperfect veil of security. That question alone is enough to drive one mad. I can see how this journey must have upset Shallahai’s world.

Sometimes the sides of the tunnel were so close, its slime covered sides brushed up against our flesh. Dark things wriggled inside of the walls of that organic tunnel. I know I saw faces pressed up against the walls, in silent screams of agony, trying to burst through. Hands tried to grab for us, to take us into the flesh of the tunnel where we would no doubt remain, trapped in that mad realm.

Finally, after an eternity, we were excreted from the tunnel into Balian’s summoning chamber. Covered in slime that smelled of afterbirth, one by one we began to get up. Wiping the amoebic juices away from my eyes, my vision focused. I saw towering over us Balian the Everwatchful, wearing his characteristic white, open-backed robe. His white hair wild and bushy eyebrows raised.

“You must rest for the evening, my friends. Tomorrow morning we will conduct the ritual.” Balian shrieked.

Hu Li began to incant a spell to wipe away the slime and was interrupted by a backhanded slap from Balian, sending a glob of slime from Hu Li’s cheek flying.

“Don’t! You fool! No magic!” Balian scolded the young wizard.

Hu Li mewled in pain, clutching the side of his face.

I saw Balian’s back then. The ever-present blackened sores oozed clumps of viscous organic fluid, like jelly congealing. They like eight holes about two inches in diameter down the center of his back in two rows.

Balian turned to the rest of us then.

“Arcane magic must not be used before the ritual unless its caster has first been properly cleansed and the incantation burned into the memory through special ritual.”

I nodded. I don’t know why. None among us has the knowledge necessary to perform the slightest cantrip.

I peered over to Shallahai. His eyes were wide with the remnants of fear. But he was cleaning off his clothing and shaking the slime out of his boots, readjusting to our surroundings. His actions were characteristic of one busying himself to forget the unpleasantness of a traumatic experience. It seemed no lasting damage was done. For that, I was thankful. It was times like this that Shallahai seemed human, vulnerable. These times were becoming fewer and farther between, but I cherished every one of them.

The Shuuthian seemed even less-affected than the others. I approached him.

“That was a journey I do not desire to take again.” I started.

“Yes. It is a journey I have now twice taken, the second no better than the first.” The Shuuthian responded.

He turned to Master Balian.

“Good Wizard, where is my horse?” the Shuuthian horse druid asked.

Balian looked at him, considering his request. After a moment, he spoke.

“Your horse is safely stabled next to the tower in an old shed. Orolde has cared for him while you were gone.” Balian nodded to the Shuuthian.

“Thank you, Wizard. I shall take my leave of you then. Since the Succubus has been destroyed, I have reached a dead end. I no longer have a purpose here.” Fer’inj stated.

Balian stared at the druid.

“It was…interesting…meeting your acquaintance, an experience I shall not lightly forget.” Fer’inj’s lip curled ever so slightly in disgust.

“Rest this night, friend. You are free to leave when you wish. But the light of day will speed your travel.” Balian responded, ignoring the Shuuthian’s manner.

“You are too kind.” Fer’inj responded, bowing to Balian, out of respect. The matter was ended, but the Shuuthian was clearly uncomfortable.

“What is this ritual we will be performing and what exactly will be our role in it?” Talon asked Balian.

“I will tell you tomorrow. Now, get some rest. I must continue to prepare for the ritual.” Balian responded. “Orolde has prepared your rooms in the tower. Meet him in the dining hall. He will show you to your rooms and warm baths.”

I was full of questions, chief among which was what was to be done about Lilian’s corpse.

Balian saw my hesitation. “She will be fine here. We will need her for the ritual as well. After all, it was her word that bound the rest of you.”

“But Master Balian, she is dead. How can she help you?” I asked, truly confused.

“You will see tomorrow, apprentice.” Balian responded.

Apprentice. I didn’t feel like much of an apprentice. My studies had not even started to any degree. I had heard it took years to master the arcane arts and that those who sought their mastery with a teacher often spent years performing mind-numbing chores for their masters before any true learning began. But I feel as though I haven’t even started that process with Balian yet. I have been involved in too many events of importance, events beyond my control that this Balian has had a hand in. Perhaps, this is all part of my training after all.

We all turned to leave.

Wait! Hu Li you will attend your duties before you go. It is most important this night that you cleanse the sores upon my back. The girls must be clean for the ritual tomorrow!” Balian nearly screeched.

Hu Li’s shoulders slumped as he turned around and began to walk back to Balian.

“Yes Master.” He responded glumly.

His response reminded me of the house-servant, Orolde’s, manner. What an odd creature, Orolde. It was quite a mystery what could possibly be worth the abuse of staying in the curmudgeonly old wizard’s employ.

I must admit, I didn’t sleep well that night. I was afraid to close my eyes for fear of the horrors my dreams might bring. I spent a good deal of the evening reminiscing about the little time I had with Lilian. It occurred to me with some dismay that Gabriel would have to be told about his sister’s fate.

I did not relish the idea of bearing such bad tidings. It would be hard enough for me to speak about it. But I fear that much more damage would be done in the telling. Hearing such awful news might throw the fragile priest into a depression such that Gabriel may never recover from his current bout with his inner demons. Gabriel, drinking again, the Shuuthian observed. I remembered Lilian’s stories about Gabriel’s drinking at Goldfire Glen. It was clearly a sickness.

The church does provide services to help heal those that have allowed the lure of alcohol to poison their minds. I have seen first hand the vise-like hold that mead can have over a man and its devastating effects. A brother in the seminary suffered from such an affliction. His particular case was quite severe. When the depression got too severe, he nearly hung himself with his platus, a cordlike belt Canaanite priests wear around their mid-sections designating rank. It must have been much like the lure of Corday, the Sirine, in Wiltangle Forest—one single note and before you know it you have succumbed to a lifetime of sweet, sweet song, longing only to escape but never really having the drive to do so.

But I fear that with Father Zigfried in residence at Goldfire Glen, he is not leaping at the opportunity to give Gabriel the support he needs to tear himself away from the bottle and resist its lure. There is something—dare I say—sinister about Father Zigfried. He is so much the zealot, too much so. It has been a long time such we have been in Goldfire Glen, but I don’t suppose his exposure to those who live by the rules of The Green has made him any softer. If anything, my bet is that it has brought him to new levels of anti-Green zealotry. His rhetoric must certainly be rattling the more liberal Baron Underhill. I’ve even heard rumor that the Underhill family has some Halfling blood in its line. If Zigfried knew that....

Orolde woke us systematically and sent us down to breakfast. Balian wouldn’t be joining us, “too busy preparing for the evening ceremony,” Orolde had said in his characteristically glum tone as he waddled down the hall to wake Shallahai.

There wasn’t much talking at breakfast. As I looked around the table I noted the same hollow expression and dark circles under the eyes of most of my companions as I knew must be on my face. The memories of the last couple of days will not quickly fade.

The bleak stone of the tower and its dearth of windows felt too close. The scent of mildew permeated its rooms. Autumn had arrived in earnest. I needed some air.

Crossing the drawbridge, I watched several of the oversized ducks nipping at each other and defecating on the grounds. It reminded me to watch where I stepped, lest I experience an unpleasant surprise. The stuff was positively everywhere and it smelled worse outside than it did in Balian’s Tower.

Despite it all, however, it was a beautiful day. The leaves had started their annual turning, golds, yellows and oranges graced their boughs. A slight breeze stirred the air, bringing a brief respite from the olfactory hell that was the grounds of Balian’s Tower. The air was a bit brisk. I tightened my robe and tied my platus more securely so I could tolerate the chill air.

My ghola robe was filthy. The bottom foot of it was caked in mud from Diamond Lake. It contained gashes from where I had been raked. It bore burn marks from those Dark-Sider blasts. My blood and that of my friends and foes alike adorned it. While I never was one to enjoy the excess of the church, for example, choosing to forego wearing the thawqin of a fully ordained priest with its inlaid precious metals, in favor of the acolyte’s ghola, I must look the part of the beggar.

I sighed and looked to the heavens. It had been a long journey from that day I met Shale near here. Though mere weeks have passed, I have in that time become much closer to Canaan, learning to channel more of His divine grace through my prayers. Even now, I feel myself on the cusp of greater enlightenment.

Sounds of movement behind me lifted me out of my reverie.

“The Green graces us with yet another beautiful day.” Shallahai announced as he approached me with a slight smile.

The hollow look was gone from his eyes.

“And I thank The Goddess that my feet are planted firmly in her bosom.” He continued, the smile disappearing as a dark thought momentarily passed him.

“Much have we been through, friend.” I said, clapping Shallahai firmly on the shoulder with a smile.

The smile returned to his face. “Yes, my friend.”

Shallahai looked around him into the distance.

“But something dark lays just over the horizon and I fear it is something beyond any of us.” He turned to me, eyes blazing white with the introspective insight of The Green.

My smile faded, “what do you see, Shallahai?” I asked. My voice trembled slightly.

“Death and rebirth. But not in the natural way. A merger. I know not what it means. But be ready when it happens.” He warned.

“Ready for what?” I asked.

Shallahai didn’t answer me.

Of all of us, the changes wrought in Shallahai over the past few weeks were the most profound. The Green’s Answer, he called himself. But what was he really? An Avatar—perhaps a physical manifestation of a part of The Green? Whatever he was, I was happy to have him on my side. For the power he could channel was so primal, so devastating, that I shudder to think what would happen if he turned that energy against the people of Turgos.

Fer’inj had bathed and washed his clothes. His boots were laced for traveling as he came to greet Shallahai and I on the tower grounds.

“I will be going soon my friends. I will never forget fighting by your side. There are few experiences as bonding as fighting together for one’s life. As my people say, ‘no words need express the bond of battle.’ You will not be forgotten.” Fer’inj smiled.

“Where will you go?” Shallahai asked.

“Back home, to Shuuth. I will speak with my order and try to unravel the mystery of the Succubus.” Fer’inj responded.

“Yes, the Succubus. She does represent a mystery. What was she doing in Shuuth?” I asked.

“What do you mean?” Shallahai asked.

“The Succubus killed the merchant in Shuuth and then came here in his disguise. If she merely meant to hide, she could have killed any merchant in Turgos, perhaps one from Mage Point or Tarsis. Why the need to travel to Shuuth for that purpose? I’d wager that was not the reason she was in Shuuth.” I responded.

“Then why?” Shallahai asked.

Hu Li joined us just then.

“What are we talking about?” He interrupted.

“Evora was just postulating that the Succubus was in Shuuth for some nefarious reason other than to kill the merchant.” Shallahai explained.

“Well, of course she was. I didn’t know you were that dim priest.” Hu Li responded.

I sighed.

“Ok, I’ll bite. Why do you think she was there, Hu Li?” I asked.

“Well didn’t Duke Devonhilt tell you that Malfoy was raising an army to invade the Wildlands?” Hu Li asked.

“Yes. But what does that have to do with the price of tea in the Thassaline?” I asked.

Hu Li rolled his eyes and sighed. Then he began to explain as if talking to a child.

“Where will all of the able-bodied men of Turgos be when Malfoy invades the Wildlands?” Hu Li asked rhetorically and paused for impact.

"And didn't the Succubus free Veshra so that Veshra could free Kharas'Vhoories? If Allustan is correct, where will all the attention of all of the beings of power in Turgos be focused when Kharas'Vhoories is freed?" Hu Li finished.

Shallahai and I looked at each other simultaneously, our expressions flooding with understanding.

“Shuuth is going to invade Turgos!” Shallahai exclaimed.

I gasped. “Why didn’t you say something sooner, Hu Li!” I yelled.

Hu Li rolled his eyes dramatically….again.

“I didn’t think it needed spelling out. It was quite obvious to me once the Shuuthian explained the circumstances of his presence in Turgos.” Hu Li responded exasperatedly. “Did you even go to school?” He asked rhetorically and walked away.

I watched the wizard retreat into the tower, mouth agape.

“Fer’inj, you must discover if this rumor is true.” Shallahai said.

“I intend to, my friends. If Shuuth intends to invade Turgos due to the machinations of a succubus, only the infernal host will gain from such an endeavor. I will find out what I can and try to get word to you.” Fer’inj smiled and clasped Shallahai’s hand.

“Thank you, Fer’inj.” I said, smiling slightly.

“I must go now. It is growing dark, your ritual will begin shortly. This place makes me uncomfortable.” Fer’inj stated as he got up and brushed himself off.

Shallahai and I rose together.

“Farewell, friend.” I said, clasping Fer’inj’s hand in friendship.

“Farewell.” He replied.

After the druid was off, Shallahai and I returned to our meditations. I silently prayed to Canaan that Fer’inj would make it safely home.

Several hours passed.

“Balian is ready for us.” Talon emerged from the Tower and beckoned to us.

“Coming.” I answered for both of us.

“Come on, Shallahai, it is time.” I smiled as I rose and offered my hand to the druid. He took it and rose.

“Now we shall see what all of this mystery is about.” The Druid responded.

Canaan

First Post
Hu Li is quite the character. After the next story arc he goes into NPC status. :( In truth, throughout most of the story he was controlled by me, because the player only showed up to wreak havoc once in a while :)

Another PC, Villst Mifsud, joins the crew shortly. He takes over as comic relief, because his player is just so damm funny...

looking....

j/k

Anywho, Lilian Evenshire, Favored Soul of Canaan. Is she gone for good? Only time will tell....

PwrMnky

First Post
villst

OH MY GOD....

I can't wait. I can tell already, he is going to be my favorite character. Full of charm, beauty and biting social commentary.

MAN!
I keep on reading this thing like, "blahblahblha ... notVillst ... blahblahblah ... notVillst ...."

Finally ... the time has come!

Canaan

First Post
Chapter 36: Balian Revealed

Balian placed the Book of Abu-Abai on a small pedestal table near the entrance to the dank, torch-lit summoning chamber; the book that Balian had recovered from Hu Li after the errant apprentice pilfered it from the wizened old mage. I recognized it by the screaming face on its leather, hide-like cover, appearing to try to break free from its binding. Was it made of human skin? I wondered.

We filed in, one by one. A cloying scent of mildew, vinegar and rotting rose petals assailed our senses. Balian closed the heavy iron doors behind us. He seemed old, then, and frail—older and frailer than usual. Perhaps it was the strain of his preparatory vigil, or perhaps it was merely an illusion created by the enormity of the doors against his thin frame.

He wore only a long gray kilt. It was unsettling seeing the perpetual oozing sores, leaking black ichor down his back. He called them girls, yesterday. Did he name them? I shuddered involuntarily.

“Apprentice.” Balian said, his back still to us. “Should this thing go…wrong, take the Book of Abu-Abai and let my wisdom guide you.” Balian turned around then and winked at me.

“Yes M—.” Hu Li and I both began, startling each other. Hu Li glared at me.

“What do you mean, wizard, ‘If this thing goes wrong?’” Rin asked menacingly.

Balian’s eyes locked onto Rin’s. “I mean, demon, that fail-safes have been put into place. Do not worry.” Balian’s tone matched Rin’s.

For a moment, I thought Rin would lash out at the wizened mage, but after a pregnant pause, Rin accepted Balian’s response with a mild nod toward the man.

Balian shuffled past us toward the center of the cold stone chamber. The soft sound of leather scraping on stone followed him.

In the chamber’s center was a pentagram carved into the floor and surrounded by a circle. At each point of the pentagram was a lit black candle. Several identical innately carved daggers lay equidistantly around the perimeter of the circle. As I approached the circle, I could see that its outline was a trough of sorts, dug into the floor. The hairs on my arms stood erect and my skin prinkled as I waived my hand in the air above the pentagram. The waves of power emanating from that circle were staggering!

Lilian’s corpse lay next to one of the daggers. Balian walked across the floor, careful to walk around the outside of the circle, taking a position directly opposite Lilian. Hu Li took his spot to Balian’s left.

“Everyone gather around the circle. Do not enter the circle. Step up to the dagger and take it in your right hand.” Balian commanded.

We all did as he said, but found that there were one too many of us. Preoccupied with the workings of the circle, I was last to take a position around it.

Seeing no spots left I was at a loss for what do to. “Master Balian. There are not enough spots around the circle. What would you have me do?” I asked.

“You must use your prayers to bolster my abilities for the ritual. Once you have completed that task, go to Lilian’s spot and take up the dagger at her position.” Balian responded in his characteristically shrill voice. It echoed through the chamber.

“Once the ritual begins, it cannot be interrupted. Nobody can leave their designated spot. Everyone must do exactly as I say, the consequences of failure are…..” Balian shuddered as he trailed of in his admonition to us.

I finished my prayers to Canaan, asking that His Holiness bolster Balian, using every miracle I could think of. For I knew that whatever it was that was so frightening as to cause Balian to shudder, it was something I for certain did not want to see come to pass. Then I took my spot next to Lilian’s corpse.

“Let the calling begin!” Balian howled. A crackling purple halo of energy surrounded him.

A calling. I cringed. Rin’s mouth opened in surprise. Shallahai glanced at me with a worried expression. Have faith, I told myself. I tried to reassure Shallahai with a look. But I couldn’t muster the confidence. All color drained from my face.

Only Talon seemed unaffected by hearing those words. In fact, he seemed almost curious; the twin incongruous effects of his intense mental training and Half-Faean impulses.

Balian chanted for what seemed like minutes, uttering complex incantations in a language so ancient I didn’t even recognize it.

I had taken my place at Lilian’s side.

Balian raised his hands out to his sides. Purple energy began lancing out from them to his left and right. As Balian’s magic leapt from his hands to the adjacent spots, Hu Li and Rin, who were to his left and right, began writhing. Their arms raised involuntarily, outstretched to their sides. The crackling purple energy engulfed them both. It was as if it was feeding off of them. After a few seconds, the energy proceeded around the circle to the others.

I was terrified. I had never before experienced anything like this. Balian’s magic seemed insidious, draining energy or power from those participating in the ritual. I could see the pain in their faces before the energy hit me. It took all of my faith in Canaan to stand where I was, not to flee.

Sweat began to drip from my brow. How stupid I was! I used all of my miracles to bolster Balian for this insidious ritual, holding nothing back. I had no prayers left to protect myself from Balian’s magic.

Then the magic lanced toward me. But it was not me that it hit. It was Lilian’s corpse.

Writhing with Balian’s magic, Lilian’s corpse levitated off of the floor. The purple coruscating beam shot out of her continuing around the circle.

I was terrified, the enormity of what was happening just beginning to dawn on me. But soon enough the writhing stopped and the energy began to settle into a solid pulse between everyone gathered around the circle. Cries of pain subsided. I thanked Canaan.

Balian’s shrill demand rose above the pulsating crackle of energy. “Cut your wrist with the ceremonial athame. Bleed into the trough in the floor outlining the pentagram!”

Shallahai glanced at me with an uncertain expression. Talon, who had been particularly racked with pain from Balian’s spell, looked at me. I was surprised to see, not the calm stoic mein of the well-ordered monk, but eyes white with fear. Panic. He had the look of a doe, about to flee in the face of danger.

I was lost. This was so totally beyond me. I had no idea what to do, what to advise, how to react. Putting aside present circumstances, as a priest, I would counsel them to have faith in Canaan and everything would turn out right. And that’s what I did, for better or for worse.

Balian commenced chanting, again.

“Have faith my friends. Do as Balian says.” I counseled. Immediately after uttering those words, I doubted them. I am a fool. I thought. I am leading my friends to their deaths. Just as quickly, I berated myself for having such thoughts. Canaan would see us through. He must!

The others made narrow cuts into their wrists, bleeding into the trough. After a few seconds, the trough glowed silver and from the center of the pentagram the floor seemed to open, like a sphincter. The sound of stone grinding rose above Balian’s chant.

The opening stopped at the far edges of the circle. The retreating stone revealed a black inky pool with a smooth, still surface.

The surface of the pool began to bubble and froth. It agitated for several seconds and then suddenly went still.

I looked at Rin. Had the ritual failed? I wondered. Rin didn’t acknowledge me, focused instead on the inky pool. My eyes, too, were drawn to the inky blackness of the water. Something immense was coming. It's presence nearly suffocated me. Yet I could see nothing.

Suddenly, the water cascaded up to the ceiling. Ropey tendrils of inky black water traveled along the ceiling of the chamber, while the main body of the pool formed a column in the center of the circle.

Hu Li gasped.

The column began to materialize into a slimy creature with a black flat carapace covering its head. Or maybe the carapace was its head. I couldn’t be certain. So much happened at once, I cannot accurately recall.

The top of the carapace faced the ceiling, giving the creature a vague mushroom-like appearance. The black ropey tentacles extended from the edges of the creature’s flat carapace to the ceiling. A huge toothy maw opened on the top of the carapace and red eyes formed. Meanwhile the lower portion of the column shrank, forming more ropey tentacles attached to the bottom of the carapace, its legs, perhaps.

Balian spoke to it in a surprisingly lucid voice. “I am a Servant of the Xith`Krull. I am the Guardian of the Black Mirror. You have been called here from the Realm of Astaroth to serve as the Mirror’s guardian in my absence. None shall enter the Black Mirror and none shall leave it! So says the Xith`Krull!”

Terror. It is the only feeling I can recall. Rin and Shallahai and I were trembling. The only thing keeping Hu Li from going fetal was the utter paralysis that had overtaken him.

But Talon. Talon bolted. Overwhelmed by terror, he panicked. Talon was but a blur as he ran out of the chamber with such speed, a sound escaped his lips that I had never before heard Talon make and never would, again. A scream.

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!” Shrieked Balian.

Talon had broken the circle. The purple pulsing energy winked out.

The creature screamed. My mind nearly exploded with the force of the creature’s simultaneous thoughts of exultation and hatred. It was so alien, so overwhelming, I felt my ears bleed.

Freed from its captivity and Balian’s spell, the creature attacked with incredible ferocity.

Hu Li was the target of its initial rage. Detaching its tentacles from the ceiling of the chamber, the creature slammed them into Hu Li’s frail body. Hu Li went flying twenty feet into the wall behind him, unconscious or dead, I wasn’t sure.

The rest of us variously prepared to fight or flee, when Balian’s voice boomed through the chamber. It was not the characteristically shrill, piercing shriek to which we were accustomed. Rather, it was a deep, commanding lucid voice over a haunting feminine chorus.

It so shocked me, that even in my terror, I forced myself to look at its source.

My eyes widened.

WE ARE BALIAN!” The whites of Balian’s eyes had turned black. His arms were outstretched to his sides, at the height of his shoulders. Eight black tentacles slowly writhed behind him, slithering like snakes, elongating. The end of each of the tentacles was adorned with a slimy eyeball. They appeared to be attached to Balian’s back in the locations of his sores.

WE HAVE CALLED YOU AND YOU WILL OBEY!” The Balian-tentacles lashed out at the creature. But the creature was ready. It’s own tentacles rushed to meet them. They grappled each other in a silent test of strength and will.

Balian shrieked in his usual voice. “Everyone flee! You cannot harm this foe!”

Rin was the first to react. He ran to Hu Li’s apparently lifeless corpse, hefted it over a shoulder and ran for the exit. I struggled with Lilian’s corpse. But I was too weak. Shallahai dashed to my side and picked it up, carrying it like a sack of potatoes.

Rin and Shallahai exited the room. I was last.

Risking a look behind me, I saw the Balian-Tentacles and the creature at a stalemate. Then Balian began to chant, an aura of power surrounding him.

I prayed that Balian would win this fight, as I grabbed the Book of Abu-Abai and fled from the chamber.

Last edited:

Well ... Praise Canaaan!! Another of my favourite storyhours back from the dead! :D :D

Good to see you writing again - and up to your normal high standard.

I don't want to appear greedy, but ... can I have some more, please sir? :p

Canaan

First Post
Interlude: Two Months Earlier......

HalfOrc HalfBiscuit said:
Well ... Praise Canaaan!! Another of my favourite storyhours back from the dead! :D :D

Good to see you writing again - and up to your normal high standard.

I don't want to appear greedy, but ... can I have some more, please sir? :p

Thanks, Biscuit! Here is a brief update :)

Dearest Helena,

I know how you abhor this pedestrian form of communication. But the sound of my quill on parchment soothes me. Perhaps it is a side effect of my long years of constant study and writing. I’m sure you can forgive my indulgence in this.

It is as I have suspected for some time. The answer to what happened to my sister can be found beyond the Amoebic Sea. I must know what happened to her! I must avenge her.

I will consult the Xith’Krull Oracle. But first I must find a replacement for my duties in Turgos. It is extremely disappointing and quite annoying that my apprentice, Hu Li, is such an idiot. Eyeless Hollow Ones, indeed!

He wouldn’t know a creature from one of the Far Realms if it came up and bit him on the backside. He takes every word of every heretical whacko as gospel. He simply hasn’t refined the skill to separate the wheat from the chaff.

Ah well! I don’t mean to bore you with my troubles. I only wanted to let you know that I will be taking my leave of you, soon. I will call the Neh-Thalggu to guard the Mirror in my absence. Do be careful not to wander into my summoning chamber while I am away.
The Neh-Thalggu is not a creature to be trifled with.

Regards,

Balian, The Everwatchful

Remove ads