Tirlanolir/D'nemy's Tales of Turgos: The Heroes of Goldfire Glen (UPDATE 7/26)

Canaan

First Post
The Celind: As Talon's Master Teaches....

These are the guidelines of the Celind Order as Talon has been taught.

Tenets and Strictures of the Celind Order

1. Never strike out in anger. Violence must always be tempered with wisdom.

2. Life is sacred. Death is natural. Neither should be created or destroyed lightly.

3. Show respect to your enemy, even as you deliver the killing blow.

4. Never pollute the mind by willfully ingesting toxins that might sap your will and cloud your thoughts.

5. Avoid excesses of food that might pollute the body.

6. Strong emotions can cloud your thoughts and lead you astray. You must always keep your mind clear and focused.

7. Do not seek greatness. Simply strive to play your part as best you can. If it is time for greatness then the Green will give it unasked for.

8. Do not seek power for power’s sake.

9. Do not fall to the temptation of immediate gratification at the expense of your goals.

10. The age of the Green is eternal, so have patience in all things.

11. Be respectful of other cultures at all times, but recognize that the only true law is the law of the Green.

12. Your word is your bond. Never willfully break an oath you have willingly made.

13. Give aid to those that ask so long as doing so does not prevent a higher goal or violate the law of the Green.

14. Be a good example to others and gently guide them along the path to enlightenment.

15. Do not marry or bear children.

Cosmology of the Celind

In the beginning there was the Green, but like an infant she lacked self-awareness. The different aspects of her tugged against each other and thrashed about as they explored the limits of their being.

It was her chaotic aspect that first burst into existence, for it is chaos that most often spurs change. However no sooner did Chaos appear than Law was there to guide her path. The first moments were full of fits and starts with worlds being created and destroyed in an instant. Soon a balance of sorts was established, like a cosmic dance Chaos would lead, thrusting violently this way and that, but always with Law following and tempering the movement with grace. As they danced, the Green, like the trees for which she is named, began to grow.

First Chaos experimented with creation and destruction by bringing the elements into being and pitting them against each other, but Law organized them into discrete planes of existence. Then Chaos tried to create an enormous abyssal expanse crafted in her image. She succeeded, but no sooner did the abyss pop into existence than did it shatter, forming a multiverse of planes, including planes of law to balance those of chaos. The first of the Old Ones were born at this time, breathing life into the Green and leading her to adolescence.

The Green’s chaotic nature was angered, feeling that Law had stolen her rightful property. Soon a series of wars began within the Green, each part of her trying to best the others, further fracturing existence.

In time, the Green matured and found an inner peace. Law and Chaos, Good and Evil, realized that they were connected parts of a whole and that one could not act without the others. As the conflicts ensued, a new expanse was seeded at the intersection of the polarized worlds and it grew at an incredible rate. This new plane was built on a balanced foundation of all the aspects and elements. It is in this middle plane that we now reside.

Alas, the folly of her youth took on a life of it’s own and the consequences of that early age of the Green are felt still today. During the first war of aspects, Law, Chaos, Good and Evil created huge armies of powerful beings to fight their battles and, though the sisters are now at peace in the Green, many of their children are still around and still holding on to old grudges.

The most powerful of the Old Ones claimed pieces of the outer planes as their domains. They remain locked in seemingly endless blood wars, never realizing the futility of their quests. Some of these beings are still worshiped in Shuuth today, known as the Sleeping Gods. And there is little doubt that Canaan too is one of the Old Ones.

The Green wishes to be whole and in time these fractured planes will rejoin our balanced middle world. The old ones will fade away and the need for conflict will subside.

Notes on teachings

Celind may work with creatures of any alignment if it helps them meet their goals. Their lawful/neutral alignment is indicative of their extreme dedication to their philosophical ideals. It does not indicate a broader association with the aspect of Law. They have an appreciation for both law and chaos, in moderation.

If careful consideration tells you that you must kill an enemy, and you have the power to do so more quickly and painlessly through the use of poison, ambush, or other “dirty”/”evil” tricks, then out of respect for your enemy dispatch them quickly. Celind see no inherent evil in the use of poison or surprise.

Torture and unnecessary mutilation is frowned upon.

Celind are barred from marrying or having children of their own because the emotional attachments intrinsic to those relationships are likely to cloud their judgment. Friendships and sex are perfectly acceptable however, as long as appropriate mental and physical protection is used.

A Celind would not say he worships the Green. He merely sees the green for what she is and respects her existence. They do not really consider themselves to be a religious order. In today’s parlance they would be considered “godless.” They follow a philosophical ideal that they believe will bring enlightenment to them and the world at large.

Celind do not deny themselves indulgences just for the sake of self-sacrifice. They do so only when said indulgences would distract them from their path, or when they think there is something to learn from the experience (like Talon’s brief vow of silence).

Celind don’t want everyone to look alike, think alike and act alike. They appreciate diversity. Balance to the Celind means that things look smooth when observed from a distance. Short-term local fluctuations in the Green are natural and expected. This concept is subtle but central to the Celind’s way of life. If you look at the Green (AKA – the multiverse) as a whole, it currently has several large, sustained spikes of conflicting energies (AKA – the outer and inner planes) fracturing its surface and creating unnecessary conflict. The Celind believe that the Green, when looked at holistically, should be a smooth, placid surface. They believe it is the natural tendency and desire of the Green to reach that state. They believe that the only things preventing this from happening are the powerful wills of her children, the Old Ones. Celind also believe that if one of these spikes is increased its opposite will also increase, both pulling from the center. So none of the Old Ones can ever “win.” Every gain they make merely intensifies the conflict.

Not to take this analogy too far, but Talon is afraid that Evora’s cathedral might play the Arborea to the Curia’s Mechanus. If we draw all the people who oppose the Curia to Brightstone, then we may inadvertently increase the Curia’s power in the central kingdom and intensify the conflict.

Celind typically follow the adage “think globally, act locally.” They don’t run out and try to save the multiverse. They are not seeking fame and glory. They trust that their wisdom and experience will allow them to see what ever path the Green has laid out for them. Talon would have been perfectly content spending his days in Goldfire Glen, tending to the local community. Just as a butterfly flapping its wings in Shuuth can cause a storm in Auros, Celind know that even the little things they do can have large impacts down the road.

Governing bodies and laws must exist in any large group in order to enable the basic functions of society. However, freedoms are important and should never be removed lightly. Celind don’t expect anyone else to share their beliefs, but they do expect their right to have those beliefs to be respected. They feel the Curia—with its inquisitors and templars—is a fundamentally corrupt organization, because it tries to impose a limited belief system on the masses through force. Talon’s whole thing with the separation of church and state is because he doesn’t want to give even the slightest impression that Brightstone Keep is to Evora’s church what the Curia is to Canaanism. True, each has the potential to become corrupt in its own right, but keeping them separate lessens the possibility of that occurring.

Patience is a virtue. The Celind think on much longer timescales than most. They are happy to accept small defeats now if it means their ultimate goals will be met a generation from now. Sure, they’d love it if they could snap their fingers and make everything perfect, but they realize that enlightenment is worth waiting for.

Canaan

First Post
Chapter 28: Secrets Revealed

Once again, we found ourselves traveling to Brightstone Keep. By the time we arrived, over a week had passed from our last visit and the keep was desolate and quiet.

“Alright. I suggest we enter the mines, find the Succubus and send her screaming back to Hell. Perhaps then Helena can find out what it was she was doing here, just like she did with the goblin witchdoctor. I will pray for the blessings of Canaan on all of us to gird us for the coming battle.” I said, taking the lead.

“I agree.” Lilian added.

“And I will summon the Eyeless Hollow Ones to eat her flesh.” Hu Li grinned. Even when he was being helpful, I couldn’t help but see malice in Hu Li. All he needed was a scaly, grimacing quasit to stroke and the picture of the perfect arch-villain would be complete.

“The Green is with us. This time, we will prevail.” Shallahai said, looking around the cliff top with black glowing eyes, the eyes of The Destroyer, he once explained to me. I’m still trying to wrestle with and understand the druid’s strange ways, now that he has ‘evolved.’

“Focus on that blade you wield, Shallahai.” I told him. “That is your most potent weapon against the likes of Caladriel.”

His eyes still looking out over the cliff top, Shallahai distantly answered “I know.”

“I cannot go in that mine.” Talon spoke.

We all looked at him.

“I will not.” He said again.

Clearly he was unnerved. I couldn’t possibly imagine what it would be like, the pain and suffering of being rent to death, and then to return to the place of that suffering. Talon should be commended for coming this far.

“I understand Talon. You should stay here.” I said, placing a hand on his shoulder. To my surprise and consternation, he recoiled and almost hissed.

“No, you do not understand, Evora. None of us should go in there. She is too powerful for us to defeat. Would you needlessly throw your life away like this?” Talon asked.

“I do not go to my death, friend.” I responded. “This Succubus must be stopped and we have the means of doing so.” I added, gesturing to Yuindr at Shallahai’s side. “But if it is Canaan’s will that I die this day, I have no choice but to accept that fate.”

“You will not defeat her.” Talon said.

I must say that I was perplexed by Talon’s pessimism. And if I was incorrect and he did not fear the return to this place, rather his hesitance was borne of defeatism, I was disappointed.

“So you refrain from fighting because you believe it would result in our deaths?” I asked.

“Yes.” Talon responded.

“And you will not stand by us and fight, due to that belief?” I asked.

“Yes.” Talon responded.

“Yet you know that we will not heed your words, and we will do what we are called to do, what must be done?” I asked.

“Yes.” Talon responded.

“So this is what that order of yours teaches? Abandon thy friends in their hour of need?” I asked rhetorically.

“It teaches that we should not idly throw our lives away. If you insist on fighting a lost cause, I will not interfere. But I will not join you either.” Talon responded calmly.

Anger seeped into me. I looked to Lilian for support, and I saw her fair mien showing signs of frustration. Though it was unclear whether her frustration was aimed at Talon or me. I was about to lash out at Talon for what I concluded was nothing short of cowardice, but Lilian suddenly drew her sword.

“It looks as though none of us will be given a choice in this matter” Lilian said looking at the mine entrance eighty or so feet away. “Canaan! Grant me your shield!” She intoned as she was covered by Canaan’s divine shield.

Exiting the mine entrance was Caladriel and an entourage. Another vrock demon was at her side and on her other side, a large Half-Orc, bedecked in robes, carrying a box covered in glyphs.

Caladriel lazily gestured in our direction and the vrock’s wings violently flapped as it hurtled toward us.

Talon retreated to the interior of the keep.

I prayed to Canaan to bless us.

Lilian, still mounted atop Damien from our travel to the keep, rode forward to distract and meet the vrock in battle. “Canaan, infuse my blade with your power!” She cried out. A white light emanated from her longsword, as it was made a magic weapon by Canaan’s grace.

Hu Li made some incomprehensible noises and complex gestures with his fingers. His eyes rolled to the back of his head as he entered a trance.

“The Heroes of Goldfire Glen return for more punishment, I see.” Caladriel smirked. “Well, I’m sorry to disappoint you, but we have what we came for and will be taking our leave. The Axis of Annihilation awaits the arrival of the Wind Duke’s treasures.” She continued, gesturing to the box. “We mustn’t keep them waiting, and the Kurjan is anxious to go.”

At that the Half-Orc spoke a word, put his hand on Caladriel’s shoulder and they disappeared.

“No!” I cried out, watching them disappear.

The vrock crashed into Lilian, but she was prepared. Her blade sliced into its arm as it reached out to rake her across the breast. Blood and ichor sprayed out as the vrock landed on Lilian, dislodging her from Damien in a grapple.

Talon climbed the stairs of one of the towers and stood atop the battlements watching the battle, arms folded across his chest in the sleeves of his robe. I saw him standing there, a contemplative expression on his face. Then a thread on one of his sleeves caught his attention. He started pulling it.

Yuindr flew into Shallahai’s hand as he charged the vrock demon. “In the name of all that is natural in this world, I smite thee, fiend!” Shallahai cried out as he drove Yuindr into the demon’s hide to the hilt. A pulse of green flared out from the blade and into the vrock, desiccating it. Weakened considerably, it lived on. The vrock was strong, withstanding the effects of a horrid wilting.

But that attack was just what Lilian needed to be free of the demon’s grapple. She rolled away from the vrock, kicking it as she tumbled. Then she stood holding her blade and readying for the inevitable attack.

“Canaan!” I prayed. “Imbue my weapon with your grace, allow me to penetrate the skin of this demon as easily as your light penetrates the darkness!” My mace glowed white in response to the prayer; it was a magic weapon.

Hu Li’s strange clicking sounds stopped just as a white light appeared to his left. It took shape as a celestial dire wolf and immediately joined the attack on the vrock.

With another intake of breath and a clicking sound, Hu Li pointed at the vrock demon and three magical globes pulsed out from his outstretched finger. Hu Li's magic missiles punched the vrock in the chest, wounding him further.

The wolf snarled and attempted to bite the demon’s thigh, but missed as the vrock maneuvered out of the way at the last second.

The demon screeched and a cloud of its deadly spores were released from its foul body. Shallahai, Lilian, Damien and the dire wolf were all affected by them.

They screamed as the spores dug into their flesh, taking root.

I glanced back at Talon, a plea for aid on my mien. But Talon kept pulling on the thread of his sleeve, his robe beginning to unravel, oblivious to our plight.

The vrock lunged at Lilian, but she was again ready. As the demon prepared to wreck her with tooth and claw, she cried out, “In the name of Canaan, Lord of Light, I smite thee, fiend of darkness!” Her longsword flew down in an arc and penetrated the vrock’s thick hide like butter. It bore down through its spine, breaking it. The vrock fell over, unmoving.

Shallahai shook his head clear and sheathed Yuindr.

I looked around for other threats. “Canaan, grant me the wisdom to see that which is hidden from me.” I prayed the prayer to purge invisibility. But I saw nothing lurking nearby.

Hu Li’s dire wolf completely succumbed to the vile spores and blinked out of existence.

Shallahai prayed and a green light flared from the holes in his flesh where the spores had penetrated, completely healing his injuries.

Lilian did the same, as the white light of Canaan coursed through her body, the flesh knitted.

For good measure, I prayed over them both that Canaan would remove any lingering affliction with my prayer to remove disease. Then I gave ministrations to Damien.

After everyone was attended to, Talon walked up to the group, his robe apparently mended. I looked at it curiously, but said nothing. I must admit that I was angry with the monk, and beginning to doubt the teachings of his Master.

“Well, Talon. I see your tactical genius paid off, again.” Hu Li’s shrill and grating voice cut through the silence.

“She got away.” I said, exasperated, ignoring Hu Li’s outburst.

“We must make haste to this Demonclaw and confront Cranston.” Lilian said while mounting Lilian.

Damien began to trot toward Brightstone Keep. Shallahai followed.

I agreed. If Cranston is willing to give us information, perhaps we can stop Caladriel. We must make haste.

I mounted my own horse and Hu Li followed suit. Talon merely walked, his pace easily equal to that of our horses.

Our journey to Auros was materially uneventful, but spiritually awe-inspiring. The road to Auros is sprinkled with farmsteads and small villages. Every now and again, we caught a glimpse of the ivy and holly covered Canaanite Cross on doorways. I was so filled with joy at the sight of these signs of change, that I could barely contain myself.

“Shallahai?” I asked “What is the word for marriage in the Old Tongue?”

“It is Mairist.” Shallahai replied.

“Ah. Thank you, my friend. I think that shall be the name of the New Way, Mairistism; the marriage of the god and the goddess.” I said satisfied.

“My views on Canaan, as his followers in this land reflect him, aside Evora, I am pleased at your insightful and enlightened beliefs about him.” Shallahai began.

Shallahai had never before spoken to me about his feelings on this subject.

“I spoke with Master Baern and Talon’s Master about your teachings and the idea of the two being each a side of the same coin. We agree in principle. All things are of the Green, including Canaan. Canaan could not exist without the Green. And to unite the two beliefs, belief in the god and in the goddess, would unite the people of Turgos and would end the persecution of the followers of the goddess, and soften the step of the followers of the god. While our views are not entirely yours, we approve of the message you are spreading. And I will do what I can to assist you in this.” Shallahai explained. “You will have our support.” He added.

I was overjoyed at hearing this. So much, that I took the opportunity at every village along the way to speak to the villagers of the unity of the mother and the father, just as I did at Goldfire Glen. I showed the villagers how to make the Mairist cross, just like the one that Hanna had made for me.

The people of these villages seemed almost relieved to hear a Priest of Canaan espousing the virtues of worship of The Green and suggesting that the two be equally worshipped as they work together to make the lives of their followers better.

I could feel the ground swell of support for this new religion. And while the joy I felt was indescribable, as small part of me knew I must remain humble so as not to be corrupted by success and lose sight of purpose and message.

When we reached Auros, the gates were open and the guards recognized us, waving us through with smiles. Our first order of business was to see the duke and inform him of our success at Brightstone Keep. Although we had failed him, I also held out hope that Allustan was still in Auros so we could explain to him the magnitude of our failure. Despite its initial seeming irrelevancy, it is now clear that the treasure in that Wind Duke’s tomb inside the mines is significant.

Leading our entourage, Lilian, astride her horse Damien, trotted up to the courtyard of the Ducal palace. She hailed the guards, who immediately recognized Lilian Evenshire, Champion of Canaan, and the rest of us Heroes of Goldfire Glen, and Saviors of the Exalted Child. A page was quickly dispatched into the palace, and moments later a guard from inside the palace ushered us inside, explaining that the Duke and Duchess were having their breakfast tea in the west wing courtyard, and that we were to join them there.

Lilian dismounted and dismissed Damien in a flash of white light. There was a collective intake of breath as the guards, amazed, witnessed the miracle. Hu Li and I dismounted also. A page took our steeds to the stable, and another showed us the way to the Duke. On the way, we stopped at an antechamber to wash after our long journey.

“Lady Lilian, it is good to see you again. Evora, heroes, please join us. The Duke rose, smiling, gesturing to the chairs around the table. I bowed respectfully and sat, as did the others; though Shallahai did not bow.

A servant brought us tea and biscuits. “My lord, we have news from Brightstone Keep,” Lilian began. “The humanoid presence there has been vanquished, orcs and trolls. Your soldiers have all died. A half-orc, calling itself the Kurjan, apparently led the force, and though it pains me to speak of it, he was assisted by a demon: a succubus. The succubus had apparently enchanted several villagers and farmers from your land, and held them in thrall to do the Kurjan’s bidding in the Brightstone mines.”

The Duke seemed saddened by this news, but did not interrupt Lilian as she continued with her tale.

“We freed the peasants and farmers and fought the force in the mines. Unfortunately, it proved too powerful for us to vanquish. The succubus called another demon to her. It eviscerated Talon. Only by the might of the Green, through Shallahai, were we able to destroy the vrock. We retreated. Master Baern, the Druid of the Wiltangle Forest, restored life to Talon. We knew we had to put a stop to whatever the succubus was up to, so we returned to the Keep to destroy her. But as we battled yet another of her demonic allies, she and the Kurjan phased away with a box she said was the treasure of the Wind Dukes.” Lilian finished.

“I think that they teleported.” I added.

The Duke paused for a moment, taking in this news. Then he looked to me.

“Demons at Brightstone Keep. You are a priest of Canaan, Evora. Is this a church matter?” He asked. “Need I call in an Inquisitor or Exorcist?”

Something instinctual caught hold of me and I responded immediately and abruptly. “No, my lord. The Arch Mage Balian The Everwatchful has us on a mission to find and destroy this succubus. Let us attempt that path. If it fails, then we shall see.” I let the last thought linger off.

The church would ask too many questions and would probably make life miserable for the poor peasants that were held prisoner at Brightstone Keep before their Inquisition on the matter was done. And I feared the worst should that happen. Mairistism was but an infant, weak and helpless. It would be an easy matter for the church to crush it now, if it were to find out about its existence. It’s better to keep them from wandering the peaceful agricultural villages of Auros where Mairistism is taking root.

“Well then. You have done as you were commanded.” He told Lilian. “I shall have a scribe prepare the proper paperwork to deed Brightstone Keep to you.” He said smiling. “But you will need to garrison it so that an invasion like this does not happen again.” He admonished the paladin.

“Of course, my lord.” Lilian said, bowing. “I do have a question, however, Your Grace.”

“Yes.” He responded.

“It was my understanding that only a noble could own land in the kingdom. How is it that I, a mere ward of the church, can own land?” Lilian inquired of the Duke.

“I am surprised by your question, Lilian.” The Duke began. “For it bears a false premise. Lilian, you are no mere ward of the church.”

All eyes were on the Duke.

“The Evenshires, your parents, were the hereditary Baron and Baroness of Tyrond, the Barony in which Goldfire Glen is situated. Once they were killed and you and your brother became wards of the church, your lands were taken from you, by right of the Regent. But your title? That is yours. And nobody can take that away from you. You are Lilian Evenshire, Sixth Baroness of Tyrond. And as such, you may hold land in the kingdom.” The Duke finished with a smile.

Nobody was more shocked than Lilian.

“My lord, how can this be?” Lilian asked incredulously. “Baron Guyere and Lady Syrilla are the Baron and Baroness of Tyrond.”

“Not quite.” The Duke said. “The Regent gave over the lands and stewardship of Tyrond to Guyere and Syrilla when you and your brother became wards of the church. Your brother, as a Priest of Canaan, can never claim that title again. As part of his oath to Canaan, he cannot hold any earthly title. But you Lilian, you will always have that title. It is your birthright. Guyere and Syrilla are pretenders to the title. The Regent exceeded his authority when he granted them the title of Baron and Baroness of Tyrond. He purported to divest you of your lands and title. But he can never do that. And I know of very few nobles that would support such a decision, for if the Regent did it once, he can do it again to anyone who displeases him.” The Duke finished.

The duchess cleared her throat, displeased. “If you will all excuse me.” She smiled politely and got up. We rose and bowed and she departed the courtyard.

The duke looked after her for a moment.

Talon, who had been rubbing the Duke’s fine silken tablecloth against his check for most of the conversation, broke the silence. “This is most interesting news.”

“It is, indeed, Lilian.” I added. “You are a Baroness.” Reflecting on this revelation, more questions sprung to mind.

“Your Grace,” I began. “Guyere is a baron in your duchy. He, like all of the other barons, is loyal to you, is he not? A pretender he may be, but in that case, Lilian’s claim on the barony must create a conflict, does it not?”

The duke looked me full in the eye for a moment, as if measuring my intent. He dismissed his servants from the courtyard, leaving only us, the duke and his house guard.

“Guyere and Syrilla are lackeys for Malfoy. They have no loyalty to me. My outspokenness against the Regent and certain of his “reforms” to strengthen the Church of Canaan in Turgos is well known and has earned me some enmity. Malfoy does not trust me. So, when he had the opportunity, he installed a puppet baron, Guyere, in my duchy to ‘keep an eye on me.’ No. Guyere has no loyalty to me.” The duke explained with disgust, taking a sip of his tea.

“Syrilla is worse. Do you know of the Nightsong Guild?” The duke asked.

He was met with blank stares.

“The Nightsong Guild is an organization of rogues that the government, the church and rich nobles and merchants often employ to do the things that they would not or could not do. Sometimes someone needs something to get done, but can’t do it legally due to the delay in getting approval for that action and the irreparable harm that would result in such delay. The Nightsong Guild is called in to accomplish what could not be accomplished by legal means. Likewise, when action is required that goes beyond Canaanite Law, the church sometimes calls in the Nightsong Guild to get it done. Now, everyone knows that this goes on and it is an accepted part of our society, provided everyone turns a blind eye. And most everyone does turn a blind eye, because while the Nightsong Guild engages in illegal practices, its scope of services does not extend to capital crimes. It does not, for example, engage in assassination or kidnapping.” The duke explained. Then he spoke more softly in a conspiratorial tone.

“There is, however, a highly secret organization that exists in Turgos. One that is so morally irreprehensible that its members are not publicly known and access to it is only granted to the very powerful. This organization, known only as The Black Hand, is made up of assassins and spies and murderers. It is believed that whoever killed King Reynard and the Queen was a member of The Black Hand. It is this organization of which Syrilla is rumored to be a member.” He explained in hushed tones.

“So you see, I have no love for Guyere or Syrilla and they have none for me.” He finished.

“And you would like to see Baroness Evenshire running the Barony of Tyrond.” I stated more than asked.

“I would highly support her claim to that title, should she choose to make it.” The duke responded. “But all good things in time. She would need more support before making such a claim, which means she must become more visible to the nobility of Turgos. As I said, I am not well liked in Malfoy’s court. My public support of Lilian could be a detriment to her claim.” The duke explained further.

“This is all very interesting, but also very much irrelevant at this time.” Shallahai, who had remained silent during the entire meal, directed his comments to us. “We have been charged with an important task, two to be exact. A succubus is at large as is this Veshra, servant of Kharas’Vhoories. Vanquishing these two threats are our priorities.” Shallahai reminded us.

“Yes, you are right, Shallahai.” Lilian agreed, nodding her head. “We mustn’t get caught up in politics right now. This is not the time. My lord, I will reflect on what you have told me. Thank you for your candidness and for your support.” Lilian bowed to the duke.

A scribe entered the courtyard bearing a folded piece of parchment. He placed it on the table in front of the duke and produced a piece of wax and small sliver of wood. He caught the wood on fire using a candle from the table, while the duke inspected the document. The servant turned to the duke for approval of the document’s contents. The duke indicated assent to the scribe, and putting the wood to the candle, the scribe melted the wax on the folded document, sealing it shut. The duke then placed his seal on the wax using his signet ring. The scribe handed the parchment to Lilian.

“There you are, Lilian. The deed to Brightstone Keep. May you keep it safe and it you.” The duke smiled.

“Thank you, Your Grace.” Lilian responded, bowing. Now we must be on our way. The longer we dally, the more mischief the succubus will get up to.” Lilian continued.

“Maggio le vostre corse sono facili.” The duke said, rising. “May thy journey be free of troubles.” He evoked the long dead tongue of the ancients who, so the story goes, tamed Turgos thousands of years ago.

We all stood and said our goodbyes.

As we were leaving the palace, the duchess appeared from a side corridor. She approached Lilian with a sorrowful expression. She gently, but emphatically, held Lilian’s forearm. “Lady Lilian, my husband… He means well. But sometimes he lets politics get the better of him.” Her expression was serious. “Your mother was very kind to me once. Unfortunately, I was not able to return the favor. But I can to her daughter. I do not wish to see you get caught up in political affairs. Your path has been laid before you. Your faith has been your guide. Don’t stray from that path. If politics lay in your path, let it come naturally. Lead with your faith, Lilian.” The duchess smiled then.

Lilian smiled and bowed slightly. “Thank you, Your Grace.”

On the way out of town, we passed a tower, the only other structure in all of Auros that was taller than three stories. It was round and thin and made entirely of obsidian. It had some sort of ornate structure at its top and what appeared to be a flat surface. As we passed it, a figure emerged from its reinforced steel door. It was Helena.

“Hello friends.” She called after us.

We turned.

“Helena.” I greeted her. “This is your tower?”

“Yes, it is.” She said, as she came toward us, wearing a traveling cloak and boots and carrying a backpack. It was odd attire for Helena.

“Where are you off to?” Shallahai asked.

“I’m coming with you.” She responded.

“Why?” I asked surprised.

“I fear that the succubus or those with which she has aligned herself has taken or may take an interest in you. I seek to make sure they do not find you, should they begin looking for you.” She explained.

“How will you do that?” Talon asked.

“A sorceress does not reveal her secrets lightly, monk.” She responded coyly.

“Well we would be most grateful for your company, Helena.” Lilian said, smiling.

“Good. Let’s be off then. It is a full week’s journey to Soliel.” Helena directed.

I was saddened that Allustan was not in Auros. I desperately sought to consult with him about our discovery at Brightstone Mines. It will have to wait.

With Canaan’s blessing, I was able to create food and water to feed and provide drinking water during our journey.

Helena entertained us with stories of the history of Turgos. Then, one evening, she told us a frightening tale.

“I’m afraid Balian and I have not been completely forthcoming with you about Veshra and Kharas’Vhoories.” She began.

That got our attention.

“Kharas’Vhoories is not just a long dead arcanist. And he is not just a lich.” She paused before continuing. “Kharas’Vhoories is a god.”

“Preposterous!” I said.

“No Evora, it is true.” Helena insisted. “Fifteen Hundred years ago he made a bid for godhood. By many accounts he succeeded in that effort, but in doing so imprisoned himself until certain events are completed in a certain order that will free him.” She continued.

“So, he’s an impotent being—something less than a god.” I said, considering her words.

“I can see that point of view.” Helena admitted. “I suppose whether or not one considers Kharas’Vhoories a god is a matter of perspective. But perspective does not change the fact that he is extremely powerful.” She finished.

“If he is freed….” She let the thought drift away.

“You mentioned Veshra. What of Veshra haven’t you told us?” Shallahai asked.

“Veshra is no mere lower order demon. She is ancient and powerful and extremely intelligent.” Helena leveled her gaze at Shallahai. “I fear for you.” She whispered to all of us.

We parted company with Helena at the outskirts of Soliel. She had told us to find the harbormaster and inquire of ships going out to sea. We could secure passage on one of these vessels, though it might be pricey, Helena warned, as most captains will not take pleasure in the prospect of going to Demonclaw.

Given that Soliel was The White City, the City of Canaan, Shallahai decided it best if he not accompany us inside. He told us somewhat enigmatically that he would meet us on the ship we hire. He then disappeared into the woods.

We approached the gates of Soliel. I said a silent prayer to Canaan that we be allowed entrance without a problem. We passed the giant gates, the guards nodding to us. Thank Canaan that we were not recognized. Our taking the precaution of wearing traveling cloaks to hide our appearance as much as possible was well worth the effort.

Staying to the alleyways, we made our way to the harbor. A quick conversation with the harbormaster and we found our ship and captain. Sweet Cheeks, captained by Captain Rutherford.

“Ahoy, mateys!” Captain Rutherford greeted us with a toothy grin, well mostly toothy. “What can I do ya fer? He asked, squinting one eye and examining our clothing.

“We seek passage, good captain, on your ship.” I told him, pulling back my cloak just enough to reveal my robes and holy symbol.

“Aye, Father. And where ye be headin’?” He asked, looking at the others.

“To a place called Demonclaw.” I responded firmly.

A hawk landed on one of Sweet Cheeks’s booms.

“Demonclaw?!” The captain sputtered. “What business does the Curia have in that wretched place?” He asked.

“My business is my own, good captain. And we will not be denied. We have good coin.” I responded.

“Good coin, eh? It will be 50 silver nobles per head if you expect me to take you to Demonclaw. But I won’t be stickin’ ‘round there to pick ye up, ye hear?”

“Very well.” I said, accepting his first offer.

A look of surprise passed over the captain’s face, quickly replaced by a scowl. “Come on, then. What are ye waitin’ fer. Get on board, landlubbers. We leave in an hour.” He turned and walked back up the loading plank to the ship.

We followed.

“How will we get back?” Lilian whispered to me.

“I don’t know. But the harbor master said this was the only captain that would even dare sail to Demonclaw. We don’t have a choice, really.” I responded in a whisper.

As we passed the boom, Talon asked, “Where’s Shallahai?”

The hawk sitting on the boom screeched. We looked up and it winked at us.

“Ah.” Talon said.

About an hour later, we set sail for Demonclaw. I have spent the last three days on this dreary vessel, Sweet Cheeks. The trip has been uneventful. I spent most of it writing this journal. But we have become acquainted with Sweet Cheeks’s first mate, Thaddeus Grothe. Talon and he spent hours discussing philosophy.

We expect to arrive at Demonclaw tomorrow.

Last edited:

Another entertaining and intriguing update, Canaan.

One question that comes to mind from your "background" posts: have you changed the "flavour" of the monk's powers? I recall a thread somehwere on these boards where someone was suggesting changing the name of the monk class and having its powers arise from the monk's ability to absorb or bond with spirits - thus ditching the rather oriental notion of ki. I wondered whether you'd gone down this or a similar road, as it seems to fit the concept of Celind being aligned with the Green

Canaan

First Post
HalfOrc HalfBiscuit said:
Another entertaining and intriguing update, Canaan.

One question that comes to mind from your "background" posts: have you changed the "flavour" of the monk's powers? I recall a thread somehwere on these boards where someone was suggesting changing the name of the monk class and having its powers arise from the monk's ability to absorb or bond with spirits - thus ditching the rather oriental notion of ki. I wondered whether you'd gone down this or a similar road, as it seems to fit the concept of Celind being aligned with the Green

Thanks for the support, Biscuit!

To answer your question, I have indeed changed the "flavour" of the monk's powers. They are basically Jedi. The Green represents the "Force." It is through focusing the energy of the Green and learning the ways of the Green that a monk betters himself; he gets closer to self-enlightenment by realizing he his an extension of the Green. These powers can also be taken away by straying from that path. The Mordind are essentially Sith Lords.

I was looking for something less traditional for the monk class, as I don't see the traditional concept of the monk fitting into this setting. Since Talon's player is a HUGE Star Wars fan, and I already had the concept of the Green, I thought incorporating the path of the Jedi was a good fit.

Last edited:

Canaan

First Post
Chapter 29: Kranston & Caladriel

Many months have past since I had the opportunity to commit ink to paper. Small victories have been overshadowed by devastating tragedy. At every turn the choices we have made have not just been wrong, but have routinely pitched us from one insurmountable corner to another from which the only means of escape has been by the intervening hands of those seemingly immune to the powers that routinely assail us.

Helena, Balian, Kranston, the Autumn Queen, an enigmatic spirit from regions of madness known as the Far Realm calling herself Illyria. Without their intercession these words would not exist. We all would have passed on to our various rewards or sentences, never to return to a world consumed by strife and evil. A fate, I selfishly say, I would welcome. At least I would be at rest. Canaan, forgive me for my moment of weakness. Confession is good for the soul. I am but a man, weak, frail and prone to temptation, and I long for succor from my travails. It came to pass that I had been granted such respite, but it proved less than a moment under the gaze of eternity and my soul was wrenched from rest and into the body of Allustan, Mage of Diamond Lake in service of the Duke of Auros, who was himself slain by the devious machinery of the long dead Wind Dukes of A’aka.

That story, however, must wait.

I believe I last picked up this quill while aboard a ship headed for an audience with the wizard Kranston. His abode rested literally in the palm of an island named Demonclaw. The captain of the merchant vessel Sweet Cheeks, who’s name now escapes me, agreed only to take us to the island and that we would be on our own hence forth.

Thaddeus Grothe, the Sweet Cheeks’s first mate, wishing to leave behind his life on the sea, agreed to accompany us to Demonclaw. He convinced us that he was not only a seasoned combatant, but an expert archer, a specialty our group desperately needed. A gangly boy of no more than a score of years, his flesh was leathered by his long exposure to the sea, his eyes, almond in shape as well as hue, continuously flickered at distant invisible targets that only they could detect. His hands were deeply calloused from, presumably, both the thick hemp of the masts’ ropes and his use of the bow. His long sun-bleached hair was kept off his browned face by a solitary scarf from which flowed a thick, matted and blotchy tail. I wondered when last those locks had been properly sluiced.

In any event, we had a warrior with us, and I was pleased.

The morning of our final day on Sweet Cheeks, the captain called us to the deck. One of the shipmates pointed to the Eastern horizon. A mass of land hung above the water's surface on the distant edge of my vision.

“That’s it!” Called the captain from behind his wheel. “That’s Demonclaw! We shall reach it by midday!”

The crew readied a small row boat, he affectionately called the Pink Pucker, for us as the ship zeroed in on the island. I watched from the bow of the deck as the bizarre shape of the island drew into focus. I saw immediately how the island earned its eponym. The land mass sat atop a rocky, moss laden “wrist” from which sprouted a tree-strewn “palm” that grew long, thin fingers, twisting upwards and ending with sharp barren mountain peaks that, from a distance, appeared to be indigo claws.

We boarded the Pink Pucker and were roughly lowered into the calm waters. Thaddeous took control of the oars and steered us toward the island. Within an hour we found ourselves under the long shadows of the wide “fingers.”

“Is there any means of egress that you know of, Thaddeous?” Lilian asked the boy.

He shook his head “no.” “I have never been here.” He finally said.

“I can understand why.” Talon said, his stoicism cracking a bit under the ominous façade of the island. “This does seem a very inhospitable place.” Talon’s fae-touched eyes were fixed on the finger just above us. His mouth dropped agape at the sheer magnitude of it.

“Take us all around the arm.” I heard myself telling Thaddeous. “There must be stairs, a cave, a port… something.”

Just then, Shallahai, still in hawk-form screeched and dove into the water while transmogrifying into a dolphin and took off at fast pace toward Demonclaw. Dolphin-Shallahai returned minutes later, sticking its head above the surface of the water, shaking the Pink Pucker violently from side to side.

"What are you telling us Shallahai? Did you find an entrance, a port, stairs?" I asked.

Again, dolphin-Shallahai shook his head violently from side to side, indicating, I think, that he had not found a way in.

Dolphin-Shallahai swam into tempo with the little rowboat as we slowly rowed to the rock. The “wrist” was covered in thick sheets of brown and green algae that climbed up nearly thirty feet on all sides.

Suddenly, dolphin-Shallahai, leapt out of the water transforming into the an eagle once more. He swooped down and landed on my shoulder. Before any of us could react, he had climbed down my side and began tugging at the circle of rope that was fastened to my belt with his beak.

“Shallahai,” I said, understanding what he was trying to say. “That won’t be enough. Those outcroppings are too high up.” Shallahai shot me one of his wide eagle eyes in exasperation. I do believe that was the first time I ever witnessed an eagle sigh.

“Do we have more rope?” Lilian said. Neither she nor Talon had any.

“I’m sitting on some.” Thaddeous said, suddenly standing, which caused the Pink Pucker to teeter back and forth. We all held on to prevent ourselves from being pitched over. “Sorry. I forgot I was using this coil as a seat.”

It was well over a hundred feet. Adding my fifty, it was more than enough.

Shallahai took hold of the bound ropes with his talons and flew straight up to the rocky finger. After a few minutes we saw him, back in his unearthly tree-man visage looking down at us. A moment later, the long rope fell, stretching out just inches above the planks of the Pink Pucker.

Talon was the first to climb. With his impressive monk training, he did not climb as much as he levitated. With grace and effortlessness, he shot up, hand over hand, and within seconds traversed the whole of the rope and made it to the top.

Hu Li went next and nearly toppled the small dingy trying to grap the rope. Shallahai and Talon ended up dragging him through the water, screaming, while they pulled the length of rope until he was hoisted into the air and over the side of the stone precipice, sputtering the entire way.

Lilian was next to go. Encumbered as she was with her armor and blade, she could barely manage a few dozen feet before stopping and calling for aid. Shallahai and Talon responded by pulling the length of the rope until she was within arm’s reach and could be pulled onto the surface of the “finger” by Talon.

Then I went and, having woefully inadequate arms for such a feat, I, too, had to be pulled up to the top.

Thaddeous, like Talon, had no trouble making the climb. His bow, quiver, and short blade secured, he made it to the “finger” without any show of struggle.

Regrouped, we looked toward the center of the island. It was covered in gray heaps of long dead trees whose desiccated roots dug futilely into dusty ground.

“I suggest we gravitate toward the center.” Lilian said with command. “I believe that is the most logical place where this Kranston’s abode will be.”

We agreed and made off.

We maneuvered off the “finger” and onto the dry “palm.” For several hours we slowly made our way toward the center. The entire island appeared to be long dead.

Shallahai shuddered. “It is as if this would have been Wiltangle Forest’s fate had you not intervened.”

“Indeed.” I said, envisioning the same thing.

“Look! There!” Cried Talon, pointing at the horizon.

Up ahead, peaking over a crag, was a lumpy, but altogether constructed structure. As we grew closer, more of it came into view.

It was as if this building had been pressed out of some aperture of madness. Balian may have been an eccentric, but at least his tower, dank and in desperate need of maintenance aside, was at least clearly a tower. The deed holder of this monstrosity was most assuredly cavorting with spirits whose homes were just on the edge of sanity.

It was a manor of some kind. A staircase led down into a shallow crag toward what must be a door, but what spread out from that door was not clean, square, simple walls. It was as if there were walls, they were covered in bloated boils made all the more horrific by the countless sharp, thin jags that protruded from the blackened membranes.

Talon dared to touch one as we closed in on the doorway.

“Hm.” He said. “It feels just like wood.”

The door, a tall thin solid sheet of bronze covered with depictions of every kind of debauchery imaginable, creaked open as we approached.

Candle light flickered out onto the landing. A man, horribly gaunt and dressed in the heavy fineries of a head house servant approached us. He bore a mustache of two unusually long wisps of brown hair that undulated out from under his nose in a wavy line nearly two feet on either side. I wondered at the amount of wax required to keep those hairs so unnaturally erect.

“May I help you?” The man snarled, his voice pinched and condescending.

Lilian stepped forward. “I am Lilian Evenshire, Champion of Canaan. We seek an audience with the Wizard Kranston. We have… questions for him.”

A single eyebrow cocked up on the man’s narrow face. He opened his mouth to speak when a second voice rained down from above.

“Guests?” It cried in an effeminate, lispy shrill. “We have guests?”

We all craned out necks upward to see the source of the voice. I found nothing.

“We have not had guests here in ages!” It continued. “Servant!” We heard two quick claps. “Make yourself useful! Prepare our best tea and dust off some crumpets! We have entertaining to do!”

The servant beckoned for us to follow him. He turned to our left and trotted off toward a stone archway.

Every inch of the foyer was covered with some semblance of gaudy art and every piece seemed dedicated to one subject; infernal creatures copulating.

After the third for fourth attempt, I ceased in averting my eyes from the depictions, for no matter where my eyes looked away to, another sculpture, painting, mosaic or fresco more licentious than the last, gazed back at me.

A moment before we reached the archway a door creaked open above. We turned to it to spot a wide staircase down a short corridor which lead up to the door. At the threshold stood a silhouette.

“Servant!” The silhouette called. “Send them this way! This way! They don’t need to see the kitchen for Azzagrat’s sake!”

The servant rolled his eyes and beckoned for us to move down to the staircase. Lilian was the first to comply and we all followed suit.

As I climbed the stairs the silhouette all but leaped into a pool of candle light revealing an equally gaunt man as the servant, but whose face was oddly handsome and beautiful at the same time. The hair crowned a healthily tanned face in thin coils that rapped about themselves forming an inverted cone adding nearly a foot and a half to the figure’s height at its point. Bronze and gold bracelets dangled at the boney wrist of the man’s arm right arm. His left was behind his back. He was dressed in appropriately tailored royal attire, but the colors were just shy of magenta and lilac. Given the baroque nature of the rest of the estate, he fit right in.

“I am Kranston!” He said with a wide, excited grin. “Welcome to my home!” He added with a flourish, revealing his other arm as he twirled. I gasped at the sight of it. Unlike the first arm I saw, which was all but void of musculature, the second was burly, chiseled and covered in scales so green they were almost black. The fingers ended with sharp claws painted fiery red. Had he grafted a devil’s arm to his body? What manner of creature was this Kranston?

After we dispensed with the appropriate pleasantries, we were led to the dining area and drank bitter tea and ate stale scones under light provided by a chandelier of twisting brass rods that snaked out from an opaque mass with no rhyme or reason from an opaque darkened mass some twenty feet above us. At the end of each rod flickered a small white candle.

“So!” Kranston said at last. “What brings a priest of Canaan, a Champion of Canaan, a... thing of the Green, a monk and a strapping young lad to my humble abode?”

Lilian immediately took control.

“We understand you summoned a Succubus.” She said. Kranston gasped.

“Well, I never! How dare you come here and accuse me of such…”

“Helena told us.” Lilian continued calmly but firmly. “There is no use denying it.”

Kranston grew silent. After a moment he nodded.

“Very well. I admit it. But do not fret. She is entirely under my control.”

“If that is the case.” I said. “Then you are in a good deal of trouble.”

“Oh, posh!” Kranston said with a dismissive wave of his demonic arm. “I only summoned her for some information. That is all.”

“Information on Kharas'Voorhies?” Lilian asked.

“Yes.” The wizard sighed. “I just wanted to learn some of his secrets. That is all. It was for research only. Quite innocent, really.”

“Why did you command Caladriel to release Kharas'Vorhies’s servant , Veshra?” I asked annoyed by the man’s irresponsibility.

“As I said! To learn the old coot’s secrets! I told her to release the little imp and bring her back here.”

“And did she?”

Kranston’s eyes focused on the bejeweled goblet in front of him.

“I am still awaiting her return.” He mumbled.

“Veshra is on the loose.” Lilian said, swallowing a growing anger. “Caladriel disobeyed you. She has murdered many innocents. She almost destroyed my home at Goldfire Glen. You have much to answer to, warlock!”

Kranston took in a quick deep breath, offended. Clutching his ruby necklace with his frail hand he corrected Lilian in a scathing tone. "Well I never! Young lady, I'll have you know that I am no warlock. If I were, you'd have been dead where you stand long before I introduced myself. Watch your tongue and mind your manners!" He paused to compose himself after his outburst. "I am an Acolyte of the Skin. A wizard who experiments with creatures of the lower planes to learning the secrets to their powers. NOT a warlock."

"Don't change the subject, wizard!" I chastised him. Explain yourself. Veshra is on the loose and nearly destroyed Lilian's home!" I continued pointing an accusing finger at him.

"But that’s not possible! She is under my control! She cannot!” His voice pitched several octaves above comfortable.

“But she did.” Talon corrected. “Where is this succubus?”

“I DON’T KNOW!” Kranston hollered, pounding the table.

His servant entered the hall.

”Is there a problem, master?” The servant asked.

“Yes!” Kranston spat. “Fetch Caladriel’s contract and meet me in the summoning chamber!”

The servant stiffly turned on his heels and trotted off. With great aplomb and melodramatics, Kranston led us down to his summoning chamber.

Like the rest of the manor, the walls were covered in tasteless art pieces. One of the walls, however, was conspicuously covered by a deep burgundy curtain. I did not wish to know what lay beyond, what even this bizarre personality deemed unsuitable for display.

The servant was waiting for us. As Kranston approached his servant presented him with a rolled up scroll.

Shallahai suddenly stopped and did something I do not recall him ever doing before, nor since.

He gasped.

His eyes darted from the scroll in Kranston’s hand over to Lilian.

“Helena told us that this succubus goes by many names.” His eyes flashed to black and bore into Kranston. The wizard recoiled. “What is the name on the contract?” Shallahai demanded with a hiss.

Kranston’s hands shook as he unraveled the scroll. He turned it around to reveal the two signatures and splotch of blood at the bottom. The first was his. The second was the name “Caladriel.”

“You incompetent fool!” Shallahai roared. “You arrogant amateur! You have been duped!”

The druid closed in on the cowering wizard. I moved to intervene but was stopped by Kranston’s voice. It was suddenly commanding and firm. I turned to him and he was standing straight, matching Shallahai’s posture.

“Wait!” He demanded. “I shall make this right! Caladriel!”

He called out.

“Come to me! Now!” His hands flourished upwards.

There was a hot rush of wind and a flash of light in one corner of the chamber.

The light faded and in its place stood the very succubus who had taunting us for so long. She gasped and covered herself demurely when she saw us. Her whole demeanor was void of the usual arrogance she normally reserved for our meetings.

An act, clearly, to throw off the wizard.

“Master! Why have you summoned me here?” She cooed.

“You have been a naughty girl.” Kranston said, his voice soft, but full of authority.

“Me?” Caladriel answered with a dainty flutter of her lashes.

“Where is Veshra?” Kranston asked.

“I’m getting to it.” She answered.

“Don’t lie to me! I know you released her.”

“For you, yes.”

“Then where is she?”

“She escaped. She wrenched free from me. She didn’t wish to return with me. She…”

“Lies!” Kranston roared.

“No, Master, I swear!” She pointed to Lilian. “It is she who is full of lies! That one! The hypocrite! The so-called Champion! She has been most mean to me! Most cruel! She does not understand!”

The succubus morphed into the likeness of Lilian, though still naked. And though her wings suddenly vanished and her horns receded, her tail remained. I turned away as she began to pleasure herself with her demonic tail.

"Finally." Hu Li said with a wide satisfied grin, as his eyes locked on the infernal Lilian's nethers. He looked like he was going to faint from the sheer pleasure of the experience.

“Enough!” Roared Shallahai. “You escaped last time, demon! By Yuindr’s blade, it shall not happen again!”

The familiar succubus instantly reasserted herself. Lilian’s visage faded away as the creature hissed and flew up to the ceiling.

“Try stabbing me with that thing now!” She roared down.

I suddenly remembered our archer. I turned to find him huddling with fear up against one of the corners of the room. I ran up to him as behind me I heard Kranston shout. “You’re not going anywhere!”

I heard the wizard intone a few archaic words and instantly knew he had prevented her quick escape by yoking her with a dimensional anchor.

Lilian called out to Canaan to infuse her blade with his divine power.

I hurried up to Thaddeous. “Do not fear.” I said to him. “Canaan is with us. We shall prevail.”

I then prayed to Canaan and touched the boy’s quiver, transforming all of his arrows into magic weapons. “Strike true.” I said to him. “They will now pierce her demonic flesh. Have faith.”

The boy took hold of his bow and swiftly shot two arrows at the flying succubus. One hit home and sunk deep. She hissed and howled, searching for the offender.

Having spotted him, she suddenly dove. I stood between her and the boy, readying my mace.

She slashed out with her claws, but we both evaded her blows. She twisted back up to the roof, cackling.

Kranston bounded under her. He held up his demonic arm and called out.

“Be gone from this plane, demon! I am through with you!”

The cackling instantly stopped. A chilling wind engulfed the room. A gray whirlwind appeared behind the succubus. She screamed with agony and rage, but to no avail. Barely a breath passed before she was sucked into the vortex, banished. It immediately collapsed and vanished.

A palpable sigh fell over the chamber.

Last edited:

Canaan said:
Helena, Balian, Kranston, the Autumn Queen, an enigmatic spirit from regions of madness known as the Far Realm calling herself Illyria. Without their intercession these words would not exist. We all would have passed on to our various rewards or sentences, never to return to a world consumed by strife and evil. A fate, I selfishly say, I would welcome. At least I would be at rest. Canaan, forgive me for my moment of weakness. Confession is good for the soul. I am but a man, weak, frail and prone to temptation, and I long for succor from my travails. It came to pass that I had been granted such respite, but it proved less than a moment under the gaze of eternity and my soul was wrenched from rest and into the body of Allustan, Mage of Diamond Lake in service of the Duke of Auros, who was himself slain by the devious machinery of the long dead Wind Dukes of A’aka.

That story, however, must wait.

You, Sir, are a tease ... :p

Another cracking update, and obviously much more goodness to come. I look forward to it immensely.

One quick question just to clarify that I haven't misread anything - Gabriel has remained in Goldfire Glen and not accompanied our heroes on this voyage?

Canaan

First Post
HalfOrc HalfBiscuit said:
You, Sir, are a tease ... :p

Another cracking update, and obviously much more goodness to come. I look forward to it immensely.

One quick question just to clarify that I haven't misread anything - Gabriel has remained in Goldfire Glen and not accompanied our heroes on this voyage?

Heheh, D'nemy's the tease. This was mostly his post. And let me tell you! lol!

A little bit of amusing trivia about this session....

The conversation between Kranston and Caladriel actually went on for quite some time. I was acting out both of them and got so mixed up at one point I had to stop. I looked around and all my players' mouths were agape. I had been going on for like 15-20 minutes in monologue between one effeminate NPC to the other (one a man and the other a demoness) and rubbing myself seductively as I was acting out the succubus pleasuring herself with her tail. At one point, Hu Li's player's eyes DID roll back into his head and he nearly fainted. It was all very hilarious. As I stopped in confusion at some point, the players came out of their stupor as if they had just been watching a play. lol!

Anyway, I asked D'nemy to write up that session because for the life of me I couldn't remember everything that was said. I ad libbed the whole thing on the spot with no notes. lol!

To answer your question, Gabriel did indeed stay in Goldfire Glen to help rebuild it. His player played Thaddeous, the archer, in this session.

iStrider

First Post
Sorry it has taken me so long to get this posted but I have been very busy lately.

Here is some of Shallahai’s perspectives and how they have changed over the course of the campaign…

Shallahai is very gentle and quiet by nature. He believes that all things originate from the Green and thus everything has a place in the world. As such personal freedoms are important and should be maintained. He did not care who people worshiped so long as others let him worship who he wanted in his own way.

Canaanites have always persecuted followers of the Green but Shallahai has always held the believe that violence was not the answer and should always be restrained except in the most dire of circumstances. There is a tradeoff (or balancing point) for the persecution. It has made followers of the green stronger and more dedicated.

Also, Shallahai has a duality about him. He is typically very gentle and reserved. However there is also a deep rage in him. This has become a lot more pronounced after his reincarnation and transformation although at this point in the campaign only Yuindr has been able to bring out the rage that is in him.

His name, the vision he had at his reincarnation, the blade Yuindr that he wields all play a significant roll in his life and the decisions he has made and will have to make in the future.

Name: In Shallahai's order it is common for each Druid to choose a name from nature that suits him. As such his name is very significant to the path he has taken. Shallahai chose the name Shale (if you recall that was Shallahai's name at the beginning of the story hour). Shale (the rock) is a hard rock that is formed from very soft materials (mud and sediment usually). Additionally, Shale can be transformed into a much harder rock called slate. This is the process Shallahai is going through.

During his transformation Shallahai was shown a vision of what has been and what might be once again (or at least this is how Shallahai views it). This has caused him to reformulated his view on the Canaanites, at least in part. His tolerance for them has gone down considerably. He WILL NOT allow the horrors committed by the army in the vision to happen again. He will not let the balance to be disrupted like that. It would be preferable to prevent them by finding a peaceful resolution to the tensions between the Green and Canaan however if that is not possible Shallahai will exercise any force necessary to maintain the balance. The Green has grown tired of their interference and Shallahai is her answer to it.

Not wanting to give anything away in a future story hour update you will see what will happen once Shallahai’s rage is unleashed.

His biggest struggle is how to handle the Canaanites. He believes that most worshipers of Canaan are good people but that the autocracy of the church is corrupt. How does one bring peace and balance between worshipers of the Green and of Canaan when good people stand between him and the church? He believes that Evora is the answer to this. But will Evora be willing to openly stand against the church if needed? How far will he be willing to go? Only time will tell.

Canaan

First Post
Chapter 30: Wizards

Thanks for the input istrider! And now.......

for an update......

"It's dreadful business, dealing with fiends." Kranston sighed, shaking his head.

"Then why bother." I said to, rather than asked, the wizard acidly.

Kranston looked at me with a slightly hurt expression tinged with guilt. "You spoke to Helena about this business of my summoning the succubus before you came here?"

"Yes." Lilian responded.

The wizard winged. "She mustn't know what happened here!" Kranston clearly realized that we would likely be reporting the result of our efforts here to Helena.

"Why shouldn't we tell her, wizard? It was your folly that set these events in motion in the first place." I retorted.

Thaddeous whimpered in the corner, his bow still in his shaking hand.

"I can help you." Kranston offered.

"How?" I asked, unconvinced.

"You tell me." Kranston responded.

I looked to Lilian.

"Caladriel took some artifacts of the Wind Dukes of Aaqa to an organization she called the Axis of Annihilation. Have you heard of it?" Lilian asked.

"Axis of Annihilation." Kranston started pensively, tapping his index finger to his chin. "It sounds vaguely familiar, like I read a passage about it or something. Follow me to the library, and I will consult my books."

After a few hours of study and a brief repast, Kranston revealed what he had learned. "The Axis of Annihilation is a heretical and highly fractured cult that believes that it can raise Kharas'Vhoories by merging three of the Sleeping Gods into one great overgod. It is made up of deranged and highly fringe worshippers of Lazbrall'Thull, the demon lord of slaughter and bloodletting; Nerull, the god of death and secrets; and Ba'al, the Lord of Avernus, the First Hell of Perdition. Calling them 'worshippers' is something of a misnomer, for their dogma makes it clear that the process of merging the three gods will invariably snuff out their divine essences to fuel the ritual to breathe life into Kharas'Vhoories." Kranston explained.

"That's horrible." Lilian said.

"Quite." Kranston responded, sipping his tea. He looked ridiculous holding the dainty handle of a fragile tea cup in his blackened, swollen demonic fingertips, pinky extended.

"Why don't the priesthoods of these Sleeping Gods end this heretical cult?" Shallahai asked.

"Because they do not know its membership. The first art of subterfuge: hide in plain sight. Am I correct?" Talon asked.

"That's quite astute of you, Talon. Yes. In fact, its members are so hidden that the mere existence of the cult is thought of by many to be sheer rumor." Kranston responded.

"What do you know of such things, Talon." I stated. "You are an aesthetic."

"It is part of master's teachings. We Celind used to have to hide in plain sight or risk assassination by our mortal enemies, the Mordind." Talon responded.

I couldn’t help but think this was more rubbish. Why would the Mordind seek to assassinate the Celind, unless the Mordind were truly vile? And if the Mordind were so truly vile, how would that reconcile with their asceticism? For that matter, how would subterfuge reconcile with the asceticism of the Celind? Each time I dig below the surface of Master’s teachings as revealed by Talon, I feel more uneasy.

"In any event, gentlemen, an additional reason exists as to why the priesthood or secular followers of the Sleeping Gods do not destroy the heretics in their own ranks. That is because the worshippers of these particular Sleeping Gods would never voluntarily cooperate with each other to complete such a task, such is the vast difference in philosophy and teachings among them. Ba'al is the master of diabolical tactics; a perfect specimen of orderly battle, bred to conduct warfare. Lazbrall'Thull is his complete opposite; a creature driven by its own insatiable desire to kill, maim and torture in the most twisted ways imaginable with no foresight or plan. It acts on whatever sadistic desire that catches its fancy. And Nerull? well, Nerull does not share information." Kranston continued.

Lilian's brow furrowed for a moment, thinking. She looked at me and at Shallahai and Talon. "You know what we must do, don't you?"

I nodded my head.

"Don't say it, Lilian." Hu Li pleaded.

"We must stop the Axis of Annihilation from bringing back Kharas'Vhoories." Shallahai finished for her.

Hu Li winced.

I continued nodding my head. While the mere thought of confronting a powerful and insane cult dedicated to such foul entities made me shudder, I knew that Canaan expected no less from me. And though I had been charged with ferreting out the Adversarial plot against Canaan, stopping the return of Kharas'Vhoories to Turgos seemed somehow more pressing.

"Why us?" Talon asked.

We all looked at him, with various expressions.

"What do you mean, 'why us?'" I asked, annoyed.

"Wouldn't Balian or Helena be better equipped to confront this Axis of Annihilation, even Kranston for that matter?" Talon responded.

"A wizard commands great power, when prepared for battle, yes. But a wizard needs to be able to work his magic without distraction. A wizard would likely be slaughtered if alone against a large number of foes." Kranston answered Talon.

"More importantly, Balian has charged us with the task of destroying Veshra. My bets are on the fact that Veshra is helping the Axis of Annihilation." Shallahai added.

"We don't even know where they are. Where would we possibly begin to look for them?" I asked.

"That's where I can help." Kranston answered.

Kranston beckoned us to follow him as he explained that using a spell he could probe our thoughts to get the image of The Kurjan who teleported from Brightstone Keep with the succubus and using that image, he could scry for him using the Mirror of Um-Jamhat. As he said the last, we arrived at our destination, and with a flourish Kranston brought down the burgandy curtain that we passed on our way to Kranston's summoning chamber. It revealed a mirror the height of the wall and nearly as wide. It's frame was carved alabaster and contained bas relief visages of demons copulating. They were actually moving! I averted my eyes from the ghastly, unholy sight.

"This is the Mirror of Um-Jamhat, my friends. In it, I can find anyone I put my mind to finding. Once that person's visage appears in the mirror, you can step through the mirror to the location of that person. It is truly a wonderful device." Kranston explained, beaming.

Hu Li drooled enviously.

I volunteered for the mind probe, not wishing to subject Shallahai, Talon, or Canaan-forbid Lilian, to probing by this bizarre wizard. Soon the visage of The Kurjan appeared on the surface of the Mirror of Um-Jamhat. "That's him!" Lilian cried out.

"What's he doing?" I asked.

"It looks like he's in a cave." Hu Li said.

"No. It's a mine." Shallahai corrected him.

Several cowled figures were engaged in some sort of ritual involving ritual scarification. The Kurjan was there, handing the box he was holding when he emerged from the mine entrance at Brightstone Keep to a woman in black robes whose eye sockets were empty. Claw marks scarred the area of her face around her eyes. The Kurjan bowed to her.

"They are performing a ritual." Shallahai continued.

"Are they at Brightstone Keep?" Talon asked.

"I don't think so." Shallahai responded. "The candle light is shining off of the mineral in the walls. It appears to be quartz or..." Shallahai trailed off for a moment, studying the image intently. "They’re diamonds. This is a diamond mine." Shallahai finished.

"There's only one place that can be." Kranston announced.

We all looked at him.

"They are at Diamond Lake. The only place known to have diamond mines in all of Turgos." Kranston finished dramatically.

"Diamond Lake." That's where Allustan is from, I said, thinking out loud. Then it dawned on me. "We have to warn him!" I said.

Kranston was already ahead of me. He issued a sending to Allustan.

"You know Allustan?" I asked after the sending was away.

"Oh yes. We go way back." Kranston responded nonchalantly.

The sending was unanswered.

After a few uncomfortable minutes, Lilian suggested. "Why don't you scry him in the Mirror of Um-Jamhat."

"That would not likely result in success my dear. He is obviously shielded from scrying." Kranston responded with a little too much self-assurance.

Deducing a delicate situation, I offered an alternative suggestion. "Can the mirror scry places, as well as people?"

"Why yes. I know where you are going with that priest. I shall scry Allustan's tower in Diamond Lake. Once its visage is on the surface of the mirror, you can walk through it to the tower." Kranston finished.

In no time, Kranston had Allustan's tower on the surface of the magical mirror. We walked through it. Lilian first, followed by Talon and Shallahai, followed by Hu Li--eyes closed. I looked to Thaddeous, who was still visibly shaken by the fight with the succubus. "Will you come with us?" I asked him.

He shook his head no, but did not speak.

I looked to Kranston.

"I can arrange for his safe passage to Soliel." Kranston assured me.

"Thank you for your help, Kranston." I said, as I turned to walk through the mirror to Diamond Lake.

“Evora.” Kranston beckoned.

I turned back to face him.

“I must confide in you something.” Kranston said sheepishly. “It is the reason I do not wish Helena to know of what has happened here, to know of my folly.”

“Go on.” I responded.

“As you must know, Helena is a diabolist. Her methods are similar to, but distinct from, mine. We are colleagues of a sort. Occasionally, we meet for tea and discuss arcana. But more importantly, long ago, we had a bit of a romp.” Kranston revealed.

“Oh.” I said, surprised that this arcanist actually ever bedded a woman.

He continued. “So you see, it would be quite embarrassing to me if you were to explain to her that I lost control of a creature I thought I had compacted with.”

“That’s understandable.” I said, thankful that he did not appear to have given any notice to my surprise.

Annoyance flickered on his brow as he continued. “Besides, I have to have a word with her about that particular compact.” And after a pause, he added. “And I think it best if news traveled to her by my own mouth rather than by rumors or filtered through the prayers of Canaanites.” Kranston finished.

“Do not worry, Kranston. We shall not divulge your secret to Helena.” I assured the Arcanist with a tired smile and walked through the Mirror of Um-Jahmat to Diamond Lake.

It was raining in Diamond Lake. Sheets of cold water poured from the early Autumn sky, drenching everything. Allustan’s short, squat tower was just ahead, a solitary candle flickered in a window of its highest story a score of feet above the road. We crossed the deserted muddy street in front of the walkway to Allustan’s abode. Only the insane and the desperate would be out in this downpour, and as to which we were I was beginning to doubt. Some part of me wished I had stayed in Goldfire Glen with Gabriel, healing its people and rebuilding its livelihood. Oh Canaan, forgive me my weakness.

Covering my head with the cowl of my cloak, I followed the others to Allustan’s front door, being careful not to slip in the mud.

After the fourth set of knocks, the door finally opened. A tall and proud-looking bearded man dressed in fine red robes answered the door, holding a candle in his free hand. His graying hair was neatly combed and tied back in a braided ponytail with a leather strap. It was clearly Allustan. Even late in the evening at his own abode, he maintained that regal bearing I observed in Auros.

Allustan’s eyes widened at the sight of the Champion. I pushed through the others to get to the front. “Allustan!” I shouted above the wind and rain. “It is I, Evora Faro. We met in Auros at the Duke’s pleasure several weeks ago. My friends and I, we come bearing dire news.”

His eyes never left the Champion. “Come in! Come in! By Canaan, it’s true! The Champion has returned by the grace of Canaan!” Allustan exclaimed in disbelief as he made room for us to pass his threshold and waved us in.

After closing the heavy reinforced wooden door behind us, he turned. “You must be freezing! Come to my study. I have a fire going. You must warm yourselves before you catch your death.” He quickly moved passed, leading us up a stone staircase around the inside wall of his tower to the second floor and his study. A whirlwind of activity ensued.

Once inside, we removed our soaking wet outer garments and warmed them by the fire. Allustan brought blankets for us and sat in a nearby overstuffed chair. His servant brought us cups of hot mulled cider. Allustan’s eyes were still full of wonder at the sight of Lilian, alive.

I was quite impressed by Allustan’s tower. It was tastefully modest, unlike the crass opulence of Kranston’s diabolical abode. And it was pristinely maintained, unlike Balian’s dilapidated tower. I’ve always believed that you can tell a lot about a man by observing how he keeps his home. I noted in Auros those many weeks ago that Allustan was the first wizard I had met that seemed at all “normal.” Being in his home only solidified that feeling. I felt very comfortable with Allustan.

“I received word from the Duke that the Voice and Will had indeed performed the miracle of resurrection and successfully returned Lilian Evenshire to our world. But the knowing of a thing is nothing compared to the seeing of a thing. Remarkable.” Allustan said, examining Lilian.

All of his fuss was clearly making Lilian uncomfortable.

“Allustan, much has happened since then and we bring terrible news.” I stated firmly.

“Yes. Yes. Of course.” He fixed his full attention on me.

I told Allustan of our efforts to return Shale to us and explained that the creature standing before him is Shale reincarnated as Shallahai. I detailed our efforts to take Brightstone Keep. And finished with the Succubus and The Kurjan teleporting away with the treasures of the Wind Dukes and our confrontation with Kranston and Caladriel.

“So you see, Allustan. According to the Mirror of Um-Jahmat, The Kurjan brought the Wind Duke’s treasures here to Diamond Lake and is presently in a diamond mine near here.” I finished the tale.

“Impossible!” Allustan responded in disbelief after I had finished. “After all of these years, the treasure of the Wind Dukes is right under my nose. And their tomb has been ransacked by a demon and a Half-Orc!” Allustan’s face was flushed.

“I’m afraid your prediction may have been accurate, Allustan. It does indeed appear that someone is trying to bring back Kharas’Voorhies.” I continued.

Allustan recovered from his outburst. The rational, composed wizard reasserted himself. “This Axis of Annihilation must be stopped. I fear that Turgos is not ready to fight Kharas’Voorhies. Canaan’s followers have become soft. The Green’s followers live in fear of Canaan’s. The wizards are not united.” Allustan paused pensively.

“Do you know the history of Kharas’Voorhies?” Allustan asked.

“My master bested him long ago.” Hu Li answered proudly.

“No. Canaan smote him.” Lilian corrected Hu Li.

“Not really, we don’t.” I answered.

Looking at Lilian and Hu Li, Allustan said. “Actually, you are both wrong.” Then he told us the story of Kharas’Voorhies.

“Mind you that my particular area of expertise is in the province of the Wind Dukes of Aaqa and the primordial spheres ruled by the elements. But I was for a time an apprentice to Balian the Everwatchful and learned much of the time before.”

Allustan took a sip of his mulled cider before continuing.

“I do not know from where Kharas’Voorhies came, but it is clear from writings about him and rumor that he transcended mortality. His true allegiance was to Nerull. In fact, once he had tricked Orcus into granting him lichdom, Kharas’Voorhies revealed his allegiance to Nerull, the god of Death and Secrets. He created a damned city; a safe haven for Nerull worshippers in the jungles of the Thassaline. Centuries ago, Kharas’Voorhies sucked the souls out of every living being in that city to fuel a ritual designed to make him a god. He only partially succeeded.” Allustan paused again to take a sip of his mulled cider.

“I don’t know what happened back then, but its result was such that Kharas’Voorhies was unable to affect this world. Then, three hundred years ago, his diabolic servant, Veshra, freed him. Kharas’Voorhies was intent on subjugating Turgos and challenging Canaan directly. It was then, for the first time in history, that the wizards of Turgos, led by Balian the Everwatchful, united to form the First Council of Wizards. Balian convinced the Council of Wizards to stand together with the Church of Canaan to vanquish Kharas’Voorhies. Balian and the other wizards reasoned that should Kharas’Voorhies prevail in his battle for Turgos, the Age of Worms would begin, snuffing out all life as we knew it. Helena was the first to concur, and with her concurrence, several others joined the ranks. Together, the Wizards of Turgos and the Canaanites defeated Kharas’Voorhies, but only temporarily. They were unable to kill him, managing only to imprison him.”

“The wizards saw that their involvement in the affair between Canaan and Kharas’Voorhies was decisive of the victor. But more importantly, the Canaanites did as well. The Canaanites were too well aware of the power the wizards commanded. The Wizards knew it would be only a matter of time before the Canaanites took it upon themselves to limit that power. So, Balian preempted the Canaanites. He convened a Second Council of Wizards, at which the Wizards of Turgos agreed to The Grand Injunction; a decree that prohibits a wizard from interfering in any way with matters of religion in Turgos. The Grand Injunction was presented to the Voice and Will and ratified by the Curia. That was the end of the matter. But Balian was crafty. He provided in the Injunction that the Wizards would police themselves. And since there was no real vehicle for doing so, given that the wizards had no formal affiliation with one another, no wizard ever came up on charges of violating The Grand Injunction. It was a win-win scenario for the wizards.”

We sat silently letting Allustan’s tale sink in.

“I had no idea that Balian was so involved in these historical events.” Talon said after a moment.

“Yes. I had thought him a selfish, eccentric, probably insane old coot.” Lilian added.

“Well, this explains why none of the wizards of the higher orders with which we have been conferring are involving themselves in these affairs. It explains why Balian and Helena did not vanquish Veshra on their own and why they merely suggested the danger she represented and trusted us to go on our own out of our own sense of duty.” I said, thinking out loud.

“Well, it didn’t really happen that way.” Lilian corrected me. “I think Balian probably pushed us out the door, rather insistent that we find and vanquish Veshra.” Lilian continued. “A blurring of the lines between violation of the Grand Injunction and acceptable behavior at the very least.” Lilian finished.

“I suppose you’re right, Lilian.” I responded. “But why the secrecy until now? None of them—Balian, Helena or Kranston—told us the reason they did not get themselves involved was due this Grand Injunction.” I continued.

“That’s because we wizards don’t generally like to remind people of its existence. Out of sight, out of mind.” Allustan said with a wink.

“Hu Li, did you know about this Injunction?” Shallahai asked questioningly.

“Perhaps.” Hu Li responded vaguely in his characteristically shrill voice.

“Of course he did.” I quickly countered. “Don’t be fooled, Shallahai! That’s why he refused to go to Soliel with us after the incident at Harpy Ruins that killed nearly all of us.” I continued angrily.

“I say, Allustan, what is the penalty for violation of The Grand Injunction?” I asked, turning to the arcanist.

“Death by burning at the stake in a public square.” Allustan responded.

“Of course it is.” I said cynically, turning back to Hu Li, who had lowered his gaze into his lap.

“Evora, let it go.” Lilian said soothingly. “Canaan has a reason for everything.” She assured me.

“You are right, Lilian. Forgive my outburst.” I said sheepishly. It was now my turn to lower my gaze into my lap.

“Yes, perhaps Canaan had a reason for Talon’s tactical miscalculation at Harpy Ruins that nearly killed all of us.” Hu Li harrumphed, emboldened by my cowing.

I turned beet red, but held my tongue.

Talon raised a finger to correct Hu Li, but thought better of it as Shallahai’s cautioning gaze penetrated the young monk.

“You have all clearly been through much.” Alluston stated. “But if you are intent on searching for The Kurjan and believe him to be in a diamond mine near here, the diamond mine is owned by Ragnolin Dourstone and is known as the Dourstone Mine.”

“What sort of man is this Ragnolin Dourstone.” Shallahai asked.

“He is no man, in fact, Shallahai. He is a dwarf.” Allustan responded.

“Dwarf? Did you say dwarf?” Hu Li asked incredulously.

“Yes. Why?” Allustan responded.

“I thought them myth.” Hu Li shrilly responded.

“Oh no. Dwarves are quite tangible.” Allustan assured Hu Li. “This particular dwarf is extremely taciturn and greedy. Normally, I would recommend that you obtain permission from him to enter his mine before you go investigating in it. But in this case, we don’t know his where his allegiance lays. For all we know, he is collecting rent from the Axis of Annihilation to rent space in his mine.” Allustan finished sardonically.

“No, in this case, I recommend that you investigate by means of stealth.” Allustan advised.

“I should like to see this dwarf, nonetheless.” Hu Li announced. “I have never seen a dwarf.”

“Hu Li does have a point.” Talon offered before any us could react. “We might learn something about this dwarf’s allegiances, if we talked to him without tipping him off to the reason for our presence here.” He continued.

“Will you be here when, Canaan willing, we return?” I asked Allustan.

“By all means.” Allustan responded.

“Then we shall return to you once we have completed our mission.” I said. “May we spend the night here to prepare for our trials?” I asked.

“Of course, Evora. My apprentice will see to your rooms.” Allustan responded.

A nervous boy, perhaps 14 years old appeared in the doorway, wearing elegant red robes. A few freckles marred his melanin deficient skin and his light-brown hair stood shock up, meticulously greased to remain in that position. Coupled with his youthfulness, raised eyebrows and nervousness, the boy looked to be in a constant state of surprise.

“This is Austin Veradesex, my apprentice.” Allustan said, gesturing to the boy. “He will take you now.”

We followed the apprentice up the stairs to the third and final floor of the squat tower.

“I have heard that you are the Heroes of Goldfire Glen. Is that true?” Austin asked.

“I suppose so.” Lilian responded.

“And many of you have died and been returned.” He said breathily, looking at Shallahai.

Shallahai nodded.

“It appears so.” Talon responded.

“That’s quite remarkable! Sometimes I think of how incredible it would be to be a hero like yourselves. But then I think of the danger and the dying. It makes me happy that I have a warm bed and a good master looking after me.” Austin finished with a smile.

I looked at Austin. “Never forget what you have here, Austin. And don’t be too quick to leave the tutelage of such a learned sage and good man.”

That night I dreamed of Talon sticking a sword made of green energy into the gut of his master, killing him, and Lilian being consumed by darkness and taken by oblivion. Bad omens preceding a worse day.

Remove ads