Tirlanolir/D'nemy's Tales of Turgos: The Heroes of Goldfire Glen (UPDATE 7/26)

Canaan

First Post
Chapter 31: A Cold Reception

Sorry this took us so long

I was aroused by a knock on my chamber door. I heard Austin’s cracking voice on the other side of the door.

“Breakfast is served, Father Faro.” I heard through the cobwebs of my fatigue. “Your companions await you.”

Though the rounded window above my bed nearly took up the whole of the wall, barely any light survived the battle with the warring storm clouds that had all but engulfed it. It may have just as well had been dusk. In the deep gray, I prayed to Canaan for his grace and then washed up and dressed.

The rain had continued the entire night. The entire tower held a stench of mildew brought on by the ceaseless downpour. Over hot porridge and savory sausages, Allustan told us that we had arrived at Diamond Lake in the middle of its rainy season. For some reason, the season marked the time in which the mining Dwarves substantially increased the intensity of their work.

“It has something to do with a long held Dwarven belief that the heavy rain softens the earth even at great depths.” Allustan was telling us. “Of course, any dwarf worth his pick axe will tell you that is pure nonsense, but as with most traditions, it is not questioned, only followed.”

After breakfast, Lilian, myself, Shallahai, Hu Li and Talon thanked the kindly wizard for his counsel and hospitality and as the rains began to let up just a hair, we left for the town of Diamond Lake to investigate the Dwarven mines in an attempt to ascertain the whereabouts of the Axis of Annihilation and put an end to their diablerie.

We stepped out from under Allustan’s protection and into the icy, stinging pummeling of the rains that continued to assault Diamond Lake and its surroundings. My toes and ankles froze as the inch deep water that had pooled over the stone path from the tower soaked through the cloth of my shoes. The numbness that instantly followed ironically jolted me to full alertness. We trudged over the drowned path barely speaking. Hu Li spat and cursed to himself letting out several incoherent, spite-ridden diatribes that I endeavored to ignore.

After some time the smooth stone path gave way to a muddy one. My feet sank in the cold muck, swallowed up to just above my ankles. Weighed down by her armor, Lilian’s progress was even slower. I maneuvered over to her, took her by the arm, and draped it over my shoulder in an effort to ease her burden. I fear it only succeeded in slowly both of us down even further. I am neither athlete nor warrior and have precious little physical strength to spare. Even so, and may Canaan forgive me for my weakness, I admit to savoring aiding the Champion, if only to steal a few moments of closeness.

Shallahai and Talon ignored us, the downpour and the muddy terrain. They seemed to glide over the ground, moving as swiftly as if the ground were dry as desert sands.

Hu Li had stopped and was bent over a few paces in front of us. His back was to me and he looked as if he was in the midst of a retch, but as I approached I could hear him muttering merrily.

“Oh, yes spawns of the Eyeless Hollow Ones.” He clapped and chirped. The joy in his voice unsettled me. “Slither forth into the gray and breathe in the bitterness I feel. Your presence here is most soothing. I thank thee for this gift.”

He was gesturing over a small clump of earthworms that had slid out of the softened dirt.

“What are you doing?” I asked, more curtly than I had anticipated.

Hu Li instantly stood up and shot me a wicked glare that portrayed both embarrassment and indignation.

“As if you had any chance whatsoever of grasping anything of worth, Priest!” He shouted and clumsily stomped off, digging shallow wells in the mud with each labored step.

Lilian and I exchanged glances and she shrugged her shoulder.

We trudged on for what felt like days, though in truth it was not much more than a few hours. The sky clung to its somber mood, refusing to break from its onslaught. The only saving grace was that there was little to no wind. I thanked Canaan for that, and no sooner had I done so, a solitary cone of golden light broke through the dreary cloud cover. Lilian and I gasped at the beauty of it. Within a few short minutes, the rain ceased and more tunnels of light bore through the wall of gray above us.

Hu Li, Shallahai and Talon had all stopped several yards in front of us. When we finally caught up with them I spotted a line of squat buildings huddling the shores of a vast, soot polluted but tranquil lake, beyond which loomed jagged mountains. Diamond Lake awaited us.

Soon after, we found ourselves near the outer perimeter of the dreary town. My legs were exhausted from the added burden of the pounds of mud that had accumulated around my feet and shins, but as we passed a warped wooden town marker, Canaan be praised, the muddy path morphed once again into rough stone.

“I should be fine from here on, Evora.” Lilian said with an effort to hide her own exhaustion. “Thank you.”

I let her go and we heavily walked down the wet stones toward the first of a line of small, straw thatched huts that flanked the road. As we approached, Talon suddenly stopped and held up a hand.

“Do you hear that?” He muttered. A moment later a chill wind carried what sounded like lashing.

“A public punishment?” Hu Li asked with child-like anticipation. “Perhaps an execution!”

It was then that I spotted a man emerge from the shadow of one of the huts. He was dressed in gray tatters stained with splotches of blood. He was barefoot and most of his exposed flesh was covered in horrid boils. He held in one white knuckled hand a cat-of-nine-tails with which he repeatedly flogged himself. Misty clouds of blood and sweat puffed with the violence of each blow.

“Woe onto thee heathens!” He growled. “Woe onto all of Turgos who turn from Canaan’s light to take refuge in the Adversary’s lies!”

“Oh, this is good.” Hu Li grinned. “One of yours, Priest.” He added, turning to me with a dismissive, condescending scowl.

“And mine.” Lilian aptly corrected, burrowing a scowl of her own into the wizard. Hu Li’s pompous posturing evaporated at her gaze. His eyes and shoulders slumped.

The old hermit continued his wailing.

“I have seen the truth and it is bleak! Canaan cries for His flock, so lost and deceived they be!”

Lilian and I rushed up to the man. I prayed to Canaan for His healing grace, but when the man heard me and saw my hand reaching out for him, he recoiled.

“No!” He shouted. “No! Do not take from me this yoke I bear! It is sin! It is blasphemy!”

“I am a Priest of Canaan.” I said. “You need not do this.”

“I too am a Priest of Canaan!” The man howled in reply. “And you are wrong! You need to take up the scourge. You, so blinded, so clouded, so arrogant. You all need to take up the scourge to drive out the demons that have buried themselves into your souls!”

Anger and pity welled up inside me. What evils had befallen this man that he ended up in such a state?

“ Calm youself!” I commanded. Lilian stayed a step behind watching the scene in silence. “This, this… self pitying, self destruction is not His way.”

“I too am a Priest of Canaan!” The man howled. “And I say this is His will. His punishment for my sins and the sins of the world! Oh, the horrors I have seen. The mountain devils, these dwarves… They will rot Canaan’s creation from within. Oh! Woe! Woe unto me and all of Turgos!”

He was beyond consoling. I let him pass me and carry on down the street away from the city. I longed to follow him and calm his troubled mind and heal his ravaged body. Lilian, sensing my desire, placed a hand on my shoulder.

“Let him go, Evora.” He said. “Whatever demons he is wrestling with are his alone. We have more urgent matters to attend to.”

She was right, of course. I acquiesced and rejoined our group. It was not long before we came upon the first sounds of civilization we had encountered since entering Diamond Lake. The noise led us to a dimly lit tavern. The door creaked loudly as Talon, the first to enter, pushed it open.

The air was warmed by a roaring fire from a square pit in its center, but a chill ran down my back as I caught the first harsh glares of the patrons. Covered in the soot of their labors, dark, yellowed eyes stared into us with the sharpness of stilettos. I wanted to turn about and seek aid in more hospitable environs, but Lilian’s voice stirred me from my moment of cowardice as she broke from our pack and strolled commandingly to the fire pit.

“Good day, noble serfs!” She called out. Eyes narrowed. One of the men sitting at the bar straightened as if being slapped about the cheek. “I am Lilian Evenshire, Champion of Canaan. We have traveled…”

“Canaan!” A particularly unpleasant looking miner shouted from one of the tables. He spit on the floorboards, a sooty phlegmy mass. I could see Hu Li, Shallahai and Talon turn their eyes to me. I swallowed my growing irritation. Hu Li undoubtedly sensed my inner turmoil, for I heard him stifle a chortle.

“What use do we have with him!” The man continued. “Friend to the daft, we say around here. God of Failures. Lord of Trash.” Others nodded their heads, grunting something that was akin to agreement. “Canaan gave up on this mudhole centuries ago.” Another man added. “So we did the neighborly thing and gave up on him.” Tired, cough laden laughter spread through the room.

“What do you find sacred then?” Lilian said in a raised voice that towered above their dismissive laughing. The tavern went silent. “If anything?” Lilian added with a stab in her tone.

The man who first spoke got up out of his chair at the bar and moved closer to Lilian. I took hold of my mace’s pommel and matched his gait, reaching Lilian just as he did. The man turned to me and looked down at the Canaan Cross I bore. His lips curled upward like a hounds, revealing blackened, cavity ravaged teeth.

“Soliel swine.” He growled. “We’ll have none of your preaching here.”

“We did not come to preach.” Lilian replied calmly. “We came to request entrance to the mine closest to the town. Who is its proprietor? We wish to speak with him.”

“For what reason?” The man boldly asked.

“That…” Lilian immediately answered with authority. “… is between us and the proprietor.”

A door squeaked open. All heads turned as a squat, but solid form appeared under the door frame. He was not much taller than Balian’s Gnome house servant, Orolde, but his build was far more imposing. His arms and legs were like stumps of oak trees. They were hidden under layers of richly decorated clothing that also masked a chain shirt that clinked as he strode forward to meet us. A long beard that covered up most of his stony face, grew to the floor. There was no doubt this was one of the fabled dwarves.

“Then you wish to speak with me.” He said in a gravelly voice, staring up at Lilian with impassive brown eyes. “I am Ragnolin Dourstone. What is it that you want?”

“May we speak in private?” Lilian calmly inquired.

Ragnolin’s cheeks pushed the upper edges of his beard upward in what I concluded was a smile.

“Of course, my lady.” He said almost warmly. “But my time is short. And as you know… time is silver.”

He lead up to a smaller room in the tavern. He sat behind a table in a chair custom built for one of his stature. The table was covered in piles of meticulously cleaned and collected raw silver nuggets. Copper scales and a large ledger awaited use.

“So, Champion of Canaan.” Ragnolin said. “What is it that you want?”

Lilian spoke in a hushed, conspiratorial tone.

“There is a great evil that was taken up refuge in your mine, and we mean to eradicate it from Diamond Lake.”

A long silence ensued as Ragnolin took each of us in. His demeanor did not even flinch as he locked eyes with the strange, plant-like appearance of Shallahai. This was clearly a creature that had seen much and was not easily shook. His eyes returned to Lilian’s.

“Get out of my tavern.” He finally said, ice and malice dripping over his beard. “Get out of Diamond Lake. Go back to your accursed Turgos and leave us be while you still can. If you stay…” He finished his thought with a curt grunt and took up his ledger and a quill pen. He began taking notes.

Shallahai stepped forward.

“You are a fool.” He said with malice that equaled the dwarf’s. “You are blinded by the glint of gold and silver. It shall be your undoing.”

Ragnolin responded by dropping a few small silver nuggets on the copper scale and jotting the results down in his ledger.

Outside the tavern, a much flummoxed Hu Li ranted.

“May the Eyeless Hollow Ones devour their whole race!” He bellowed. “They are not worth the excrement of a Dretch!”

We followed Lilian as she walked with determination down the narrow streets of Diamond Lake. After a few more incoherent curses, Hu Li at last fell silent.

“Lady Lilian.” Talon finally spoke. “Where are we headed?”

“To Ragnolin’s mine, of course.” She said.

“We mean to trespass, then?” I asked. “Simply burglar our way in?”

Lilian nodded. “I sense great evil in that dwarf. I am convinced he is in league with the Axis and we can waste no time trying to parlay with him. We must act before we let another opportunity slip through our fingers.”

No one objected. We followed Lilian out to the edge of the town and up a stony path that snaked into the formidable mountains. Artifacts of earlier mining expeditions littered the way. Broken picks, warped, wheel-less carts, shattered bowls and twisted sieves served as improvised markers dictating we were headed in the right direction.

What I was expecting to meet in the sunless caverns of the dwarven mines was far tamer and less horrific than what truly awaiting us in the deep shadows. As I write this I am overwhelmed with the memory of what we endured under the mountain and I am still grateful to Canaan that more of us did not perish.

Canaan

First Post
Chapter 32: The Dark-Siders

At last the steep stony mountain path began to level out. Talon lead the way, keeping several paces in front of myself, Lilian and Hu Li. Shallahai had transformed himself into a bird and flew gracefully far above us as we toiled up the path.

Talon stopped and waited for us to catch up. Shallahai roosted on a small outcropping on the side of a cliff nearby. Up ahead we all spotted what was undoubtedly the entrance to the mine. The mouth was only 6 feet tall, but spanned nearly 40 feet in width. The softened earth was scarred with tracks left from cart wheels, mule hooves and the boots of miners.

Empty carts stood in a row to the west of the mine and we could smell the heavy stench of the mules’ manure wafting from a wooden stable just behind the carts. Other than the occasional irritated neighing the tethered mules emitted from their cells, all was quiet. Canaan’s grace was with us. We had arrived at a time when no miners were on duty.

Talon suddenly jerked his head toward the east. A muddy road snaked off behind a tall cliff just beyond the mine’s entrance. Talon turned to us and whispered. “Someone is coming.”

Just then a solitary armored figure with a halberd slung lazily across his shoulders appeared and made his way toward the mine. He suddenly became alert as he saw us and deftly took hold of his halberd, lowered it threateningly.

“What business have you at Dourstone’s Mine?” He asked with authority, but there was something else in his tone, something oddly congenial and welcoming.

“We seek passage into the mines.” Lilian answered striding forward, her hand resting on the pommel of her sword. “We hail from Turgos and learned that a great evil resides in the mines. We mean to destroy it.”

The guard watched her a moment and then dropped his stern demeanor. “You don’t want to go to the mines. You want to go to what’s under them.” The guard said sagely.

Lilian looked back at us as if for assurance she had heard him correctly.

“You know what is in these caves?” I asked the guard.

He laughed. “Of course! We all do! We are hired to keep people, people like you, out so they can… do whatever it is they do down there. Dourstone’s been paid handsomely by those blokes. But me? I’d be better off a slave. At least slaves get fed. I have to take copper out of my wages to pay for the slop they call food up here.”

He spat at the ground.

Lilian strode forward. She moved in and spoke to the guard softly and conspiratorially.

“How much do you require?” She asked the man, her face so close to his that I imagined her having to battle with his noxious breath. “How much to purchase your aid? We require a guide who can see us safely through the maze of caverns…”

“One thousand gold coins.” The man abruptly interrupted. I was beyond shock. A thousand gold coins? That is more than most poor souls would see in a score of lifetimes. Lilian opened her mouth to counter the offer, but the man held up his gauntleted hand.

“That is my fare.” He said firmly. “Take it, or find some other fool to risk his livelihood and his life to aid you.”

Lilian nodded at the man and rejoined us. Hu Li was the first to respond to the guard’s demand.

“Let me transmogrify this mongoloid into gruel.” He snarled. “There should be enough of him to last us for days.”

“He is not evil.” Lilian told us. “He is little more than a slave, and by his tone, he is desperate to leave this place. This gold frees him, and he has the potential to go off and do good, rather than rot here protecting evil.”

“Not to mention we’ll be lost in those caves without his help.” I added. “What is gold to us? Give to Soliel what is theirs. Give to Canaan what is His.”

After more grumbling from Hu Li, which we ignored, we emptied our pouches. Shallahai and Talon had nothing of earthly value on their persons and, thus, could not contribute to this cause. Between the few hundred coins I carried, the small pile of gold in Lilian’s purse and the half dozen pearls Hu Li was willing to part with, we collected a worthy sum of just over nine hundred gold.

It proved to be sufficient and the guard agreed to be our guide into Dourstone’s mine.

“I will take you only to the shaft that leads to the temple.” The guard warned us. “After that, I am taking this money and going on a very long holiday.”

It was the last words he spoke to us. With our greedy stranger in the lead, we ventured into the cave. Several times he stopped us and maneuvered ahead, out of our view. Each time Hu Li shot us all a vexed look.

“Ready yourselves.” He would hiss. “He means to betray us to his Masters.”

And then, just as the paranoid wizard finished, the guard would reappear and beckon us forward with a gesture of his hand. We would hurriedly follow. Talon noted to us later that, each time, he spotted the boots of other guards or dwarf miners turning corners to our left or right, timed perfectly so as to guarantee no chance of them either seeing or hearing us.

“This guard…” I told the ascetic. “… clearly earned his wage.”

After what felt like hours of this fox-ducking-from-the-hounds gambit, the guard brought us to a lonely, unassuming wooden lift. It was illuminated by four dim flickers of oil lamps that hung on wrought iron hooks that had been hammered into the roughly shorn walls. A thick coil of rope tethered the lift to an iron pulley.

Lilian turned to thank our guide for his service, but he was gone. Hu Li’s eyes narrowed into slits.

“He has gone to warn his allies.” He whispered. “We have been duped!”

Lilian and Talon both ignored the mage’s warning by bravely moving up to the lift.

“He did his job.” Shallahai said. “The rest is up to us.”

Hu Li harrumphed and opened his mouth to counter Shallahai’s call, but he was interrupted by Lilian’s voice.

“We found the lift’s crank.” The Champion of Canaan said with command. “We go down.”

“My Lady…” Hu Li began, affecting a syrupy relish to his voice that failed to mask his cowardice. “Must we be so hasty? Must we, once again, go blindly into a…”

“Yes.” Lilian said with such righteous and fearless determination that all heads turned to her. She had the mien of a woman who had made up her mind and would not be argued with. For a moment there was a palpable silence, and then Lilian took hold of the crank that lowered the lift.

“Everyone on board.” She ordered.

We obeyed and gathered onto the wooden planks. Lilian turned the crank. We were slowly lowered down a narrow shaft that suddenly opened up into a wide, smooth cavern lit by blood red tongues of flames dancing within pools of brass braziers that lined the cavern floor.

As eerie and unsettling was the light those braziers cast, I was quietly thankful for it, for nearly one third of the floor was occupied by a massive pool. It was filled to nearly overflowing by some unnamable black ooze. I feared if there had been no light, one of us would have undoubtedly fallen prey to the pool’s horrors.

No one spoke. The lift ended its descent and we parted from it. We were in the dead center of the cavern. The walls were surprisingly smooth and expertly crafted. Three corridors, one leading North, one East and one West, jutted out from the chambers. Each ended after only ten feet with a large iron door bearing a symbol. The pool took up the Southern portion of the chamber. In the dim light, and at the distance we stood, it was difficult to discern what each symbol was, but I had little doubt what one would be to devil tyrant Bael, one to the horrid sleeping god of death, Nerull and the last to the vile demon prince of bloodletting, Lazbrul’thul.

We had found it, the tri-temple of the Axis of Annihilation.

“Talon!” I heard Shallahai calling in a harsh whisper. I turned to see that the fey’s spirit within the monk had again taken hold. Talon had gone up to one of the braziers and stood transfixed and giddy by the chaotic ballet. Shallahai took a few steps over to him, but Lilian interceded.

“Leave him.” She said. I admit I was surprised by her suggestion. “Allow him a moment’s indulgence, lest he be continuously burdened by the spirits that haunt him, with no respite from their whispers. As he is lost to their song, let our remainder investigate these doors.”

“Yes. Doors.” Hu Li mumbled just loud enough for me alone to hear. “I so love doors. We only ever find wonderful things behind doors. Wonderful, glorious, friendly…”

“Are you finished?” I asked. Hu Li’s chalky mien turned away from me.

“We are all finished.” He snarled. “This is folly.”

The sharp, steely ring of Lilian’s blade being liberated from its sheath filled the stone dome we found ourselves encased within.

“We investigate each doorway, one at a time.” She said with authority. “Be alert. No doubt there will be traps and other surprises awaiting anyone…”

“Stupid enough to come down here uninvited?” Hu Li finished her sentence with a satisfied titter.

“What of Talon?” The wizard asked with incredulity, waving a thumb at the monk. “Do we just leave him to his show?”

“Yes.” She said with finality. “If his skills are required, we shall wrest him, but until then, we leave him alone.”

At that very moment, a voice, booming and shrill, filled the massive chamber without warning. The suddenness and volume of the noise was severe enough to bring Talon back to sobriety.

“Be off, then!” The voice said. Hu Li trembled. We all recognized it at once. It was Master Balian. “They await you! Go! GO! GO!”

Was he speaking to us? To Hu Li? To me? Why was he down here in this pit of depravity? Was he secretly working at odds to us? These questions and countless more flashed like flickers of fireflies before me.

Hu Li had gone fetal, rocking back and forth on the dusty stone floor.

“Master! He calls!” He was almost chanting. “He calls me home! Away! Away! Away from this trough of idiocy! Take me! I am ready!”

Before any of us could react, a fleshy, puckered circular orifice appeared above us. It spun much like a child’s top, and as it did, a viscous slime bled from the center. The slime, as I recall with growing horror as I write this, did not so much splash when it hit the floor, but collected into chunky, turgid, pungent wads. Slowly, the edifice revealed a putrid, boil- bedecked sphincter that bubbled open and ejaculated a solitary figure, cocooned in taupe excrement.

An instant later, the nightmarish portal vanished, leaving its ooze-drowned charge on the cavern floor. It did not move.

“Is it dead, then?” Hu Li asked, taking a step toward it. He recoiled and screamed like a harpy robbed of its mate as the man suddenly sat up, hacking out pounds of gray phlegm from his lungs.

I admit without shame that I shared Hu Li’s horror and was startled enough to recoil, myself. Talon, reclaimed by the intoxicating sighs of his faean proclivities, alone strode forward and bent over the figure. His eyes were lit with curiosity and wonder.

“And who are you?” He asked, his normally stoic voice suffering under the strain of his impish urges. “How did you get here? And what are you covered in? I say, I have never experienced such a potent perfume in all my days!” Talon then did something that forced me to clench my stomach in an effort to lock it down lest I let loose my distressed humours all about the cavern floor. He took a finger full of the waste and brought it up to his trembling proboscis and sniffed, deeply.

“I am Feir’inj.” The man said, wiping slime from his lips. His accent was as thick as the gunk he sat in. I recognized it immediately. The last time I heard such a treatment of the Common tongue it was by the Shuuthian merchant who had purchased the Goldfire Glen shop from Tanner’s family, the one that we later learned was a Succubus. “I am from Shuuth.” He continued, validating my memory.

“I was sent here by a wizard named Balian. For what purpose I know not, only that he was insistent that you needed my aid.”

He began to stand, but his sandaled foot slipped on some of the slime under him and he tottered. Luckily Talon had somehow grown lucid in the seconds that had passed and his lightening quick reflexes were sufficient to catch the stranger before he fell.

Hu Li stepped forward, waving his arms in elaborate gestures that resembled mopping an oily floor.

Beitir!” He shouted his prestidigitation and ghostly hands bearing buckets of water laden with rose petals appeared all around Feir’inj. The buckets upturned and the Shuuthian was showered by sweet scented arcane fluids. An instant later, the grime was gone from him, Talon and the floor. Even the smell had evaporated. Feir’inj checked his clothing, which consisted of a suit of brown leather armor, a deep green cloak, boots that rode up to his knees and a curved blade that rested in an ornately decorated leather sheath tethered to his belt. All were completely dry.

“Thank you, wizard.” Feir’inj said with solemn appreciation. “You must be the Acolyte Hu Li, of whom Balian spoke.” He added. Hu Li gave the stranger a side long glance.

“I… could be....” He answered cautiously. “What did Balian say of this… Hu Li?”

Before Feir’inj could answer, Lilian stepped forward.

“Balian’s wisdom has once again proved fortuitous.” She said, holding out her hand in welcome. Feir’inj looked at her hand for a brief moment as if it were the head of an adder, poised to strike, but then his features softened and he took her hand in his. “Well met, friend Feir’inj.” She continued as they shook hands. “We find ourselves, once again, facing down dangers that may prove beyond us. Any help you may provide in ensuring we succeed in our righteous endeavors is most humbly appreciated.”

The Champion of Canaan then released her hand from his and bowed. Feir’inj smiled and nodded.

“Though you are not skilled in the language of our people,” He said “Clearly, you are well versed in our customs. I most humbly answer your call, and pray that the Sleeping Gods may bless us and allow this lowly child of sand the means to aid you on your noble quest.

He returned the bow.

“Great!” Hu Li spat. “If that’s all done, can we get on with this? I have books to read and things to summon!”

“One moment.” Shallahai tersely rebuked. “Forgive my prejudice, but the last of your ilk we had dealings with was, in truth, a succubus disguised.” The Green’s Answer moved in close to Feir’inj and his voice took on a deep, cruel, vengeful edge. “How do we know that you are not another masquerading fiend?”

“Because I would know.” Lilian said, irritation seeping through her usually regal and poised demeanor. “This man is not evil. He comes to aid us in our time of need.”

“I defer, Champion, to your counsel.” Shallahai said with a slight bow. “But I must make it known that I find all this far too convenient.”

“What manner of creature are you to judge me, simply by my mien?” Fier’inj asked, without a hint of offense. This Shuuthian was clearly a man of equal poise to Lilian.

“I am Her Servant, Her Answer to the Terrible Workings of Man and Fiend!” Shallahai said, turning back to the man, eyes black as pitch.

“You are the Heroes of Goldfire Glen.” Fier’inj said with sudden realization. “Forgive me for not recognizing you sooner. The journey I am on has been quite taxing. I am honored to meet you. I am your eternal servant.” He bowed deeply.

“If the stories I heard of your exploits be true, then we have a common enemy. The man you speak of, the shopkeeper, was a dear friend of my order, before he vanished without a trace. Word crept back to Shuuth that he had appeared in the Turgosian town of Goldfire Glen. That is why I was sent there to meet one who was once amongst your number. A one legged man named…”

“Gabriel.” Lilian said, emotion creeping into her. “He is my brother.”

“Yes. He spoke of you, fondly enough, as he did with the rest of you, though he was entangled by the vine as we say in my homeland.”

Lilian nodded. I lowered my eyes. Gabriel had fallen again to libations.

“He told me of the succubus and how it used my friend’s countenance to immure itself into the provinciality of your fair town, and how, after he was arrested for suspicious behavior in the wake of the massacre of Goldfire Glen, and rightfully incarcerated, it revealed its true likeness and vanished. He could tell me no more, but pointed me to Balian’s tower, saying the sage was a man of great knowledge, if questionable morals, and thus I went.” He continued. “I did enjoy an audience with this master, when it was suddenly cut short by his demand that I be sent here." The stranger shuddered, "Before I could respond I was whisked into that abominable tunnel, of which I dare not speak.”

“The succubus…” Lilian said. “… was vanquished from Turgos, by our hand.”

The Shuuthian’s face lowered.

“That is good. It was necessary.” He said, oddly sad. “It means that the mystery of the fate of our friend remains so, and as Goldfire Glen was the only clue I had, the dismissal of the fiend means that the trail has come to an end. I fear I will never learn the truth. I will return to my order and report my findings.”

Just then we heard the lift behind us let out a whine. It loudly squeaked and began to rise. Someone or something would soon be coming down.

“Everyone.” Lilian ordered in a stern whisper. “Find a place to hide.”

We obeyed by scattering to the proverbial four winds. I found myself in a shadow drowned corridor on the Eastern side, which began on the outer lip of the braziers’ dancing red glow. The others vanished from my view. I prayed to Canaan for patience and strength. All fell silent, save for the creaking of the lift.

At last it ended its ascent. I could hear the pulley being locked into place. A moment later, I perceived the soft footfalls of several unseen creatures gathering on the planks of the lift. Then, as with we, the lift slowly creaked downward. In the crimson glow of the brazier fires I could see several men, all in black, tight-fitting robes. One in their number was garbed in a uniform identical in every detail as the others, save for its hue. This figure’s robe was blood red. A device, similar in appearance to a narrow, unadorned wooden scroll tube, hung from a cloth belt around his midsection.

The red-robed figure was the first off the lift. The others seemed to treat him as their master or leader and waited for him to take a few strides before them, and then fell into two perfectly positioned lines behind him. They then silently marched off down the Western corridor. As they approached the door, it opened for them. As the last of their ranks cleared the doorway, it silently closed behind him. I waited, my body squashed up against the cold stone wall, trying to stay within the protective blanket of shadow. Several minutes passed, none of us too keen on leaving the protective cover of darkness. Then from the Western corridor, beyond the closed door, I heard the sound of a second heavy door being opened and then, again, closed.

I let out a sigh of relief, but it proved to be premature. The Western doorway suddenly burst open, revealing a massive brown bear, larger than anything I had ever seen. Its features were almost demonic. It bore painful looking ridges of bone that grew out of either side of its forehead and down its back. Its claws and teeth were much more pronounced and drizzled with saliva. It breathed in and its head swayed to and fro, as if searching.

I heard Hu Li’s panicked, soprano squeal. “What in name of the Eyeless Hallow Ones is that?!”

Shallahai and Fier’inj simultaneously answered the wizard. “A dire bear!”

A roar erupted out of the monstrous animal. I pushed myself from the wall and lowered my mace, praying to Canaan to infuse His might into it, transforming it into a magic weapon. The head of my mace glowed with divine power.

The roars intensified. I saw Lilian bound across the chamber racing for the bear. She was closely followed by the Shuuthian, who had drawn his saber.

I gathered up my courage and readied to leap forth when I heard a scratching on the stone walls behind and above me.

I turned to see the silhouettes of two horned creatures clinging to the walls nearly on top of me. They were almost human in likeness, but for the small pointed horns atop their brows and the bestial talons that curled from their elongated fingers and toes. Their feet clung to the walls as if on solid horizontal ground.

“Look, brother.” One said to the other, revealing gleaming, pearly teeth that were as sharp as newborn icicles. “A lightsider.”

The other giggled.

“Yes, fiends!” I answered. “I am a servant of Canaan, the Almighty! I come to enact justice upon you!”

“Canaan?” One of them grimaced. “He has no power here! Begone from this place before something unfortunate befalls you.”

The battle behind me raged on. I dare not look and allow these creatures to take advantage of my foible. I was thus committed to eradicating these beasts from the face of Turgos and I knew that the others, so engaged with the roaring aberration, would not know of this struggle. I would be forced to deal with these two alone.

I began to pray, summoning up Canaan’s will to smite these creatures with his righteousness.

The two unholy beasts laughed as I prayed, but I paid them no mind, so filled with Canaan’s blessed power that their guffaws were but wind to me.

Then, I was struck. My eyes wrenched open from the pain. Dark magics the likes of which I had never experienced coursed through me, tearing under my flesh, as if it were the pith of an orange being wrenched from its rind. I ignored the agony enough to finish my prayer and summon forth Canaan’s spiritual weapon. I instantly sent it hurtling at the creatures and it slashed at the shadows above me.

A cry of pain erupted from one of the creatures. I saw the other wave his hand in the direction of the gleaming sword I had just evoked. A blast of arcane energy shot forth from the fiend’s fingers. The blade was struck, and it shattered.

The other fiend fired down a purple and black beam at me. I was thrown to the floor, crippled by the searing blast of corrupted energy. The pain subsided enough for me to gather my wits. I began to pray, calling upon Canaan’s goodness to surround me with a protection from evil, but before I could enact it, I was struck with a third blast of pure evil, held as it was by the first beast, waiting for me to act, and then destroying all chance I had to shield me from further harm.

The pain proved too much and I let out a cry, thus disrupting my prayer and the divine power trickled away.

A fourth blast slammed into my chest. I felt no pain, as an all-consuming numbness enveloped me. All turned to black. The sounds of battle subsided. The cackles of the brothers faded.

I was lost to the world, brought to the brink of death by these warlock’s infernal eldritch blasts.

D'nemy

First Post
The next chapter is on its way. I promise. I've been crazy busy with a couple of projects, but those are pretty much done, so now I can devote my time to getting this Story Hour up to date.

Thanks for your patience!

D'nemy

Canaan

First Post
Chapter 33: The Temple of Bael

After swimming for countless moments in a sea of burning, lightless cold, I was hauled back to life by a stinging slash in my chest. My eyes opened onto dim, flickering scarlet torches. Alighted on my chest was a small, black feathered bird. I instantly recognized the instinctual indifference of Shallahai’s gaze in the bird’s eyes. It let out a short, curt chirp and then soared off me toward the deep shadows above. The druid, wildshaped as he was, had healed me.

The burns left by the warlock’s blasts subsided. I quietly thanked the Green for Her intervention and rolled over to stand. As I did, my hand struck scaly flesh. I recoiled and crawled backward, hitting a wall. On the floor lay one of the fiendish brothers who had smote me with its blasts. Deep gashes oozed gelatinous blood from its throat and chest. The other warlock was nowhere to be seen.

A light passed over me, followed instantly by an ear-splitting squawk. I looked up to see, encased in a celestial glow, a hippogriff diving for the dire bear that had taken up the rest of my companions’ attention. Several other animals, dogs and wolves, similarly haloed, lunged and snapped at the monstrous bear.

I gasped and immediately stood when I saw that Lilian Evenshire, Champion of Canaan, had been grappled by the bear and was being continuously and horribly squeezed and mauled by it.

Hu Li and Feir’inj, the Shuuthian Druid sent to aid us by Balian’s questionable, but nonetheless, affective magic, were gesticulating their hands in the manner of a puppeteer, sending their summoned monsters into the fray. The hippogriff dug its formidable beak into the bear, tearing off a massive chunk of fur and flesh.

The bear howled with pain and Lilian managed to push herself free from the creature’s grasp. I saw, with growing dread, that her armor was in tatters and caked with her own blood. She had little strength left and if this beast was not dealt with swiftly, she would be lost to us, again.

I called to Canaan, uttering a prayer to aid my allies and confound our common enemy.

It was then that I saw Talon burst out from the chaos of the fight. He leapt effortlessly into the air and landed square on the back of the bucking, howling dire bear. He struck at the beast with his fists.

Lilian tried to run, but stumbled. We were all too far away to aid her, and the Western corridor, where the battle was being fought, was hopelessly clogged with the creatures summoned by Shallahai, Feir’inj and Hu Li. I could only look on as the bear ignored the monk’s blows and reached for Lilian, scooping her up into its massive arms to maul her again. She let out a short, pained scream, and then fell limp.

It was only then that the bear dropped her. I scrambled to my feet and called forth to Canaan. I had power enough left in me and planned well for the horrors we were destined to face. I therefore summoned forth a second spiritual weapon and sent it slashing at the monstrous bear.

Within moments the creature, beset as it was with the summoned hippogriff, the other called animals and Canaan’s fiery sword, was utterly destroyed and vanished in a puff of brown smoke.

I raced forward, calling upon Canaan’s healing grace, and lay my hands upon the fallen Champion. Warmth poured from my hands and sank into her. Her bruises receded and she stirred. Shallahai in his natural form came about, a thin green aura surrounding him like a waterfall splitting over a rock, and bent over, and placed his hands upon a persistent wound on Lilian’s arm. It instantly healed.

She stood, fully restored. She looked at both Shallahai and myself and smiled.

“Thank you.” She said, and then suddenly turned toward the large door at the end of the hallway where the summoned dire bear once stood as guardian. Talon, too, bristled, and stared fixedly at the door. We all turned. My eyes were drawn to the horrid symbol of Bael emblazoned upon it, a curved sword dripping with blood.

The heavy door pushed open without a sound. A solitary figure, garbed in a red robe stepped into the light. His face was masked by the shadows cast down from his hood. He stopped in mid-gait and his head turned directly to Talon.

“Let us pass.” The voice was a calm, confident baritone. “If thou refuse, to thy Maker we shall send thee.” There was no trace of malice within it, only assurance that this figure would hold true to his promise.

He accented his proposition by holding forth his hand. It was gauntleted with an ornate metallic half globe, not unlike the pommel of a rapier. Talon’s eyes widened at the sight of it.

Mordind.” Talon uncharacteristically gasped.

There was a short hiss. It was followed by a low hum that accompanied a glowing blade forged entirely of red light that emerged from the globe. The blade pulsated with an energy the likes of which were entirely foreign to me. Time and circumstance would not afford me the luxury of inquiring as from what manner of magic this sword was crafted, as Talon leapt forth, eyes full of focus, arms and legs perfectly posed to tear this villain asunder.

It was then, with Talon in mid-leap, that the Mordind moved back into the shadows beyond the door, only the red of his blade visible. In his stead, his disciples tumbled forward, effortlessly leaping over and around us. Before we could even react to their presence, we were surrounded.

There were six in all.

Talon landed under the archway of the door. Two disciples instantly flanked him. From the bosom of the shadows, the leader again spoke.

“Talon.” He said. “When I last saw you, you were no more than a baby. How you have grown. We did not come to fight you, or your companions. Let us pass and we shall leave you to your quest. Impede us, and you are doomed.”

“I will not suffer the existence of the Mordind.” Talon said in a solemn response. “I cannot. It is my duty to destroy you to the last.”

“Careful, Talon.” The leader said, equally solemn and calm. “Lest your duty blind you to the truth.”

“Oh, shove it, you pansy!” Shouted Hu Li. “Get out of our way or be fed to the Eyeless Hollow Ones!”

The wizard began chanting.

The acolytes closed in around him, but everyone was ready. All at once, the hallway erupted with the cacophony of battle. Lilian leapt to Hu Li’s side and took the brunt of several blows that were meant for the wizard.

The two acolytes on Talon both swept their legs out low and wide, catching their Celind foe by the back of his ankles. Talon was knocked off his feet and somersaulted violently to the floor.

The spiritual weapon I had summoned to aid us in the battle against the dire bear still swirled above me. I sent it flying at one of the acolytes that threatened Talon. It swung wildly, but the skilled monk effortlessly evaded its blows.

Hu Li completed his chant and an azure glow enveloped his hands as several magic missiles fired forth slamming into one of the acolytes with tremendous force. The monk fell, dead.

Behind Hu Li, Shallahai and Feir’inj were entangled in their own fight with the last two of the Mordind contingent. Both had their scimitars freed from their scabbards, clearly forgoing divine magic for a more martial tactic. All four were locked in a deadly circuitous dance of steel and flesh, weaving and hacking, but neither side gaining ground.

Lilian kept close to Hu Li, protecting him from the remaining monk that threatened them both. She thrust and slashed her blade, slicing into the monk’s robe, but never hitting deeply enough to slay him. Her adversary swung a foot with blinding speed and stunning accuracy. It slammed into her chin. She reeled back, but managed to remain standing.

I turned back to see Talon as he bound to his feet. He sliced his hand across the throat of one of the acolytes. The throat cracked under the blow, and the head tilted horribly to one side. The defeated monk crumpled to the floor. The other one swung a foot at Talon’s head, hitting him squarely in the ear. Talon spun, but managed to remain standing. Blood gushed from his ear and spackled the wall behind him.

My spiritual weapon slashed at the remaining monk on Talon. The shining, flame wreathed blade stabbed deeply, critically, into the back of the Mordind cultist. Its power spent, the blade vanished, but the wound was sufficient and the monk collapsed.

Talon and I both turned to see the two monks threatening Shallahai and Feir’inj fall under the might of the two druids’ scimitars. Lilian, her face battered by the incessant blows of the monk still on her, finally managed to score a fatal blow with her sword. The monk spun violently out of control and death overcame him.

We all then faced the Mordind leader. The glowing red blade sunk back into the half globe clutched in his hand.

“Surrender!” Talon commanded with uncharacteristic aggression.

“Now is not the time, Talon.” The leader said calmly. “We both have work to do.”

With that, he leapt up and outward, toward the wall to our left. His feet barely touched the wall before he sprung off to the right wall, and again, leapt to the left wall, deftly, quietly, gracefully bounding out of the hallway into the center chamber.

Talon tumbled after him, whisking by us with great speed. We all followed. By the time we reached the center chamber, the leader was at the elevator shaft. He turned back to us and before anyone could react, he flew straight upward, vanishing in the blackness above.

Talon jumped onto the wooden lift, but Lilian had caught up with him.

“Let him go, Talon.” She firmly stated. “He is not our reason for being down here. Focus on what must be done, now. Not on vengeance.”

Talon looked the Champion in the eye.

“It is not vengeance that drives me.” He said, coldly. “It is duty. He is my enemy. He must be destroyed.”

“Talon, listen to me.” Lilian pleaded. “We need you here. We need your help to cleanse this evil place. We cannot do it without you. What would your Master tell you?”

Talon lowered his head. His taut body relaxed as he took a long, deep breath.

“Patience.” He finally whispered. “He would counsel patience.”

“Yes.” Lilian answered, nodding.

“Forgive me, Lilian.” Talon said. “I… forgot myself for a moment.”

“Are we all friends, again? Can we move on, now?” Hu Li whined.

After I called upon Canaan’s healing grace to cure Lilian and Talon’s wounds, we returned to the hallway where the Mordind acolytes still lay. We ignored them and moved cautiously down the hall. Talon led the way with Lilian and myself behind him. Shallahai and Feir’inj, scimitars drawn, followed, which left Hu Li astern.

Hollow. That was the overriding impression I recall as we walked down that crimson shadowed hall. We passed under the proscenium that, moments earlier, was guarded by the Mordind master. No one uttered a word. Even Hu Li’s whistling nostrils fell silent within the suffocating bosom of that oppressive air.

Tales stretching back to the beginning of time tell of the seductive airs of the devils. How their countenance is always alluring, beautiful, intoxicating, and their whispered promises, tempting for even the most chaste and unflappable saints. As we walked down that dark corridor, inching our way to a black iron door at the end, which bore the symbol of Bael’s bleeding sword, all those stories evaporated from my mind. Here in the heart of a place held sacred to the disciples of the Devil Prince, all I could feel was an immense void and the desire to rebuke the emptiness with a shred of sunlight.

How anyone could fall to the siren calls of the Hells after enduring such profound coldness and barrenness shall remain, until Canaan calls me home, a mystery to me.

After Talon looked over the door and declared it free from traps, Lilian stepped forward and pushed on it. It creaked open.

Red, yellow and orange light danced across the jam from within. We entered, weapons ready for anything that might leap from the deep shadows that battled with the thin tendrils of cavorting fire lights.

Our eyes adjusted to the contrast and we beheld a massive temple of iron and stone, in the very center of which we stood. Some sixty feet above us a ledge hugged the walls on all sides. Sitting in a throne, flanked by two more fiendish men—warlocks like the brothers at the temple’s entrance—no doubt, sat a red-robed priest.

His face was as thin and sallow as an onion’s fragile flesh. A sharp, black goatee stabbed out from his chin. His head was as bald as an apple. His hands were lost under the waves of his heavy sleeves. He barely moved. His two minions did not move at all.

I looked around the rest of the ledge and saw no more than six robed figures, placed in strategic intervals along the wall. Their faces were shadowed by their hoods and they all bore wide curved bladed in their hands. Like the tieflings, these devotees to Bael stood like stone. Though they were all sixty feet above us, we were surrounded.

“What is the meaning of this sacrilege?” The high priest bellowed from his chair.

“We come in the name of Canaan to cleanse this unholy place!” I shouted back.

“How dare you?” The priest shot back, suddenly standing and glaring down at us. “This is a holy place! We have the right to pray as we see fit! We do not burst into your houses of worship and make threats against you! You…” He added pointing to me. “Priest, should understand this!”

“You have sinned against Canaan!” Lilian shouted. “We come to enact His justice upon you and your whole wicked cabal!”

“You enter into our hallowed halls, attack our disciples, our guests…”

“We were defending ourselves!” Lilian interrupted.

“Silence!” The priest’s voice echoed throughout the chamber.

I refused to be cowed by this corrupt man. I stepped forward to challenge him, but was disrupted by Talon, who suddenly strode by me. He gazed up at the priest and raised his palms.

“Great priest.” He said. “You are in league with the Axis of Annihilation. You seek the return of Kharas’Voorhies and this is something we cannot allow.”

“Lies! All lies! I am a Priest of the Bael!” The priest shouted with great indignation. “I have nothing to do with those other two religions, save for the proximity of their temples. I do not follow or confer or in any way conspire with them. Their beliefs, frankly, are beneath the glory of Bael and I would sooner die than unite with those… misguided fools!”

Talon bowed.

“Enough blood has already been spilt.” He said “We have intruded without provocation and ask you to allow us to leave in peace.”

The priest’s lips pulled back into a cruel grin and he laughed.

“You are wise, monk, to advise against challenging me. You have no power here. You have no jurisdiction here! You are also outnumbered and your strength spent. I am a patient man, but I have my limits. Leave now and I shall be merciful. If you stay, you will be slain.”

Talon merely bowed and turned to us, indicating urgently yet subtly with his eyes that we should leave.

“He’s right.” Hu Li’s voice was tinged with a panicky vibrato. “My spells are all used up. There are too many of them. We are no match for them in this condition. We should leave.”

“Coward!” I let out in a harsh whisper that, to my surprise, filled the echoing chamber.

“Evora.” Talon cautioned. “Remember my lesson of earlier. Patience. Now is not the time.” Talon whispered as he passed me.

“No, Evora, Hu Li is not a coward.” Lilian answered. I turned to her, dismay overcoming me.

“But this priest must be stopped. What they’re doing here...” I said, not believing what I was hearing, searching for words to curtail Lilian’s sudden shift. Some small part of me understood where Talon was coming from and Hu Li was understandably a weak coward. But Lilian, it is our duty to cleanse this place in Canaan’s name. “Do not let fear cloud your resolve.”

“It is not fear. It is humility.” She said, sheathing her sword and walking away from us. “We go back to Allustan’s and seek his council. Coming here was hubris. Canaan forgive me, but this was a mistake.”

We followed her out of the chamber. Shallahai matched her pace.

“Lady Lilian, this is not like you.” He said. “You are bewitched. You are...”

“I am quite in control of my wits, Druid.” She said, an anger threatening to erupt from her. “Fighting them would be foolish! We would be throwing our lives away! Like Gabriel did. And he was punished for it!”

“Canaan brought him back to us.” I said. “Surely that means…”

“You know nothing, Evora!” Lilian shouted as we cleared the hall and entered the center chamber. Lilian headed for the wooden lift.

“Oh, bother.” Hu Li sputtered with irritation. “Here goes my last spell of the day. I hope you’re all happy! Athair litrich!” He commanded with a wave of his hand. I recognized the intonation. It was an abjuration to dispel magic, and he had directed it at Lilian.

The air cracked and shimmered as an auburn rain descended over Lilian, grappling with the enchantment which held her in its sway. A violent second later, the two forces dissipated.

The Champion stopped and held her head, swaying as if about to faint. Shallahai and Talon rushed to her. She was free.

I looked to Hu Li with surprise and did not attempt to mask my delight.

“What did you do, wizard?” Fier’inj asked. I startled at his deep, heavily accented baritone. He had been silent for so long.

“What? Isn’t it obvious?” Hu Li huffed with arrogance. “She was under some kind of suggestion and I removed it. Not that I was in any kind of disagreement with what she was saying, it’s just, well… didn’t seem right coming from her.”

“Thank you, Hu Li.” I said, taking a step to him, arms outstretched. If his face had not crunched up with disgust at my gesture, I would have embraced him.

“Something followed us.” Lilian suddenly said, pointing toward shadows at the edge of the doorway that led back to Bael’s temple. “It is there! I can sense it.”

“Yes. I am here.” A voice, cold and sharp as sleet emitted from the shadows. “Yes. I followed you.”

“Show yourself, villain!” I commanded.

“I do not wish to.” It almost demurely hissed. “You will only attack me.”

“As a Priest of Canaan, I command you!” I retorted. “Show yourself!” Though my words were bold, my heart was fracturing. I had no power left. I was no threat to this creature, but I could not allow this beast to toy with us.

“We give you our word, we shall not attack you.” Lilian promised.

“You attacked my brothers.” The voice quickly answered. “Why should I believe you?”

“We were provoked.” Lilian calmly responded. “We had no choice but to defend ourselves.”

“Why are we talking to this thing?” Hu Li whined. “It’s nothing more than a ploy to…”

Hu Li abruptly stopped his rant as a figure removed itself from the deep shadows of the chamber. It was like the other half-fiends, tieflings if I remember my fiendish lore correctly, that almost destroyed us and served as Bael’s guardians.

Its flesh, if one could call it flesh, was like a thin layer of coal barely sheathing a blacksmith’s enraged fire pit. Its eyes were yellow pools laced with ebony veins. Its nose was nearly flat, discernable only by two narrow slits that must have been its nostrils. Its lips were obfuscated by two twisted rows of dusty fangs.

“Why are you leaving?” The beast asked. “The priest. He is weak. He can be defeated. I can help you.”

“Why would you want to help us?” Fier’inj asked with a growl in his voice.

“I want to leave here. I…” The creature hesitated. He stood there fishing for words. “If you leave now… it will be too late… they will be gone… I… do not like what I am. What I am told I am. I wish to…”

“You seek redemption.” I said. I felt everyone turn to me. “Nothing and no one is beyond salvation.” I ignored their stares and approached the tiefling. I placed a hand on his rocky flesh. His. Yes. In that moment this being was no longer an “it” to me. If he indeed had no soul, he sought one, and I could not refuse such a request. “Do you have a name?”

The creature looked at me for a long silent moment.

“They call me Rin.” He finally said. “Quickly. Let me show you. The priest, he is in his private quarters. He is vulnerable. Slay him and you can stop them. Come! Come!”

His voice was a whisper. He moved over to the wall back down the hallway toward the temple. He went half-way to the iron door and stopped.

“Here.” He pushed on the stone wall and it slid back, revealing a short hallway ending in a narrow staircase leading up. “He is there. I will show you.”

He hurried up the stairs. Lilian was the first to follow. I scrambled behind her. I could hear the others bounding just behind me. The stairway ended at a landing, then continued to the left. A few more strides and we were at a second landing. A small wooden door awaited us.

Once we were all gathered, Rin pointed at the door. He nodded. Lilian approached the door, releasing her blade from its sheath. I readied my mace. Shallahai and Feir’inj brandished their scimitars. Talon readied. Hu Li stood back at the edge of the staircase. He gripped his staff tightly.

Rin melted into the shadows.

Lilian opened the door. Beyond was a large room. The first thing I saw was a bed covered in red sheets. The room was lit with more crimson torches.

Standing by the bed, clothed in no more than his bedclothes, was the priest. His eyes widened with indignation at our entrance.

“Acolytes!” He shouted as he reached behind him to grab a sword off the wall. “We are invaded yet again!”

Lilian bounded to him with a war cry. The two locked swords with a great clang.

A door to the left of the priest’s bed burst open. Four armed acolytes poured in. I met the first one with my mace. He slashed his sword at me, but my chain shirt deflected the blow.

I retaliated with my mace, striking the disciple across his cheek. He spun halfway around before collapsing.

Another acolyte was on me. One hand held his sword, while the free hand crackled with purple energy. He slammed his hand into my chest and my flesh tore open from the inflict serious wounds spell.

Just then Talon bound over me and the remaining three acolytes. He tumbled to the door, slamming it shut and sliding the bar across it.

Feir’inj and Shallahai, side by side, hurtled toward the two acolytes before they could reach me. A chorus of scimitars and swords composed a vicious, impromptu operetta under the chaotic minuets of blood red torchlight.

Hu Li remained outside the room. There was no sign of our new ally. In that moment I wondered if I had been deceived. But my fears were assuaged when a burst of purple and black energy fired out of a shadow and struck the acolyte in melee with me. The acolyte barely responded, struck dumb and numb by the eldritch power the coursed through his body. He stiffened, and then crumbled, tendrils of smoke wafting up from his smote body.

The priest, locked in combat with Lilian, shuddered at the sight. His teeth clenched and his free hand enveloped with a grim power. He punched Lilian in the chest. She stumbled back, blood drizzling from the seams in her armor. I raced to her as she fell to the floor, staggered by the attack.

I had one useful spell left in me. Seeing Lilian almost perish from the priest’s viciousness forced me to use it. I called upon Canaan’s healing power to sanctify my allies with a mass lesser vigor. Though the healing would be slow and minimal, it may just be enough to stay death’s hand from clutching Lilian’s heart.

My strategy was fortuitous, as I heard Feir’inj cringe from a deep wound one of the acolytes exacted upon him. Shallahai, too, suffered a great blow from his opponent.

I could focus only on Lilian. Her fate was imminent. I positioned myself between her and the priest as he struck down with his sword. It was now infused with an unholy divine favor. The sword cut deep across my chest. I endeavored to ignore the potentially debilitating pain and countered the priest’s blow with my mace. In that moment I could see Lilian had scored at least one worthy hit on the villain, as his own blood stained his evening robes near his waist.

My mace struck his chest. The priest reeled back, but remained standing. A moment later, he was lifted off the ground. Talon had leapt on the bed and seized him. There was a short struggle before the priest’s neck shattered under the monk’s relentlessness.

Trapped and demoralized by their master’s defeat, the two remaining acolytes were soon vanquished by Feir’inj and Shallahai’s scimitars.

We had no time to celebrate, however, as the door Talon had bolted heaved from a heavy blow from the other side. A cloud of splinters ruptured from its planks.

Then Hu Li rushed in, panting, his chalky white face flushed with effort.

“The other door…” He said between gasps. “At the bottom of the stairs… It was shut by two of those… warlocks. I saw them closing it myself. No doubt they’re waiting in ambush.”

“Rin!” I called to the shadows. The tiefling emerged from a corner. “If you seek redemption, then prove yourself. Get us out of here!”

Another blow at the door warped one of the planks. It nearly bent in two over the iron bar.

“One more blow and that door shall be breached.” Feir’inj opined. “Quickly. Find something to bar their way.”

“No.” Rin said. “That will only make escaping harder. Wait here. They do not know of my betrayal. Trust me. I will clear a path.”

Before we could respond, he moved back into the shadows and was gone.

The pounding beyond the door stopped. We all stood in the room, staring at each other in silence, waiting for Rin’s return. The healing power of the vigor passed. Lilian leaned on a wall, bruised and winded. Her own healing power exhausted, she would not last another skirmish.

After several tense, soundless minutes, Rin reappeared at the landing by the staircase. Hu Li nearly jumped when he saw the fiend-blooded creature suddenly materialize.

“Stop doing that!” The wizard demanded.

“The way is clear.” Rin said. “Follow me.”

“Good!” Hu Li spluttered. “Let’s get out of here!”

He bolted down the staircase. Talon, Shallahai and Feir’inj followed.

Rin called out after them. “No! Wait! Through the temple! The other door is guarded!”

Lilian and I looked to the tiefling and then each other. All three of us chased our companions down the staircase, but by the time we reached the lower doorway, it was too late. Hu Li had opened it. I saw two more tieflings just beyond the threshold.

One let out an eldritch blast that sent Hu Li flying back and up the staircase. I had to lunge to avoid being toppled by his flailing arms.

So taken by the surprise, Talon, Feir’inj and Shallahai struggled to recover enough to respond. Lilian, however, was ready for the attack and she vaulted down the staircase passing the monk and two druids.

But to my horror, the second warlock had readied for this and just before the Champion of Canaan reached the door, the Dark Sider’s palms exploded with evil energy. Lilian was struck in the chest.

The remainder of the battle is clouded by my grief in remembering. I recall the door being closed. I recall being lead through the empty temple by Rin. I recall resting a few moments before ascending from the main chamber. All I recall was the overwhelming sorrow at witnessing Lilian, blessed of Canaan, being slain yet again, and I being powerless to prevent it.

Canaan

First Post
Chapter 34: The Sphincter

The angelic serenity of her face rivaled the most delicate of sculptures in The Great Temple of Soliel, even in death. Lilian Evenshire could have been sleeping. But the unmistakable rigidity of her limbs and the stillness of her breast, devoid of the deep rhythmic tempo of sleep, disabused me of that illusion, ripping me from fond reverie into the stark reality of the present. And all I saw was death.

For the second time in as many months, my light, my friend, Lilian Evenshire, was dead. And despite my most desperate desires, I knew in my heart that even if the Voice and Will were willing to return her to me, Lilian would never again walk in Turgos. Few people have received the miracle of resurrection. And none have been recorded as having received the miracle twice. Lilian Evenshire lay dead; she was Champion of Canaan, Heroine of Goldfire Glen, Baroness of Tyrond and dear friend. No gravestone would be sufficient to capture the person and deeds that were Lilian Evenshire, such selfless, patience and piety I had never before seen in one person. I openly wept.

Canaan forgive my impudence, but why wreak such agony? To return life to Lilian only to take it away again just as swiftly and without purpose is cruel. Can life truly be so insignificant?

It was silent for some time before anyone spoke. Talon’s sandal scraped against the rough stone floor as he adjusted his sitting position. “Lilian meant a lot to all of us.” He said as he got up, wiped a tear from his eye and walked away to sit apart from us, staring at the dark cavern wall.

"Why do you cry?" Rin, the Dark-Sider, questioned me.

It was incongruous, his tone and question against his physical appearance. Rin adjusted his stance slightly, with his cloven feet shoulder width apart and his tail swishing side to side. This caused his charred skin, not unlike volcanic rock, to ripple revealing a reddish glow between the dry charcoal skin-like slabs that seeped between its cracks like a recent lava floe. His horns, mere stubs of obsidian, protruded slightly from his forehead under which his brow was raised in genuine concern, which could be mistaken for malice if one focused too much on his yellow eyes that glowed like embers. It was laughable, but Rin had a childlike innocence about him. Perhaps it was the shock of all that had just happened, but I was beginning to feel that this half-demon who had lived a life of treachery and evil, could be redeemed.

"I am very sad. Lilian was a good friend." I responded with a patient smile.

“She died with honor and glory.” Rin responded.

What a profound thing coming from this creature! He must have noticed the open-mouthed expression of shock on my face.

“We have a saying among my people. ‘Death does not discriminate. It is neither good, nor evil. It is merely inevitable. The manner of death is all that matters. No greater honor exists than to die serving that which you hold most sacred.’” Rin placed a hand on my shoulder and walked past to examine the black pool.

Shallahai was there, gazing into its waters. He heard the hard clacking of Rin’s approach. “You know what evil lays in the depths of this pool.” It was a statement more than a question. By the cold emotionlessness of his tone, I was yet again reminded that the creature known as Shallahai was no longer human. He was a force of nature as mutable as the weather. “Are we safe here?” He accused the Warlock.

“From what lays in that pool, yes—unless you and your friends kill the other two High Priests of the Axis.” Rin responded with a smirk.

Shallahai nodded. The cavernous chamber was silent as we sat in near darkness, each lost in thought, dwelling on our own inner demons or contemplating what step to take next. A faint drip of water echoed off of one of the walls and faint torch light filtered in from above the hole in the ceiling at the top of the lift and at the doors to each of the three temples. My staff added what little light it could to the dreary cave; it was just enough to keep the darkness from overwhelming that place.

“What does that mean?” I interrupted brusquely.

At my tone, Rin’s head turned toward me quickly. I hadn’t meant for it to sound so harsh. “It is merely a rumor.”

“What?” I asked.

“It is said that If all three high priests are slain The Ebon Aspect will rise from this pool and exact vengeance on their slayers.” Rin responded.

I nodded.

Fer’inj stood arms akimbo looking toward the ceiling at the lift. "You need lift? I get lift for you." He announced in his thick Shuuthian accent. Closing his eyes and spreading his arms and fingers he morphed into the form of an eagle and flew to the top of the lift. After a few moments the lift started back down.

We loaded Lilian's corpse and the rest of us onto the lift and started raising it with the mechanism. "Perhaps Allustan will have some advice on what to do." I stated to nobody in particular on the way up.

Once again, I found myself relying on an arcanist. But in these circumstances, I desperately hoped there was something he could do. For I don't think I could bear it if Lilian Evenshire forever passed from my life.

"How can this be?" Allustan asked incredulously as he waved us into his foyer. "Lilian Evenshire has again passed from our reach." He continued, sad and perplexed as Talon carried her lifeless corpse and set it down on the flagstone. Austin, who had been standing in the foyer, hastened to assist Talon.

Allustan glanced at the newcomers. When he saw Rin, his face darkened.

"You!" Allustan said accusingly, pointing at Rin. "I know what you are. Your kind are not welcome in my tower." Allustan finished firmly, face flushed.

Austin, taken aback at his master’s sudden change in tone, glanced at the half-fiend and nearly dropped Lilian, eyes widening as the realization that a fiendish creature was on his doorstep.

“Be careful!” Talon warned.

"This is Rin, Allustan. He saved our lives. But for his intervention, more of us would have died today." I hurriedly explained in an effort to diffuse Allustan's anger. I felt the need to protect Rin from such discrimination. I suppose it was my idealism, my belief that even the most debauched individual could be redeemed. Sometimes when I reflected on this idealistic streak, I found it awkward against my experience in the church as a young priest. The Curia tolerated no slights against Canaan. No sin was too small to punish. So oppressive those days had felt. And what freedom it was to approach absolution with acceptance—a path of love and peace. It brought clarity to my life that lifted the haze of guilt the Curia instilled into me. Even now, when I go to Soliel the ghosts of my past life haunt me. Perhaps that’s why I felt so nearly paralyzed when last I saw Tagavarius. Hmph. And what simple poetry it was that the first thing he did was have me imprisoned.

Allustan opened his mouth to reply when we all heard a familiar voice for the second time in as many days echo in through the chamber.

Oh Bah, Allustan! Let it go. I need that one, too. Gather together in Allustan's foyer everyone. It is time to fulfill your oath. Come quickly. The sphincter will remain open for but a few seconds. Mind not what you see on the other side. Pay it no heed, lest you go mad.

That shrill voice, as piercing as a trumpet’s clarion call, was unmistakable. Balian had once again found us.

It startled me. I could see it had a similar effect on the others. Hu Li collapsed to the ground in a quivering heap. Shallahai started. Even Talon winced.

I recovered quickly. "Lilian has fallen, Master Balian. We must find a way to return her to us." I couldn’t see the withered old mage, but I knew something of magic. There were certain holy water fonts in Soliel that allowed priests to speak with other priests in other large cities across Turgos with some regularity. Wizards, I knew had access to some similar divinations. I shouted to the empty air hoping that where ever he was Balian could hear me.

Despite my protestations, I knew that Lilian would have wanted us to keep our oath to Balian. And whatever my own personal desires, I intended to do so. But Balian's timing was--well inconvenient was the nicest thing I could think of.

There is no time, Priest! Balian retorted peremptorily. It must be done now or never. And never is NOT an option.

What was it that was so damn time sensitive that it could not at least await the burial of a good friend and comrade? What was so damned pressing that I could not be allowed the time to mourn? Dammit, Balian.

Hu Li was once again fetal, rocking on the foyer's flagstone floor.

"I am ready, Master. Come and claim me. I shall wriggle through the Sphincter of Unnamed Torment and crawl through the Pulsing Tunnel of Amoebic Juices and make my way to you, my Master!" Hu Li cried, tears streaming down his face, as he rocked back and forth.

"Hu Li, enough!" Shallahai whispered harshly. "What are you talking about? Have you gone mad?"

Hu Li paused in his sycophantic praises long enough to meet Shallahai's gaze.

Shallahai added, “again.”

Hu Li's eyes were wet and wide with terror as he shook his head back and forth slowly. "You don’t know what he intends, the Master.”

“Tell me!” Shallahai whispered.

“No. No. No. No. No. No.” Hu Li was shaking his head back and forth, his hands covering his ears, eyes closed.

“What is it you know, Wizard!” Shallahai’s eyes blazed with fierce blackness.

Hu Li sensed the danger in Shallahai’s tone and stopped rocking. Bringing his hands down from his ears and opening his eyes, Hu Li craned his neck toward Shallahai and with lip quivering he explained.

“He will pull us through the veil that separates this world from the world beyond reality, a place of madness and terror. In that Far Realm space and time work differently. But a moment will pass here and in the blink of an eye we will arrive in Balian’s tower. But our perception will be much different. We will travel through a dimension few have ever gone to incarnate; it is a place of terror and madness. We will be lucky to survive the journey and if we do, it will not likely be with our minds intact!” Hu Li paused for effect.

I must admit that Hu Li’s words left a sour pit in my stomach. Even knowing the wizard’s penchant for embellishment, there was something about his tone—something deeply disturbed and sincere—that made me shudder. Even Shallahai seemed affected by Hu Li’s words, eyes wide as he stood up from his bent over position over Hu Li.

Hu Li continued crying and rocked back and forth more vigorously.

"Fascinating." Talon considered Hu Li's words.

This was ridiculous and I had no time for it. But Allustan proved more diplomatic than I.

"Balian, must it be by this method that they come to you? Wouldn't a teleportation circle be more appropriate under the circumstances? They have been through much already." Allustan was aghast.

No! Stop interfering, Allustan! And oh shut up, Hu Li! Take it like a man, instead of the drooling sycophantic pile of dung that you are! Balian's harsh retort reverberated up the foyer. Look, there is no time and they cannot have the taint of 'impure' arcanery on them when they arrive. It is imperative for the ritual that they be clean. It MUST be done this way.

"Ritual?" I asked.

Allustan's eyes widened in recognition. Fear crept into his mien. "Yes, Balian, what ritual?"

It is none of YOUR business, Allustan. Come now! The sphincter opens. It beckons you!

Just then, a fleshy glob of proto-matter appeared in the center of the foyer. Light effused from within it, rays penetrating the flickering light of Allustan's foyer. It was almost celestial in its brilliance, but its color was off, a bit like split pea soup. The proto-matter spun slowly, then more vigorously. I felt a tug from the bottom of my stomach, toward the spinning glob. I looked at the others. They clearly felt it, too.

Wide-eyed and white-faced, Allustan backed quickly away, reaching for a stunned Austin. Grapping his tunic, he pulled the boy to him as he opened the door to his hall, pushing Austin into the hall and backing in after. “May Canaan protect you, my friends.” The mage said, fear evident in his voice. He closed the door behind him and was gone.

Rin, who also appeared to be affected by the tugging sensation, took a step or two inside the foyer. The tower door slammed behind him. “This is just great.” He said.

Suddenly, Lilian's corpse lifted off of the floor and was sucked into the spinning sphincter, with a distinctively organic slurping noise.

Hu Li fainted.

Remove ads