TITANSGRAVE Launches!

Wil Wheaton's new RPG web show, Titansgrave, has launched. Based on Green Ronin's upcoming Fantasy AGE roleplaying game, it features Wil Wheaton as the GM running a group of celebrity players (Hank Green, Alison Haislip, Yuri Lowenthal, and Laura Bailey) through an adventure set in his own created setting, Titansgrave: Ashes of Valkana. The show will be running every Tuesday up until Gen Con (late July).

Wil Wheaton's new RPG web show, Titansgrave, has launched. Based on Green Ronin's upcoming Fantasy AGE roleplaying game, it features Wil Wheaton as the GM running a group of celebrity players (Hank Green, Alison Haislip, Yuri Lowenthal, and Laura Bailey) through an adventure set in his own created setting, Titansgrave: Ashes of Valkana. The show will be running every Tuesday up until Gen Con (late July).

Titansgrave-Episode0b.png

Watch Chapter 0 here, where Wil introduces the concept of a roleplaying game and describes the setting in a 20-minute video. "Join Wil Wheaton, Hank Green, Alison Haislip, Yuri Lowenthal, and Laura Bailey for an overview of the world of Valkana! Titansgrave: Chapter 0 is an introduction to the basics of role-playing games, the Fantasy AGE system, and the characters and lore that make up the world of Valkana. Whether you’re a seasoned RPG player or newcomer to tabletop games in general, don’t miss the prologue to Titansgrave: Ashes of Valkana!"

Chapter 1 has also been released. This one is a 40-minute video. "Join Aankia (Hank Green), Kiliel (Alison Haislip), Lemley (Laura Bailey), and S’Lethkk (Yuri Lowenthal) in the first installment of Titansgrave: Ashes of Valkana. Under the recommendation of Gurlock the Beer Baron, the party ventures off to Nestora, where they find themselves swept up in a festival of sorts called the Battle of the Boasts. Adventure, excitement, and free beer await our heroes, but the good times only last for so long…"

lyle.spade

Adventurer
For those who've watched either or both chapters, what did you think? I watched both last night and thought that Wil did a nice job of presenting the typical 'what's an RPG?' segment as well as the rules. I liked how dice rolls were handled in Chapter 1, making it clear to the audience what was going on.

I guess I expected a little more in terms of the story itself in Chapter 1, but perhaps because of the format and the inexperience of the players as RPers (or so I am assuming) that it was pretty GM-directed, or perhaps even railroady.

My guess, and hope, is that Wil coaches them into being able to do more narration themselves and direct the plot more over time. That said, I think Laura Bailey did a nice job running her character, and it was funny to watch Yuri get right to the procedural side of the plot when they arrived at the tavern by seeking out their contact right away.

camilaacolide

First Post
I also watched both last night. And I must say I am impressed by the post-prodution effects and voice modification effects, it's amazing and I only wished I had something like that in real-time during my adventures! Also, the players did a pretty good job of having fun and coming up with crazy ideas without having to ask for permission or assistance to the DM. They just assumed it was possible and rolled with it, making the game flow great (bubble explosive, hehehe!). Every single player in the world should watch this to learn a thing or two. And Laura Bailey was perfect, she's my new idol!

That said, Episode 1 was quite a letdown if I measure it against the hype that was built around it. It had a lackluster story and encounter, it was very very railroady with too much story and NPC focus. Quite honestly, if it was not for the post-production, I dare say it would be quite boring. But, I concede it was the first session, and they only had about 30 minutes of gameplay, so it has A LOT of potential moving forward, and I am already waiting for Episode 2 to see where all this is going.

Technically, the setting is amazing, and personally I love this mix between tech and magic. The world is recovering from calamity, and as such there is this feeling that every construction, object and place is like this bad-DIY held together with duct tape, that manages to get the world moving! And an evil entity is slowing being reborn! But the AGE system felt lackluster and a lot was handled with result tables and DM fiat, at least more than I am comfortable with. But, disclaimer: I hate 3D6 systems in general, so take that with a grain of salt and check it out.

Do watch Episode 0. It's only 20 minutes, and these fly by!
It's very worth it!

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
It would be great if GMs could do that voice alteration thing in real life. It worked really well for the show. I think it's fine that it's a bit railroady - it's a show, and a non-railroady game would involve us watching them do nothing a lot. It needs to be pushed along rapidly for the sake of the audience, and for the time slot. If I were doing something similar, I'd make that same choice.

They've done the impossible -made an RPG watchable! Tabletop was the first time I've ever been able to watch an RPG being played; this is the second. The activity doesn't lend itself to an audience; good production and professional actors/media people make a heck of a difference!

lyle.spade

Adventurer
Good points by Cam and Morrus. I think the limitations of the format - basically a TV show - require that there be some positive direction and guidance from the GM throughout each session, lest the team risk getting lost shopping for magic items (we've all had that dreadful session, haven't we?). My sense is that once those players get comfortable with the conceits of the world and their story in it they'll take more ownership and drive the plot more - that's what I'm hoping to see.

One thing I did not get much of at all from the two encounters (the boasting in the tavern and the short fight) was a sense of the world itself. Minus the art put up now and again and mention of some pieces of technology - the little robot, for example - if I had only heard that, and seen no images, I would have thought it was a default F20-style setting. I watched Thundarr when I was a kid and loved it, and I had no sense of that science/fantasy combo in the story or setting descriptions from last night. I hope to see more of that - more of it weaved into the story - in future episodes.

TarionzCousin

Second Most Angelic Devil Ever
They've done the impossible -made an RPG watchable! Tabletop was the first time I've ever been able to watch an RPG being played; this is the second. The activity doesn't lend itself to an audience; good production and professional actors/media people make a heck of a difference!
I agree; it's not a good activity for an audience.

But I like watching the WotC Acquisitions Incorporated shows. Those are made with an audience in mind: episodic, railroady, full of bawdy humor.

I really enjoyed the secrets each player came up with in episode zero--especially the one about the other player character's amulet. I might need to borrow this for my future games.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads