• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

To Class or not to Class...

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
But seems to me, if you can't find/mold/create/build a character concept you want when given up-to-a-dozen classes, then you're just not trying.

Welll...I wouldnt go quite that far. That depends on the particular concept and the classing/multiclassing strictures of the RPG in question. I know I have PCs that soar in 3.5Ed but won't fly at all in 4Ed...and vice versa.

GreyLord

Legend
You forgot the other choice. The hybrid. 3.X is a hybrid as is Warhammer Fantasy Roleplaying (well 1e and 2e). They are systems that can be played as a class system, or a system where classes are really just skill packages bundled together.

In the idea of simply skill packages I definately dislike a system like 3.X as it's typically not really that fun if you have a power gamer, munchkin, or other such individual set upon getting their fun at the expense of everyone else's enjoyment.

However, I really enjoy Warhammer RPG (1e or 2e) as that type of classed skill packaged system (where classes really aren't that significant other than getting some sort of skill or ability that you desire).

Other classless systems, while amusing, sometimes aren't my cup of tea to play all the time (Amber RPG for example...not quite my flavor).

On the otherhand, if using the hybrid gamesystems as Classed systems, rather than as skill packages that are called classes, I actually enjoy the 3.X system more than the Warhammer system in that light.

So it depends.

On the whole however, I'd say I like the Archtype Class systems best, where you have a class that you can tweak slightly...but it's the roleplaying that really is the difference (1e...now that's more my style).

Stacie GmrGrl

Adventurer
It depends on the feel of the game I am going for. I like rpgs of all kinds, class or no class. It just depends on my mood.

My favorite games include Earthdawn (which IMO does Class/Level better than any single game out there) and HARP (which treats Classes more like broad archetypes and it has levels but you get Development Points to spend on what you want to increase each level up) to Alternity (a points based Level game with very broad Professions) to Savage Worlds (classless) and Wild Talents (also classless and point based with a gritty feel) and Barbarians of Lemuria to D&D4e (class based as its best, IMO) and Pathfinder (D&D3.75??) and Mutants and Masterminds 3e (point based but does include "levels" in a way with its Power Level mechanic).

Point is...I like them all. :p

karlindel

First Post
Classed versus non-classed isn't much of a factor in game choice for me. In classless games, people still tend to silo towards certain archetypes, and many classless systems use archetypes to help people in building characters.

I do prefer the customizability of classless systems. However, that customizability comes with issues, such as the difficulty of balancing combats (or social challenges, for that matter) for unbalanced parties. Also, classless systems more often run into problems as options increase, as power combinations are selected by players that interact in unforeseen ways.

Mishihari Lord

First Post
I prefer classless. To get some of the benefits of class systems though, it's useful if there are a bunch of templates that you can use as starting points if you don't want to totally build a character from scratch.

The main challenge with classless is get things more or less balanced, so that PCs with the same number of build points or more or less equally effective. Assuming that you care about such thing (I don't)

Mishihari Lord

First Post
Also, I designed my own classless system so that I could finally have a truly balanced system. People who think classless systems are made for cherry picking have not dealt with a system designed to avoid such things (Long xp with 3e multi-classing quirks told me to be wary). Also not a big fan of levels either, but that is another subject... :)

Very curious here, what was your approach? (I'm looking for ideas to use with my system.)

For my homemade system I grouped skills, with a reduction in cost to improve skills if you had other skills in the group. Yes you can scatter your skills around, but you get more bang for your buck if you specialize. It seemed to work pretty well.

Smoss

First Post
[MENTION=128]Mishihari Lord[/MENTION],

My approach began conceptually - No classes, no levels - how do you balance combat in magic/warrior/etc. It basically came down to making it equally easy to kill someone with any method - improving your character makes it more efficient/faster/easier. You might get some ideas at my website - I put up a little information on my system there (I think it is all up to date)

RPG System - Doulairen

Smoss

kitsune9

Adventurer
I think both are good. I enjoy playing Pathfinder because of the classes and the options to customize them; however, I really enjoy GURPS and Herosystem because they are toolkits in which you can design your character from scratch.

Remove ads