D&D 5E To much 5th edition content?

Blue

Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal
Personally, I've been quite happy with the release rate. But the key word there is personally. We've had Adventure Paths for my friends who like running modules, but they aren't on my purchase list. We've had world-building products, of which I've bought what I liked and avoided the rest. I include Acquisitions Inc. in that list. We've had two additional creature book, which I picked up, one expanded player and DM options book and I got it. If we want more options we've got a lot of talented people putting things on DMsGuild, and I've purchased from there - though more DMs material because I can choose to use it, vs. player material I'd need to convince a DM to allow.

My cost per year, for the number of hours of enjoyment I get out of the hobby, is very good.

Last edited:

jasper

Rotten DM
Can you explain this? I'm not acknowledged in deep of AL
Adventure League has the Player's handbook +1 rule so PHB,
Player’s Handbook +1. You can choose to create your pc from an extra book and player’s handbook.
You can choose a monster race from Volo’s. This counts as your +1. The monsters are Aasimar, Firbolg, Goliath, Kenku, Lizardfolk, Tabaxi, Triton, Goblin, Bugbears, Hobgoblins, Orcs, Kobolds, Yuan-ti.
From Mordenkainen’s Tome of Foes which a +1. You choose the following: Page 61 Eladrin Elf subrace. Page 62 Sea Elf subrace. Page 81 Duergar dwarf subrace. Page 96 Githyanki or Githzerai race. Page 113 Deep Gnome.
Your alignment can’t be evil unless it Lawful Evil and you are a (Lord’s Alliance or Zhentarim) as a Faction Agent with Safe Haven background from Sword Coast. Each season they tweak the advancement\gold rules. Currently the rule of thumb is one official module 1 level of advancement but you don't have to advance.
You only need access to the rules/books and not own them.
Eberron is AL league but a different universe. No Eberron PC in normal AL games. The other campaign books have not gotten their own universe.

jasper

Rotten DM
I have bought more D&D books for 5e than any edition (I started back with 1e & BECMI). I've really enjoyed it and I just picked up MOoT. However, I think I am about done. There is already way more content than my group can get through and I just don't know that I want anything more. To clarify, I am not burned out or anything like that. We still have stories to tell and will keep playing 5e for many, many moons. However, I just don't see my buying much more 5e stuff. I have more content than I need. Is anyone else in the same boat?
I too have bought and now downloaded too much official stuff. I would have to start DM 4 times a week (and get players to play that often), to catch up in maybe a year.
WHIMPER WHINE WHIMPER WHINE I have not even used all the monsters in the 1e MM. (In a Charlie Brown voice.)

I'm no way an expert of marketing. I'm very far from knowing how the game industry works in terms of optimum release rate and strategies. So I only can talk as a customer. And I'll try with my approximative english to express what I believe in statements because I'm very far from having a coherent and structured vision about the whole problem.
1. If I want to sell a game (you must read edition, in case of an RPG) I can build up a good game and put it on the market. If it is well received I'll make money until the market will be filled. Then I can reissue it for new players and stabilize my output to the demand (this is far from easy and many companies fail in that producing too much copies).
2. sure I can produce accessories for that game (you must read adventures path, campaign settings in case of RPG) trying to sell more products and consolidate my ecosystem and/or fidelize my customers
3. If I want to sell another game (edition for RPG), I must be sure not to overlap with the previous (in case of RPG editions this is impossible) if I don't want to split my customer base and earn the same amount of money with two products instead of only one. This would be a suicide in terms of cost efficiency.

Said that, from my personal point of view, I've been playing all editions starting from BECMI/Rules Cyclopedia. I had accepted to move to AD&D2Ed because it were more pro in my vision. More options, more situations coded by rules, more class/race combinations etc etc. Obviously it were to much fragmented, to much dispersed in tons of material and I was a young guy, no internet no pdf and definitely no money to buy everything (consider also that the everything I was considering was Italian Language everything so a sub sub sub set of all the published material).
SO
I had accepted to move to 3rd edition hoping that it will be a fresh re-start and finally give me the possibility to follow the game from scratch, maintain me updated and evaluate all the materials as soon as it were published. I enjoyed 3rd very much but year by year it was difficult to stay updated and here again the same fragmentation of rules, the same enormous quantity of options and c'mon enough is enough. I buy every single product published for forgotten realms in 3rd edition and i remember that i was jumping straight to lore and that lore was the only thing that kept me from quit buying products.
BUT When WoTC released 3.5ed I fill myself joked. C'mon, are you trying to steal my money? Ok I can accept one edition totally uncompatible with the previous after many years but I have bought a game. Feel like my new car was perfectly functional, almost new but they suddenly changed the type of fuel in stations and only for marketing purposes assuming that I'm a cow to suck. They didn't love the game they sell. This was my mood, justified or not.
With this first false step in my relationship with WoTC, I was never impressed to see the coming of 4ed and I jump it with satisfaction. You will not have me!
Now I'm an happy customer of 5ed products. I buy them all cause in first instance now I can from the financial point of view, but more deep because I like the way they respect the game and the gamer stopping issuing crunch without sense. I like Adventure books with a lot of lore inside that are valuable even if you don't actually play the adventures. I like the effort to renew the campaign settings but maintaining FR traditional and not destroying it as per 4ed.
My two cents is that if WoTC respect the game saying "this is the game, 5ed, like it or not" and put the effort in producing quality lore/adventure material I can say that I can forgive all the false step made before.
In conclusion, now is time to produce wonderful adventure path. 1 at year but very good. Hire the best writers, ask to create plot to big names of fantasy like Sanderson or Sapkowski or Martin. Invest in quality with 1 adventure path at year that would be beatiful even only to read. I'm dreaming?

Hatmatter

Laws of Mordenkainen, Elminster, & Fistandantilus
In conclusion, now is time to produce wonderful adventure path. 1 at year but very good. Hire the best writers, ask to create plot to big names of fantasy like Sanderson or Sapkowski or Martin. Invest in quality with 1 adventure path at year that would be beatiful even only to read. I'm dreaming?
Your English is fine, Stefano, thank you for your contribution! This above quote is something like I said in the "Last Edition of D&D" thread. There are so many wonderful directions in which D&D could be directed. I hope that the development of stories, worlds, and unexpected and surprising dimensions of the fun of collaborative make-believe is what we see in the future, and not an emphasis on a new edition. I think getting even more talented literary figures and artists involved in the development of our hobby would be wonderful.

Oofta

Legend
Not saying that hiring authors of novels to author mods would be bad or impossible, but I think they are different talents.

I remember an interview with an author long ago about whether they played or DMed any more (it was obvious from their novels that they used to play). Their response was that couldn't DM any more because the players never did what they wanted.

I can see a mod being the same way. Hard to say if an author would be any good at writing open-ended stories and scenarios without knowing how the blanks are going to be filled in.

Not saying that hiring authors of novels to author mods would be bad or impossible, but I think they are different talents.

I remember an interview with an author long ago about whether they played or DMed any more (it was obvious from their novels that they used to play). Their response was that couldn't DM any more because the players never did what they wanted.

I can see a mod being the same way. Hard to say if an author would be any good at writing open-ended stories and scenarios without knowing how the blanks are going to be filled in.

Yes, I believe that are different talents. But the author could be flanked by game designer and adventures writer to find a new way. Experiment a new sort of strategy in adventure bulding. I see it as a sinergy between an artist and a technician. Who can say what can come out? Surely WoTC has the financial strenght to make an experiment. Remember Ravenloft? There are some past experiences that can give them the courage to try.

jayoungr

Legend
Supporter
In conclusion, now is time to produce wonderful adventure path.
I'm sure that is what they're trying to do!

Hire the best writers, ask to create plot to big names of fantasy like Sanderson or Sapkowski or Martin.
Personally, I wouldn't trust a novelist to create an adventure that works at the table. The skills needed to write an excellent tabletop adventure are different from those needed to write an excellent novel. Instead, I would look to the authors of classic modules of previous editions, or even videogame creators. Odyssey of the Dragonlords is an example of a campaign written by videogame authors.

The Big BZ

Explorer
I have bought more D&D books for 5e than any edition (I started back with 1e & BECMI). I've really enjoyed it and I just picked up MOoT. However, I think I am about done. There is already way more content than my group can get through and I just don't know that I want anything more. To clarify, I am not burned out or anything like that. We still have stories to tell and will keep playing 5e for many, many moons. However, I just don't see my buying much more 5e stuff. I have more content than I need. Is anyone else in the same boat?
We are the complete opposite! We have played every hardback AP, the Starter set, Essentials, lots of the AL stuff and loads Guild Adept and 3rd party stuff and have completely run out of content! Having to convert Night Below at the moment while we wait for September. There's no shortage of releases at the moment if you want setting source books etc but we are severely lacking adventure material! (Few levels in the back of Wildemount and Theros etc but I mean APs)

Last edited:

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Upcoming Releases