• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Tonight is Threshold

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Tarrasque Wrangler said:
I missed the first 10 minutes or so. I thought it was so-so. Later when I explained the show to my girlfriend and gave her broad strokes of the ideas it brought up, she thought it sounded much cooler than I was left feeling. Maybe I'm wrong, although she didn't have to sit through all the cliched dialogue. Bad dialogue bothers me much more than bad science.

Did it seem to anyone else like some geek-friendly writer's stab at Delta Green: The Series? Or maybe even X-Com: The Series?

Well, that same concept isn't that new. War of the Worlds (the TV Show) did the same, UFO, the one with puppets was kinda the similar premise. (Same government agency fights off hidden alien invasion). So it might not so be a copy of those thing, as previous TV shows (and in fact X-com was strongly inspired by that puppet show)

I just found the aliens to be very uninteresting. Pure technobabble almost. Fractals, 4th and 5th dimensions (I thought the 4th dimension was time?). Also it seemed like they solved the basic problem of what the aliens were immediately, so there doesn't seem to be much mystery.

trancejeremy

Adventurer
Heh, I actually misheard it, and thought it was the Australians, not North Koreans. Which makes even less sense. (Now, if it were off the coast of Japan, then the North Koreans would make sense, but not the US)

Mad Hatter

First Post
I'm of the view that they may have figured it out quick but they still have the solving the problem mountain to climb. That might be far more interesting. Because we don't want a "Lost" clone. They still haven't figured anything out except maybe Locke, but Locke is special :D.

mmu1

First Post
trancejeremy said:
Heh, I actually misheard it, and thought it was the Australians, not North Koreans. Which makes even less sense. (Now, if it were off the coast of Japan, then the North Koreans would make sense, but not the US)

They wouldn't make sense off the coast of Japan either - the Japanese navy is both larger than most people would think, and also one of the most modern.

Even ignoring that, the US Navy is basically an uncontested force anywhere in the world, ever since the Russians dropped out of the game - it's possible there are places it wouldn't be able to get to in time, but a hot spot like North Korea is not one of them...

EricNoah

Adventurer
I found it intriguing enough that I'll be back for a second look. A show takes time to settle in, it takes time for the right dialogue to start coming out of characters' mouths. I liked or was interested in 4 of the 5 main characters (the military guy did nothing for me, but the others worked for me right away). And it's been a long time since the X-Files ... I could always hope for something that good to develop over time.

Ranger REG

Explorer
EricNoah said:
I found it intriguing enough that I'll be back for a second look. A show takes time to settle in, it takes time for the right dialogue to start coming out of characters' mouths. I liked or was interested in 4 of the 5 main characters (the military guy did nothing for me, but the others worked for me right away). And it's been a long time since the X-Files ... I could always hope for something that good to develop over time.
More power to you, but I have seen Braga's work with the Star Trek franchise. And if Blade III: Trinity is any indication of Goyer's attempt at sequel, I wouldn't invest my feeling of hope. Then it's better to have a mantra such as, "Well, the next episode couldn't be worse than the this one."

Last edited:

Crothian

First Post
Mad Hatter said:
I'm of the view that they may have figured it out quick

They have it away in the previews to the audience so they had to figue it out fast in show. The suspense of the characters not knowing is killed when the audience knows what is going on.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Truth Seeker said:
Any show that he has his hand in now, not watching.

Well, have fun with that. Unless you're a Neilsen person, your boycott is pretty much meaningless, except to yourself. Me, I dont care who the producer is. I care if it's interesting and entertaining. A good show from a person who had a bad record is still a good show.

I watched the pilot, and it earned the right to another couple of episodes.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
trancejeremy said:
I just found the aliens to be very uninteresting. Pure technobabble almost. Fractals, 4th and 5th dimensions (I thought the 4th dimension was time?).

Time is a fourth dimension, not the fourth dimension. The dimensions are not ordered, with one coming first, another second, and so on. And there's nothing at all wrong with positing four or more spacial dimensions. Heck, some modern physcis models use up to 12 dimensions. So it isn't just technobabble.

And what they depicted seemed pretty consistent with a highly symmetric four (or higher) dimensional object rotating, and seen from a viewer who can only see three of the dimensions.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads