• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Too Many Books. . .?

Felon

First Post
wingsandsword said:
I'm a Forgotten Realms fan, but I had to give up on getting all the new region books quite a while back, I just couldn't afford to keep up with buying all those new books, on top of other gaming books (core D&D and other systems). I stopped buying every new book about two years ago, instead buying books that I thought I'd like, or could really use. Now, it just feels like WotC is drowning us with so many books we can't keep up. Even if I had more money, I wouldn't have more time to keep reading and keep up to date on what is in so many new books. Is it really a return to the later days of 2e, with too many books coming out?

Nossir, it is not. You have what you need in the PHB and DMG. All the rest is gravy.

That purchase model you have where you just buy the books you thought you'd like, or could really use? That sounds like a winner.

OK, that's pretty much the bottom line. End of thread. :cool:

Aust Diamondew

First Post
Too many books for me to even be interested in buying 10% of even the WoTC ones. But thats because a lot of the material in most books is worthless to me.

Staffan

Legend
3catcircus said:
Even lugging along a laptop can be a pain since you have to wait for each file to open (and scanned pdfs eat up a lot of memory). And since your laptop is borrowed, it might not always be available.
I have them on a CD, and two of the other players in my group have laptops. So it will usually be available.

An *easier* way than this (as a player) is to (except for the 3 core books) type the relevant information and print it or scan the relevant pages and print them.
Thing is that in all the RPG circles I've ever moved in, it has been the responsibility of the DM to buy and bring whatever books he wants used in a game. I'm lucky if the other players bring a PHB.

wedgeski

Adventurer
TSR fractured the market with settings, not books per se.

Although I only buy about 25-30% of WotC's releases, I don't think they're releasing 'too many'. The quality is generally good to very good, the production is excellent, and it keeps the hobby ticking over. I would rather WotC was producing too many than too few.

Hussar

Legend
Ron said:
There is a potential problem with WotC releasing as many new rules books as they can but I am in no condition to evaluate if it is real as I quit buying new rules books with 3.5. If the new books allow characters more powerful than core and earlier supplements then it will cause many people to buy the new books only to keep competitive in a sort of arms race. A few people complained about this to me in relation to the complete series and some other new books, but I never checked it.

This is one of the main problems of old Magic expansions. Notice that the last time I brought a Magic was sometime in 1994, so I have no idea with the keep with this practice. As Magic is a much more competitive game, this was probably a great idea to boost the sales, even if they lost some clients, including myself.

Yet, looking down the forums here, we see thread after thread about how the Complete Books classes are weaker than core. Tome of Magic was heavily panned for the same reason.

Just because some companies got into the arms race, why is the assumption that all of them do?

While I haven't played Magic in years, weren't some of the most badly broken cards in the original few sets? Something to ponder.

philreed

Adventurer
Supporter
I've quit writing new d20 fantasy supplements so I'm doing my part to keep the number of available products from climbing.

GQuail

Explorer
Hussar said:
Yet, looking down the forums here, we see thread after thread about how the Complete Books classes are weaker than core. Tome of Magic was heavily panned for the same reason.

Just because some companies got into the arms race, why is the assumption that all of them do?

Of course, just as there are weak supplements, there are plenty of other supplements hwich have added prestige classes, feats, spells etc which, if not "broken" are at least "very good". I'll agree that casting them aside out-of-hand as "Baaaaaaaaaaroken!" is a bit unfair.

Part of the problem, IMHO, comes from the fact that the 11 base classes are not created equal. If you sit down to create your new class, what do you base it on, power-wise? Should it be equal to a sorcerer, a fighter, a cleric, a druid? Is your spell in the same power bracket as Burning Hands, or Tenser's Floating Disk, or Magic Missile, or Sleep? Some people would argue that one is notably better than the other, so if you balance all new material as being equal to one base class, feat, spell, etc, then those below it are going to become worse and worse with every iteration. Being the worst of 11 base classes isn't so bad: being the worst of around 30 is a bit more of a pest. ;-)

Since we've got a Magic example going on already: I understand that some sets (like Fallen Empires) rounded down the power of cards when in doubt, whereas others (like Alliances) rounded up: the end result being that some sets were all but ignored by players in tournaments, but others were big hits. When you don't stick to the same consistent rules as you add to your game's depth of options, some options are going to shine out as "better".

This is, of course, a no-win situation: supplements with too weak rules won't sell, supplements with too powerful rules will be branded "power-gaming". An RPG which has no supplements is basically dead: ergo, striking the right power balance on a supplement remains a difficult process.

Hussar said:
While I haven't played Magic in years, weren't some of the most badly broken cards in the original few sets? Something to ponder.

OT: This is a very valid point. Certianly, the "power nine" of Magic, the cards which are seen as the best ever, are all from the first set: and very few cards from newer sets get full-on banned, compare dto a ratehr sizeable list of older cards.

I once read a Magic article which basically implied that the first set of Magic included purposefully "better" and "worse" cards in an attempt to teach players what made a card cost-effective or powerful: and that after that learning curve, later sets went for a more "ordered" power curve. Once you've seen different cards do drastically different things for one red mana, you learn what one red mana is worth, or so the theory goes.

I suspect this is perhaps sprinkled with a dose of revisionist history: it seems a lot more likely that the "best" cards were knowingly better, but it was assumed their rarity would counterbalance this and players would be unable to get a hold of that many of them. Of course, the designers of Magic had no idea how successful it was going to be (Wasn't 6 months worth of the first set of cards sold in 6 weeks?) and when the game suddenly becomes a global phenomenon, with a secondary market thriving off sets of all ages, those cards are no longer rarities you'd never hear off till you saw in play: they're uber-powerful geek weaponary, dissecter online for their combo potential. and people can basically "buy the best deck". These days, Magic designers knowthat cards they design have to be not only for casual play but are part of a professional tournament scene, and thusly can't afford to include any "crazy" cards.

JoeGKushner

First Post
wingsandsword said:
One of the big admitted problems with TSR's later days was they fragmented the market by producing too many product lines, too many books. So many books coming out at once that nobody could keep up with all of it, and it was all spread throughout so many product lines.

This wasn't quite the problem. Not too many books, but as your first statement, product lines in terms of campaign settings. 2nd ed had a shot at Mystara/Known World, and Dark Sun, Planescape, Birthright, Forgotten Realms, Greyhawk, Al-Qadim, few event style books like Hordelands and Maztica (novel tie ins for the most part), few meta settings like the various Paladins of Charlamagne, Vikings, Roman Empire, Spelljammer, and others (like the island trilogy of necromancer vs barbarian.)

Now they stick with two settings and a lot of 'generic' material. More importantly, they've started moving back into adventurers because I think somewhere along the lines they realize that people simply can't afford to keep up with $100 of 'official' books a month.

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
GQuail said:
I once read a Magic article which basically implied that the first set of Magic included purposefully "better" and "worse" cards in an attempt to teach players what made a card cost-effective or powerful: and that after that learning curve, later sets went for a more "ordered" power curve. Once you've seen different cards do drastically different things for one red mana, you learn what one red mana is worth, or so the theory goes.

Are you talking about this article?
http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=mtgcom/daily/mr5

If so, you're misremembering it.

Mind you, it seems that some early cards were created to be "sucker" cards.

See here: http://www.allenvarney.com/av_mgcwords.html
Tablet of Epityr: This is a sucker card, intended to look good to novices. Epityr is an anagram of "pyrite" -- fool's gold. In Dominia, Epityr is either a college of mages or a city containing such a college. - This is from the 3rd Magic set, Antiquities

I suspect this is perhaps sprinkled with a dose of revisionist history: it seems a lot more likely that the "best" cards were knowingly better, but it was assumed their rarity would counterbalance this and players would be unable to get a hold of that many of them. Of course, the designers of Magic had no idea how successful it was going to be

It was originally expected that no-one would buy more than a starter or two of Magic, thus the problem with cards like Moxes and the like. (This has been explicitly stated by the Magic designers many times in the past).

Cheers!

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads