D&D 5E Toxicity in the Fandom

beancounter

(I/Me/Mine)
I've seen toxicity on a number of forums. The one I encounter most often is the "holier than thou" attitude. It exists in forums where there are subgroups with (usually small) competing nuances to their "ideologies". Instead of combining their efforts to promote the topic in question, they spend their time arguing over minutia.

My personal example would be animal rights vegans vs. health vegans.

Last edited:

Zardnaar

Legend
I've seen toxicity on a number of forums. The one I encounter most often is the "holier than thou" attitude. It exists in forums where there are subgroups with (usually small) competing nuances to their "ideologies". Instead of combining their efforts too promote the topic in question, they spend their time arguing over minutia.

My person example would be animal rights vegans vs. health vegans.

Are we allowed to say mean things about vegans?

James Gasik

We don't talk about Pun-Pun
Supporter
Are we allowed to say mean things about vegans?
Only the ones that are pretentious about it. If you know someone who just happens to be vegan, and doesn't proselytize about it, that's cool. Or maybe if they preach a little, smile and nod.

But if you know people who proclaim "oh, we're vegans!" in a superior tone? Run, don't walk, far, far away.

Zardnaar

Legend
Only the ones that are pretentious about it. If you know someone who just happens to be vegan, and doesn't proselytize about it, that's cool. Or maybe if they preach a little, smile and nod.

But if you know people who proclaim "oh, we're vegans!" in a superior tone? Run, don't walk, far, far away.

How about the ones that drive a Tesla and also have an iphone?

How about the ones that drive a Tesla and also have an iphone?
Are we talking about vegans or the 1% because "drives a Tesla" tends to be the latter.

< Braces for a lot of "IN THEORY you could own a Model 3 on X salary!" - yeah, in theory, that's just not, by and large, the people who actually own them, given the waiting lists (meaning no-one who doesn't already have access to a car can have one), the requirement for a garage for them to survive the winter outside parts of the West/West Coast, and the need for a "winter car" on top of that, meaning a two-car garage! And I'm majorly pro electric car, they just really need to fully sort their ability to survive/operate in US winters >

Remove ads