D&D 5E Tracy & Laura Hickman Announce Skyraiders of Abarax

Tracy and Laura Hickman, known for the Dragonlance setting and the original Ravenloft module, have announced a D&D 5E setting called Skyraiders of Abarax. It will be coming to Kickstarter this fall. There's not much more information yet, other than a mailing list for updates and a single (stunning) art piece.

Their Facebook page actually says "AD&D 5E", rather than "D&D 5E", although I'm not sure whether that's significant.

"Tracy & Laura Hickman's first adventure world since Dragonlance ... coming to AD&D 5E through Kickstarter this fall! Join us in the creation of Sky-high Fantasy discovered through magical books brought to life our unique 'Living Tome System'."

sky.jpg

There's also a couple of other art pieces floating about on social media.

1.jpeg
2.jpeg
3.jpeg
4.jpeg

Last edited:

Khelon Testudo

Cleric of Stronmaus
Lovely looking project! But for the life of me, I'm not parsing this sentence:

"On dragon’s sylph to find our lost way back
To that mythic place called home."

Probably just a brain hiccup, but I can't figure out what "on dragon's sylph" means here.
I'm thinking Dragon Sylph is the name of a flying ship
Not only that, but "lost" feels redundant. If the way back wasn't lost, they wouldn't need to find it, right?
The wording is odd because it's part of a poem, which you can see by checking out the other images.

This is effectively a teaser trailer, more to whet the appetite than give a clear explanation.

I see airborne skyships and I think Lin Carter's Callisto books. Very derivative of Burroughs Barsoom books but a fun read in the 1970s when I was way younger than I am now. They included sky ships used by the "Sky Pirates" which included pressed paper (!) hollow hulls and hydrogen (? or helium) gas, wings and masts iirc. I suspect I'd be horrified if I re-read them now :D

OakenHart

Adventurer
Gorgeous artwork and they most certainly have the cred, but not enough detail yet to really be excited. Look forward to when the kickstarter goes up and they put out more information.

Hopefully that font choice on those social media images are not used extensively on any final product, it really detracts from everything else.

Dire Bare

Legend
Great, but....

bfd811fea23983d874ce9323b9e08d14.jpg

Bruce Heard pioneered the flying ship in D&D thing some time ago (with furries!).

I guess you could combine them.
Well . . . . sure, skyships aren't new to fantasy or new to D&D. But the ad-copy for Skyraiders isn't claiming that. It's just one element of the setting, a central one. Basically, if you like skyships, you'll like Skyraiders of Abarax! Bruce Heard didn't invent skyships either.

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases