Trailblazer Teasers (collected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Any chance we could get more class previews? Please?

Yes indeed! I just started a week's vacation today, so it should be a very Trailblazery week (although lots of that Trailblazer activity you won't see until it's in your hands!)

Last week I was pretty occupied wrapping up some "day job" responsibilities to prepare for taking this week off.

And I got bitten by a brown recluse*... which experience I cannot generally recommend. However, as it means this week I won't have the usual husband duties of going to the beach or walking aimlessly around this quaint little town, my loss is your gain.

[sblock](On the other hand, I just found myself writing the following:

Unfortunately, as cookies go, “Trap Sense” is really more of a “Fig Newton” —no offense to the Fig Newton, but it ain’t an Oreo or a Chips Ahoy.

... so you might not be getting me at my most cogent.[/sblock]

* That's what the doctor says-- I believe it's a misdiagnosis. This bite is nasty (about 4 inch diameter of angry necrosis) but it's not brown recluse nasty. I'm betting on "any old spider" but praying for "radioactive and laden with superhuman abilities."

Last edited:

Sunsword

Adventurer
Enjoy your vacation. Misdiagnosis or not, I'm sending positive thoughts your way. Looking forward to updates and the finished product.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
BARBARIAN
Alignment: Any nonlawful.
Hit Die: d12.

Class Skills
The barbarian’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Climb (Str), Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Intimidate (Cha), Jump (Str), Perception (Wis), Ride (Dex), Survival (Wis), and Swim (Str).

Skill Points Per Level:4 + Int modifier.

Class Features
Weapon and Armor Proficiency: A barbarian is proficient with all simple and martial weapons, light armor, medium armor, and shields (except tower shields).

Fast Movement (snip)

Rage (snip—the barbarian gains his choice of “vanilla” rage or the “whirling frenzy” variant from UA)

Uncanny Dodge (snip)

Bonus feat: Beginning at 3rd level, and every three levels thereafter, a barbarian gains a bonus feat chosen from among the following: Blind-fight, Cleave, Diehard, Endurance, Great Fortitude, Improved Bull Rush, Improved Overrun, Improved Sunder, Iron Will, Lightning Reflexes, Power Attack, Run, Toughness. A barbarian must still meet all prerequisites for a bonus feat, including ability score and base attack bonus minimums.

[sblock] The barbarian is one of the best balanced classes in the core game—a “cookie” at every level. Unfortunately, as cookies go, “Trap Sense” is really more of a “Fig Newton” —no offense to the Fig Newton, but it ain’t an Oreo or a Chips Ahoy.

More to the point, the barbarian lagged behind the power of most other classes, and needed more. His bonus feats are designed to emphasize the barbarian’s key role as “Resilient Striker.” His bonus feat selection allows him to stay on an even footing with the fighter, which now permits the player to use his normal allotment of level-based feats to differentiate his character from other PCs.[/sblock]

Trap Sense (Ex): Starting at 3rd level, a barbarian gains a +1 bonus on Reflex saves made to avoid traps and a +1 dodge bonus to AC against attacks made by traps. Trap Sense also allows the barbarian to make Passive Perception checks when within 10' of a trap and gains a +1 bonus on those checks. These bonuses rise by +1 every three barbarian levels thereafter (6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and 18th level). Trap sense bonuses gained from multiple classes stack.

Damage Reduction (Ex): At 4th level, a barbarian gains Damage Reduction. Subtract 1 from the damage the barbarian takes each time he is dealt damage from a weapon or a natural attack. This damage reduction increases every three barbarian levels thereafter (7th, 10th, 13th, 16th, and 19th level). Damage reduction can reduce damage to 0 but not below 0.

[sblock]Note that we’ve moved around the barbarian’s DR—moving it forward to 4th level, and then doubling its prior effectiveness.[/sblock]

Improved Uncanny Dodge (snip)

Greater Rage (snip)

Indomitable Will (snip)

Tireless Rage (snip)

Mighty Rage (snip)

Code:
Level	BAB	BMB	Class Features
1	+1	+0	Fast movement, illiteracy, rage 1/rest
2	+2	+0	Uncanny Dodge
3	+3	+1	Bonus feat, trap sense +1
4	+4	+1	Damage reduction 1/-, rage 2/rest
5	+5	+1	Improved uncanny dodge
6	+6	+2	Bonus feat, trap sense +2
7	+7	+2	Damage reduction 2/-
8	+8	+2	Rage 3/rest
9	+9	+3	Bonus feat, trap sense +3
10	+10	+3	Damage reduction 4/-
11	+11	+3	Greater rage
12	+12	+4	Bonus feat, rage 4/rest, trap sense +4
13	+13	+4	Damage reduction 6/-
14	+14	+4	Indomitable will
15	+15	+5	Bonus feat, trap sense +5
16	+16	+5	Damage reduction 8/-, rage 5/rest
17	+17	+5	Tireless rage
18	+18	+6	Bonus feat, trap sense +6
19	+19	+6	Damage reduction 10/-
20	+20	+6	Mighty rage, rage 6/rest

joela

First Post
there u is!

Yes indeed! I just started a week's vacation today, so it should be a very Trailblazery week (although lots of that Trailblazer activity you won't see until it's in your hands!)

Enjoy! We're hitting the trail next week down at Comic-Con.

And I got bitten by a brown recluse*... which experience I cannot generally recommend. However, as it means this week I won't have the usual husband duties of going to the beach or walking aimlessly around this quaint little town, my loss is your gain.

Ouch! Sorry to hear that. Healing vibes sent your way in the form of Angelina Jolie :eek:

Sunsword

Adventurer
I ran my first Trailblazer Game last night.

Made several 5th Level Characters:

Human Fighter

Dwarf Fighter

Human Fighter 2/ Wizard 3

Human Bard

Human Cleric of St. Cuthbert

Human Rogue

Human Sorcerer

Our group has been playing 4E for well over a year now. I like 4E, but was surprised that things I felt weren't "sacred cows" last year, after playing I began to miss immensely.

Traiblazer went over great. I've built it on top of 3.5, since Pathfinder is releasing in a few weeks, I figured it was silly to use the Beta. The Combat Reactions went over really well. I gave every character 8 Action Points per session & allow them to use them to reroll any roll & take the better of the 2, +1D8 to Damage or let them "try something cool". I've also imported the idea of Rituals & have allowed spellcasters to use Action Points to let the Rituals move the story along. And during combat 1 AP will restore a Spell Slot thats been used.

I realize some of this may be over the top, but I found that everyone was having fun & being challenged. I used the Complete Divine's version of Turning, which worked well since they were dealing with dozens of "fast zombies" in several fights.

Thanks for helping us have a good time Wulf! Get some rest & feel better.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
1) Re-rolling a d20 takes the average up to 13.83.

2) Using an AP during combat to restore a Spell Slot-- that's good. It's in line with using an AP to get another use out of other "per rest" abilities.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
There's a lot of customization allowable but more importantly, my issue with skill points has always been the unbounded nature that quickly results in a skill contest that the whole party can't take part in.

At level 1, I can design a contest that challenges everyone and take part but once I hit level 8 or 9, there's no such contest possible...especially if the PCs didn't take ANY skill ranks in said skill.

This is a valid point.

Trailblazer addresses this in a few ways.

First, it uses the PF-beta method of skill allocation: No cross-class skill penalty. 1 rank is 1 rank; +3 bonus for the first rank you put into a class skill.

This means that the distance between class and cross-class skill purchases-- assuming two characters both equally intent on keeping the skill trained-- is 3 points.

Second, all classes get at least 4 skill points per level.

Third, skill list consolidation. There are 26 skills in Trailblazer (counting Speak Language).

I think that every PC who wants to be "reasonably competent" at a wide variety of skills can do so by 5th level or so.

It is incumbent on the DM to ensure consistency of "reasonably competent." With the exception of opposed skill checks, almost all DCs should fall in the DC10 to DC20 range, with really tough stuff starting at DC25, and crazy superheroic stuff at DC35.

But just as an example, the DC to find a secret door or disable a lock should not increase simply because the PCs are higher level. A DC30 lock is a really good lock.

Finally, the way that Trailblazer recommends setting up Skill Challenges throws a bit of the "skill" back onto the player. There's not a set list of skills and DCs that are "allowed" on any particular challenge. Rather, the task falls to the player to find a skill his PC is good at and then make his case to the DM as to how his skill can be of use to the party in overcoming the challenge.

The four ranks you put into Weaponsmithing may be every bit as useful as Spellcraft or Knowledge: arcana if the party is trying to identify a magic sword (Does it use any special materials? Processes? Is there a maker's mark? Is it reminiscent of a particular culture? etc.).

Some skills are easier than others to justify-- Perception is always a useful catch-all. But it is very easy to keep all the players engaged in a skill challenge when you task them with the job of trying to creatively justify a skill use. I very rarely found myself saying NO to a creative suggestion.

"I used to juggle swords when I was busking on the street corner, and I was constantly on the lookout for weird looking swords in antique shops to add to my show. Any chance I ever saw something like this? Perform check?"

It's important to think of the skill challenge primarily as a way to encourage creativity and roleplaying, as opposed to an obstacle that you need to put in the PCs way.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
PALADIN
Alignment: A paladin must adhere to one of the four diametrically opposed alignments: Lawful good, chaotic good, lawful evil, or chaotic evil. Evil paladins are typically known as anti-paladins, but their class features are much the same.

Hit Die: d10.

Class Skills
The paladin’s class skills (and the key ability for each skill) are Craft (Int), Handle Animal (Cha), Heal (Wis), Knowledge (nobility and royalty / religion) (Int), Persuasion (Cha), Profession (Wis), Ride (Dex), and Sense Motive (Wis).

Skill Points Per Level: 4 + Int modifier.

Class Features

Weapon and Armor Proficiency: Paladins are proficient with all simple and martial weapons, with all types of armor (heavy, medium, and light), and with all shields (including tower shields).

[sblock]Free tower shield proficiency.[/sblock]

Aura (Ex): Like the cleric, as agents of their deity, paladins project an aura that can be detected. The power of a paladin’s aura (see the detect good spell) is equal to her paladin level.

Detect Evil/Good (Sp): At will, a good paladin can use detect evil, as the spell. Evil paladins can use detect good.

Smite Evil/Good (Su): Once per rest, a paladin may attempt to smite opponents with one normal melee attack. Good paladins smite evil, while evil paladins smite good. The paladin adds her Charisma bonus (if any) to her attack roll and deals 1 extra point of damage per paladin level. If the paladin accidentally smites a creature that is not of an opposing alignment, the smite has no effect, but the ability is still used up.

At 5th level, and at every five levels thereafter, the paladin may smite evil one additional time per rest, as indicated on the table, to a maximum of five times per rest at 20th level.

Divine Grace (Su): At 2nd level, a paladin gains a bonus equal to her Charisma bonus (if any) on all saving throws.

Lay on Hands (Su): Beginning at 2nd level, a good paladin with a Charisma score of 12 or higher can heal wounds (her own or those of others) by touch. She can heal a total number of hit points of damage equal to her paladin level x her Charisma bonus per rest. A paladin may choose to divide her healing among multiple recipients, and she doesn’t have to use it all at once. Using lay on hands is a standard action.

Alternatively, a paladin can use any or all of this healing power to deal damage to undead creatures. Using lay on hands in this way requires a successful melee touch attack and doesn’t provoke an attack of opportunity. The paladin decides how many of her daily allotment of points to use as damage after successfully touching an undead creature.

Evil paladins can heal their own wounds as above, but their evil touch damages all other living creatures, and heals undead.

Aura of Courage (Su): Beginning at 3rd level, a paladin is immune to fear (magical or otherwise). Each ally within 10 feet of her gains a +4 morale bonus on saving throws against fear effects. This ability functions while the paladin is conscious, but not if she is unconscious or dead.
Evil paladins are immune to fear (as their good counterparts) but they project an aura of dread. Each opponent within 10 feet of her suffers a -4 penalty to saving throws against fear effects.

Divine Health (Ex): At 3rd level, a paladin gains immunity to all diseases, including supernatural and magical diseases.

Blessed Weapon (Sp): At 4th level, a paladin gains the ability to temporarily imbue the weapon she wields with magical abilities. This ability requires a standard action to activate and lasts for 1 round per paladin level. If the weapon leaves the paladin's hand, all effects immediately end. The paladin cannot imbue more than one weapon at a time.

As she increases in level, her weapon gains additional abilities. See the table below:
Code:
Level	Enhancement	Effect
4	+1		weapon treated as good/evil for overcoming DR; 
			critical threats are automatically confirmed
				vs evil/good creatures
7	+2		weapon does an extra +1d6 good/evil damage 
				vs evil/good creatures
10	+3		paladin is protected by protection from evil/good; 
			weapon gains the holy/unholy ability
13	+4		weapon radiates magic circle versus evil/good 10'
16	+5		weapon gains the holy/unholy burst ability
The holy/unholy weapon effects supersede (and do not stack with) the bonus damage gained at level 7.

When the paladin imbues a magical weapon, the highest enhancement bonus applies, but the weapon loses any other magical effects it may have had (flaming, dancing, vorpal, etc.).

[sblock]The paladin had two spells that did not also appear on the cleric spell list. Rather than roll these spells into the cleric list, we simply granted the effects of these spells directly to the paladin as class features. This has the added bonus of freeing up those spells so that the paladin can diversify his spell selection a bit more.

This same philosophy was extended to the paladin's divine mercy (see below)-- a great many "maintenance" curative/restorative spells are granted as class features. Again, this frees the paladin to ready other spells instead.[/sblock]

Turn Undead (Su): When a paladin reaches 4th level, she gains the supernatural ability to turn undead. She may use this ability a number of times per rest equal to 3 + her Charisma modifier. She turns undead as a cleric three levels lower than her own paladin level.

Spells: A paladin gains the ability to cast divine spells, which are drawn from the cleric spell list.

To ready or cast a spell, a paladin must have a Wisdom score equal to at least 10 + the spell level. The Difficulty Class for a saving throw against a paladin’s spell is 10 + the spell level + the paladin’s Wisdom modifier. She receives bonus spells per day if she has a high Wisdom score.

Renewed Smite (Su): Upon reaching 5th level, the paladin does expend a use of her smite if the attack misses.

Divine Mercy (Sp): At 6th level, a good paladin can produce one of the following spell effects, as the spell, once per rest: bless water, lesser restoration, remove blindness/deafness, remove curse, and remove disease.

She can use this ability one additional time per rest for every three levels after 6th (twice per rest at 9th, three times at 12th, and so forth).

At 8th level, a good paladin gains access to restoration. At 10th level, she gains access to dispel evil.

Evil paladins gain divine cruelty instead, and can produce the following spell effects: curse water, death knell, blindness/deafness, bestow curse, and contagion. At 8th level, she gains access to poison. At 10th level, she gains access to dispel good.

Code of Conduct: Paladins (of any alignment) who knowingly and willingly act against the interests of their deity immediately lose all class abilities. Furthermore, a paladin may never knowingly associate with those who conflict with her moral and/or ethical code, or who act to oppose the interests of the paladin’s deity. The DM may choose to warn the paladin’s player should such conflicts arise, in order to give the player the opportunity to make a knowing and willful choice.

Code:
Level	BAB	BMB	Class Features
1	+1	+0	Aura of good, detect evil, smite evil 1/rest
2	+2	+1	Divine grace, lay on hands
3	+3	+1	Aura of courage, divine health
4	+4	+2	Divine weapon 1/rest, turn undead
5	+5	+2	Renewed smite, smite evil 2/rest
6	+6	+3	Divine mercy 1/rest
7	+7	+3	Divine weapon 2/rest
8	+8	+4	
9	+9	+4	Divine mercy 2/rest
10	+10	+5	Divine weapon 3/rest, smite evil 3/day
11	+11	+5	
12	+12	+6	Divine mercy 3/rest
13	+13	+6	Divine weapon 4/rest
14	+14	+7	
15	+15	+7	Divine mercy 4/rest, smite evil 4/rest
16	+16	+8	Divine weapon 5/rest
17	+17	+8	
18	+18	+9	Divine mercy 5/rest
19	+19	+9	
20	+20	+10	Smite evil 5/rest

Shazman

Banned
Banned
I say drop the bonus feats for the barbarian. His class abilities are already far more potent than the fighter's bonus feats. There is no reason to give him bonus feats on top of rage, DR, uncanny dodge, more skill points, d12 hit dice, etc. Why would you ever play a fighter instead of this barbarian?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads