Trailblazer Teasers (collected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

joela

First Post
base

For the record, I plan on using Pathfinder RPG as my baseline but am going to mix in Trailblazer (definitely the multiple attack, base magic bonus, and AoO rules).

Makes two of us so far! (joela plans to use TB as the base for his campaign as well).

*high fives Elodan* :lol:

GlassJaw

Hero
It might be a matter of taste, but I like the skill point system. I played in a Star Wars game and I wanted to be better at swimming after a long period on a watery world. My only choice was to spend a precious feat on gaining the skill or on skill focus.

Feats are part of your combat power. I like having skill points that aren't as closely tied to combat output.

Good post Rolflyn. Very much how I feel as well. In 3.5/PF, you can two characters of the same level that are "trained" in Swimming but have different scores. In 4ed/SWSE, they would be identical. I like varying degrees of ability.

I've got two issues with skills - first, they're a lot of work for the casual and/or math-challenged player, secondly they're a lot of work for me as DM for very little payoff.

Agreed on both points. The first problem is essentially gone with the removal of cross-class skills. Assigning skills points is incredibly simplified with no cross-class ranks.

On your second point, Trailblazer recommends that for NPC's, you give them a set number of ranks based on their HD, especially max ranks for important skills (I'll let Wulf comment further on this).

On top of that, there are very few skills that an NPC will actually be able to use during his "lifespan" in a campaign, and that number is even less with the removal of Concentration.

Sunsword

Adventurer
I have to say that PF Beta's handling of skills & skill points is probably my favorite. All skills cost 1 point per rank, but when you put your 1st point in a Class Skill you get 3 additional bonus ranks. No more multiplying times four at first level. Its probably what I'll use.

Greg K

Legend
I have to say that PF Beta's handling of skills & skill points is probably my favorite. All skills cost 1 point per rank, but when you put your 1st point in a Class Skill you get 3 additional bonus ranks. No more multiplying times four at first level. Its probably what I'll use.

I dislike PF's handling because of the instant +3 bonus.

Greg K

Legend
On your second point, Trailblazer recommends that for NPC's, you give them a set number of ranks based on their HD, especially max ranks for important skills (I'll let Wulf comment further on this).

My suggestion would have been don't sweat the small stuff. Give them what they need (capping by level) and, maybe, set a side a few points to represent ranks that would have gone in other areas of interest..

Elodan

Adventurer
Iterative attacks

With the 2 attack rolls at -2/-1/0 change to iterative attacks instead of +6/+1, etc.(at least based on what I saw in the appropriate ENWorld thread), how does it work in conjunction with things like rapid shot or flurry of blows (PF monk sneak peek got me thinking here).

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
With the 2 attack rolls at -2/-1/0 change to iterative attacks instead of +6/+1, etc.(at least based on what I saw in the appropriate ENWorld thread), how does it work in conjunction with things like rapid shot or flurry of blows (PF monk sneak peek got me thinking here).

I'll provide a chart in Trailblazer.

Bottom line: All attacks use the same bonus.

AllisterH

First Post
Good post Rolflyn. Very much how I feel as well. In 3.5/PF, you can two characters of the same level that are "trained" in Swimming but have different scores. In 4ed/SWSE, they would be identical. I like varying degrees of ability.

You keep saying this but this isn't true in either SWSE or 4e.

As for the use of precious feats, given that the skill system still has Stealth and other high use skills existing along with Craft:Basketweaving, skill points _ARE_ a precious commodity.

GlassJaw

Hero
You keep saying this but this isn't true in either SWSE or 4e.

But it pretty much is. In 4e, you have a bonus in all skill equal to 1/2 your level. If you are trained in a skill, you get a +5 bonus.

Not saying that's a bad system at all. Just saying that it doesn't allow for varying degrees of "training" or ability (aside from feats).

Rolflyn

First Post
As for the use of precious feats, given that the skill system still has Stealth and other high use skills existing along with Craft:Basketweaving, skill points _ARE_ a precious commodity.

Skill points can be precious, but nearly as precious as feats. If I put one skill point from Stealth into Basketweaving, I get -1 on a skill i might use a couple of times per adventure, but if I give up a feat to take the Basketweaving skill at +5, I not only overload my Basketweaving, but I lose out on +1 damage on virtually all my attacks or similar stuff. And let's face it, there will be less important skills than Stealth to take points from.

Feats are way more valuable than skill points, if only because you get maybe 10 feats in 20 levels, but should get at least 40 skill points during that time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads