Trailblazer Teasers (collected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
And I have certain 3PP supps that have entire classes revolving the use of Concentration (e.g, QMonk).

Then you should just give these classes a (Level + 3) equivalency to the ranks they need.

Honestly the same argument could be made for Perform vis a vis Bards.

joela

First Post
skills

Then you should just give these classes a (Level + 3) equivalency to the ranks they need.

Uh, the QMonk's abillities are non-psi ki-like powers, activated by the monk's focus. Concentration fits, flavor-wise. I can see why Mongoose used the skill instead of Arcana or Religion.

Is Spellcraft available in Trailblazer?

Honestly the same argument could be made for Perform vis a vis Bards.
Understood. Note that I'm not trying to make an argument for or against anything. Glassjaw asked my rational on the use of Concentration and I gave it.

AllisterH

First Post
Ok, I'll bite...

What exactly are the advnatages of using the 3e/PF skill system instead of the SWSE/4e skill system?

GlassJaw

Hero
What exactly are the advnatages of using the 3e/PF skill system instead of the SWSE/4e skill system?

It's largely personal preference.

While we leaned heavily towards "Gamist" mechanics with Trailblazer - and which the SWSE/4e skill system certainly is - I prefer some variation in ability in the skill system.

In the 3ed/PF system, you can have two characters that have placed ranks in and are trained in a certain skill but have varying ability levels in that skill. In 4e, it's much more black & white. You are either trained or you're not and your "ability" in that skill will the same as another character that is trained or untrained.

I also like the customization the 3ed/PF system gives you by allowing you to spread around your skill points as you choose. You can either focus on and be very good at a few skills or be more of a jack of all trades.

But both system removes the biggest issues with the 3ed skill system: cross-class ranks and the x4 multiplier at first level.

After that, it's personal preference.

AllisterH

First Post
It's largely personal preference.

While we leaned heavily towards "Gamist" mechanics with Trailblazer - and which the SWSE/4e skill system certainly is - I prefer some variation in ability in the skill system.

In the 3ed/PF system, you can have two characters that have placed ranks in and are trained in a certain skill but have varying ability levels in that skill. In 4e, it's much more black & white. You are either trained or you're not and your "ability" in that skill will the same as another character that is trained or untrained.

I also like the customization the 3ed/PF system gives you by allowing you to spread around your skill points as you choose. You can either focus on and be very good at a few skills or be more of a jack of all trades.

But both system removes the biggest issues with the 3ed skill system: cross-class ranks and the x4 multiplier at first level.

After that, it's personal preference.

No customization possible in 4e/SWSE skills?

Er, Untrained (+0) vs Jack of all TRades (+2) vs Trained (+5) vs Focused (+8) vs Master (allow for reroll).

When joela posted this on rpg.net, another poster even expanded this with the idea of Gifted (anything you roll under a 5 is a 5/10 is a 10)

There's a lot of customization allowable but more importantly, my issue with skill points has always been the unbounded nature that quickly results in a skill contest that the whole party can't take part in.

At level 1, I can design a contest that challenges everyone and take part but once I hit level 8 or 9, there's no such contest possible...especially if the PCs didn't take ANY skill ranks in said skill.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
That's kind of anti-climactic don't you think?

I'll maybe reverse that. Which means the druid will be last...

Monk please!

As an unabashed 4e fan, but who is still involved in 2 3.5 games, I love how you're cleaning up some of the most annoying 3.5 subsystems. Are you planning on mentioning individual spell changes beyond dispel magic, as I think that they are the overall worst offenders.

joela

First Post
please!

Monk please!

And the rest as well (i.e., paladin, ranger, etc.) :p

As an unabashed 4e fan, but who is still involved in 2 3.5 games, I love how you're cleaning up some of the most annoying 3.5 subsystems. Are you planning on mentioning individual spell changes beyond dispel magic, as I think that they are the overall worst offenders.

Would love to see TB's take, if any, on polymorph.

Rolflyn

First Post
It might be a matter of taste, but I like the skill point system. I played in a Star Wars game and I wanted to be better at swimming after a long period on a watery world. My only choice was to spend a precious feat on gaining the skill or on skill focus.

Feats are part of your combat power. I like having skill points that aren't as closely tied to combat output.

4e solved some of the "spells are you combat power" problem with rituals that don't come from the same pool as your magic missiles and fireballs. But then they took away your ability to have cool skills without sacrificing feats that would have been spent on to hit or damage.

Kid Charlemagne

I am the Very Model of a Modern Moderator
I've got two issues with skills - first, they're a lot of work for the casual and/or math-challenged player, secondly they're a lot of work for me as DM for very little payoff. Until I got E-Tools, in fact, I rarely ever did skills for any NPC's other than the most important ones. I kind of like the simplified 4E system. This system is better than the default 3.5 system, I'll have to see what I think of the Pathfinder final ruleset.

I almost feel like I'll need to create my own little SRD/rulebook for my players just so they can keep all the variant rules I'll be using in line! Argh!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads