Trailblazer Teasers (collected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenris

Adventurer
I have to say that when I first looked over the 10-minute rest period, I was a little put off and wondered if Trailblazer would be right for me.

But I went back and read the whole section including the rationale (which for me was a big help in understanding the why and convincing me) and read it all. And once I understand why I got it and began to see the advantages and am looking forward to it enhancing my game play.

I can't wait to see what else Trailblazer has to offer.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I have to say that when I first looked over the 10-minute rest period, I was a little put off and wondered if Trailblazer would be right for me.

Hey Fenris! Thanks for checking it out.

Like everything in the preview, the new rest mechanic is something you can start trying in your game right away (especially if you are already using Action Points in your game). Give it a try for a couple of sessions.

It will certainly change the pace and the feel of your game. Essentially, by mutual agreement (the players want to rest, and you want to allow it) the PCs will be able to enter every fight "fresh."

We're just codifying that style of play-- that "hand wave" agreement-- that probably already exists in most games.

And if you're not willing to allow them to rest, then a big upside for the DM is that you only have to "think ahead" in 10-minute chunks.

But I went back and read the whole section including the rationale (which for me was a big help in understanding the why and convincing me) and read it all. And once I understand why I got it and began to see the advantages and am looking forward to it enhancing my game play.

That's very gratifying to hear. The design essays are a big part of Trailblazer. We agreed when we started that we would make no changes that could not be defended and explained in such a fashion (although obviously some design essays are longer than others).

I can't wait to see what else Trailblazer has to offer.

Minicol

Adventurer
Supporter
Hiya,

I am interested too. Right now, I am more on the Pathfinder boat, but I am not one to let a good book pass by.

Where will it be sold ?
What are your plans beyond the book ?
Is it all-inclusive, or are you going on a PHB/DMG/MM course ?

Thanks in advance, I will definitely check it.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Is it all-inclusive, or are you going on a PHB/DMG/MM course ?

We'll cover everything from the PHB and DMG that needs to be changed.

Not many changes on the MM front-- you'll find all your monsters remain compatible. (This actually speaks to our design philosophy, which is that it is easier to change the rules governing PCs than it is to change everything else.)

smetzger

Explorer
Magic Item Identification

I noticed you had an entry for easier magic item identification but didn't elaborate on it.

Here are my house rules:
1) Identify works without changes
2) Detect Magic can be used to identify a magic item by comparing it to a similar item. For example the party finds a magic cloak and already has a magic cloak, just compare the magic auras if they are the same then the cloaks are the same. If they have the same aura but one is stronger then one is +1 and one is +2.
- This makes it still take a bit of resources and investigation to ID a 'new' item, but as the party gets higher levels the more mundane items can be identified with Detect Magic.

3) Potions of the same type all taste the same. Once you've drunk one cure potion, you can easily id the next one with a sip.

As a side note I also made all zero level spells spontaneusly castable in a standard action and the Sorcerer gets access to all arcane zero level spells.

The above worked well when running RttToEE.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
I noticed you had an entry for easier magic item identification but didn't elaborate on it.

Potions are already pretty easy (see Spellcraft skill) but I go a step further and just forgo the roll if it's a common potion they've used before.

For everything else, I make it a skill challenge: Each success along the way to 3 successes reveals a bit more about the item; 3 failures ends the challenge.

This allows the PCs to identify and use newly acquired items "in the field."

For stuff they can take home with them-- yes, there's still identify.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Who else besides you is working on Trailblazer?

So many people have had input in the course of development that I use "we" out of courtesy and habit.

Several EnWorlders you may know have certainly been helpful-- both publicly, on many of the threads here, and behind the scenes.

One or two of these folks may have some essays in the final product, though that contribution is up to them.

Theocrat

First Post
Hi all -
From what I'm reading I like some of this and I think I'll attempt to install at least the 10min break for this weekends game. However, I wonder if the players will say that this feels too much like 4e.
One of the posts for this says that PF establishes that there are 20 average encounters per level and 13.3 challenging encounters for a level. I realize that the 3.5 DMG states that it's about 14.5 encounters, but I've not seen that in the PF sourcebook. Is this just assumed based upon the XP to level charts that use Math that I'd never be able to understand?
In using the 10min Rest Period, it seems that as a GM you'd want your monsters to be maxed in HP and if possible not just generic Monster Manaual monsters - you'd idealy want to modify them, giving them more appropriate feats and other aspects to make an encounter additionaly challenging. Is this the case?
I simplified my XP chart to 15XP per level, granting 1XP per encounter - for all levels. I just attempt to make the encounters challenging enough that at higher levels it is still compareable. Thus for 2nd level you need 30 XP total, and 3rd is just 45 XP total.
You note that you use Action Points and the Reserve Points (in the Trailblazer book), but I don't really understand AP's and RP's. Are AP's just like those fround in d20M and Unearthed Arcana?
I look forward to seeing more.
Be Well. Be Well Blazed.
Theocrat Issak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads