Trailblazer Teasers (collected)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
But seriously, I was very pleases to see Mythic Heroes elements worked into the APs. I really liked the concept behind it but my players found it a little cumbersome. I am hopefull this will help those ideas become better integrated for them.

You'll note that the Maiden was rolled into the Mentor and the Trickster was rolled into the Shadow. I basically tried to move things around a bit to fit into tighter "roles."

I also removed a lot of the "doubling and shadowing" terminology-- and replaced doubling with exploding dice. An action point will give you a much greater bonus than any comparable Big Six item for your level-- but APs are, of course, a limited resource.

But when you spend them, they almost always work.

Frankly I think this is much better for overall balance than the existing Item Creation arms race, with escalating ability scores, enhancement bonuses, DCs, and so forth. It's simply not the case that you need a +5 resistance item all the time (and I will show you the math to prove it...), but when you do really need it... you really need it. APs fill that gap nicely.

GlassJaw

Hero
Frankly I think this is much better for overall balance than the existing Item Creation arms race, with escalating ability scores, enhancement bonuses, DCs, and so forth. It's simply not the case that you need a +5 resistance item all the time (and I will show you the math to prove it...), but when you do really need it... you really need it. APs fill that gap nicely.

Yeah, but I still wouldn't mind 1d8 DR for an entire battle. :devil:

Hehe, kidding. :p

I haven't decided yet. It won't be steep.
I will build a little more profit into the print version. If you like the PDF and want to show your appreciation, buy the print version.
OK, if you insist I'll take my free PDF and buy the print, post a little editing, with pleasure. I just thought it was PDF only. The preview is awesome stuff and, as I have said before, I just love reading intelligent alternate rules. I'm addicted!
Trailblazer is based on the 3.5 SRD but is fully compatible with Pathfinder. It is not a Pathfinder-branded product but much of it was designed with Pathfinder in mind (or at least Pathfinder is on our minds).
Coolio, while I DM the WotC module line in 4E I will be prepping my own PFRPG campaign. And tweaking 3E is fun (more fun than mixing up 4E IMO)

joela

First Post
Pathfinder AP?

Coolio, while I DM the WotC module line in 4E I will be prepping my own PFRPG campaign.

mach1.9pants, are you planning to run one of the Pathfinder APs once you get the Core book? I'm seriously considering either CotCT or the upcoming CoT. While I'm definitely using Trailblazer, I haven't decided yet if I want to combine it with the PRPG or 3.x.

I am unsure at the moment, while PF APs are an awesome read and of such a high quality with massive depth, I think we may do some sandboxing. What I will probably do is run RotRL to start (modded to my own campaign and using PF rules) and if the players disappear off on a tangent... we'll sandbox, if they stick with it we'll play it. I mean if they sandbox into my Korvosa-clone then I'll start CotCT. Hell if they do a heap of this then the world will probably end up imploding :)

TheGrandNuge

Explorer
Iron Trailblazer?

Is Trailblazer material going to be as easy to use in Iron Heroes as in core?
Will some of the material be easy to cherry pick, or leave out? Like the changes to skill points and saves, without screwing up anything else.

Wulf Ratbane

Adventurer
Is Trailblazer material going to be as easy to use in Iron Heroes as in core?
Will some of the material be easy to cherry pick, or leave out? Like the changes to skill points and saves, without screwing up anything else.

There are a few concepts from Iron Heroes in Trailblazer, but I am really not the person to ask about rules cross-compatibility in general: I am just not familiar enough with IH to give you an answer with any confidence.

I think Iron Heroes is a step further removed from 3.5 than even Pathfinder, and so it isn't something that I personally would want to try to "convert."

What I will say is that you can probably figure out some design principles that you can carry over to Iron Heroes (for example the skill points and saves, as you already noted).

Helena Real

Dame of Solamnia (she/her)
In appreciation of your enthusiasm and support, each of you who downloads this final preview from RPGnow will receive a free copy of the final Trailblazer PDF.
Well Wulf, nothing left to say but THANK YOU!

I'd like to tell you here that you are a great rules designer and a wonderful, generous RPGamer. I hope that TB really gets the attention and respect it deserves and I, in advance, congratulate you for having created such an elegant and easy-to-use rules for anyone who still wants to enjoy 3.x/PFRPG.

Best regards in every future project of yours (that I will be alert and ready to read),

Felipe.

P.S.: If it weren't because of the outrageous shipping costs to Chile (and South America in general) I assure you that I'd be the first one to buy a printed version of TB!--just to show you my support. As it is often said, "Vote with your money" (this goes to all my fellow gamers who have the chance to support and return, at least in a small way, all the dedication and generosity of Wulf)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads