D&D 5E Treantmonk's Guide to Wizards 5e

Halivar

First Post
I don't know if you're the same treantmonk who did the wizard and cleric guide for Pathfinder, but if you are, then you rock and I'm giving this a try for this weeks' one-off. I don't like playing wizards, but you helped me enjoy it pretty ok in PF.

EDIT: Color-coding and Comic Sans? Yep! It's you. :p

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Lots of cool observations here, thanks! I appreciate the thoughts on illusions especially.

You might want to rethink rope trick, though -- with its 1-hr duration, it's great for safe short rests.

Cernor

Explorer
One thing you glossed over is that Sleet Storm forces everyone inside to make Concentration checks against your spell save DC, which tends to be more difficult than the checks from damage (barring powerful AoEs). It can be really useful to stop opposing casters if Dispel Magic/Counterspell aren't available.

Blue: Yes, I wasn't thinking of point buy. So far, every group I've played in has used the stat array. Fair point. Variant Human: I meant that this edition of the human is...naw, you got me. Corrected...
PnPgamer: Thanks for providing it

DaveDash

Explorer
Hold Person is one of the best spells in the game.

Most combat NPCs are humanoid, humanoids are common throughout the entire game.

I'm guessing you haven't seen hold person cast with a high DC against NPCs or large numbers of humanoids.

Combine it with a melee character in your group with Great Weapon Master for more silliness.

Prism

Explorer
I wouldn't dismiss the cantrips that grant a save. These are often better than those that need an attack roll as many creatures have poor saves but some have good AC. I would say you need one of each

You dismiss Spell Sniper from consideration because Fireball has "more than twice the range" of a 60' cantrip, but that's an unsound argument. With Spell Sniper, Chill Touch and Fire Bolt both have 240' range, and even Ray of Frost has 120' range making it much easier to use in any game where combats can occur in an open space instead of a 30'x30' room.

I wouldn't dismiss the cantrips that grant a save. These are often better than those that need an attack roll as many creatures have poor saves but some have good AC. I would say you need one of each

I wouldn't. There just aren't any good cantrips that do damage and grant a save. With poison spray you have a 10 foot range, with Acid Splash you have poor damage.

If there is a creature with a high AC, and you want to avoid to hit rolls, you have other options that involve the use of better spells, or even cantrips. Blasts are recreation only, you really don't need one for every occasion.

bedir than

Full Moon Storyteller
I'm totally with [MENTION=6787650]emdw45[/MENTION]. In the wilderness having a 240 range attack without disadvantage is quite useful.

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases