• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Treasure Hunter help?

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
Lol, you may have a point, but speaking form a personal point of view, and my group's as well, our characters usually have other goals instead of simply wanting shinies. When I say a treasure hunter I mean the sort of person who has a big-ass room filled with artifacts (rare and unique stuff, not your regular arcane items) to show and tell. Sure gloves of dexterity or a vorpal sword are always great stuff, but that's something too "commonly" seen, imo. And as Dandu said, we often focus a lot more on roleplay and the plot itself than loot, epic gear and min-maxing every chara. When I say "hold her own in combat" I'm not saying "nuke every creature in existence" just being able to leave most common encounters in one piece, even if she ends up having to run from it at some point.

Vespucci

First Post
No, sometimes there are PCs who are just there for the roleplaying, not the combat and looting segments.

Seeing as the exploration is part of the roleplaying, I don't buy the distinction. But perhaps you just play a dice-rolling game with occasional "cut-scene" conversations? If so, I hope you're enjoying it.

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
What Dandu said is that some players focus more on making a character and focusing on the personality, story and interactions, instead of worrying mostly about loot and being epic in every fight

Vespucci

First Post
Lol, you may have a point, but speaking form a personal point of view, and my group's as well, our characters usually have other goals instead of simply wanting shinies. When I say a treasure hunter I mean the sort of person who has a big-ass room filled with artifacts (rare and unique stuff, not your regular arcane items) to show and tell. Sure gloves of dexterity or a vorpal sword are always great stuff, but that's something too "commonly" seen, imo. And as Dandu said, we often focus a lot more on roleplay and the plot itself than loot, epic gear and min-maxing every chara. When I say "hold her own in combat" I'm not saying "nuke every creature in existence" just being able to leave most common encounters in one piece, even if she ends up having to run from it at some point.

A more thoughtful response deserves a more thoughtful response.

I don't mean to say that all characters just want the shinies for the sake of putting in their money bin. But a basic assumption of the game is that all characters are seeking treasure (for reasons peculiar to them). It's quite funny that your character really does want to do this, but that's not "treasure hunter" - you're talking something more like "collector". (So part of the character's objectives would be to accumulate sufficient wealth or power to get other people to run the risks of collecting for her.)

Given that your character concept revolves around epic gear, I have no idea what to make of your claims about roleplaying rather than focusing on epic gear. For my money, roleplaying is mainly about immersion and interaction.

Plot is something that emerges out of the "bunch of stuff that happened" - if your ref is telling you otherwise, he's probably railroading you. (If you're not sure about his tendencies, call up all the other players the day before your next session and discuss the party's goals for the next session, then attempt to follow that plan. If you get stonewalled, you're dealing with the Fat Conductor. If you get obstacles, you've got a ref.)

For the last: the phrase "handle themselves in a fight" may be somewhat obscure (and perhaps is an idiom peculiar to my homeland). Certainly, you seem to have read it as something quite different to what I had in mind. I apologise for any confusion caused. To be clear, this phrase doesn't mean "nuke every creature in existence" - it's just another way of saying, "hold their own in a combat".

Dandu

First Post
Seeing as the exploration is part of the roleplaying, I don't buy the distinction. But perhaps you just play a dice-rolling game with occasional "cut-scene" conversations? If so, I hope you're enjoying it.
Yes, I am clearly playing the equivalent of an MMO, but with pencil and paper.

SorvahrSpahr

First Post
I'll agree with the "collector", far better way to describe the character, yes.

What I meant about taking roleplay over epic gear is simply that the only reason the character is looking for artifacts, is for collection and personal satisfaction, not to be walking around wearing all the best gear in the world.

As for your assumption that all characters are seeking treasure, again, depends on what their goals are. We've had characters whose goals ranged from gaining fame, to finding someone and even simply staying out of sight from someone else and living their own lives. So while some do seek treasure, others are more concerned about their personal issues, rather than treasure.

Vespucci

First Post
Yes, I am clearly playing the equivalent of an MMO, but with pencil and paper.

I am glad that our exchange of RPG-snobbery has been successfully concluded. :)

Seriously, "adventurer" is the default character type. Sneering that some characters are there for "roleplaying purposes" rather than looting (*) is not an argument against this being the default. Nor is it an argument that there ought to be a different default assumption.

*: I have excluded characters being about combat, because - that's not a default assumption. In fact, earlier editions specifically intoned on the wisdom of running away and paying bribes.

Dandu

First Post
No, 3.5, for it is clearly too much like such computer based RPGs as Neverwinter Nights and D&D Online, both of which involve multiplayer parties battling it out over the internet.

Remove ads