Trek Spoiler Spectacular! (Forked Thread: The new Star Trek movie is...)

Did they say Enterprise was the Starfleet flagship? IIRC, in the original series/timeline, it wasn't the flagship until after Kirk & co. covered it (and themselves) in glory a few times.

Well, that and the fact that in o/canon (that is "original canon," as opposed to n/canon, or "new canon"), it was the only one of the original 13 Constitution-class cruisers to survive up into the movie timeline. :)

Yes, Pike referred to it in the movie as the "new flagship." But whether he meant it was the new flagship of the entire fleet, or just of the cadet-driven "mini-fleet" that was dispatched to Vulcan is, I suppose, arguable.

cignus_pfaccari

First Post
Well, that and the fact that in o/canon (that is "original canon," as opposed to n/canon, or "new canon"), it was the only one of the original 13 Constitution-class cruisers to survive up into the movie timeline. :)

Yes, Pike referred to it in the movie as the "new flagship." But whether he meant it was the new flagship of the entire fleet, or just of the cadet-driven "mini-fleet" that was dispatched to Vulcan is, I suppose, arguable.

Perhaps it was because it was the newest and prettiest ship?

BTW, did anyone else geek out over the various ship types? I notice that the Kelvin really rather strongly resembled one of the old FASA destroyers.

Brad

Eosin the Red

First Post
I didn't so much have a problem with the promotion but there were some "issues" that made me wonder. Before I get to those - I loved the movie.

1. Red Matter - it creates singularities so why drill to the core of a planet first?
2. Red Matter - how was that "one ring" stabilized?
3. Nero - really, he waited 25 years. Unseen. Really?
4. U.S.S. Kelvin ramming the Cthulu ship... 1 minute to impact and Nero can't order the launch/firing of any weapon?
5. Enterprise was about 30 seconds behind the other 7 starfleet ships which are all wreckage but somehow survives the full attention of the squid ship until Nero notices the ID.

Those are my quibbles. Still loved the heck out of it.

3. Nero - really, he waited 25 years. Unseen. Really?

Nero was a prisoner of the Klingons.

Yeah, I know, you can't get that from the movie, unless you read between the lines when they're describing the Narada attacking a Klingon prison planet. My understanding is that those scenes were there, but were cut.

I'm hoping for a seriously expanded director's cut on DVD, myself. :)

WhatGravitas

Explorer
5. Enterprise was about 30 seconds behind the other 7 starfleet ships which are all wreckage but somehow survives the full attention of the squid ship until Nero notices the ID.
Actually, it made sense - Pike ordered raising shields as he realised it wasn't a rescue mission.

This implies that the other ships haven't raised their shields... and without shields Star Trek ships were always pretty fragile - and the ships probably all blew up after single hits.

Cheers, LT.

Rykion

Explorer
If I remember correctly in the o/canon it was explained that the Enterprise became the Starfleet flagship after being the only Constitution class vessel to complete its 5 year mission. Starfleet also made the Enterprise arrowhead with star symbol the official insignia of the entire organization at that time. In TOS each ship and starbase used a different insignia design on its uniform.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
1. Red Matter - it creates singularities so why drill to the core of a planet first?
2. Red Matter - how was that "one ring" stabilized?

Red Matter - this stuff can collapse planets and whole stars, destroying whole solar systems and cultures. And just a litle dollop will do it. So, we'll carry around a metric buttload of the stuff on a tiny little ship that's barely armed!

Yeah, them Vulcans, they're *smart!* :p

Remove ads