True20 Adventure Roleplaying Game

Akrasia

Procrastinator
From the Green Ronin site -- http://www.greenronin.com/

"Green Ronin Publishing is proud to announce to upcoming release of the True20 Adventure Roleplaying game. Based on the innovative new rules system from Blue Rose, our Roleplaying Game of Romantic Fantasy, True20 provides a complete set of rules for fast, easy, and fun adventure roleplaying. All you need is a single 20-sided die to play, and the system guides you through the process of creating your own heroic character, with plenty of options to choose from, letting you create the hero you want to play! True20 Adventure Roleplaying will be available next week in PDF format from RPGNow. Whether you are an experienced roleplayer or just looking for a new, simple, and fun game system, True20 is roleplaying done right!"

This looks very interesting. But the announcement is annoyingly vague. Is the game a 'genre-neutral' one , or is it intended specifically for fantasy (essentially BR minus the setting info)?

Still, I think I will be checking this out ... :cool:

EricNoah

Adventurer
I will need to check this out; if the single die mechanic means it's a bit like M&M, one of my DMs might be pretty interested in using something like this as a basis for his next campaign.

Yair

Community Supporter
Arrrg. And I just bought BR when I really wanted this.
I suspect it is BR without the setting info, as that is what the fans wanted. It seems like GR decided there was enough demand to warrent a pdf publication of it. If only they had anounced it earlier, they would have sold one istead of BR too ... :confused:

Eosin the Red

First Post
There is a largish thread on RPG.net about the need for Blue Rose without the Rose (whack the setting and style stuff, just give us the system). When the grumbles turned into --"Hey wait, this is OGl let's remove the IP and put just the rules for sale on RPG.now ourselves" -- GR steped in and mentioned that folks might want to wait a few days before commiting themselves to the project. I assume this is the fruits of that cryptic message.

***Just to be clear, GR obviously (to me) had said project in the works. I ain't harping on them just indicating the context in which the info was given.

SWBaxter

First Post
Akrasia said:
This looks very interesting. But the announcement is annoyingly vague. Is the game a 'genre-neutral' one , or is it intended specifically for fantasy (essentially BR minus the setting info)?

Given the timeline, I'd say it's about 90% likely that it's the OGL parts of Blue Rose - all the mechanics, none of the fluff, with magic, fantasy equipment, etc.

EricNoah said:
I will need to check this out; if the single die mechanic means it's a bit like M&M, one of my DMs might be pretty interested in using something like this as a basis for his next campaign.

Not just a bit, a lot like M&M in combat resolution and such. Character generation and advancement is different, and the magic system doesn't much resemble M&M's powers, but the basic gameplay is very close.

I won't be getting it - I already have Blue Rose, and I generally prefer books to printouts. Be interesting to see if they get enough interest to produce a print version. Judging by reaction at various non-D&D RPG sites, True20 has a pretty decent appeal to the gaming community at large, and if marketed properly might be able to grab a decent market share as a d20 alternative. Time will tell, I suppose.

Henry

Autoexreginated
Looks like True20 had even more impact than they expected. :) I'd love to know if the chicken (desire for True 20 standalone) or the egg (a plan to release it separately) came first, but we'll never know for sure...

carpedavid

First Post
Excellent. I picked up Blue Rose in pdf form specifically to strip the rules from, and I'd been contemplating buying the BR book in print. Now, I will definitely be picking up the True20 Rules if it's issued in print form.

Remove ads