• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Truly Understanding the Martials & Casters discussion (+)

EzekielRaiden

Follower of the Way
This thread has gotten farther than I thought too quickly. Oh well, I guess it's catching up time.
I feel that. Half the time it seems like a thread will go sedately for a day or two and then suddenly sprout 10 pages in fewer hours.

Flavorful homebrew meant that it kept all the mechanics but changed the flavor. So Cure Wounds has the same stats but it acts like a med-kit in the fictional sense. Making a new class or subclass, I would consider that mechanical homebrew.
Ah, I see all "homebrew" as mechanical, and "reskinning" as flavor. Though personally I can't stand most "just pretend spells are not magic" approaches. It can work okay for a handful of things (as demonstrated by the reverse of this--Rangers having several class features hidden as allegedly opt-in spell choices), but plenty of spells are really hard to justify and having to do so with every new spell makes things really awkward over time. Plus, at least for me, there's always this overhanging "this is ACTUALLY a spell, you're just pretending it's not" aspect that poisons the whole experience; I know that won't apply to everyone, but it does apply to a lot of people. (Like how the Pathfinder developers recommended playing, of all things, an Oracle to represent Hercules...)

Part of the problem, which gets brought up by both pro-martial-buff and anti-martial-buff sides, is that this raises the specter of "how does this interact with counterspell or antimagic fields/dead magic zones/etc.?" If it works even when magic shouldn't, then you've just given a pretty powerful buff. If it doesn't, you're pretty much openly admitting that it's still magic, and the thin veneer of "flavor homebrew" in your terms starts peeling pretty badly.

Fighter can do things that not all characters can do. Especially Battlemasters. Know Your War let's fighters know meta-information about a character just by observing them for 1 minute. Even Battlemasters, at a base long jump distance of 25ft, they have the farthest jump distance without expending any sort of resource. Still, when that's brought up, one of the first things people say is that the wizard will have Jump or Fly. So the obligation goes back to the wizard since it's the most optimal.
I don't consider jump distance a meaningful contribution--it's extremely niche. I'm not even going to invoke spells here. Remarkable Athlete is, to me, the emblematic crappy pseudo-feature that shows how shortchanged Fighters are in this department. Its strongest benefit is to combat (Initiative), the jump benefit is near useless (20 feet to 25 feet, such wow, very impress), and since it doesn't stack with existing proficiency, it's wasted on most things you'd already be good at. The one and only non-combat benefit is that it applies to things that wouldn't normally be skills but are still ability checks, and my experience has shown such things are extremely rare. Even if they were merely uncommon rather than "I don't think I've ever had to roll one, ever," I just don't really think a maximum +3 bonus (only acquired at level 13) to a handful of checks is meaningful contribution. Again, it is not the fact that it is a passive benefit, since I think Reliable Talent is a decent non-combat utility benefit. It's that it's pretty small and extremely niche.

Know Your Enemy is exclusively useful for combat-related things, or bare ability checks, which again I have found to be essentially nonexistent. The only things it can tell you (and you can only pick two from the list!) are: Str score, Dex score, Con score, AC, current HP, "total class levels (if any)" (read: useless if it's a monster with no class levels), "Fighter class levels (if any" (ditto). By the rules, Know Your Enemy tells you diddly-squat about the target except ability scores, combat statistics, and class levels. Now, you could certainly house-rule that there are other things Know Your Enemy could be used to learn, but (a) that's not the rules actually provided, that's altering them to be more favorable to the Fighter which is exactly what I'm asking WotC to do, and (b) that's not what we had been discussing, which is the things the class itself (or its subclasses, which I allowed for, so long as all of them do something of loosely comparable impact) actually provides, not what DMs can finagle it to provide.

There's a difference between people who want to play and people who want to have to completely dedicate a large portion of time for a game.

Are busy people not allow to play games? Convenience is a huge part of why anyone does most things. Fast food thrives because busy people don't have to be seated and wait for a server to bring them food. The internet thrives because it allows access to billions of resources for information in one central location.
I'm not saying convenience is bad. I'm saying that designing the game such that convenience denies others options is bad. It would be like forcing everyone who uses desktop computers for accessing the internet to ONLY use the mobile phone interface, because it would be inconvenient for mobile users to potentially get sent to the desktop interface by mistake.

D&D thrives because you can spend less than two hours learning the basics, building a character, and making a story.

Personally, I want that time to be less. Which is why I'm against board overall.
And I'm saying you're holding things to a much, much too high a standard on that front. You can still have "you only need a little time to learn it" while offering reasonable, meaningful options to players. I wouldn't want Fighters to have pages and pages of options. I would very much rather they get something straightforward but flexible. For example, have you played Dungeon World? Its Fighter isn't perfect, but it very much IS good at kicking butt (possibly the best, Barbarian may edge it out), and it includes a really quite cool and useful move that only Fighters get for non-combat utility. It is called Bend Bars, Lift Gates (emphasis in original; "Str" means modifier): "When you use pure strength to destroy an inanimate obstacle, roll+Str. On a 10+, choose three; on a 7-9, choose two. (1) It doesn't take a very long time; (2) Nothing of value is damaged; (3) It doesn't make an inordinate amount of noise; (4) You can fix the thing again without a lot of effort."

Now, I don't think we could just copy this over to 5e directly with zero changes and call it a day. That kind of facile design is usually asking for big trouble. But I very much do think D&D's designers could learn a thing or two about adding cool, flexible, useful utility features to martial characters from examples like the above. Let Fighters be capable of feats of derring-do, of Herculean Efforts or Mighty Deeds--don't bog it down with tons of rules minutiae, but rather have it support a conversation between player and DM about what the character can accomplish through prodigious (and eventually legend-worthy) effort and/or ability.

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
A high level one? It's just difficult to have joe average and 10+ level in my head at the same time.

But, for me. it's not even that. The fighter has little to no base ability to contribute outside of combat - in a way that other classes can. Sure they can take a feat or a skill - but so can EVERY OTHER CLASS. and yes fighters get a few more ASI/feats but they really, need those to stay competitive in the one area they are supposed to be good at - combat.
Here's the thing, literary "fighters" get other stuff for exploration and social. Give them soldiering knacks (ability to forced march better, ability to stay awake longer, ability to rally troops regardless of actual charisma) give them social standing stuff beyond just "take the noble background" something that lets them stand out among the other classes but remain fighters. There's plenty of room between making them better in the other 2 tiers of play and making them demi-gods (though as a personal preference I think there is plenty of room for the mythic fighter too, but that's getting ahead of the current issue IMO).

Unlike "EVERY OTHER CLASS" fighters get 8 ASI's 1-20 instead of the kind of features you are lamenting fighters don't get. Fighters would need to swap some of those extra ASIs for the other features you want but can't justify not taking GWM/Sentinel/etc with 20 in an ability score ASAP. Extra attack giving them a third attack at level 11 makes them good at combat even without a feat & they are still getting action surge second wind 3/7/10/15/18 martial archetype features and extra ASI. Why not just go all in & give them 1:1 gestalt levels if they are as terrible in all three pillars as you are suggesting?

If you give them extra power there needs to be a tradeoff somewhere.

Zubatcarteira

Now you're infected by the Musical Doodle
I find that this type of dicussion usually defaults to Fighter vs Wizard, but something like Barbarian vs Druid is about as bad in terms of out of combat stuff, and without the extra feats to try and compensate.

Unlike "EVERY OTHER CLASS" fighters get 8 ASI's 1-20 instead of the kind of features you are lamenting fighters don't get. Fighters would need to swap some of those extra ASIs for the other features you want but can't justify not taking GWM/Sentinel/etc with 20 in an ability score ASAP. Extra attack giving them a third attack at level 11 makes them good at combat even without a feat & they are still getting action surge second wind 3/7/10/15/18 martial archetype features and extra ASI. Why not just go all in & give them 1:1 gestalt levels if they are as terrible in all three pillars as you are suggesting?

These features are comparably good at low levels and comparably horrible at high levels vs. a full caster.

The premise is that the Fighter is not good enough as is (for the mythic martial -- people can still have this other version if they want it).

Start with the Bard or Wizard or Druid and start swapping out features and spell slots and see where you get.

Mort

Legend
Supporter

Fighters get 7(4th, 6th, 8th, 12th, 14th, 16th, 19th);

Wizards get 5(4th, 8th, 12th, 16th, 19th) - only 2 less.

But Wizards 1) get SPELLS plus wizards only NEED 1 good stat (the others are helpful but not mandatory). Fighters need at least 2 and really 3 - so those ASIs are gone very fast.

And the point is no there does not need to be a tradeoff the fighter has made it by choosing to be a fighter. By not getting ANY support in the other 2 pillars the fighter is behind- fighters barely keep in the combat tier even with the 2 extra ASI.

they get nothing outside of the combat tier unless they sacrifice ASI - something the casters do not have to do. So to say they have to sacrifice more? That's a tough sell.

Last edited:

Trouble is that in these threads "mythic martial" as its apparently being called today seems to be "everything the fighter can do in combat just as well or better plus everything any other class can do within that class's niche". When anyone points out how broken that would be then contrived whiteroom scenarios like quantum wizards against fighters who spend 20 levels with as nonmagic dagger forced to upgrade to a plus one sickle.

Because the fighter is a weak ass class. Compare it to the Paladin or Valor Bard (the BAD bard!) and tell me it stacks up. But people apparently love the concept of 20th level town guards, so the fighter has to remain crappy. What's one more class being better than it?

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
Great, I wish we had an upswelling of support and pressure on WotC for 5.5e/6e to include these 3 classes:

The simple Fighter
The Level Up Fighter
The Paragon martial

We all live happily ever after and can pick and choose which ones we use based on campaign and table preference. Done.

• SLAYER the simple Might Brawler
    • Brute
    • Champion
    • Pugilist
    • Thug
    • Wanderer
  • FIGHTER the complex Weapon Master
    • Arcane Archer
    • Battle Master
    • Cavalier
    • Echo
    • Eldritch
    • Psi
    • PDK
    • Run
    • Samurai
  • PARAGON the supernatural Bruiser
    • Adamant Warrior
    • Demigod
    • Dragonblood
    • Mythic hero
    • Trollskin

Because the fighter is a weak ass class. Compare it to the Paladin or Valor Bard (the BAD bard!) and tell me it stacks up. But people apparently love the concept of 20th level town guards, so the fighter has to remain crappy. What's one more class being better than it?

That might be a good exercise. Take all the common elements of the Valor Bard and the Battlemaster Fighter, then put all the extra stuff the Fighter gets on the left side of the paper (ASIs, action surge, etc) and all the extra stuff the Valor Bard gets (full spell casting+ yea!). What would a someone give up on the Bard side to get the Fighter stuff?

But it doesn't really matter. These two sides have irreconcilable differences in perspective. Some people just don't mind the imbalence, some tables overcome it through table norms and houserules, you don't see it as much if only playing pre made adventures with 10 x 10 rooms with 8 ft ceilings, etc, etc.

I no longer want to convince anyone that can't see this or why someone might want it, but rather just hoping people are empathic enough to not to try to actively block or sabatoge a Class like this if WotC wants to pursue it / play test it. Not holding my breath though.

Mort

Legend
Supporter

Valor bards get a bad rap! Combat inspiration is REALY good. I'd rate a valor bard above a sword bard every time - especially because valor bards are better "bards" sword bard abilities are so greedy they take away from the base class.

But the real point is Bard is a strong base class - so the subclasses don't have to do all the heavy lifting. Same with paladin - the base class is so strong that even the "weak" paladin subclasses are fine.

Fighters could seriously use that - a stronger base class.

Remove ads