• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Truly Understanding the Martials & Casters discussion (+)

HammerMan

Legend
I've tried to make suggestions, everything from limiting how casters recover
your house rule... your way to fix a problem that you seem to not want WotC to fix...because you spakled over the hole
to suggestions on 3PP to buy,
and again not all of us have the time or money for that.
to updates that I think could help without changing the nature of the game. I've tried to get a better understanding. But then when I try to gracefully bow out people keep quoting me and asking me questions so I respond. It's a bad habit.
if you want to respond respond to this:
If there were a NEW PHB in 2024 and it had fighter more or less as is now, but ALSO had Warblade that was the way we wanted it... why would the exitance of the warblade bother you?

Remathilis

Legend
I think they should design a new class that is a hybrid of fighter and monk that does absolutely impossible things for breakfast. Gaze attacks that cause foes to commit seppuku. Spinkicks that reset time. They don't need darkvision, the darkness just moves out of their way. Ranged attack: finger guns. Fiends banish themselves rather than fight them. Deities call them sir/madame. That kind of thing.

We'll call the class: Chuck Norris!

I don't think fighter and casters have to be exactly equal. Martial just need more fun options as they level that interacts with the environment. Trying to enforce exact parity is just another way to prevent the idea from ever coming to fruition.

I think they should design a new class that is a hybrid of fighter and monk that does absolutely impossible things for breakfast. Gaze attacks that cause foes to commit seppuku. Spinkicks that reset time. They don't need darkvision, the darkness just moves out of their way. Ranged attack: finger guns. Fiends banish themselves rather than fight them. Deities call them sir/madame. That kind of thing.

There's a lot of comments saying this in the last 7 pages alone.

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin

As they say, to each, their own...

Oofta

Legend
your house rule... your way to fix a problem that you seem to not want WotC to fix...because you spakled over the hole
You mean the optional gritty rest rules from the DMG? Following the soft guidance of 6-8 encounters between long rests?
and again not all of us have the time or money for that.

if you want to respond respond to this:
If there were a NEW PHB in 2024 and it had fighter more or less as is now, but ALSO had Warblade that was the way we wanted it... why would the exitance of the warblade bother you?
If the warblade is a mythic PC that can kill people by glaring at them (but it's not a spell or supernatural in any way), if they can swim up a waterfall, redirect a river, chop down mountains? No.

TwoSix

"Diegetics", by L. Ron Gygax
Finally, someone who actually gets what high-level D&D is supposed to be about.

Oofta

Legend

The problem is that it relies on magic items which apparently nobody uses. I mean, everybody knows that Chuck wears Boots of Ultimate Ass-Kicking, right?

DND_Reborn

The High Aldwin
Finally, someone who actually gets what high-level D&D is supposed to be about.
LOL I think the fact that is highly debatable is why we have these threads.

For many people, such as @Oofta (except with magic items maybe?) and myself, that would most definitely not be high-level D&D, or D&D at all, by any stretch of the imagination. :D

But, hey, that's what makes forums fun, right?

Remove ads