TSR TSR Cutting Writers Rates (In 1994!)

Writer James Lowder posted about TSR (the company which created and owned D&D until WotC purchased them) cutting it’s writing rates back in the 1990s, along with restrictions on freelancing.

Writer James Lowder posted about TSR (the company which created and owned D&D until WotC purchased them) cutting it’s writing rates back in the 1990s, along with restrictions on freelancing.

“1994. Facing brutal competition in the tabletop game market from Wizards of the Coast, White Wolf, and others, and a potential design staff drain to the blossoming computer game industry, TSR management responds by cutting the rates the staff received for company freelance projects. Given that TSR would, within two years, start missing regular royalty payments to authors, I have to wonder if this ill-conceived cost control measure was an early warning sign.”

949A1C4C-080C-41BE-989F-6257DC6F7E81.jpeg

The problem is the hordes of writers willing to write for peanuts.
You mean like all of the 'fans' who post quality RPG products (adventures, classes, magic items, etc) on ENWorld, Reddit and all the other places they distribute it for free?
At the core of that is that people don't value their own time correctly in the first place.
Or the time of other people. It's why (even though I'm not prolific) I generally don't post my stuff for free but instead charge a nominal cost on the DMsGuild. Not because I'm worried about the couple of hundred dollars I've made over the years, but because I want to help those creators who want to do this job full time be able to make a decent wage doing so.

Cergorach

The Laughing One
You mean like all of the 'fans' who post quality RPG products (adventures, classes, magic items, etc) on ENWorld, Reddit and all the other places they distribute it for free?
Yes, that time honored tradition...

Or the time of other people. It's why (even though I'm not prolific) I generally don't post my stuff for free but instead charge a nominal cost on the DMsGuild. Not because I'm worried about the couple of hundred dollars I've made over the years, but because I want to help those creators who want to do this job full time be able to make a decent wage doing so.
🤮

Sorry, you can tell yourself that, but your one of the monkeys writing for peanuts, while being able to say that your being 'published'...

I'm not saying that it is bad that you publish your stuff and ask money for it, but the rest sounds like hubris. Let people share what they love doing, but this isn't the occupation to make a good living the old fashioned way. That happens when so many want to do the same thing and don't really care what their paid for it.

Lord_Blacksteel

Adventurer
It is terrible. I've written on my blog about this. The problem links back not to evil companies, but to the model by which RPGs are sold and how consumers pay for them. Most home campaigns spend far more on snacks than they do for the adventures. Most RPG gamers claim to love RPGs more than anything else, but pay significantly less for the hobby than they do for video games, TV, or movies. Gamers are quick to show outrage when a publisher (regardless of size) tries to price a product at anything higher than current rates, even when every aging publisher seems to need a GoFundMe campaign for their health care.

It's a problem if you aspire to make a decent living writing RPG material, certainly. But a TV doesn't come with the means to make your own shows. Nor does a disc or streaming service, nor do most video games. You never hear someone say "I would never watch a published TV show" - but it's a pretty common refrain among people who run RPGs. RPGs typically come with their own means to generate near-infinite content which lessens the need for "more". Once the rulebook/books are out, the basics are covered. That endless stream of adventures, character options, and setting details that some think are an essential part of a game are very very optional. Adventures have been tagged as non-money-makers for decades - I think Paizo is the first company to make steady income from those as a major focus.

As others have mentioned:

a) No barriers to entry as you need no special skills or qualifications to write an RPG adventure.
b) It's easy to translate existing material into new games and many gamers have a backlog of old material waiting to be used in some way so if you want to sell a lot of that material there are some limitations on what you can charge.
c) Everyone that wants to play a videogame generally has to have a copy or a subscription of some kind. A group of six gathers for an RPG session only one person really has to have a copy of the game. It's a different kind of thing. You could have a similar number of people playing each and sell a tenth of the units for the tabletop, regardless of price.
d) Gamers tend to be thrifty with their purchases, for whatever reason. There is a small set of people who can/will spend whatever they want on their games, and a much larger set who would prefer to spend as little as possible. They are very resistant to pricing increases as noted. It's not new.

So, yes, writing rates for RPGs are low. They've always been low, relative to other options out there. Keep in mind the rates shown in this article are 25 years old and some people are saying they would be competitive today! I think anyone looking at that as a career option had better really really love it as you're probably not going to make much money doing it. If you can treat it as a hobby or a source of extra income then I think you'll be better off in a lot of ways.

As far as the regular GoFundMe requests ... these are people who have spent a lifetime in an industry doing something they loved and have achieved some level of recognition or notoriety yet they often have no financial security at all. That's definitely a problem but really that should be a warning to up-and-comers, not a siren's call. These are the people who were successful doing what you want to do - look how it turned out for them! There's another article up right now about layoffs at Lone Wolf - the HeroLab people. There's not much good news there. It's a small industry and there's just not that much money in it. A few people will do well, more people will "get by", but most will have a hard time making a living wage, especially if you have a family to support.

Beleriphon

Totally Awesome Pirate Brain
What's interesting is that this means say a member of the legal department, or that kid in shipping can work on gaming material, and get paid.

I checked, and even now in theory in Canada its legal. All the company is going is stipulating to its own employees: here's stuff we are offering to freelancers, you can bid on it as well, but be aware as an employee this is your rate because 1) we're already paying you; and 2) you have to do it on your time; we'll let you use the facilities if need be but no promises.

That actually sounds pretty fair.

Sorry, you can tell yourself that, but your one of the monkeys writing for peanuts, while being able to say that your being 'published'...

I'm not saying that it is bad that you publish your stuff and ask money for it, but the rest sounds like hubris. Let people share what they love doing, but this isn't the occupation to make a good living the old fashioned way. That happens when so many want to do the same thing and don't really care what their paid for it.
I really have no idea what you are trying to say here. I even went and looked up 'hubris' just in case it didn't mean what I thought it did, and it still does.

Maybe the point you are trying to make is that RPG creator should not be a career with a livable wage? I mean that would be a totally reasonable position. But I'm not sure that's the point you are trying to make.

Now, to not ignore your comments on me personally... I'm still baffled if you are trying to deride me or not. But I think trying to tell me what my motives are is a bit... inappropriate. (If that is indeed what you are trying to do.)

Remove ads

Remove ads