• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TV or movie pet peeves

Insight

Adventurer
Actually amatuer computer users click around furiously with a mouse. Professionals tend to the use the command line, shortcut keys and so forth lots and lots. And lots.

Surely it takes more than 3 keystrokes to hack into ANYTHING, much less a critical utility, traffic control, or military subsystem. See, it doesn't bother me that these things can be done, whether by mouse or keyboard, but with the obviously ridiculous speed in which they can be accomplished.

Raven Crowking

First Post
Rocket launchers without a backblast. I've fired a LAW, and the backblast is significant. If you watch Jewel of the Nile, there is a good shot where a LAW is actually fired, and the backblast is clearly visible. In Falling Down, you can see the backblast to some small degree.

In one of the Rambo films, Rambo fires a LAW in a helicopter -- and the people behind him cheer! IRL, they would be so much toast, as would the helicopter and Rambo.

RC

fba827

Adventurer
swarms of bad guys who shoot 1000000 rounds off and always miss but the single good guy/gal is always the ace shot who only needs one shot to shoot some wire (or similar thing) that causes obstructions to fall in the way and give him/her the escape needed...

introducing the random love interest who the main character is so madly in love with that week just to provide the 'damsel in distress' story line. (though, oddly, i'm okay with it if it's a recurring or regular character for a several episodes beforehand to actually establish the love interest angle before he/she is taken).

someone having their epiphany moment that makes his life all better and wrap up all their story lines just so that they can be killed off that same episode. (example: Jadzia Dax's exit from ST:DS9 or (forgot his name, Olivia's partner that was doppleganged) from Fringe)

inconsistent use of power/skill potential .. ie. the character learns to use a power/skill/superpower/whatever one way to defeat an enemy in an episode but in later episodes that particular skill/trick/power is never considered again even though it would work.

drothgery

First Post
inconsistent use of power/skill potential .. ie. the character learns to use a power/skill/superpower/whatever one way to defeat an enemy in an episode but in later episodes that particular skill/trick/power is never considered again even though it would work.

Some of this happens because most shows aren't written with tight plot arcs from one episode to the next, so the writers of episode 4 haven't seen the script for episode 2.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Two more:

A quick, simple knock to the head always knocks you out! And then seems to have no significant impact after you wake up!

Knocking someone out by hitting them in the head is:
  • a LOT harder than it looks
  • actually has a pretty low percentage of success (at least with one strike)
  • and if it does knock someone out, almost always results in a concussion, and possibly a cracked skull or severe brain trauma (or both)
Also, beer bottles are always used to knock someone out with no other problems (as above), and shatter every time.

I've seen someone hit in the head with a beer bottle once. The bottle did not break! And it literally broke his eyesocket in multiple places, gave him a blackball hemorage of the eye (that lasted for a couple of months), and screwed up the vision in that eye for the rest of his life. Oh yeah, and it didn't knock him out!

It's why cops will charge you for hitting someone with a bottle as Assault with a Deadly Weapon!

:erm::)

jonesy

A Wicked Kendragon
The bottle did not break! And it literally broke his eyesocket in multiple places, gave him a blackball hemorage of the eye (that lasted for a couple of months), and screwed up the vision in that eye for the rest of his life.
I've seen a friend get hit with a bottle which broke. 20 stitches. And he was conscious the whole time. Lucky he didn't end up with permanent scars. Really lucky.

Merkuri

Explorer
swarms of bad guys who shoot 1000000 rounds off and always miss

Ohhhh, I hate that! I swear, a lot of the villains in TV shows and movies just don't aim.

Mob1: He's running in a straight line, what do I do?!?
Mob2: Aim behind him, that always works!

Nobody's ever heard of "leading" have they? :p

Ohhhh, I hate that! I swear, a lot of the villains in TV shows and movies just don't aim.

Mob1: He's running in a straight line, what do I do?!?
Mob2: Aim behind him, that always works!

Nobody's ever heard of "leading" have they? :p

Having played enough Modern Warfare 2, I'm actually okay with hordes of poorly-trained badguys getting killed by one ridiculously competent goodguy. I've been one of those badguys often enough in-game, where I almost can't believe how bad a shot I am.

Of course, then I practiced for a while so I would know to stop shooting behind the guy.

But consider how much ammo costs, and how much we spend to train our soldiers. I've heard that some of the insurgents in Iraq thought American accuracy was magical, because they simply never had the chance to practice with thousands of bullets.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I've seen someone hit in the head with a beer bottle once. The bottle did not break!

Dunno what to say - but I've seen a good half dozen bottles break on people's heads in my time (luckily never when I was any more than a bystander). It's not an unusual phenomenon.

Perhaps the guy who hit someone with a bottle which did not break or did not knock him out (or at least floor him indefinitely) wasn't swinging it very hard? In my experience, people hit hard with a bottle don't shrug it off - they go down. Not that I've experienced it directly - on either end - but it happens.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads