• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TV or movie pet peeves

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Isn't that how they work? (At least to my memory the ones I used when I was younger used to sound like that).

When you put your money in, it's held in the main body of the phone, so that some or all of it can be returned if your call doesn't connect or runs short. When you finish your call, the money drops down into the lockbox beneath the phone, from which the phone company operatives can retrieve it on their rounds.

Not as such. There is a decidedly different sound to the coin(s) falling into the coin box (lockbox) than when they fall into the coin return (which is the sound most often heard in movies and on television because they don't make a real call).

Insight

Adventurer
My turn.

Computers as represented in TV and movies. I don't believe there is ANYTHING more grossly misrepresented in entertainment. If you watch practically ANY show with a computer in it (I'm looking specifically at Smallville, 24, CSI, and so forth), people can do CRAZY OUTLANDISH things with a computer, things that would take hours AT BEST -- with a few keystrokes and BOOM here's the traffic camera in another city check it out!

Sidebar: Actual computer users only use the keyboard when typing their Twitter messages and Facebook statuses. They use a mouse for clicking buttons and so forth. Yes, I understand that watching someone furiously typing away on a keyboard is more INTERESTING and EXCITING than someone quietly clicking a mouse button, but c'mon...

anyhoo, back to the main topic. Hackers, even the best of them, have to spend HOURS to hack into major government and corporate systems. And these are people who spend their lives hacking. The people represented on these shows are hardly the sort who seem like they spend their lives in their mom's basement reading UNIX manuals and trolling black hat forums for new code. It strains even the barest shred of credulity when some runway model sits down in front of a computer, types three letters and boom, here's the backdoor to the Pentagon's anti terrorism database.

Last edited:

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
My turn.

Computers as represented in TV and movies. I don't believe there is ANYTHING more grossly misrepresented in entertainment. If you watch practically ANY show with a computer in it (I'm looking specifically at Smallville.

I agree with the rest, but I think it's OK in Smallville. There's lots of futurustic comic-book tech in it - it's a comic-book genre. The human tech in the show is clearly a bit ahead of real-life tech. The heroes' tech is even better.

Plane Sailing

Astral Admin - Mwahahaha!
The biggest aircraft movie discrepencies (IMO):

Worst aircraft movie howler for me? Top Gun.

"Look out, it's a MIG!"

No, it is an F5 Tiger. Happened to be used for Top Gun training because it had similar flight characteristics to a MIG-21. Also in use by lots of small countries it was sold to.

Plus, wasn't there a stupid scene where the hero and a bad guy are flying canopy to canopy without their tails sticking into each other (let alone airflow mashing them together!)

Gah!

Plane Sailing

Sidebar: Actual computer users only use the keyboard when typing their Twitter messages and Facebook statuses. They use a mouse for clicking buttons and so forth. Yes, I understand that watching someone furiously typing away on a keyboard is more INTERESTING and EXCITING than someone quietly clicking a mouse button, but c'mon...

Actually amatuer computer users click around furiously with a mouse. Professionals tend to the use the command line, shortcut keys and so forth lots and lots. And lots.

Plane Sailing

My turn.

Computers as represented in TV and movies.

Interesting genre subversion of trope - in the Matrix 2, when Trinity is hacking the power station she was using actual contemporary hacking techniques, tools and known security vulnerabilities (as of 2001).

Only visible for a few seconds, but it is nice that they did their homework there!

Back to pet peeves now!

I hate the way that CSI fingerprint matching wastes so much processing power flicking through all the fingerprints, when it makes sense to just do that in the background and then notify of matches. Mind you, it is a bit miraculous in the ability to make matches happen!

Pbartender

First Post
Nowadays it's keys and locks. Somebody leaves his car on the driveway unlocked, comes back later and unlocks it? Someone else leaves her home and doesn't lock the door at all. Another locks the door and then immediately comes back and the door isn't locked anymore, and he just walks in. Or locks his car with a remote, but when he comes back he just walks in and starts it. It's as if keys and locks didn't even have anything to do with each other. And when they do they don't matter.

I recently noticed a variation on this one recently... in the show Glee.

Watch carefully... All the locker in the school have combination locks hanging off them. But none of the students open or close the locks when they open or close their lockers. The combo locks are always hanging there -- always locked closed -- even immediately after an open locker has been closed.

For any normal locker, you'd have to unlock the lock and completely remove it from the little loop in the locker's latch before you could open it.

Now it bugs me every time I see it in the show. :mad: I know they do it for pacing purposes, but couldn't they have used lockers with built-in combo locks? That way, they could have at least pretended to spin the dial.

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
Worst aircraft movie howler for me? Top Gun. ...

Yeah, it was too bad they didn't (couldn't) use real Mig's. That would have been seriously cool. But, I was okay with the F-5's being used due to the real world limitations of the time. I know they used models (very good, large scale models) for quite a bit of the filming, but they also needed real inflight footage. So they could have made and used models of real Mig's, but they would have had a problem with the real inflight footage.

I know that at the time, US aggressor squadrons possessed and flew real Mig's, and the USSR also knew we had them. But it was probably something the military really didn't want to advertise too much at the time. And, what real Migs we did have were most likely in very small numbers (possibly even only single versions of some), making them extremely limited and valuable assets. They probably weren't willing to risk them just for a movie. Also, using them in a movie (where they could have been "identified" by the Soviets) may have opened us up to questions we may not have wanted to answer (like from where they were aquired...and how:eek:).

The F-5's used were actual aggressor squadron aircraft. They needed the Navy's aggressor A-4's for the actual Top Gun school scenes, so they used the F-5 aggressors as the Russians. Just be glad the movie was made when it was. If it had been made 10 years later, we might have had F-16's or F-18's as Mig's!:eek:;) (Ironically, they even use F-14's as aggressors today.)

But it was too bad, I would have liked to see some real Mig's in there too. That would have been seriously cool!:cool:

And Yeah, that "canopy to canopy" scene was Horrible! Charlie: "At what range?". Maverick: "About 2 meters". - Yeah, Okay! 2 meters is about 7 feet. The vertical stab on an F-14 is about 6 feet by itself. So basically the Mig's (F-5's) vertical stab would have actually been sitting between the F-14's vertical stabs. Not too mention that if they were at a significant speed their bow waves would have been buffeting the hell out of eachother*. If they were flying slow enough for that to not be a factor, then they probably wouldn't have been flying fast enough to fly inverted and still maintain lift. F-14's are not the most agile aircraft in the world, and although they generate lift, they fly mostly on the concept of "if you put a big enough engine on it, it'll fly!". Although not exactly the same aircraft, F-15's have some similarity with F-14's (size, speed, similar agility). I remember a story about an Isreali F-15 that was able to fly home after having a wing torn off...simply by throttling up and using the engines much like a rocket plane. F-14's and F-15's aren't exactly flying bricks (like an F-4), but the concept is about the same: Big enough engines will make anything fly.

*Yeah, yeah - I know someone will say that aerobatic teams like the Blue Angels and Thunderbirds do stuff like that all the time. To that I'd point out that: 1) They practice those manuevers all the time. Regular fighter pilots, even Top Gun pilots, never do it (and are not allowed to do it). 2) F-14's are huge fighter aircraft, and generate a pretty significant bow wave (compared to a smaller aircraft). F-18's (Blue Angels) and F-16's (Thunderbirds) are much smaller and maneuverable aircraft. F-18's and F-16's compared to F-14's, is a bit like comparing a Lotus Elan to a Dodge Hemi 'Cuda.

Also, that whole "I'll throw on the brakes and they'll fly right by me" crap! Gahhhh!

Spoilers, flaps, air brakes, (etc.) are only used during approaches (landings), and have significant airspeed limitations. In the scene where Maverick uses this tactic, he's flying full out (but not supersonic) with his wings swept. The wing sweep can be done automatically by a computer, or manually by the pilot, but requires the aircraft to be above a minimum airspeed in order to maintain lift and controllability. Though I don't know what that minimum airspeed is for an F-14, it's probably higher than the maximum airspeed for the spoiler, or at best right around the maximum speed of the spoiler. At the time though, it's kind of implied that Maverick is really moving (probably somewhere around 400-500 knots), and definitely faster than what the spoiler can handle. If that had really happened, the overstress on the aircraft frame would have most likely caused significant sructural problems, could have possibly torn the spoiler right off the aircraft, and may even have resulted in a catastrophic failure of the aircraft (specifically, Maverick's aircraft breaks up in to lots of pieces and scatters over the desert!).

Most likely those scenes were shot at fairly slow speeds...possibly even near the stall speed of the F-14. But, it's all probably moot in that the spoiler most likely has some kind of speed limiting switching, which wouldn't allow it to be activated above it's maximum speed anyways (although I can't be sure, I've never worked on fighters, but the concepts are fairly universal). I can however be fairly certain there's a nice little warning placard next to the spoiler controls with the airspeed limits in big, bold, red, letters. But in any event, "hitting the brakes" at combat speed, would be a very bad thing!

But, despite all that, and despite Tom Cruise being in it, it's still one of my favorite movies. Maybe it's because of when it came out, and how old I was at the time...but I still dig it big time. I do have to ignore some of "those" moments though.

:D

El Mahdi

Muad'Dib of the Anauroch
...I hate the way that CSI fingerprint matching wastes so much processing power flicking through all the fingerprints, when it makes sense to just do that in the background and then notify of matches. Mind you, it is a bit miraculous in the ability to make matches happen!

This reminds me of another pet peeve: TV police are always able to get DNA information back in an unbelievably speedy time-frame.

I know DNA can be run pretty quickly nowadays, but the problem isn't the testing time, it's the time a lab needs to process. Very few police departments have their own labs for this sort of thing (due to expense, and the impact of possible quality control problems on evidence and trials). Most police departments, even most big city police departments, have to send DNA out to other laboratories for processing. And usually with turn-around times measured in weeks.

Yet in TV land, they're always getting their DNA back by the next commercial!:erm:

Remove ads