• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Ukraine invasion

NotAYakk

Legend
I thought he was gonna pull a Constantine XI or Leonidas.

But they won around Kyiv.
When you attempt to Martyr yourself for a cause and end up winning the fight.

"This is like a team headed to the superbowl plays a game against a high school football team, and it is half time, and they haven't scored yet."

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
"This is like a team headed to the superbowl plays a game against a high school football team, and it is half time, and they haven't scored yet."

Yeah, but they've trashed the locker room, ripped up the field, broken up the stands and sent many of the people there to the hospital.

It is rather like the point of the exercise isn't to play football, but to terrorize the town council about what other damage they could do, if they wanted.

IvyDragons

Explorer
I find it interesting that while China publicly calls for peace. Privately in documentaries published to the local population they are praising Putin as a hero who is resisting the wests liberal values, and reacting to Nato expansion. Really is a battle of democracy vs authoritarianism.

IvyDragons

Explorer
More distressing to me is that that battle is also being fought inside many of those democracies.
Propaganda is a hell of a drug.
Its the only way people can hang on to power, the new wave of republicans, distinct from the old guard, know this so they are beating Putins drum but had to back off because they were outnumbered. But they will try again, I fear Trump will not be the worst president, there is worse to come.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Its the only way people can hang on to power, the new wave of republicans, distinct from the old guard, know this so they are beating Putins drum but had to back off because they were outnumbered. But they will try again, I fear Trump will not be the worst president, there is worse to come.
This thread is about the Ukraine invasion, not American politics. Please stay on topic.

Mannahnin

Scion of Murgen (He/Him)
President Johnson trapped himself inside a box of Can'ts that crippled his policy and strategy options. Any proposal that would break the ongoing stalemate got the reaction "We can't do that".

Subsequent Presidents have learned from LBJ's experience and mistakes.
Of course it didn't help that Nixon sabotaged peace talks in '68 to help himself win the Presidency. Though we didn't get firm evidence of that treason until a few years ago.

Edit: Sorry for the digression! I'll stay on topic!

Gradine

The Elephant in the Room (she/her)
I have read multiple reports that Russia's military is more a paper tiger than anything. I've read at least one account stating that Russian soldiers were sabotaging their own equipment. Ukraine has been tough but I think we might be giving their opposition a little too much credit

billd91

Not your screen monkey (he/him)
I have read multiple reports that Russia's military is more a paper tiger than anything. I've read at least one account stating that Russian soldiers were sabotaging their own equipment. Ukraine has been tough but I think we might be giving their opposition a little too much credit
Maybe - but there's also nothing like having parts of your country annexed by a bullying neighbor with whom you have a brutal history to motivate you to invest in your military and their training over the last 7 years. Had the Russians invaded broadly back in 2014 instead of focusing just on the Crimea and using proxies, I doubt their forces would have been any better than their forces now, and I doubt the Ukrainians would be able to put up as much of a fight. Had the Russians been facing Ukrainians this prepared in 2014, they might not have been able to annex the Crimean Peninsula.

Remove ads