Ukraine invasion

As long as pontificating on the evil/righteousness of either side isn't the goal, amd just information is imparted, I don't see it being a major issue. Once we get people saying X is right, Y is wrong. Yeah, then it gets political, otherwise, its just news.
That is unlikely judgement calls have already been made above on what news is considered propaganda and what is not.

TheSword

Legend
The 6,000 strong WFRP Discord (Ratters Guild) recently reversed its no-politics position on this matter after realizing it had dozens of members living in Ukraine. I hope we can understand that some things - like Covid, and the right not bombed in your home - transcend politics.

It would be good for us to have a place where we can show solidarity with Ukrainian RPGers and their families at this really difficult time. As well as solidarity for Russian’s that are suffering from the sanctions or effects of the invasion dispite not wanting the invasion either.

I can’t believe EN World would not show support for Ukraine as it is being invaded or worse try to stay neutral. As if neutrality is possible when this has happened. If it makes it easier this could be ring fenced.

I’m not vouching for these charities just sharing what was shared by the Ratters. Do your research.

Last edited:

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
True. I wouldn't even say "potentially" anymore: I think they're past that now.

Still, I've a nasty hunch Parmandur might be right.
Yet, I feel it could easily just be a footnote in history books. There are plenty on tv and online claiming the invasion isn't happening. This is why I say potentially. Disinformation has a way of becoming "alternative facts".

UngainlyTitan

Legend
Supporter
If this escalates to nukes then it really is a matter that concerns us all. Of course, at that point we may not be able to post here.

Things will get interesting in the next couple of days, when the Russians decide how they are going to crack the nut that is Kyiv.
I know the west has ignored atrocities in urban warfare recently in places like Syria, Yemen and so forth but this a European city with close cultural ties across Europe, and the west. There are Ukrainian people living working every country in Europe, there are musicians, sports people and artist with fans and friends all over the west and it is going to be live on Twitter, Tiktok, Instagram and YouTube.
The speed of reaction in the EU and even the Swiss reaction is a reflection of the groundswell of public opinion.
President Zelenskiy's performance has a lot to do with that. I mean the line "The fight is here, I need more ammunition, not a ride" is a classic.

Ya know, I do not think that the EU did not respond as rapidly to the financial crisis in 2008 as they are doing to the Ukraine crisis.

Challenging moderation
We're not in Kansas anymore.

If you look around, there's more and more communities and companies dropping their traditional "no politics" stance.

When you see even Switzerland doing something about it, it should at least ring a bell...
I have no problem with the dropping of the no politics stance. I have a problem when only one narrative is accepted and everything else is treated as misinformation and censored as was done within the covid thread, particularly when the science amongst the medical and scientific professions was not unified as the MSM would have us believe.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Well I feel this thread should get locked as this is a political thread and I would suspect just like the pandemic thread, only one vision will be permitted. Consensus is highly unlikely on this issue.

That is unlikely judgement calls have already been made above on what news is considered propaganda and what is not.

I have no problem with the dropping of the no politics stance. I have a problem when only one narrative is accepted and everything else is treated as misinformation and censored as was done within the covid thread, particularly when the science amongst the medical and scientific professions was not unified as the MSM would have us believe.
If you want to pick a fight with moderation, you're going the right way about it. Now, leave the thread please. If you have questions about the moderation in a different thread, you know the correct way to go about it, and that method is not 'challenge the moderation in an entirely different thread'.

Snarf Zagyg

Notorious Liquefactionist
I appreciate what the mods have said above, and I have avoided this topic.

I will only say this- in the same way that this board believes that tolerance and inclusion are the correct way for things to be handled, and as such are proper behavior and not just "politics," I think it should also be the case that defending the rights of innocent people to live their lives free of terror and war in their own country should also be beyond politics.

And while there are certainly adjacent political topics that should be avoided, supporting free people in their time of greatest need shouldn't be controversial. IMO.

Remove ads