Ukraine invasion

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
I was just watching CNN, and they announced that- in a departure from their usual policy- Japan will be taking in Ukrainian refugees.

I immediately thought this is a win-win for Japan. In the short term, they’re being a good member of the international community by rendering aid. In the long term, this could help them offset their negative population growth and help repopulate some of their “ghost towns”.

(Bonus: it’s a poke in The Bear’s eye.)

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I wonder if there's a country in the world Russia hasn't been in some kind of war with. Japan spanked them hard in the early 20th century. lol

This is great news for all involved.

Hussar

Legend
I was just watching CNN, and they announced that- in a departure from their usual policy- Japan will be taking in Ukrainian refugees.

I immediately thought this is a win-win for Japan. In the short term, they’re being a good member of the international community by rendering aid. In the long term, this could help them offset their negative population growth and help repopulate some of their “ghost towns”.

(Bonus: it’s a poke in The Bear’s eye.)

There’s actually a really large Ukrainian community here. It’s one of the bigger minorities.

Zardnaar

Legend
I wonder if there's a country in the world Russia hasn't been in some kind of war with. Japan spanked them hard in the early 20th century. lol

This is great news for all involved.

UK still holds that record iirc. There's very few they haven't fought.

For the 20th century USA wins.

It's a favourite whataboutisn online.

Last edited:

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
There’s actually a really large Ukrainian community here. It’s one of the bigger minorities.
That’s interesting! And it might be a major factor in why they’re opening their borders to the Ukrainian refugees. Besides the pleas fr9m those already in country, a settled Ukrainian populace will make it easier to deal with the practical matters of helping the refugees. The mere availability of native speakers- especially those with an understanding of the host nation- is going to be a HUGE asset In those efforts.

Hussar

Legend
Granted Japans not going to win any awards for immigration but what there is does tend to have clumps. Nepalese and Ukrainian are probably the biggest minority groups in my area other than Korean of course but that’s a whole ‘nother can of worms.

Aeson

I learned nerd for this.
I can't remember if this has been posted already.
Charity Navigator is a site that researches charities and rates them. It could be a good site to look at to investigate a charity before donating.

Just had a meeting with one of my Ukrainian colleagues in Odessa. Apparently they've destroyed another Russian warship. He says a lot of the Russians soldiers being sent to fight are just young boys who barely know how to drive a vehicle or fire a weapon, let alone hit a target. He seems optimistic about Ukraine's war efforts, with several areas of Kiev being back in Ukrainian hands. But even he realises this won't end any time soon. I cautioned him that this will get worse before it gets better. Chemical weapons might be next I fear.

Horwath

Legend
Just had a meeting with one of my Ukrainian colleagues in Odessa. Apparently they've destroyed another Russian warship. He says a lot of the Russians soldiers being sent to fight are just young boys who barely know how to drive a vehicle or fire a weapon, let alone hit a target. He seems optimistic about Ukraine's war efforts, with several areas of Kiev being back in Ukrainian hands. But even he realises this won't end any time soon. I cautioned him that this will get worse before it gets better. Chemical weapons might be next I fear.
In every war young and stupid are sent to die on behalf of old and rich.

Remove ads