• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Under strange stars

hafrogman

Adventurer
Menghil
as quietly as possible slips forward once more to check inside the cell. This time he keeps one hand in front of him, to feel for his companions, and he keeps one eye on the suspicious guard.

Someone

Adventurer
Jagra:
The standing guard has one large key hanging from a weak chain on his belt. At first sight, the lock on the door does seem also big and simple

Menghil:
Cautiously, you move in front of the door. The guard doesn´t notice you, and ou have the opportunity to watch through the small window. There lies Minah, there´s no doubt. He´s strikingly similar to Abu, and even has a very similar scar in his forehead [note: no, it doesn´t have any funny shape]. He´s just older, maybe a little older than you expected.

hafrogman

Adventurer
Menghil
is glad that the guard seems to have calmed down and nobody seems to have discovered any of his group yet. He realizes rather belatedly that they should have arranged some kind of all clear signal. He flies up over the wall again and remains there for a moment or two, looking back down upon the compound for any disturbances before heading back, hoping the gnome and mephit can handle themselves.

Ashy

First Post
DM:
I will imagine the guard running by me, out of the door, and place myself on the side of him where I could best snag the key. The, whispering the somantic component, I will cast ghost sound just outside the door. The sound will be that of serveral guards hurridedly running about, drawing weapons, yelling in somewhat wavering voices, "All hands! All hands! To the walls! We're under attack!" When/if the guard runs by, I will snag the key and fly to the door...

OOC: gotta die somehow, right? ;)

Someone

Adventurer
Jagra:
[Notice that figments can´t produce intelligible speech unless specified; however, that doesn´t rule out making sounds of gibberish that sound like speech; also, you can´t whisper verbal components: you have to pronounce them “in a strong voice”]

The sounds of your incantation make the guards raise their heads, looking around and tossing dice everywhere [they rolled enough to hear you, since its DC 0, but not enough to pinpoint your location] and then jump to their feet when they hear the conmotion the spell causes; you use you opportunity to grab the key, snapping the chain whithout anyone noticing [good Sleight of Hand roll, even with the chain penalty]. The key becomes also invisible as you put it under your clothes and sigh in relief.

“What´s that?” says one of the guards. “Sounds like a hundred ghosts”
“This place is haunted” says another.
“Don’t be silly.” A third guard draws his sword and protects himself with the shield. “This is magic, someone is just playing with us. Show yourself! You three, spread and look for him, and you, Helim, raise the alarm and bring help!”

Helim starts running so fast that he kicks his own ass.

Menghil:
As you fly over the wall, you hear a conmotion at the cells, though you can´t see anything from your position

Ashy

First Post
DM:
Going with the "haunted" motif, I do the following, in order:
1. Put a thunderstone in my mouth
2. Stick my fingers in my ears
3. fly fairly close (~ 2 ft.) to the guards, but above their heads (as close to the ceiling as possible)
4. spit out thunderstone
5. using the noise of the thundersone as cover, cast unseen servant and command it to "start running around baging on the walls, doors, and touching everyone in the room but me".
6. If my ruse works, and if chaos ensues, I will then quickly open the door to the cell, hoping that my intended target is within...

Someone

Adventurer
Jagra:
Going with the "haunted" motif, I do the following, in order:
1. Put a thunderstone in my mouth

No problem here.

2. Stick my fingers in my ears

Ok.

3. fly fairly close (~ 2 ft.) to the guards, but above their heads (as close to the ceiling as possible)

That´s a lot of height, since there´s no ceiling. You´re in the open.

4. spit out thunderstone

Uhu. One of the guards falls on his knees with both hands in his ears. The others don´t. While you´re casting the spell, they find the thunderstone.

5. using the noise of the thundersone as cover, cast unseen servant and command it to "start running around baging on the walls, doors, and touching everyone in the room but me".

They start running around and attacking the source of the noise, but since they´re using weapons, the Servant continues doing its job. The deaf guard moves away; the others disperse, but don´t flee.

6. If my ruse works, and if chaos ensues, I will then quickly open the door to the cell, hoping that my intended target is within...

The door opens easily. There´s an old man that matches Zosimo´s description, if maybe a little older that it should be. He´s walking to the door to see what´s going on, and is surprised to see it open on it´s own. Then is when a soldier notices the (slightly) open door and shouts a warning, and you realize that you´re no longer floating. The invisibility spell won´t last more than a couple rounds.

Ashy

First Post
DM:
Jagra gets close enough to whisper to the man. "If you want to be free of this place, do not resist. I will give you the ability to fly. Once you are flying, go out the door and over the wall - we will meet at Abu ibn Minah's mansion." If the man does not resist, then Jagra will cast fly on him and then back out into the hallway. Then, IF he has time, Jagra will cast sleep on as many of the guards that stand between him and the doorway (of the holding area) as possible.

Last edited:

Someone

Adventurer
Menghil:
Suddendly, you start falling slowly, outside the walls -the fly spell has expired- The invisibility won´t last more than a few seconds, also, so you head for the meeting point with the others.

Jagra:
[Note: sorry if this seem somewhat railroading, but I´d like to wrap up this part, since you´re the only active character and the others should be bored by now]

The man looks at your position and answers: “Are you crazy? They have bows, and I have no armor. Half the city will see me. Can you do something with them? Balls of fire? Rains of lightning? Death clouds?” He makes a pause. “Sleep?”

“Eh… Yes?”

“What are you waiting for, then?”

Your spell definitely finishes the invisibility spell, but with great success. Three of the four guards at the gate fall like logs: Minah comes out of the cell -and under the sun-, grabs a spear before theguard can say anything and stabs him. You help the old man finishing the guard; he bends and complains through his teeth.

“My back. It aches like hell. Quick, give me the key.”

He´s very commanding. While he searches the key, he gets an old hat from under his clothes and dons it. His appearance changes to that one of the soldiers, and explains while opening the other cells. “I never had the opportunity to use it. Always locked up, and with four or five guards. No opportunity to bluff someone. Now follow me.”

Disguised as a soldier, and using the confusion, he has little problem to bluff his way out of the citadel -sometimes you almost believe him. Thanks to whatever god, you´re free in a matter of minutes, and go to search for the others; you eventually find them.

All, finally: A few minutes after Menghil meets you, Jagra appears, along a soldier whose form melts and is replaced with the one of an old man, who can be no other than Minah –if no other magic is involved- Minah says:

“I´m grateful for your rescue –I was wondering what Zosimo was doing- We have to speak, but not here, and not in my house. We have to hide somewhere, and I know the perfect place.”

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads