• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: 16 New Feats

"Today’s Unearthed Arcana presents a selection of new feats for Dungeons & Dragons. Each feat offers a way to become better at something or to gain a whole new ability." https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/feats The feats include Artificer Initiate, Chef, Crusher, Eldritch Adept, Fey Touched, Fighting Initiate, Gunner, Metamagic Adept, Poisoner, Piercer, Practiced Expert...

"Today’s Unearthed Arcana presents a selection of new feats for Dungeons & Dragons. Each feat offers a way to become better at something or to gain a whole new ability."

Ec0zu9OU8AA8eVM.jpg

The feats include Artificer Initiate, Chef, Crusher, Eldritch Adept, Fey Touched, Fighting Initiate, Gunner, Metamagic Adept, Poisoner, Piercer, Practiced Expert, Shadow Touched, Shield Training, Slasher, Tandem Tactician, and Tracker.

Ashrym

Legend
I mean, yes you could do it before, but now you're even better at it.

I used the contact from the criminal background to find and purchase black market poisons. I had planned on expertise nature to harvest my own at one point but ended up a different direction.

The feats add a bit to the options but don't add much to the effectiveness of the approach or concept. IMO, of course. ;-)

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Someone mentioned reprints...

With the PHB+1 rule for AL in mind, the fact they are considering publishing a feat which needs the Artificer spell list, doesn't it hint that the whole Artificer class will also be reprinted in such book?
Xanathar's 2.0 is undoubtedly going to reprint the Artificer class, with the Armorer UA, and this feat.

ZeshinX

Adventurer
2. fighter with lvl 1 dip to warlock and eldritch feat (lance of lethargy or repelling blast) + action surge. At mid to high levels, you can shut down mobs, or blow them off the board, left and right

Less so with Lance of Lethargy, since it's only usable once per turn (and I assume on only one ray from the EB if you have more than one ray, though that feels a wee bit ambiguous as written), so the Action Surge won't offer another opportunity to use that particular invocation. Same with Grasp of Hadar if you favour drawing enemies into melee range rather than slowing/pushing them away.

Repelling Blast has no such limit, so that one definitely has some serious utility as you describe (and as written, pretty much no ambiguity as far as multiple EB rays go).

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
My list of feats that could come, and how I would limit them for each class:

• Artificer: I would personally like an Infusion Adept feat, but this may be too attractive. I would give it restrictions, like only be available to people with Spellcasting or Pact Magic, only give 2 infusions known (neither can have a level restriction, so no Radiant Weapon, Replicate Magic Item, etc) and one infusion at once. This would make it so an Arcane Trickster could have a Returning Weapon on a dagger without taking away from the Artificer, a Hexblade with Pact of the Blade could have their pact weapon be +1 without taking an Eldritch Invocation, and then +2 at level 10.
  • Barbarian: No rage feat. No reckless attack, unless it is only advantage on one attack this round. You would get a +1 to Con or Str, your AC while not wearing armor is 12 + your Dexterity (you can have a shield), and maybe another minor benefit. There would also be another that increases your weapon critical hits by an additional damage dice.
  • Bard: No Bardic Inspiration. You get a +1 to Dex or Cha, and you may choose 5 skills you do not have proficiency in. You can add half your proficiency bonus to those 5 skills. If we want to make it worthwhile for bards to take, maybe instead of a mini "Jack of all trades" you give them proficiency in one musical instrument and skill.
  • Cleric: One extra use of Channel Divinity, with a general use of it. This could be Turn Undead, or an increase to a weapon's bonus to hit. A healing one could work as well.
  • Druid: No wild shape. +1 to Wisdom, understand Druidic (maybe), and you count as a shapechanger.
  • Fighter: +1 to Strength, Dexterity, or Constitution, and you score a critical hit with weapon attacks on a 19-20.
  • Monk: +1 Dexterity or Strength, unarmed strikes are 1d4 (or 1d6 if they already were), and you get 2 Ki points, and 3 different options to use it on (Flurry of Blows, bonus action dodge, bonus action disengage).
  • Paladin: The channel divinity one mentioned above.
  • Ranger: You get Favored Enemy.
  • Rogue: Out of ideas.
  • Sorcerer: Out of ideas.
  • Warlock: One level one warlock spell slot, and 2 spells known of the warlock list.
  • Wizard: Out of ideas.

DnD Warlord

Adventurer
It's weird that there's no MC feat for Paladins... You can pick up Cleric or Druid spells with Magic Initiate, and fighting styles from the Fighter... but nothing from the Paladin.

Would have been cool to see a way to get some Lay on Hands on other characters, adding to the Paladin's pool of HP at the same time.
Yes...something like a 10hpnjunpnif you already have it or just 10hp pool if you dont

ZeshinX

Adventurer
Rogue: Out of ideas.

I feel offering Sneak Attack as an optional feat isn't stealing the Rogue's thunder. Rogues are great at lots of things other than SA. Sure, they're the undisputed masters of SA (and this feat would augment that mastery if taken by them), but precision/sneaky-styled damage is hardly something I'd say should only be limited to them. Perhaps something like this:

Precision Adept
Prerequisite: Proficiency with a finesse or a ranged weapon

You have martial training that teaches techniques in subtle precision strikes and capitalizing on an opponent's distraction, allowing you to perform a Sneak Attack.
  • Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d4 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.
  • You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.
  • If you already have the ability to deal Sneak Attack damage, you instead add 1d6 to your existing Sneak Attack damage.

This doesn't strike me as broken or unreasonable. It doesn't offer any way to enable the SA. Sure, using the variant Human rule might allow other classes to perform SA's as well as a Rogue of 1st/2nd level...perhaps drop the damage to 1d4 but let a Rogue (or any class that has SA as a feature) simply add another d6 to their existing SA.

*Edit: I've changed it from offering 1d6 to 1d4, but Rogue's instead gain an extra 1d6 to their existing SA. So offers SA to others, but Rogues are still the masters of it, and always better at it (damage-wise).

Last edited:

Minigiant

Legend
Supporter
I love Chef and wish their were more job feats that make sense for adventurers.

Like Fletcher that gives you prof with bows, woodcarving tools, and let you craft arrows and darts of different damage types, ranges, and extra effects.

I already homebrewed a Brewer feat for my game's monk and a Songwriter feat for the bard.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I feel offering Sneak Attack as an optional feat isn't stealing the Rogue's thunder. Rogues are great at lots of things other than SA. Sure, they're the undisputed masters of SA (and this feat would augment that mastery if taken by them), but precision/sneaky-styled damage is hardly something I'd say should only be limited to them. Perhaps something like this:

Precision Adept
Prerequisite: Proficiency with a finesse or a ranged weapon

You have martial training that teaches techniques in subtle precision strikes and capitalizing on an opponent's distraction, allowing you to perform a Sneak Attack.
  • Once per turn, you can deal an extra 1d4 damage to one creature you hit with an attack if you have advantage on the attack roll. The attack must use a finesse or a ranged weapon.
  • You don't need advantage on the attack roll if another enemy of the target is within 5 feet of it, that enemy isn't incapacitated, and you don't have disadvantage on the attack roll.
  • If you already have the ability to deal Sneak Attack damage, you instead add 1d6 to your existing Sneak Attack damage.

This doesn't strike me as broken or unreasonable. It doesn't offer any way to enable the SA. Sure, using the variant Human rule might allow other classes to perform SA's as well as a Rogue of 1st/2nd level...perhaps drop the damage to 1d4 but let a Rogue (or any class that has SA as a feature) simply add another d6 to their existing SA.

*Edit: I've changed it from offering 1d6 to 1d4, but Rogue's instead gain an extra 1d6 to their existing SA. So offers SA to others, but Rogues are still the masters of it, and always better at it (damage-wise).
I’d make it different from normal sneak attack, like add proficiency to damage on any attack that would benefit from SA [shorthand], and make it 1d6+proficiency if you already have sneak attack.

Remove ads

Remove ads