D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Draconic Options

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC is called Draconic Options. It includes three variant Dragonborn races and a new kobold race, as well as a handful of new spells and feats. Dragonlance fans might do a double-take when they see Fizban's platinum shield (two Forgotten Realms dragons are referenced in the spells, too -- Icingdeath and Raulothim -- as is the FR god of fey dragons, Nathair)...

The latest Unearthed Arcana from WotC is called Draconic Options. It includes three variant Dragonborn races and a new kobold race, as well as a handful of new spells and feats. Dragonlance fans might do a double-take when they see Fizban's platinum shield (two Forgotten Realms dragons are referenced in the spells, too -- Icingdeath and Raulothim -- as is the FR god of fey dragons, Nathair).

Harness the power of dragons in this installment of Unearthed Arcana! This playtest document presents race, feat, and spell options related to dragons in Dungeons & Dragons.

First is a trio of draconic race options presented as an alternative to the dragonborn race in the Player’s Handbook, as well as a fresh look at the kobold race. Then comes a handful of feat options that reflect a connection to draconic power. Finally, an assortment of spells—many of them bearing the names of famous or infamous dragons—offer a variety of approaches to manifesting dragon magic.

2C0B9D44-8EE0-44C5-ABCA-8ABCA08DF322.jpeg

And I agree with Paul on that. I disagree with him that it is ignorance that would lead one to associate kobolds with reptiles. Or more correctly, the pejorative use of that word.
I was trying to think of some better way of putting it, but I really couldn't think of any. "Displays a lack of understanding of what a reptile is" isn't much better.

But you are the one trying to tell other people what they are thinking, which is a pretty offensive thing to do.

So no, I am not remotely tempted to think "reptile" or "reptilian" when I see that illustration and never have been. The ears and black shiny nose pretty much kill any sense of reptile so far as I'm concerned.

dave2008

Legend
But you are the one trying to tell other people what they are thinking, which is a pretty offensive thing to do.
That is definitely not what I am trying to do. If it comes across that way, I am sorry.
So no, I am not remotely tempted to think "reptile" or "reptilian" when I see that illustration and never have been.
That is fine, but we should try no to be limited by what we are tempted to think. Though I admit it is hard. Before we throw around terms like ignorance, we should try to understand perfectly reasonable conclusions can be obtain based on evidence, even if they differ from our own.
The ears and black shiny nose pretty much kill any sense of reptile so far as I'm concerned.
I get that. But I personally was not trying to describe it as a reptile, but as reptilian. It is not a reptile or mammal or fish, it is a kobold (a fantasy creature that defies classification).

EDIT: Paul I trust you were not trying to insult anyone and I understand your viewpoint. I also think you are intelligent enough to understand my viewpoint. I think we have both made mistakes in this discussion and I apologize for offending you. At this point I think I have said what I need to say.

Last edited:

dave2008

Legend
Because despite all swimming in the water and whatnot, they're not actually all that closely related to one another
I assumed that was the case. However, I was wondering how true that was? We used to classify birds as separate from reptiles. But now we know they are descendants of dinosaurs (which are reptiles). I was more curious if anyone has challenged these distinctions now that we have more information (not sure if we do on this subject though).

Last edited:

tetrasodium

Legend
Supporter
Epic
Just curious, what association would you make with kobolds, if you were forced to pick an extant "class" of animals:
  1. Agnatha (jaw-less fish)
  2. Chrondrichtyes (cartilaginous fish)
  3. Osteichthyes (bony fish)
  4. Amphibia
  5. Reptilia
  6. Mammalia
I'd go with this

7.Draconic (usually warm blooded mildly to significantly aorcerously inclined otherwise reptilian like creatures)

Mecheon

Sacabambaspis
I assumed that was the case. However, I was wondering how true that was? We used to classify birds as separate from reptiles. But now we know they are descendants of dinosaurs (which are reptiles). I was more curious if anyone has challenged these distinctions now that we have more information (not sure if we do on this subject though).
Technically they do have a common ancestor, but that common ancestor is also the ancestor of all tetrapods in general. Agnatha split first, then shark/ray line, then bony fish. then lobe finned

So the thing with 'fish' is that it should include amphibians, mammals and whatnot, as they're all part of what we consider lobe-finned fish, but it doesn't

dave2008

Legend
Technically they do have a common ancestor, but that common ancestor is also the ancestor of all tetrapods in general. Agnatha split first, then shark/ray line, then bony fish. then lobe finned

So the thing with 'fish' is that it should include amphibians, mammals and whatnot, as they're all part of what we consider lobe-finned fish, but it doesn't
Just curious, has anyone done genetic work to confirm this (I assume the classification comes from the fossil record)?

Remove ads

Remove ads