Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana Introduces The Artifcer

I don't think anyone saw this coming!

I don't think anyone saw this coming!

Datalore

First Post
If you don't play with optional rules, why are you looking at a UA?

You quoted poorly. I said I do not play with feat or multiclassing optional rules. I stated that "poorly designed optional rules" (like this class, incidentally) are bad and create imbalances. This does not mean that I am against optional rules in general. The DMG has plenty of great optional rules like no HP gain on long rest, more difficult item identification, etc. Its the rules where people get to make stupidly powerful characters that are basically one man parties that I tend to avoid.

dropbear8mybaby

Banned
Banned
This may be me being a little oblivious, but I've read it multiple times... How do you heal your robot servant? As a construct it can't be healed by healing magic, since it is immune to poison it is reasonable to assume potions won't be effective, there are no rules about repairing it to give it hp, just reviving it with 1 hp... so how does it regain hp? Does it die, and then just walk around with 1 hp until you can get to town and build a new one?

If there's a specific rule that says constructs can't be healed by healing magic, then I haven't seen it.

CapnZapp

Legend
That's for sure. Well, there wasn't really any point in revisiting the Ranger yet again, was there?
Sorry, what?

What does the Ranger got to do with any of this? :confused:

(By the way, the latest UA Beastmaster is a huge improvement over every effort that has come before IMO, including the PHB Beastmaster, so yeah, I'd say there was a point to it)

CapnZapp

Legend
Level 20 capstone ability...

You can attune up to 6 magic items, and you get a +1 bonus to all saving throws for each magic item attuned.

....say what???
Cool :)

Talk about a useful capstone! :)

(Balancewise I'm not concerned. What happens at twentieth level stays at twentieth level. Meaning: nobody cares about balance when the game is about to end, only that your own capstone is cool and powerful. And this one is :) )

akr71

Hero
Sorry, what?

What does the Ranger got to do with any of this? :confused:

(By the way, the latest UA Beastmaster is a huge improvement over every effort that has come before IMO, including the PHB Beastmaster, so yeah, I'd say there was a point to it)

Uhhh, because that is what would have come next if WotC had stuck with their re-visit PHB classes in alphabetical order like the previous weekly UA articles had been doing. I was not commenting on the worthiness of the latest Ranger UA article, just the unexpectedness of the Artificer... and however unexpected it was, that I was thankful that it was not a fourth Ranger UA article.

Crioni

First Post
I love the Artificer. Definitely a bit rough around the edges, and I've fiddled with it for my own usage. Bumped it up to a half-caster (it's pretty easy to set up a 5th level list for the Artificer), removed the Mechanical Servant (that would be perfect for a Beastmaster-esque subclass, but I dislike all Artificers getting it), and slightly increased the damage on the existing archetypes to compensate for the loss of the pet.

Really looking forward to seeing a final version in a future crunch book!

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads