Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana October 2017: Fiendish Options

So a bunch of fiendish subraces but only a point of ABS besides Charisma moved to other skills and some Legacy spells swaps, plus some cult spells and features.

It doesn't do much for my game.

Chaosmancer

Legend
I'm iffy on the tiefling options, they don't do a lot for me. It's nice to have in back pocket though if someone wants to switch some spells around.

The gold here for me are the new traits and boons for the various cults, as well as some hinted at lore for the various Archdevils. We haven't seen much of them in 5e, so it is nice to have some additional talk about what they want and how they operate for those of us who don't have a massive 2e and 3.X library to draw from.

And some of these are nasty. Spell Leech is just mean, Path of Levistus is aggravation incarnate, Baphomet's unnerring tracker is sooo potentially useful, the MArilith Serpentine Reaction is very fun.

Plus, this gives me something for those times when my players invariably want to make a deal with a devil or demon for more power, I can just slap some of these on there as a reward, or at least use them as a base.

How much more tempted to make a deal would people be if I offer the ability to psychically track their foes or to turn a normal strike into a critical once per battle instead of the generic "power" and then have to scramble when I forget that yes, my players will totally start asking "how much power and what is the starting price"

Very cool and very useful

Dualazi

First Post
The Tiefling options are kind of hit an miss, with an annoying amount of overlap on some options and some serious power creep on others.

The DM-centric options are where it shines though, pretty much all of that content is really good and I will probably use several of them the next time I need to run demon-themed organizations.

dave2008

Legend
Demonic boons? Mostly benefits with no downside (Zuggtmoy and Jubilex aside)? Well, that is interesting. I think they need to have a downside that comes into play when the boon is taken away, and perhaps an 'upkeep' requirement (sacrifices, etc...) to keep the booned entity loyal to their master.

Isn't the cult and boon information for DMs to apply to NPCs and monsters? I agree downside might be interesting for flavor, but I don't think you need them to use these effectively. They are just something to add to some monsters/NPCs to give them a unifying theme.

dave2008

Legend
Yet another bunch of boring, lazy options. More races with spells instead of imaginative, creative or interesting differences. And yet more power creep. Dex + Cha + minor illusion/disguise self and invisibility, really? That's 10x better than just about any other option aside from winged.

Be sure to give them the appropriate feedback then. From what we have seen/heard about XGtE to looks like they are listening.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Isn't the cult and boon information for DMs to apply to NPCs and monsters? I agree downside might be interesting for flavor, but I don't think you need them to use these effectively. They are just something to add to some monsters/NPCs to give them a unifying theme.

They are 99% meant for NPCs and monsters, but I think they make a great fall back to give to players when they make deals with dark forces.

In which case it is important to consider and write up some appropriate consequences.

Yeah, I agree that the cult stuff is by far the more interesting of the content here. It's easy to slap a combat together by saying, "8 cultists and 1 bearded devil"; it's harder to make that combat feel distinct from any other cultist combat, and having this kind of small but potent ability should help.

I seem to recall MM saying something about needing to stat up an archdevil on twitter a while ago. Now this article.....

If it was just devil-related options, I would say it might lead into next fall's AP (we are about due for a devil-themed one I think), but with the demon stuff too, it makes me think it is for the next winter book o' content.

As for the tieflings/cults, I guess I think of Asmodeus as more fear/control, with fire as secondary, whereas Mephisto (oops, wrong devil) and Fierna are more fire with other stuff secondary, so I probably would have made the PHB tiefling the default one for Mephy, and a more tyrannical one for Assy.

Dausuul

Legend
The tiefling part is really phoning it in. I mean, we've got a slew of tiefling subraces that... change the secondary stat bonus and swap out the spells granted by Infernal Legacy. That's it? Come on.

The NPC stuff is much better. I can definitely see using these abilities to grant a distinctive flavor to a cult or an evil minion.

This article reads like they had all the cultist stuff carefully thought out and written up, and about an hour and a half before deadline, someone said "But what about player options?"

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases