Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Psionics and Mystics Take Two

February's Unearthed Arcana article from WotC's Mike Mearls has been posted. This time around, the topic is psionics again "This month, Unearthed Arcana returns to the mystic character class and the rules for psionics. Based on the playtest feedback you sent us, there are a number of changes you can expect." The article expands the Mystic class to 10th level, and adds a variety of new options.

February's Unearthed Arcana article from WotC's Mike Mearls has been posted. This time around, the topic is psionics again "This month, Unearthed Arcana returns to the mystic character class and the rules for psionics. Based on the playtest feedback you sent us, there are a number of changes you can expect." The article expands the Mystic class to 10th level, and adds a variety of new options.

Find the article right here.

Trance

Explorer
For me, the fluff aspect of the class isn't the question. Fluff can always be changed per game.. Each DM could see it differently. I'm fine with that. The mechanics are the issue right now. which is why playtesting this is a must. Currently people are having issue with leather strike, via multi-classing, damage output etc. which is understandable. In my opinion, the large disparity between the Orders is the problem. So much in fact, why would anyone play the Awakened when the Immortal can do it better. Or play a Sorcerer/Warlock or Wizard that can unleash a fireball, or hold person a number of times per day, without the limitation of (long rest before use on that creature again).

BoldItalic

First Post
Fluff and crunch apart, magic is always going to be more capable than psionics in any culture where they co-exist. That's because, over time, wizards can develop new spells to mimic anything that psions can do, but psions can't arbitrarily evolve new powers to match wizards. Unless you write that into the rules. Unless you have a psionic power that lets you cast any spell, or a meta-power that lets you develop arbitrary new powers, colleges of wizards will always beat psions in the race for power and influence.

In game mechanics terms, it's because wizards have a class feature that allows them to acquire new spells whereas, in the present UA draft, psions don't.

Yes, you can create a psionic character who will be doomed to be hunted down by every wizard on the planet, or you can create a setting where there are no wizards at all, for the psion to flourish in, but is that what you want?

Trance

Explorer
looking at previous editions, psionics have always been on par with magic. the only limit to a psion is his imagination. Darksun is a great example of that mentality. (magic became cancerous and the only form of change in the world was driven from the mind)

Collages of wizards, conclaves of psion all perform the same task. They study the abilities that they possess and trying to either understand them more, or increase it's effectiveness. similar to the Jedi, and Hogwarts. lol

a sense of balance within the classes is always something to strive for..

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
There's no problem with some association between the Far Realm and Psionics. I'd expect it. It's got a solid vibe.

What there is a problem with is the suggestion that psionics is dependent on the Far Realm - that it is only an exclusively the Far Realm that makes psionics possible.

I don't need to make my shedu crusaders against the madness of the Far Realm; I don't need to make my Dark Sun wildlife mutations caused by unknowable horrors from beyond the stars; my psionic Yuan-ti don't need to be tapping the power of the Great Old Ones; my Kalashtar doesn't need to exist because of eldritch elder things.

It's a narrow narrative. It would be like if all warlocks had to be Fiend-pact warlocks (but some fiends are about madness and some fiends are about fluffy bunnies).

It's also a narrative not strongly supported by the mechanics of the class.

There's no problem with some association between the Far Realm and Psionics. I'd expect it. It's got a solid vibe.

What there is a problem with is the suggestion that psionics is dependent on the Far Realm - that it is only an exclusively the Far Realm that makes psionics possible.

I don't need to make my shedu crusaders against the madness of the Far Realm; I don't need to make my Dark Sun wildlife mutations caused by unknowable horrors from beyond the stars; my psionic Yuan-ti don't need to be tapping the power of the Great Old Ones; my Kalashtar doesn't need to exist because of eldritch elder things.

It's a narrow narrative. It would be like if all warlocks had to be Fiend-pact warlocks (but some fiends are about madness and some fiends are about fluffy bunnies).

It's also a narrative not strongly supported by the mechanics of the class.

The latest iteration of the fluff is actually fairly sparse on the Far Realms being the cause, indicating that psionics are indirectly a result of its influence. The description details that the warping of reality awakens abilities that already exist - all they really need to do is add a prepositional phrase: "[In most worlds,] the tumult caused by the Far Realm creates echoes that can disturb and awaken minds that would otherwise slumber." Then add another sentence, along the lines of "In others, some individuals have managed to awaken these abilities through sheer determination of will." Problem solved. This is just another iteration of the evolving text - I'm sure this isn't the final blurb that'll be published. It's definitely less tied to the Far Realm than the prior version.

Last edited by a moderator:

I'm A Banana

Potassium-Rich
The latest iteration of the fluff is actually fairly sparse on the Far Realms being the cause, indicating that the psionics are indirectly a result of its influence. The description details that the warping of reality awakens abilities that already exist - all they really need to do is add a prepositional phrase: "[In most worlds,] the tumult caused by the Far Realm creates echoes that can disturb and awaken minds that would otherwise slumber." Then add another sentence, along the lines of "In others, some individuals have managed to awaken these abilities through sheer determination of will." Problem solved. This is just another iteration of the evolving text - I'm sure this isn't the final blurb that'll be published. It's definitely less tied to the Far Realm than the prior version.

If they make that change, I'll probably shut up about the fluff.

But it's important to note that I'll judge the mechanics based on the fluff. If the goal of the mechanics is to help me tell a good story, it's important that the mechanics support the fluff they choose. If not, they're not doing their job.

That's why this is a bit foundational - without the right story, the mechanics could be brilliant or awful and it wouldn't matter to me. I'm not in desperate need of a new class. I can fix wonky mechanics if need be. Let me tell a compelling story with this that I can't tell with any other class, and I'm on for the ride. "You seek perfection through powers granted by the warping of reality" isn't a strong story, IMO - it's limited.

The story and the mechanics should also feed on each other. If you can easily ignore one of them, then I'd want that connection to be deeper.

procproc

First Post
I still think that is viewing the immortal wrong. He's not a primary melee combatant, he's a full caster who will get access to the equivalent of 9th level powers, and gets the same amount of power points as the more "castery" psion. The hybrid psychic warrior half progression hasnt been made yet. The immortal is more like a war cleric, valor bard, or bladesinger. A martial oriented "caster".

Well, first of all, I'm pretty sure this is going to be *the* psionic class -- we're not likely to get separate classes for psychic warrior and soulblade, so the Immortal is likely to be as close as we're going to get.

Second, the Immortal isn't a full caster in the wizard/cleric sense, she's a full caster in the warlock sense. Narrowly defined set of abilities, comparatively limited versatility, but with some kind of bread and butter combat move and a bag of magical/psionic tricks to fall back on. If Bladelock gets an extra attack, I'm not sure why Immortal wouldn't. (Current version of Lethal Attack notwithstanding.)

I could see implementing it in a way tied to the psychic focus mechanic. My first thought was just to make a greater Immortal discipline that gave an extra attack while focused in it, but those are still available to Awakened. I don't know that that's a *problem* per se, but it's not desirable. Another way to implement it would be to give the Immortal a subclass ability that gives an extra attack as long as she's psychically focused in an Immortal discipline. That results in an almost mandatory ability tax, which I don't like, but I don't mind too much because it's so easy to switch your current focus.

If they make that change, I'll probably shut up about the fluff.

But it's important to note that I'll judge the mechanics based on the fluff. If the goal of the mechanics is to help me tell a good story, it's important that the mechanics support the fluff they choose. If not, they're not doing their job.

That's why this is a bit foundational - without the right story, the mechanics could be brilliant or awful and it wouldn't matter to me. I'm not in desperate need of a new class. I can fix wonky mechanics if need be. Let me tell a compelling story with this that I can't tell with any other class, and I'm on for the ride. "You seek perfection through powers granted by the warping of reality" isn't a strong story, IMO - it's limited.

The story and the mechanics should also feed on each other. If you can easily ignore one of them, then I'd want that connection to be deeper.

The question is "what is the great psychic origin story?" I don't want to badmouth anyone, but all the ones so far are basically stolen from other classes:

Exposed to the Far Realm? Basically the Chaos Sorcerer story (exposed to something, gets powers) Spontaneously develops powers? I am pretty sure all the sorcerers should get together and sue for gimmick infringement. Studies really hard? The wizard, the monk, and the bard can claim that.

It seems like we need something more specifically psychic/mystic as the base story.

Yaarel

He Mage
In 5e, the narrative matters. The DM relies on both the fluff and the mechanics when adjudicating the consequences of actions.

The DM invents spontaneous mechanics to adjudicate narrative, and viceversa.

Unwanted narrative ruins the game.

Well, first of all, I'm pretty sure this is going to be *the* psionic class -- we're not likely to get separate classes for psychic warrior and soulblade, so the Immortal is likely to be as close as we're going to get.

Second, the Immortal isn't a full caster in the wizard/cleric sense, she's a full caster in the warlock sense. Narrowly defined set of abilities, comparatively limited versatility, but with some kind of bread and butter combat move and a bag of magical/psionic tricks to fall back on. If Bladelock gets an extra attack, I'm not sure why Immortal wouldn't. (Current version of Lethal Attack notwithstanding.)

Assuming nothing wacky happens at level 11+, structurally, the psion is a full caster operating off spell points like in the DMG, making them more in line with a sorcerer than a warlock. They have a good basic schtick in lethal strike, but combat wise they arent essentially eldritch blast on legs like a warlock. They get basically the same PSP's and power picks as the awakened mind, so they'll be tossing out implosions at 17th level as well. They shouldnt equal a hybrid warrior type in melee because they far excel them in casting.... err psioning.

It wasnt the extra attack I was necessarily taking issue with (I think favored souls get it too), it was comparing them to a hybrid half caster/half warrior, or expecting them to get significantly less power points than an awakened mind to pay for significantly ramped up combat abilities. They cant do that with the current class chassis, at least easily.

I could see implementing it in a way tied to the psychic focus mechanic. My first thought was just to make a greater Immortal discipline that gave an extra attack while focused in it, but those are still available to Awakened. I don't know that that's a *problem* per se, but it's not desirable. Another way to implement it would be to give the Immortal a subclass ability that gives an extra attack as long as she's psychically focused in an Immortal discipline. That results in an almost mandatory ability tax, which I don't like, but I don't mind too much because it's so easy to switch your current focus.

It does make the most sense to tie it to an immortal subclass feature than a power that the awakened mind can use. I had thought about expending focus to get an extra attack, but that's really fiddly remembering that "hey, normally I have a +1 to hit from psi weapon's focus, except for my extra attack and any AOO's I make until I regain it at the start of my turn." It they capped Lethal Strike at maybe 3PSP per strike (vs the 5 it is now IIRC), I think just giving them extra attack would work OK. Maybe just replace their d8 bonus damage with that, or move the d8 to a later level?

Remove ads

Remove ads