• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Starter Spells; Plus UA Returning To Monthly & Sage Advice Returning

Chaos Bolt is the first Sorcerer-only spell. Interesting. What I've read so far looks really good. I like the idea of Ceremony quite a bit, but some of the effects (Investiture!) might be a little overpowered.

Chaos Bolt is the first Sorcerer-only spell. Interesting.

What I've read so far looks really good. I like the idea of Ceremony quite a bit, but some of the effects (Investiture!) might be a little overpowered.

Lanliss

Explorer
Here are some thoughts on other spells:

Toll the Dead.
It's nice to have another necromancy combat spell. I suspect d12 is too much (even if it is contingent on the target already being wounded) -- esp. since the Death cleric's Reaper ability means that it can be twinned. This will make for a very nasty villain.

Guiding Hand.
This is remarkably powerful, and seems to take away (or at least reduce) a big part of the Exploration dimension -- or rather, changing the nature of the challenge, and forcing the DM to stymie the spell effect: "The hand stands 5' off shore on the quicksand sea..."

Primal Savagery.
It seems odd to me that the wisest druid in the forest does the most savage fingernail damage. I would much prefer to see it as a weapon attack and not a spell attack. Interaction with Shapechange hard to predict just reading it.

Puppet.
Easy way to disarm an opponent (drop a magic wand, magic sword, etc.). Combined with Luck or disadvantage, major combats might be over quicker than intended. Curiously, it will be disproportionately adverse vs. opponents who have already acted in the round (high-initiative), since once dropped another character can scoop it up, or whatever.

Sense Emotion.
With no save, I would expect public figures to have this being cast whenever in public -- instant detection of anyone wishing them ill.

Sudden Awakening.
I think it's meant to be a spell to deal with wandering monsters at night, but it's pretty cool as an anti-Sleep spell too.

Healing Elixer.
Replaces goodberry as the way to burn through remaining spell slots at the end of the day.

Unearthly chorus.
Bardic performance checks now amped up significantly, with 100 attempts to beguile your target for each song. It needs to have a clause adding that anyone who makes a save is immune from the effects of the spell.

Zephyr Strike.
This is an excellent spell, if only because (as has been noted) it offers a different way of rangering than Hunter's Mark. However, it makes you fast. Too fast. A regular Dash will now take you not 60' but 120'; a Rogue 2 with cunning action would be able to move 180'/turn.
A rouge 2 with a Haste spell can move (((30' + 30' [Zephyr]) x 2 [Haste]) x 4 [move, action, bonus action, additional action]) = 480', 520' if you are a Wood elf. zoom! 59 mph/95 kph!

Forget wood elf, Tabaxi can double it's speed for a turn. I would also use Monk instead of Rogue. Not as consistent, but a much larger spike. No chase will ever end in your enemies favor.

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
I just realized Healing Elixir isn't a Cleric spell, that's trippy.

I do like it, it's another option for turning unused slots into healing without the "are all those Goodberries making me fat?" conversations that inevitably happen. :)

I love it! Now, we can have our organic juice cleanse smoothies when we're tired of our organic granola acai bowls!

Hippies.

;)

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
Regarding the ceremony spell, I'd much prefer it if they simply expanded on the Performing Sacred Rites downtime activity. I feel like it would be a more appropriate way to model these ceremonies in the game. Having them all be part of a magic spell just doesn't sit right with me. If nothing else, it kind of makes the downtime activity obsolete.
Not really. It boosts the downtime activity, and/or becomes part of it.

Lanliss

Explorer
I love it! Now, we can have our organic juice cleanse smoothies when we're tired of our organic granola acai bowls!

Hippies.

;)

I like that it is included as a Warlock spell. Finally, a reason for a Big Bad to not have died already, and a way to give your Big bad's minions healing potions without letting your players get them all.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
I miss being able to see what classes get what spells in the spell description, it's one of the previous edition-isms that makes comparing different classes so much easier.

Spells:

Cause Fear
A wis Save VS frightened. Lower HP targets have disadvantage. 60 seconds max with no repeat saving throw.
This is possibly the best level 1 debilitation spell there is. Not because it's as "powerful" as it's piers, but rather because of it's consistency and staying power. This is a one-and-done spell, meaning the target can't break out of it unless you stop it. Given there are a number of ways to inflict disadvantage to a single saving throw, this spell will be a favorite.

Ceremony
Beneath the buffet of once per character benefits, and highly situational coverage points, there is the Investiture option. And that makes this spell OP as heck. It lets you give anyone the ability to cast any level one spell you can cast. Sure, it still comes out of your spell slots, but this spell is also a ritual, mitigating that problem significantly. Notable things include passing off your concentration check, self-buffs, and debuffs that only benefit the caster (like Hunters Mark).

Chaos Bolt
A Sorcerer only damage spell with exploding number of targets based on dice. Unfortunatly, the random damage type makes it undesirable for anyone. Sadly, it starts off by dealing less Average damage than Magic Missile. Also, it has just about the worst scaling possible, and doesn't play off of any of the Wild Mage's features until the capstone. It does, however, work with Twinned Spell and Empowered Spell.

All in all, it's a bad spell. Pump that damage, at least.

Guiding Hand
Basically, it's a compass that points leads you in a direct line from your current location to some important location that people know about.
Unfortunately, it's like the Arrow from Crazy Taxi, and it doesn't take into account important things like terrain, which can make the spell useless in most practical applications, and outright dangerous in some cases.

Hand of Radiance
A welcome addition to the Cleric Cantrip Arsenal. It's a Con Save, but it's an PBAoE with selective targets. Great, even melee clerics will want to get their hands on it.

Healing Elixir
A healing spell for Warlocks and Wizards? This is the end of times. Of note: It doesn't scale. Also of note: Wizards and Warlocks have oodles of ways to get more spell slots (and at some point unlimited level one slots). Even a 60 second casting time isn't very limiting when the vial of healing potion lasts for 24 hours. This spell has an novel placement of being both kind of crappy, because you can't use it emergency heal, and also kind of broken.

Infestation
A 1d6 Con save cantrip that does piercing damage. Normally, that would suck. However, this has an interesting rider: The target moves randomly when it fails the save, which can trigger OA's from you and all of their friends. Unfortunately, that rider triggers in a random direction, if the rider was a bit more controlled (even if simply away from you) it would be a contender for a decent CON targeting cantrip.

Primal Savagery
The Druid Cantrip.
This is reminiscent of the Mystic. You make a melee spell attack for 1d10 slashing or piercing damage (which scales). This is better than Shillelagh for Druids. Which is nice because Shillelagh is basically only useful for gish builds that cherry pick it from various optional rules or class features. The cantrip that should have been indeed.

Puppet
You take control of a target, have them drop whatever they are holding, walk by all your friends (triggering OAs) into whatever hazard is nearby.
Normally, these spells are tied to a Wisdom save. However this is a Con Save, which means the meatshields and monsters are going to laugh it off, while the squishy casters are going to eat mind-control, and possibly death. I think it's on-par with other control options at this level.

Sense Emotion
Why does this spell exist? I don't understand why telling you if the troll is angry would be worth using a spell slot and an action on. Wisdom(Insight) not only covers that, but also provides so much more, without much cost in the way of character resources.

Snare
A create trap style spell that is fun and useful due to it's primary counters being obscure skill checks.

Sudden Awakening
You can wake everyone up with a bonus action, but only if they are within 10' of you. They can stand up from prone for free, which is nice. But otherwise this spell is too situational and too restricted for anyone to learn.

Toll the Dead
It tolls for you. Also it deals more damage when you are hurt. It deals necrotic damage, but it also deals 1d12 damage. For clerics, it's the most damaging single target cantrip they have. For anyone else, I'm not sure I would pick this over Chill Touch, but the Wis save is a good argument for giving up the anti-healing rider.

Unearthly Chorus
Bards now come with their own backup singers. Unlike Charm Person, this is a very good social spell that doesn't penalize you if your targets make the save.

Virtue
A cantrip. As an action, you give someone 1d4+(casting mod) temp hp, but only for one round, and only if they already have 1hp. This spell sucks. Not worth picking, not worth using.

Wild Cunning
Tracking and Survival for the lazy outdoors-man. As a saving grace, it gives you advantage on survival checks as a ritual, so there is a use for it.

Zephyr Strike
Float like a butterfly and sting like a bee. good for extra speed in combat, but to what end? It doesn't stack with Hunters Mark, But a bonus action for 30' of movement with no AO's is kind of nice for running away.

Spell lists:

Bard:
No cantrips?
Unearthly Chorus is the kind of charm person bards always needed

Cleric:
Lots of cantrips, two of which are good. The rest of the spells need to be reworked.

Druid:
A few fun things, but lots of bad stuff.

Paladin:
Only gets the OP spell, heh.

Ranger:
Mostly chaff.

Sorcerer
Despite finally getting a unique spell, they still get mostly crap, and less crap than their piers at that.

Warlock
I find it very strange that Warlocks didn't get any new exclusive spells, considering they have more than a few exclusives to begin with.

Wizard
I touched on it before, but Healing Elixir is a questionable addition to the Wizards spellbook. And by that I mean I could see all the other Arcane casters getting it before they do, mostly because of their class features.

Closing thoughts:
I'm a bit disappointed that there are no new weapon cantrips.

It just hit me -- the Marriage Ceremony should have given a free Inspiration instead! After all, newlyweds are usually on Cloud Nine on their wedding day, right?

I'd be fine with letting someone use Inspiration on protecting a loved one any day. First though you have to rewrite the Inspiration mechanic though so that the bond/ideal/etc. is tied to how you use Inspiration instead of how you gain it.

raleel

Explorer
the potential for infestation and puppet to provoke OAs is rather excellent, though I think infestation has less than a 50% chance to do that. Still, very nice.

Chaosmancer

Legend
Cause Fear
A wis Save VS frightened. Lower HP targets have disadvantage. 60 seconds max with no repeat saving throw.
This is possibly the best level 1 debilitation spell there is. Not because it's as "powerful" as it's piers, but rather because of it's consistency and staying power. This is a one-and-done spell, meaning the target can't break out of it unless you stop it. Given there are a number of ways to inflict disadvantage to a single saving throw, this spell will be a favorite.

Missed that part, got to be a typo don't you think? Very, very few spells don't allow repeat saves, and none of the effects that already inflict fear do that.

Healing Elixir
A healing spell for Warlocks and Wizards? This is the end of times. Of note: It doesn't scale. Also of note: Wizards and Warlocks have oodles of ways to get more spell slots (and at some point unlimited level one slots). Even a 60 second casting time isn't very limiting when the vial of healing potion lasts for 24 hours. This spell has an novel placement of being both kind of crappy, because you can't use it emergency heal, and also kind of broken.

To be fair, by the time Wizards can spam this infinitely A) 2d4+2 is very little healing and more importantly B) Most groups could just as easily buy a metric ton of 50 gold potions that have the same effect.

Still, at-will healing is something to watch out for, perhaps tack on a small gold cost to the spell as well? Though the potential economics of this spell are also troubling.

Thinking more about Ceremony. I think the thing I like most about it is it helps give me an idea for all the vaguely magical rituals clerics can do. Upcast this with a special reagent for X effect or Y effect. It gives me a place to put a lot of vague story element abilities that don't really fit any where else. And since clerics prep spells per day, they never need to worry about if it is too powerful a spell to pass up, because they just grab it when they need it.

Remove ads

Remove ads