Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: The Artificer Is Here! & UA Schedule Changes

Not liking the shape of this. It's certainly powerful in a batman-utility sort of way, but I didn't expect the Artificer to become a "Must Have Pet" class. My potion thrower is gone, and the party Beastmaster is giving me side-eye. Unless you can put Returning Weapon on the potions you throw.

Not liking the shape of this. It's certainly powerful in a batman-utility sort of way, but I didn't expect the Artificer to become a "Must Have Pet" class. My potion thrower is gone, and the party Beastmaster is giving me side-eye.

Unless you can put Returning Weapon on the potions you throw.

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
This has nothing to do with what somebody would rule.
Only that it is worded strangely.

Yet you already admitted as to how you would rule it, which speaks to understanding the intent behind the wording and how the effect would play out in game.

[...]That's certainly not how I'm going to run it in my game, since the intent is pretty clear to me.

I also hope that it's cleared up in another playtest packet of the artificer or in the final wording, but if it still weirds you out in the meantime, I'd suggest asking Jeremy Crawford, he responds quickly to rules questions asked of him.

Ash Mantle

Adventurer
On the other hand, if we could synergise the summoning of the turret using a spell slot with casting a bonus action spell beforehand that'll also be excellent. Then it could play out like how as a paladin you could bonus action blinding smite and then divine smite with your attack action.

Staffan

Legend
If the wording had been "when you expend a spell slot", you might have had a case. But it's "by expending a spell slot."

Summoning the turret takes an action and the use of your smith's tools. You can do this for free once per long rest, or more often by expending spell slots. This is clear as glassteel. If it was intended that just using the spell slots recovered the ability, the wording would be similar to that of the Wild Magic Sorcerer's Tides of Chaos, which reads:
Starting at 1st level, you can manipulate the forces of chance and chaos to gain advantage on one attack roll, ability check, or saving throw. Once you do so, you must finish a long rest before you can use this feature again.

Any time before you regain the use of this feature, the DM can have you roll on the Wild Magic Surge table immediately after you cast a sorcerer spell of 1st level or higher. You then regain the use of this feature.

The equivalent for the turret would be: "Once you use this feature, you can’t use it again until you finish a long rest or expend a spell slot for any reason."

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads