• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Travelers of the Multiverse

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/travelers-multiverse Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 10.45.04 PM.png

Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

JEB

Legend
RE: Small characters being able to be as tall as Medium ones, I think this is really a non-issue. I can’t imagine anyone who actually wants to play a Small character choosing to be more than like 4’, maybe 4’6” tops, unless they’re just being deliberately contrarian. This is a problem that only exists in the heads of people who actively trying to poke holes.
I'm not an optimizer, at all, but I can see someone declaring their character to be both capital-S Small size for any perceived game advantages, yet tall enough to argue with their DM that they can override any story-based disadvantages of being lowercase-s small. Having height/weight ranges for at least generic "Small" and "Medium" characters would be a nice minimum to avoid such silly but frustrating potential issues.

If they don't plan to concern themselves with differentiating Small and Medium PCs in any lore sense, then they might as well just eliminate Small-sized PCs and be done with it. If we can have Medium characters that are basically Large characters, why not also have Medium characters that are basically Small characters? Give them a "Diminutive Build" trait or something. (This wouldn't be my preference, to be clear, but it would avoid the issue.)

I’d be surprised if the anniversary PHB doesn’t have about as much information on each race in it as the current PHB does. But, I do expect that information will either focus primarily on non-cultural information (because race is not culture), heavily emphasize that it’s talking in generalities and your character isn’t beholden to them, or some combination of both.
I'd hope they do the latter (generalities with an emphasis on your character being whatever they want). Even better if they describe multiple possible cultures, which players could implicitly mix and match when building their own character background; that should be easy for Wizards to do, since they already have multiple cultures for most races.

Standard human gets +1 to all ability scores, so there’s no problem because it doesn’t shoehorn them into any particular subset of classes. Variant human I imagine will lose the bonus proficiency and language and get the same floating +2/+1 or +1/+1/+1 as everyone else plus a Feat.
I just noticed this:
When you create your D&D character, you decide whether your character is a member of the human race or one of the game’s fantastical races, which include the races presented in this article.
So you may be right, humans will be treated completely separately from non-human races, and quite possibly will have their own rules for ASIs instead of the standard +2/+1 or +1(x3). I suppose that's one solution. That would also give them leeway to keep Variant Human largely the same as before, so long as they define it as cultural influence (which I imagine most folks assumed anyway).

You know, I would not be the least bit surprised if those defaults are in the anniversary edition monster manual. Doesn’t the current monster manual have a table for applying race features to NPCs? That seems like the best place for “default” racial ASIs to me.
The DMG is where the racial features for NPCs are located, at least as of 2014 5E. I suppose that could be one place to put ASIs in 2024 5E. However, many players will never read a book outside the PHB, so the convenient location for that information - that is, the place it would be useful for quick-build purposes other than "optimize for your class!" - is still the PHB.

overgeeked

B/X Known World
I don’t think this is really for a Spelljammer book. I mean, the Giff could be, but they could also be for something else - for instance, the Minsc and Boo book. Thri-Kreen I’m pretty convinced are for Dark Sun (despite also existing in Spelljammer), and Astral elves I’m pretty sure are testing the waters for changes to high elves in 50AE. Remember, they tend to try to obscure what product UAs are testing for.
They also tend to be quite rubbish at it. The only ones I remember the fans not nailing inside of ten minutes were the subclasses that ended up in Xanathar’s and Tasha’s. The artificer variants...hey Eberron. The psionic stuff...hey Dark Sun. The gothic lineages and classes were a giveaway. Either Ravenloft or the spooky MtG setting. The dragon races and classes were obvious. Dragon-themed book. The fey ancestries was obvious. Something fey related. Not the specific product or name, obviously, but the setting or theme. Whatever this is for is heavily drawing from Spelljammer. Whether it’s a setting book, an anthology adventure, an AP, or a Manual of the Multiverse...we don’t know. But it’s obviously got a heavy Spelljammer vibe.

So four Spelljammer races. One iffy race and a Spelljammer and Dark Sun race. What’s that tell you? Apparently anything but Spelljammer. Sure. That makes total sense.

Scribe

Legend
RE: Small characters being able to be as tall as Medium ones, I think this is really a non-issue. I can’t imagine anyone who actually wants to play a Small character choosing to be more than like 4’, maybe 4’6” tops, unless they’re just being deliberately contrarian. This is a problem that only exists in the heads of people who are actively trying to poke holes.
Those damn body building Halflings....every time I think I get away from them... ;)

Charlaquin

Goblin Queen (She/Her/Hers)
Again, 4 of the 6 races are definitively Spelljammer-specific, a fifth is more general, but still a big Spelljammer power, and the last is a mystery race, but one that can easily be interpreted as another Spelljammer faction. If 5/6 of the races presented would be in a Spelljammer book, and the other one could quite possibly be, why think it's for anything but that? Ockham's Razor here, folks...
Occam’s Razor states that all else being equal, the simplest explanation is most likely the correct explanation. My position is that all else is not equal in this situation. Certainly I do think this likely points towards a Spelljammer book on the horizon, but I don’t think that fits all of the races presented here, and UA has a track record of lumping playtests for multiple books together (see the Strixhaven owl people are called being in the same UA with faeries and Harengon) and actively disguising the fluff of the material being tested (lots of examples, but the “Greek options” UA with centaurs and minotaurs comes to mind). I think that’s likely going on here too, and that we’re seeing a mix of Spelljammer and Dark Sun material here (and we do know there are two classic settings on the schedule), as well as some subtle testing of the waters for possible Anniversary Edition changes. I think that is a more complete explanation of what we’re seeing here than it all being for Spelljammer, which means those explanations are not equal in all other ways than their complexity, and therefore Occam’s razor is not applicable.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I wonder why there aren't any Scro in this UA. They're one of the main Spelljammer races, definitely larger players in the setting than Thri-Kreen, and Astral Elves are an entirely new concept. It's kinda interesting how they're ignoring one of the main races of Spelljammer and making another entirely new race for the setting.

But that does bring up the question: do Scro have a place in D&D 5e? In previous editions they were basically just "Orcs, but backwards!" (literally and lorewise), that had a Lawful alignment, were more civilized and militaristic than the Orcs (were basically Hobgoblins culturally), and were intelligent.

Maybe Scro could just use the Hobgoblin racial features, or a revised version for whatever book these races are being published in. Or, they might be ignored entirely and just retconned out of the setting.

Anyone have any thoughts/opinions on this? Do Scro have a place in the new 5e design philosophy for races?
Just make Orcs and put them in space. Boom, Scro.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
They also tend to be quite rubbish at it. The only ones I remember the fans not nailing inside of ten minutes were the subclasses that ended up in Xanathar’s and Tasha’s. The artificer variants...hey Eberron. The psionic stuff...hey Dark Sun. The gothic lineages and classes were a giveaway. Either Ravenloft or the spooky MtG setting. The dragon races and classes were obvious. Dragon-themed book. The fey ancestries was obvious. Something fey related. Not the specific product or name, obviously, but the setting or theme. Whatever this is for is heavily drawing from Spelljammer. Whether it’s a setting book, an anthology adventure, an AP, or a Manual of the Multiverse...we don’t know. But it’s obviously got a heavy Spelljammer vibe.

So four Spelljammer races. One iffy race and a Spelljammer and Dark Sun race. What’s that tell you? Apparently anything but Spelljammer. Sure. That makes total sense.
The Centaur and Minotaur tests for Ravniva were successfully obscured.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Occam’s Razor states that all else being equal, the simplest explanation is most likely the correct explanation. My position is that all else is not equal in this situation. Certainly I do think this likely points towards a Spelljammer book on the horizon, but I don’t think that fits all of the races presented here, and UA has a track record of lumping playtests for multiple books together (see the Strixhaven owl people are called being in the same UA with faeries and Harengon) and actively disguising the fluff of the material being tested (lots of examples, but the “Greek options” UA with centaurs and minotaurs comes to mind). I think that’s likely going on here too, and that we’re seeing a mix of Spelljammer and Dark Sun material here (and we do know there are two classic settings on the schedule), as well as some subtle testing of the waters for possible Anniversary Edition changes. I think that is a more complete explanation of what we’re seeing here than it all being for Spelljammer, which means those explanations are not equal in all other ways than their complexity, and therefore Occam’s razor is not applicable.
I mean, if let's say that Spelljammer and Dark Sun are both coming next year...they might put Thri-Keen in both. They published the Goliath in two books last year, and the Glory Paladin and Orater Bard in two other books. But the Spelljammer is heavy with this test.

Leatherhead

Possibly a Idiot.
The Centaur and Minotaur tests for Ravniva were successfully obscured.
Ravinica is exactly why they no longer obscure what they are testing. Nobody could figure out what the School of Invention was going for and it blew up in their faces (heh). So lately, like with the Strixthaven UA, they have been more open about what they are testing.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Ravinica is exactly why they no longer obscure what they are testing. Nobody could figure out what the School of Invention was going for and it blew up in their faces (heh). So lately, like with the Strixthaven UA, they have been more open about what they are testing.
Quite the contrary, they obscured what they were doing with Tasha's and with the Strixhaven material in the Feywild test, and effectively.

I don't think they care that people didn't have context for the Invention Wizard: they want to know if people aren't interested in an idea, like the Invention or True Namer Wizards.

Remove ads

Remove ads