D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Travelers of the Multiverse

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/travelers-multiverse Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 10.45.04 PM.png

Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Possible, but the biggest thing hurting a Star Frontiers/Spelljammer/Planescape release is that all three of them have competing cosmologies. So, either they are getting blended (which could be incredibly cool) or one is going to take precedence.

And having to account for MTG as well makes it even more of a question mark of how you blend them. Not impossible by a long stretch, but at that point I almost wonder if they don't make a 5th cosmology setting with elements from all four.
Mixing Star Frontiers with Spelljammer at least makes more sense to me than "Planejammer." Like with like, and all that.

It woudl be a real twist if this turns out to be Star Frontiers, actually, it's almost so weird it may be true.

Scribe

Legend
And having to account for MTG as well makes it even more of a question mark of how you blend them. Not impossible by a long stretch, but at that point I almost wonder if they don't make a 5th cosmology setting with elements from all four.
:sick:

And therein lies the problem.

I have a problem, and the only answer, is more Great Wheel/Sigil!

:sick:

And therein lies the problem.

I have a problem, and the only answer, is more Great Wheel/Sigil!
You know, so far it seems that, other than the Exandria adventure, they're lining up 2022 as a sort of a "Year of the Multiverse". We already know that we'll have a book called Monsters of the Multiverse and the UA is titled "Adventurers of the Multiverse". So, if the May release does end up to be just plain Spelljammer, I wouldn't be surprised if, to keep up with the theme, the second setting book is Planescape. And that the September adventure is planar/multiversal in theme.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Possible, but the biggest thing hurting a Star Frontiers/Spelljammer/Planescape release is that all three of them have competing cosmologies. So, either they are getting blended (which could be incredibly cool) or one is going to take precedence.
Spelljammer and Planescape do not have competing cosmologies. They work perfectly well in unison, just like they did in 2e. As for Star Frontiers, I can't really speak to that. The last time I looked at was in the 1980's and I barely played it.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Mixing Star Frontiers with Spelljammer at least makes more sense to me than "Planejammer." Like with like, and all that.

It woudl be a real twist if this turns out to be Star Frontiers, actually, it's almost so weird it may be true.
That would be the one thing guaranteed to get me to pass the book up. I'm not a fan of sci-fi games.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Spelljammer and Planescape do not have competing cosmologies. They work perfectly well in unison, just like they did in 2e. As for Star Frontiers, I can't really speak to that. The last time I looked at was in the 1980's and I barely played it.
Spelljammer and Planescape have compatible cosmologies, but not compatible genres or tropes.

Maxperson

Morkus from Orkus
Spelljammer and Planescape have compatible cosmologies, but not compatible genres or tropes.
True. But you wouldn't play a campaign set fully in both simultaneously. I would have a spelljamming port in Waterdeep, though, bringing in goods from space, while still running a ground campaign that is using the great wheel.

Remove ads

Remove ads