D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Travelers of the Multiverse

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen. https://dnd.wizards.com/articles/unearthed-arcana/travelers-multiverse Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 10.45.04 PM.png

Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

Sourcebooks with more classes are sold better, and if WotC doesn't it, then it will be by 3PPs, for example Dreamscarred Press, or a rehush of Pathfinder's Occult Adventures. Maybe WotC should hire Dreamscarred Press as outsider for the psionic powers, and others like the (ki) martial maneuvers and the reboot of the incarnum.

We don't know if the crystal spheres could be retconected. Maybe the Vodoni empire shatered after an event linked about a crossover Power Rangers, Transformers and Zoids and an experiment about reverse engineering to create a totem-construct version of the bionids (living symbionts) that went totally wrong (let's imagine the borgs of Star Trek but summoning the power of dinosaur totem spirits. Yes, it is a totally crazy idea, and I love it). The Realmsphere could suffer radical changes after the Sundering event, and waves of refuges from the shatered Vodoni empire could be arriving asking help.

We may need some reason to explain because the astral plane became the main interglobal trade route. Maybe the Spelljammers were too expensive, the Gith pirates and the corsairs from the Vodoni empire launched too many raids, or relatively safe paths were discovered in the astral plane.

Well, it turns out that book will be a Critical role Adventure Path, which is rneat. You left off what seems most likely to me, straight up Spelljammer.
There is zero possibility of that. Absolutely none. There's no way they're doing stuff like bringing back helms working the way they did in SJ and just no way the rather over-complicated and odd way gravity, atmosphere, phlogiston and so on worked. So 4 is basically that.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
There is zero possibility of that. Absolutely none. There's no way they're doing stuff like bringing back helms working the way they did in SJ and just no way the rather over-complicated and odd way gravity, atmosphere, phlogiston and so on worked. So 4 is basically that.
On what grounds? We do already have a fully functional Spelljammer helm and Spelljamming ship already in 5E. This is a Spelljammer UA. The odds seems decent for the stars to align.

jasper

Rotten DM
On one hand, haha I don't mind laughing at some odd concepts.

On the other hand... slime people are just a bizarre set of biology that is FASCINATING. Take a moment to ignore the whole "no bones and no skin" think about this, they have a completely diffused nervous system. Every spot on their body is equally sensitive to a variety of stimuli. Would they have to taste everything they moved against unless they focused on not doing it? Then think about how they'd need to adjust sleeping. They can't sleep on soft surfaces, but they also might need to consider the taste of their bed.

This one of the most bizzare sets of biology we can conceive, and it raises so many questions I'd be eager to try and figure out.
See the last 20 years of Schlock Mercenary. But even knowing how the FlubberKin work in lore and science will not help create an interesting PC.

Levistus's_Leviathan

5e Freelancer
Dungeon of the Mad Mage literally had a Spelljamming Helm in it. It worked a tiny bit differently from original Spelljamming Helms (it produces air for the ship, doesn't consume your spell slots), but it was there.

So, yeah, the odds of them bringing back Spelljamming Helms that work more or less as they did in 2e are actually pretty likely.

Last edited:

Chaosmancer

Legend
Star Frontiers could be cool but it has some pretty specific races associated with it, none of them in this UA. So that would be a strange choice I think.

Actually... ignore the names a second and they line up pretty well.

Dralasites are Plasmoids
Vrusk are Thri-Kreen
Yazirian are Hazodeed
Mechanons are Autognomes

Then you have humans as humans. The only race that doesn't fit from this UA are the Astral Elves. And space elves are pretty easily added.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
Actually... ignore the names a second and they line up pretty well.

Dralasites are Plasmoids
Vrusk are Thri-Kreen
Yazirian are Hazodeed
Mechanons are Autognomes

Then you have humans as humans. The only race that doesn't fit from this UA are the Astral Elves. And space elves are pretty easily added.
I mean...

Why not both ;)

Chaosmancer

Legend
I mean...

Why not both ;)

Possible, but the biggest thing hurting a Star Frontiers/Spelljammer/Planescape release is that all three of them have competing cosmologies. So, either they are getting blended (which could be incredibly cool) or one is going to take precedence.

And having to account for MTG as well makes it even more of a question mark of how you blend them. Not impossible by a long stretch, but at that point I almost wonder if they don't make a 5th cosmology setting with elements from all four.

Remove ads

Remove ads