D&D 5E Unearthed Arcana: Travelers of the Multiverse

New free content from WotC - the latest 4-page Unearthed Arcana introduces six new races: astral elf, autognome, giff, hadozee, plasmoid, and thri-kreen.

Screen Shot 2021-10-08 at 10.45.04 PM.png

Looks like Spelljammer and/or Planescape is back on the menu!

Last edited:

It's crazy that there's never been an adventure dedicated to mindflayer and gith conflict, being that they are actual dnd IP.
For what it's worth, there's an Extra Life adventure called Rrakkma that is all about playing a unified gith hunting party going after mind flayers - I think it was made in conjunction with Mord's Tome of Foes. Used to be purchasable on DDB, though doesn't seem to be anymore, but it is available on DMs Guild.

Chris Perkins actually talked about why we haven't seen a mind flayer centric adventure in a seminar. He was working on a horror-themed adventure that was based on mind flayers in space controlling people on Faerun. The problem he kept running into is that with a mind flayer you are pretty much two unlucky rolls away from instant death at any time, and that can make running an enjoyable long-term campaign difficult. The proposal was eventually shelved for that reason.

It's crazy that there's never been an adventure dedicated to mindflayer and gith conflict, being that they are actual dnd IP.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
Well, the "Phandelver Campaign" next year is supposed to be "tinged with cosmic horror." And Gith and Mindflayers, and their conflict, have been a recurring side motif across the 5E Adventures. Since Phandelver is the final 5E Adventure, expanding on the first 5E Adventure, maybe theynwillbbring it full circle and close with a bang. Nothing as exciting as a cosmic war for reality.
I suspect it won't be anything as big as that. WotC, rightly IMO, doesn't want Lost Mines to go out of print (as distinct from the D&D Beyond presence) with the discontinuation of the Starter Set. I imagine the adventure will be extended through level 10 or so and we'll learn more about the origins of the mine and what happened to shut it down originally.

Since there's already a light tie to the Underdark, in the form of the Black Spider (spoiler for a very old adventure), it wouldn't be hard to add some additional Underdark areas beneath it. I do think mindflayers are a good bet -- maybe the Black Spider's actions in Phandelver are a response to mind flayer pressures in the local Underdark -- but bringing in the gith feels like a very major turn from what we've seen before.

I think we're going to see a preservation and expansion of arguably the best low level adventure ever, not a rewriting of it to make it something completely different.

Parmandur

Book-Friend
I suspect it won't be anything as big as that. WotC, rightly IMO, doesn't want Lost Mines to go out of print (as distinct from the D&D Beyond presence) with the discontinuation of the Starter Set. I imagine the adventure will be extended through level 10 or so and we'll learn more about the origins of the mine and what happened to shut it down originally.

Since there's already a light tie to the Underdark, in the form of the Black Spider (spoiler for a very old adventure), it wouldn't be hard to add some additional Underdark areas beneath it. I do think mindflayers are a good bet -- maybe the Black Spider's actions in Phandelver are a response to mind flayer pressures in the local Underdark -- but bringing in the gith feels like a very major turn from what we've seen before.

I think we're going to see a preservation and expansion of arguably the best low level adventure ever, not a rewriting of it to make it something completely different.
Well, the original is short enough, that any full campaign will have a lot of room. It will be interesting to see where they go with it.

Chris Perkins actually talked about why we haven't seen a mind flayer centric adventure in a seminar. He was working on a horror-themed adventure that was based on mind flayers in space controlling people on Faerun. The problem he kept running into is that with a mind flayer you are pretty much two unlucky rolls away from instant death at any time, and that can make running an enjoyable long-term campaign difficult. The proposal was eventually shelved for that reason.
Ugh, "balanced combat" strikes again. Maybe the mindflayers could be a far off threat like the Borg.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Gnometown Hero
For what it's worth, there's an Extra Life adventure called Rrakkma that is all about playing a unified gith hunting party going after mind flayers - I think it was made in conjunction with Mord's Tome of Foes. Used to be purchasable on DDB, though doesn't seem to be anymore, but it is available on DMs Guild.

What a weird and disappointing thing for them to make legacy content.

They should associate the file with Monsters of the Multiverse instead.

A gith unification movement going out to hunt mind flayers is too badass to let slip away into the dustbin of history.
I don't necessarily disagree, but while the gith racial statblocks were updated for MotM, the full chapter of gith lore was not - that's presumably the underlying rationale behind the decision.

JEB

Legend
I don't necessarily disagree, but while the gith racial statblocks were updated for MotM, the full chapter of gith lore was not - that's presumably the underlying rationale behind the decision.
Huh. Are they also planning to significantly overhaul githyanki/githzerai lore in 2024? Any clues in the statblocks?

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases