Unearthed Arcana Unearthed Arcana: Wizards & Warlocks -- Hexblades, Raven Queens, and Lore Mastery!

Master of Hexes Starting at 14th level, you can use your Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but when you apply it to a new target, the curse immediately ends on the previous target. Does this mean you can cast it one more time, or over and over again? And does the 1 minute duration reset upon a new target, or does it continue from the previous target?

Master of Hexes
Starting at 14th level, you can use your
Hexblade’s Curse again without resting, but
when you apply it to a new target, the curse
immediately ends on the previous target.

Does this mean you can cast it one more time, or over and over again? And does the 1 minute duration reset upon a new target, or does it continue from the previous target?

Ganymede81

First Post
While I agree that there is no real need to lock the invocation with a specific weapon, I did find it not stupid, but rather flavorful that they chose a flail to mimic a property inspired by tentacle attacks, with the reach and "grabbing" (i.e. 0 move) thing.

Then again, it makes it incompatible with the PHB's Great Old One Pact Weapon suggestion of an ancient-looking spear with an eyeball in the haft.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
If you were playing a wizard and, instead of being given arcane recovery you were given an arcane pool the same size as the sorcerer, that you can only use to create spell slots, would you feel it was a nerf or an upgrade to the wizard? Now, if you add to this pool the possibility to do something else, such as to enable metamagic, would it again be a nerf, because now you will need to share this resource between different functionalities? If you could use your arcane recovery to do something else, anything else that you could find useful, would that be worse for you because now you may be compromising your ability to recover spell slots?
Yep. Having a resource than can do X+Y > resource than can only do X.

zaratan

First Post
just checked that moon bow don't work with swift quiver, and any small race will fire with desadvantage because is a longbow, poor archer goblin :(

Gadget

Adventurer
If you were playing a wizard and, instead of being given arcane recovery you were given an arcane pool the same size as the sorcerer, that you can only use to create spell slots, would you feel it was a nerf or an upgrade to the wizard? Now, if you add to this pool the possibility to do something else, such as to enable metamagic, would it again be a nerf, because now you will need to share this resource between different functionalities? If you could use your arcane recovery to do something else, anything else that you could find useful, would that be worse for you because now you may be compromising your ability to recover spell slots?

Given all the other features that wizards have over sorcerers, this is somewhat of a straw man argument. If a wizard had some of the things the class was expected to do, its main shtick, tied to a resource that also used Arcane Recovery, would you consider that an upgrade? Like say, to use some of the cool subclass features that wizards have, perhaps--I don't know--Portent, would your consider that an upgrade? It depends on how it was implemented, if the ability allowed more uses of Portent by sacrificing Arcane Recovery slots, then certainly. But if it was an either or situation? Not so much of an upgrade. What if you had to spend Arcane Recovery slots to power Sculpt Spells, Empowered Evocation, Potent Cantrip, and Overchannel? Is that an "upgrade"? No, it is not.

CM

Adventurer
I have a sneaking suspicion that the boys are just trolling us with the Loremaster to see if we're paying attention. Its Spell Secrets and Alchemical Casting abilities are absurdly powerful.

jrowland

First Post

I should have said sorcery points, not metamagic. You get more slots than base casters based on sorcery points. Full stop. The sorcer can use these extra slots for metamagic. The wizard has base slots, he must use those to get some metamagic. X(base caster) + Y (sorcery points) > X(base caster) - Z(lore sacrificing slots). So on that score, sorcerer wins (more slots, more metamagic options)

Lore can swap energy type. That is powerful, I agree, but I think in practice its not as great as it might seem. *IF* you (as a caster) only have one energy type prepared, and *IF* you encounter a creature(s) resistant/immune to that type, then it matters.

1/rest switching a stat for saves? Again, pretty awesome. 1 per rest. But realistically, if I am targeting a good stat (say con for brute) I swap to a dump stat for a brute (dex, eg). What is that? +5 vs -2 at the most extreme? In a way its like 1/rest Disadvantage to a save. Not huge by any means.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads