• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unpopular opinions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
It's okay to like stuff that's bad. I love "Howard the Duck" even though it's widely understood to be a terrible movie. And that's okay! I can't help it if nobody else appreciates a master of quack-fu.

You don't need a list of increasingly farfetched reasons to "prove" something is The BestTM in order to like it.

Faolyn

(she/her)
Burgers are ruled by a queen. Her name is Jucy Lucy.
5_8_Pub_Images_16.7.jpg
Oh gods, that cheese and sauce are horrifying.

J.Quondam

CR 1/8
The stories in the pulp magazines, especially the hero pulps, are some of the most entertaining, if not the most entertaining stuff you’ll ever read. Imagine getting a 40-60,000 word novel every month…or twice a month…starring Doc Savage or The Shadow. And so much fun to read.

If you’re not familiar, the pulp heroes were the precursors to comic book superheroes. Think street-level superheroes with less spandex, more violence, and better slang.
For anyone interested in sampling pulps of all sorts, the Internet Archive has digitized a ton of them:

That link points to a handful of collections of different publications spanning 1890s to 1980s or so, in the usual genres like sci-fi, fantasy, western, romance, and so forth. (Not much heroes, though, afaict.) It's a pretty random selection of mags, but it's fun to just pull one at random and flip through old pulpy stories of "two-fisted adventure and torrid romance!"

(
And of course, these things are definitely "products of their time," so keep that in mind.)

Aldarc

Legend
It was said that the Holy Roman Empire was neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire. I think that it's about the same when it comes to a lot of fantasy adventure roleplaying games, including D&D, when it comes to its fantasy "medieval European" inspired backdrop. It's mostly these things in name only. It neither feels medieval nor European. It feels modern and American in its thinking, tone, and manner. And many of the appeals I hear GMs make to "medieval Europe" for their world-building or simulationist decision-making logic often goes off gross misunderstandings and misinformation about the European Middle Ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads