• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Unpopular opinions go here

Status
Not open for further replies.

CleverNickName

Limit Break Dancing (He/They)
It was said that the Holy Roman Empire was neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire. I think that it's about the same when it comes to a lot of fantasy adventure roleplaying games, including D&D, when it comes to its fantasy "medieval European" inspired backdrop. It's mostly these things in name only. It neither feels medieval nor European. It feels modern and American in its thinking, tone, and manner. And many of the appeals I hear GMs make to "medieval Europe" for their world-building or simulationist decision-making logic often goes off gross misunderstandings and misinformation about the European Middle Ages.
"No but see, it has castles and swords and dragon mythology! Those are all exclusive to medieval Europe! Um, and Renaissance Europe too, I guess. Okay, and Scandinavian. And Asian too, if you consider certain fortifications--look, we're getting off track. D&D is clearly inspired by medieval Europe!"

R_J_K75

Legend
Airplane II: the Sequel was better than Airplane. Jim never has a 2nd cup of coffee....

If you watch and listen most of what people quote from those movies is from #2. Although "We said the White Phone, Give Me Hamm on 5, Hold the Mayo" is classic

overgeeked

B/X Known World
Airplane II: the Sequel was better than Airplane. Jim never has a 2nd cup of coffee....

If you watch and listen most of what people quote from those movies is from #2. Although "We said the White Phone, Give Me Hamm on 5, Hold the Mayo" is classic
“Shirley, you can’t be serious.”

“Stewardess, I speak jive.”

The sob story that kills other passengers.

The inflatable pilot blowup job.

The Hare Krishna airport gang war.

Roger, Roger with Kareem Abdul-Jabbar.

Airplane 1 is an absolute classic.

R_J_K75

Legend
The Hare Krishna airport gang war.
Theres one part when Ted Striker beats the piss out of a Harri Krishna in one punch walking through the airport. Its really funny
Airplane 1 is an absolute classic.
Dont get me wrong, AP1 is great, Zucker Bros and Im so glad there was never a 3rd movie. Are the Zucker Bros still alive? In all greatness those two movies couldve been put into one. naughty word Wed its comic book day. I got drunk Monday night, watched Airplane 1 and Airplane II: the Sequel, both twice in a row.

AIRPLANES ROCK my money is on the F-14, F-15, F-16 or the F-18 Hornet. You want to put a MX missile through Kadafi's front door, you go with one of those

It was said that the Holy Roman Empire was neither Holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire. I think that it's about the same when it comes to a lot of fantasy adventure roleplaying games, including D&D, when it comes to its fantasy "medieval European" inspired backdrop. It's mostly these things in name only. It neither feels medieval nor European. It feels modern and American in its thinking, tone, and manner. And many of the appeals I hear GMs make to "medieval Europe" for their world-building or simulationist decision-making logic often goes off gross misunderstandings and misinformation about the European Middle Ages.
D&D (and therefore most fantasy adventure RPGs) is "America if America had a medieval age that contains its expressed (though not lived) values, as though it were backported to the Middle Ages." It's actually a really intriguing concept to me.

Reynard

Legend
Supporter
Writing walls of text for why you dislike this game or that is not an efficient use of your time and effort. Also, nobody is going to read that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads