Unusual Sandwiches

Dannyalcatraz

Schmoderator
Staff member
Supporter
You know how sometimes you pair things up on the plate, and everything just clicks? Not just tastes good, but somehow, just work better together than you’d imagined? That happened to me tonight.

I made another one of my sandwiches: toasted sourdough with bacon, dill havarti, radish sprouts, mayo and yellow mustard. And I served it with sliced campari tomatoes drizzled with lemon infused EVOO, tarragon vinegar, chives, black pepper, and sea salt, plus a bowl of chilled black grapes. It was a tasty meal, no matter what bite I took next.

But going from sandwich => grapes => tomatoes => sandwich proved to just fortify each other’s flavors as the meal progressed. I got stuck in that loop.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
The sandwich I discovered late last year at restaurant, that I hope I can get back to when things re-open, is a "Carolina Hot Brown". 8 ounce hamburger steak cooked to temp on Texas toast and topped with mashed potatoes and our Cabernet Mushroom Brown Gravy. It's lot better than the orignal Hot Brown from Louisville (which was the most disappointing Turkey sandwich I ever had).

Finally realized I could just get one carryout...

Attachments

• IMG_20200915_201014.jpg
    IMG_20200915_201014.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 111

rgoodbb

Adventurer
Finally realized I could just get one carryout...
That certainly pushes the boundaries of the sandwich! Is there a good spillage effect when you bite into this this?
Not sure if spillage is the right word. Overflow, Emittance, Evacuation. No probably not evacuation.

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
That certainly pushes the boundaries of the sandwich! Is there a good spillage effect when you bite into this this?
Not sure if spillage is the right word. Overflow, Emittance, Evacuation. No probably not evacuation.

I guess that's an important question, is an "open-faced sandwich" still a sandwich? (Does being designed to be eaten with a fork outweigh the fact it has bread buried at the bottom?).

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
I guess that's an important question, is an "open-faced sandwich" still a sandwich? (Does being designed to be eaten with a fork outweigh the fact it has bread buried at the bottom?).

In the Middle Ages, folks often used a "trencher" (basically, a large round of bread) as dishware... that you'd then eat (or give as alms for the poor to eat).

This could make pretty much any meal into a sandwich.

rgoodbb

Adventurer
If you can wrap the contents, does that then allow for the enchilada, calzone, roti or puri? I mean we are not far from the pizza here. What more would sombrero-man allow?

Cadence

Legend
Supporter
If you can wrap the contents, does that then allow for the enchilada, calzone, roti or puri? I mean we are not far from the pizza here. What more would sombrero-man allow?

I was starting to type an answer, but got stuck. What type of bread counts for a sandwich? Is a tortilla or pita the thing of a sandwich, or do they define their own class of foods?

Remove ads