[UPDATED AGAIN] Gary Gygax's Widow & TSR Settle Trademark Dispute

Gail Gygax has just sent me a short statement regarding the resolution of a trademark dispute between herself and the owners of Gygax Magazine. Gail is, of course, the late Gary Gygax's wife, and some of the owners of the magazine are his sons [update - both left the company a while back]. A quick look at USPTO.gov reveals the trademark application by Gail Gygax in 2013, which I'm given to understand was challenged by TSR, Inc. that same year. TSR, Inc. was formed a couple of years ago to produce the (at the time) new Gygax Magazine; it's not the original TSR founded in 1973 and sold to WotC in 1997. The statement reads as follows.

Gail Gygax has just sent me a short statement regarding the resolution of a trademark dispute between herself and the owners of Gygax Magazine. Gail is, of course, the late Gary Gygax's wife, and some of the owners of the magazine are his sons [update - both left the company a while back]. A quick look at USPTO.gov reveals the trademark application by Gail Gygax in 2013, which I'm given to understand was challenged by TSR, Inc. that same year. TSR, Inc. was formed a couple of years ago to produce the (at the time) new Gygax Magazine; it's not the original TSR founded in 1973 and sold to WotC in 1997. The statement reads as follows.

The Gail C. Gygax Revocable Trust, owner of the intellectual property of the late E. Gary Gygax, and TSR, Inc., a corporation formed by Jayson Elliot, Tim Kask, Ernie Gygax, Luke Gygax and James Carpio have reached a mutually agreeable resolution of their trademark dispute at the United States Patent and Trademark Office. Pursuant to their agreement, the Trust will license the Gygax Magazine trademark to TSR on a non-exclusive basis.

UPDATE: I've been informed by a representative of Luke and Ernie Gygax that both of them left the company. Mrs. Gygax reached a settlement with TSR, Inc., and Luke and Ernie have both withdrawn from TSR as a result of the settlement. Neither of them are affiliated with the company any longer.

Ernie Gygax has now made a public Facebook post about the matter which makes it clear that this settlement was not arrived at amicably.

It is with a heavy heart that I have had to remove myself from TSR and GYGAX magazine. Benoist and I will continue to share original old school gaming. All of which I learned at my fathers side, just as Luke and I also learned how to repair shoes in our youth. I am awake now at 2:42 AM as foolishness infringes on my ability to even enjoy a sound nights rest. I am proud to one of Gary's many offspring and just wish that I had his drive and fortitude to generate material as he did. Yet the acorn doesn't fall far from the Oak and the work that will be created will be in honor of his memory. I wish it to be said that both Tim Kask and R Scott Taylor refused to sign the deal as well when asked.

So it sounds like both parties have reached an agreement, that's it's far from amicable, that Gail Gygax's trust owns the Gygax trademark, but that the trademark is licensed to TSR, Inc. The statement doesn't indicate how long that license is for, or whether any other terms are attached. And, of course, the trademarked name is the actual name of Gygax's sons Luke and Ernie, which is why they refused sign the settlement.

You can see the trademark applications here at USPTO.gov. Gail Gygax made an application on March 4th, 2013. Gygax Magazine #1 was released the month before that, in February 2013. TSR, Inc made an application for the same trademark on September 30th, 2013. There are some similar entries for other dates.

You'll find Gygax Magazine here. It appears that Gail's trust also made an application for Gygaxian on August 7th this year.

A little background - I know most who read this know who Gary Gygax was, but new people are coming into the hobby all the time. This is the super-short version. Gary Gygax and Dave Arneson (both sadly passed) co-created Dungeons & Dragons back in the 1970s. The whole history of Gygax and TSR is fraught with conflict - Gary was ousted from the original TSR, he and Arneson fell out, and of course Gail Gygax and the new TSR, Inc. (which until recently included Gary's sons Luke and Ernie) have been embroiled in the above legal dispute for two years. This long interview with Gary Gygax is a fascinating read. The whole history has been, to put it mildly, litigious!

GygaxMag.jpg

Dire Bare

Legend
My disagreement is the thought that the community has zero business trying to discern the events that have transpired. Lucas, even before selling SW to Disney, didn't own Star Wars; the fans did. I feel the same way about a lot of the things the Gary was involved in. And it goes far beyond just the things that were still his IP. His memory, his accomplishments, his legacy - those are ours.

Gail/whoever does not "own" Gary's legacy, we do. X person won't live indefinitely, but hopefully, Gary and Dave's accomplishments can be appreciated for at least a few more decades.

If the 'family dispute' was over who gets the cat's ashes when it dies... you're right, that is not our business. But when IP, lawsuits, and family members are losing their jobs are all involved... we're going to ask questions.

Before he sold to Disney, Lucas very much DID own Star Wars, lock, stock, and barrel. As a fan, you own nothing. Your enjoyment of Star Wars and your participation in the hobby or fandom of Star Wars, that's yours. Fans had no say in Lucas' decision to sell to Disney, and they don't have a right to know any of the details of the sale or why Lucas chose to do so. If Lucas chooses to share his thoughts and reasons (which, I'm fairly certain he did), that's his call.

Gygax's "legacy" is no different. Gail very much DOES own the rights to Gary's work and IP, and DOES have control over his legacy, or at least an aspect of it (the memorial and his name). Gary's fans do not own anything other than their own enjoyment, memories, and participation in the hobby Gary started.

Memorial or no memorial, publication of Dangerous Journeys or no publication, Gary's legacy is not diminished, tarnished, or otherwise lessened.

How Gail Gygax chooses to manage her husband's legacy (to the degree that she can) is her business. If she defrauds donors to the charity (which we have ZERO evidence of), that's a bit different. But otherwise, we have no say, legally or morally.

You might guess I'm not one to support fan entitlement. YMMV.

Mark CMG

Creative Mountain Games
Reading some of the comments on ENWorld, Tenkar's blog, and other places regarding the rift between Gail and Gary's sons, there is a lot of mean-spiritedness, accusations, and name-calling from folks (. . .)

(. . .) the fan community, as our loudest voices are impatient, insulting, armchair quarterbacking, and more than a bit whiney.

The worst of it comes from you, time and again. You repeatedly stir the pot to try and steer folks from discussing the situation and the facts, and to ask questions. You repeatedly tell others that the discussion should not be taking place and that no one has any business doing so. I disagree with your position and find your tactics less than helpful.

Flexor the Mighty!

18/100 Strength!
I do have to wonder where the memorial donations are going and why tax returns for the non profit are not being disclosed as required.

In any event It is sad that when Gary died the project in process, Castle Zygag was pulled from TLG and then Gary's IP has been sitting for how many years now with no indications that anything else is going to come out of it. At least I got material to use for a few games from Gygax magazine, including an adventure written by Ernie. The whole situation is just a bummer.

Cody C. Lewis

First Post
Sorry man. I just don't agree with you.

Since you continue to say that this is not our business, I will rebuttal with our concern is not your business.

I very much look forward to Gail's responses in regards to the memorial.

Dire Bare

Legend
This is turning into a Shakespearean tragedy. (I can't say Gygaxian, there is a trademark on that.)

No way man, if this was a Shakespearean tragedy, then everybody would be dead by now!

If this were a Gygaxian tragedy, then one party would have slain the other, and taken all of their stuff!

S'mon

Legend
Luke and Ernie weren't not really involved in Gary's creative endeavors. That's a fact. Post-TSR they really didn't contribute a lot to Gary's creative endeavors. Luke played in Gary's DJ and LA campaigns, while Ernie stuck to board games.

Luke & Ernie Gygax wrote Lost City of Gaxmoor - http://www.rpg.net/reviews/archive/classic/rev_6613.phtml - I remember giving my
account of GMing it on ENW, and Gary Gygax told me it made him consider playing 3e
D&D! :) They were definitely involved with Troll Lord Games and the RPG industry.
Gary Gygax was a co-writer on Gaxmoor with them, he provided details on the magic statues.

Related Articles

Remove ads

Remove ads