[UPDATED - With Cubicle 7] Games Workshop Concluding Deal For Licensing Rights To Warhammer Fantasy

Jer

Legend
Supporter
This will be a hard sell as the first inclination of a publisher with a new edition is to redo all the core stuff.

Although the trend right now is nostalgia, and Cubicle 7 is a British company. Just like 5e D&D was a reversion back to prior editions of the game I could see a new edition of WHFRP reverting back to something more like a mix of 1st and 2nd edition to try to get the folks who checked out for FFG's 3rd edition back on board. It would follow current trends to take those 2nd edition rules, trim then down and modernize them even more, and then release it with an art design that evokes the first edition of the game to entice skeptics to pick it up.

fritsk

First Post
Although the trend right now is nostalgia, and Cubicle 7 is a British company. Just like 5e D&D was a reversion back to prior editions of the game I could see a new edition of WHFRP reverting back to something more like a mix of 1st and 2nd edition to try to get the folks who checked out for FFG's 3rd edition back on board. It would follow current trends to take those 2nd edition rules, trim then down and modernize them even more, and then release it with an art design that evokes the first edition of the game to entice skeptics to pick it up.

Yup, but will we see any new content, or just rehashes of what has been done 3 times already?

bsmith

First Post
WFRP4 will be drastically different from 1st, 2nd and 3rd editions reflecting both the new licensees approach to game design (which by all accounts is good) but more drastically by GWs current Sigmarine setting (which has had a mixed reception) and all the new fluff and content that offers. I can hear the WFRP grognards baulking already!

I doubt GW granted the license with the intention of resurrecting their original (and best IHMO) Old World setting, but to sit along side their Age of Sigmar setting to open a new sales avenue to sell their stock of minis to (i.e. those who like to RPG with figures and battle maps) and also as a gateway to cross sell their core WFB game.

ZWEIHÄNDER is being released this year and my money is heading there instead.

ilsundal

Villager
Also vote for Old World setting, not Age of Sigmar. I fully trust C7 to make an excellent game engine that fully captures the "grim and perilous" mood (and finally frees us from the percentage-based skills of the 1st and 2nd edition).

ilsundal

Villager
Btw, could C7 run this as a kickstarter? Probably unlikely... but it could be really great for fans to be closer to the project. I also think this would make a better final product.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Btw, could C7 run this as a kickstarter? Probably unlikely... but it could be really great for fans to be closer to the project. I also think this would make a better final product.

I know that GW don't usually let their licensees use KS.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Could they make OGL Warhammer D&D, or would that be a step too far?

A licensee doesn't have the authority to designate it's licensor's IP as open content. GW itself would need to sign off on that, and that ain't gonna happen!

Remove ads

Latest threads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases