[UPDATED] WotC To Close Forums - Including D&D and M:tG (aka "Welcome New Forum Members to EN World!

WotC has announced that it will be closing its forums, which they refer to as a "former foundation of our community". The forums will close on October 29th. Of course, WotC's forum members are welcome here at EN World (although the expectations are a little different, so please do check the rules if you sign up!) The forums have been around for nearly two decades, in various incarnations, but WotC cites the rise of social media platforms as the reason for the closure.

WotC has announced that it will be closing its forums, which they refer to as a "former foundation of our community". The forums will close on October 29th. Of course, WotC's forum members are welcome here at EN World (although the expectations are a little different, so please do check the rules if you sign up!) The forums have been around for nearly two decades, in various incarnations, but WotC cites the rise of social media platforms as the reason for the closure.

Here's the announcement in full.

Choosing to retire a former foundation of our community was not an easy decision, but we feel that we must adjust our communications structure to reflect where conversations about Wizards of the Coast games are taking place.

Social media has changed significantly over the last ten years, and discussions about games aren't exclusive to company-hosted forums. The majority of community conversation takes place on third-party websites (such as Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, and many other fantastic community-run websites), and it is up to us to evolve alongside our players.

We encourage past and current users to retrieve any information you want to retain from the Community Forums for both Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering. The shutdown will occur on October 29, 2015, at 10:00 a.m. PT. We want to provide enough time for our forum members to move their content, and we recognize that given our forum's vibrant user base and extensive history, this may take time. Any information still on the forums on the cut-off date will be deleted.

Thank you to all of our past and current forum users. You helped build our community into what it is now, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you on our many active social platforms.

WotC's Trevor Kidd had a little more to add.

"I could hop onto all the forums having this discussion or I can say it here and let it disseminate. I'm choosing the former. Moving away from running our own forums doesn't mean we think longer conversations or fan sites/forums aren't good or necessary. They are both good & necessary. From what I'm seeing, they flourish and you enjoy them more when they are run/managed by fans.

DnD & RPGs in general are all about story telling & talking with friends. It makes sense that we want to share those stories. So, it's vital that we have places to share those experiences & stories, like forums & fansites. But it's not vital that #dnd run those.

Closing our forums does not in any way lessen our interactions. We'll still be talking & lurking in your social media & fan sites. And the idea that forums are going away because dnd &/or magic are doing poorly - that's ludicrous! :p Both are doing very, very well.

We'll still be talking with you here, and elsewhere. Enjoy your new forum homes and don't forget to migrate your treasured content!

On the topic of losing forum content - it's tough, I agree. Once we knew we were going to close the forums, we also knew we weren't going to maintain the community site indefinitely, so we opted to pull the band-aid off quickly rather than let it linger."

Welcome to new members!

If you're a refugee from WotC's forums, you are very welcome here. You can register here at EN World by clicking here. You'll find out community busy and vibrant, and generally welcoming. We've been here over 15 years now, and there is tons of useful content here and lots of great resources which you're welcome to explore. These include:

(Announcement spotted initially by Critical Hits on the Twitters).

Aaah, the old WotC forums! - The first online community I ever joined, apart from some chat rooms, or social networks. Not sure who still remembers me (then, my username was "Ivid", IIRC), or who is still around, but thank you all for the good times! :)

I last posted there in 2007, and really stuck to more occult places, like Frat, DF, or Canonfire, but this one will always remain the place that *got it all going*, so to speak. :)

[video=youtube;TyTMJtAopfE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyTMJtAopfE[/video]

Hi question where in the setting can you set what kind of e-mails are automaticly sent from forum activity.
I like getting mails if I'm quated but getting a e-maileverything sombody adds something to a tread in witch I have a post is flooding my inbox

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
Hi question where in the setting can you set what kind of e-mails are automaticly sent from forum activity.
I like getting mails if I'm quated but getting a e-maileverything sombody adds something to a tread in witch I have a post is flooding my inbox

There might be other ways, but here's what I know:

Settings (upper right-hand side of this browser window) > General Settings (left-hand menu, under My Settings/My Account) > and then there's a section called Messaging & Notifications in the middle of the page where you can set your default subscription notifications and so on.

EthanSental

Legend
Supporter
I might not check out the WoTC forum before they close....it's turned into a sugary sweet good bye love song in every section...like it's a high school graduation hug fest where everyone is starting their own goodbye thread.

In the product and general discussion forum there are/were 7 different threads started by people saying good bye, just on the first page alone.

Last edited by a moderator:

Remove ads

Remove ads