[UPDATED] WotC To Close Forums - Including D&D and M:tG (aka "Welcome New Forum Members to EN World!

WotC has announced that it will be closing its forums, which they refer to as a "former foundation of our community". The forums will close on October 29th. Of course, WotC's forum members are welcome here at EN World (although the expectations are a little different, so please do check the rules if you sign up!) The forums have been around for nearly two decades, in various incarnations, but WotC cites the rise of social media platforms as the reason for the closure.

Here's the announcement in full.

Choosing to retire a former foundation of our community was not an easy decision, but we feel that we must adjust our communications structure to reflect where conversations about Wizards of the Coast games are taking place.

Social media has changed significantly over the last ten years, and discussions about games aren't exclusive to company-hosted forums. The majority of community conversation takes place on third-party websites (such as Reddit, Twitter, Facebook, Tumblr, and many other fantastic community-run websites), and it is up to us to evolve alongside our players.

We encourage past and current users to retrieve any information you want to retain from the Community Forums for both Dungeons & Dragons and Magic: The Gathering. The shutdown will occur on October 29, 2015, at 10:00 a.m. PT. We want to provide enough time for our forum members to move their content, and we recognize that given our forum's vibrant user base and extensive history, this may take time. Any information still on the forums on the cut-off date will be deleted.

Thank you to all of our past and current forum users. You helped build our community into what it is now, and we look forward to continuing to interact with you on our many active social platforms.

WotC's Trevor Kidd had a little more to add.

"I could hop onto all the forums having this discussion or I can say it here and let it disseminate. I'm choosing the former. Moving away from running our own forums doesn't mean we think longer conversations or fan sites/forums aren't good or necessary. They are both good & necessary. From what I'm seeing, they flourish and you enjoy them more when they are run/managed by fans.

DnD & RPGs in general are all about story telling & talking with friends. It makes sense that we want to share those stories. So, it's vital that we have places to share those experiences & stories, like forums & fansites. But it's not vital that #dnd run those.

Closing our forums does not in any way lessen our interactions. We'll still be talking & lurking in your social media & fan sites. And the idea that forums are going away because dnd &/or magic are doing poorly - that's ludicrous! :p Both are doing very, very well.

We'll still be talking with you here, and elsewhere. Enjoy your new forum homes and don't forget to migrate your treasured content!

On the topic of losing forum content - it's tough, I agree. Once we knew we were going to close the forums, we also knew we weren't going to maintain the community site indefinitely, so we opted to pull the band-aid off quickly rather than let it linger."

Welcome to new members!

If you're a refugee from WotC's forums, you are very welcome here. You can register here at EN World by clicking here. You'll find out community busy and vibrant, and generally welcoming. We've been here over 15 years now, and there is tons of useful content here and lots of great resources which you're welcome to explore. These include:

(Announcement spotted initially by Critical Hits on the Twitters).

Last edited by a moderator:

Agamon

Adventurer
What makes you both say "difference in expectations"?

What would you say are the five biggest differences between the forums?

Just curious.

Not sure why five are needed, but there is a one important one. The site has rules for posting, and they are quickly and strictly enforced. That is a big difference, and it shows.

Barantor

Explorer
Interesting, but honestly forums are outdated as a mode for communicating with a customer base. Many companies are holding onto forums out of tradition and many don't use them at all for getting new information out to their players.

Discussion communities like this one are where forums shine not as bulletin boards for a product.

Paraxis

Explorer
The number one rule of ENworld to me at least is still "Don't say anything which would offend Eric's grandma.".

I try and remember that when I post here, but sadly forget about it most other places and upset people.

I like the the grandma rule, and hope any new members of the community take the idea behind it to heart.

cmad1977

Hero
But no, seriously, guys, there's no trouble at all over at WotC.

I don't think closing that fetid latrine that is the WoTC forums is indicative of any problems. If anything it's a wise business move. Reallocating resources to more valuable areas is smart. Plenty other sites provide the same service and now WoRc doesn't have to worry about it.

FWIW: I wouldn't host forums for our community. Too many keyboard warriors lacking basic social skills.

DLIMedia

David Flor, Darklight Interactive
To be quite honest, the new forum software they chose to use was abysmal. It's not a coincidence that pretty much every PbP game I played on there died within days of the forum update.

TwoSix

Dirty, realism-hating munchkin powergamer
The number one rule of ENworld to me at least is still "Don't say anything which would offend Eric's grandma.".

I try and remember that when I post here, but sadly forget about it most other places and upset people.

I like the the grandma rule, and hope any new members of the community take the idea behind it to heart.
Yea, but now we have to explain to everyone who Eric is. Not everyone knows that he's a half-fiend love child.

WackyAnne

First Post
While it may not be the way the majority of D&Ders communicate these days, there is still huge volumes of valuable player-created content on those forums. That stuff should really be archived; unfortunately it'll have to be done manually, as WotC has "norobots.txt" up on its site, meaning the Internet Archive can't access it. I hate how much terrific stuff was lost when they revamped the website w/o warning a year ago - only a small percentage of the stuff can be re-found under "archive.wizards.com". So much for keeping material on every edition alive again for playing with 5E...
Certainly we don't need to keep conflict and toxicity, but this is the equivalent to throwing the baby out with the bathwater...

Remove ads

Remove ads

AD6_gamerati_skyscraper

Remove ads

Recent & Upcoming Releases