• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Using 3rd party stuff.

Weregrognard

First Post
Frankly, I don't look at it in terms of "3rd party" and "non 3rd party". They are all stuff I can use for my favorite game. Then again, I've never been a brand name kind of person. Seriously, EyeontheMountain, you owe it to yourself to check out some stuff outside WotC. If you're worried about "official" quality, keep in mind that in many cases the so called "3rd party" stuff is written by the same peple who write the WotC books.

CaptainChaos

First Post
While it's true there has been a bunch of really crappy third party stuff, there have also been some really great ones, many of which are better than WotC's offerings. It just requires to a llittle research to separate the pearls from the swine. I use good 3rd party books because I like good books that make my game better.

Darklone

I play a lot in Kalamar, so I use their stuff. And it rocks.

Actually they provided several variant baseclasses and other mechanics for magic items before WotC did.

Edheldur

First Post
EyeontheMountain said:
Why do you use non-WOTC stuff? If you do, of course.
Simple. There's a lot of talented people developing gaming stuff that don't work for WotC, or didn't work some time ago. Take Ari Marmell and Mike Mearls. Before they wrote stuff for WotC they were (to some) just "3rd party guys" and didn't even read their products. Now, they both are working for WotC and suddenly are "great designers/developers". They both have been writting good gaming material for some time.

I don't really care if a product is WotC official, or d20, or OGL.... if I like it, I like it. That's it.

EyeontheMountain said:
So I wonder, what does 3rd party add to you game? How does it make your experience better?
It provides me with different options that WotC doesn't, and me and my players like that.

Lockridge

First Post
For years I was a "name brand" kind of guy. I'd look at the black and white 3rd party stuff and compare it to the WOTC books that were in colour and on nice glossy paper and I'd buy the WOTC book.

That was until I tried some 3rd party stuff. Now I almost never buy WOTC anymore. My reasons:

1. 3rd party products were/are much cheaper in pdf format. The price factor was the first thing that lured me. When WOTC first released their pdfs, they were the same price as the printed book which seems wrong to me.
2. Talented designers and authors. WOTC does not have the monopoly on talent.
3. Different flavour of material. WOTC is more corporate in its releases. Designers are required to conform to "product pushes" or marketing efforts. Good ideas are sometimes put on the backburner or twisted to meet the needs of WOTC's marketing goals. Independent designers are not limited in this way or at least the limit is much less. Independent designers are more able to express their creativity.
Someone might correct me if I'm wrong but I seem to recall one of the designers of the 3E DM guide saying that there is no chapter on mass combat because it would have conflicted with another product line - Chainmail, I think.

WOTC does produce some good material but it is only one of many providers. The difference is really just the gloss.

findar

First Post
In the beginning of the OGL, I did. But now there are just too many different products. When it comes to OGL stuff now, I only buy stuff that is very different from WotC realeased rules. If someon in my campaign wants to use someting in a non-WotC book, they need to own the book and get it cleared by me. There are just too many books now to read and own them all.

Angel Tarragon

Dawn Dragon
I definetely use third party material. I am prone to modifying the core rules and use third party material as a refrence and inspiration, but sometimes I love one piece of a larger object, that I just yank it off and integrate into my stuff.

My fave inspirational books: Arcana Evolved, Everquest, Nyambe, Ptolus, Stargate, Complete Book of Eldritch Might, Relics & Rituals I & II, Experts 3.5 & Gary Gygax's World Builder.

Ranger REG

Explorer
EyeontheMountain said:
This is not to start an argument, but I am honestly curious

Why do you use non-WOTC stuff? If you do, of course.

I just do not. Not ever. Partly it is living in Japan, partly it is to have a common base for my online games, partly it is general satisfaction with the D&D game WOTC prints, partly ?????????

So I wonder, what does 3rd party add to you game? How does it make your experience better?
They think outside of the box. Even though the common rules is D&D, every game played be every group is different. Sometimes some of WotC stuff are not what you hope for, so look for a better alternative for your game.

It's easier since my group is not in any RPG tourneys nor worried about their ranking in RPGA since they're not members of the organization.

You shouldn't closed your mind toward third-party product. They might surprise you.

Remove ads